Options

CCNA Voice Lab (for the home)

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    woisch wrote: »
    @Peanut
    you have an older IOS and CME 4.1 how could i install CME 4.1 ?

This question was not directed at me but I will try to answer.

You can't. The version of CME is built into the IOS package. It is not a matter of never having more or older having less. It is a matter of "This particular IOS has this installed with it."

Please reference my list! I have posted it three times now: Cisco Unified CME and Cisco IOS Software Version Compatibility Matrix [Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express] - Cisco Systems

If you want 4.1 you are going to need 12.4(15).
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    woischwoisch Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, and only the "T" IOS ?? In the matrix i can only see 12.4(15)T7 ...
    i spoke all the time from 12.4(15) without T and i thought peanut too, sorry fpr the misunderstanding.

For this i have not enough DRAM...
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    woisch wrote: »
    Ok, and only the "T" IOS ?? In the matrix i can only see 12.4(15)T7 ...
    i spoke all the time from 12.4(15) without T and i thought peanut too, sorry fpr the misunderstanding.

For this i have not enough DRAM...

Yes, you need the T version. T versions add features, the non-T only addresses bugs

You most likely need to upgrade your RAM and/or flash
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    chmorin wrote: »
    You can't. The version of CME is built into the IOS package. It is not a matter of never having more or older having less. It is a matter of "This particular IOS has this installed with it."

Just to get this through my skull. If i download and install 12.15T adv. enterprise to a 2611xm CME is part of the ios so now the router has cme installed on it.

Thanks for the help.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    Just to get this through my skull. If i download and install 12.15T adv. enterprise to a 2611xm CME is part of the ios so now the router has cme installed on it.

Thanks for the help.

You are correct.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    By adding a voice capable IOS, in your case adventerprise, the router will have the IOS feature set for CME. This will allow you to configure and run everything, apart from IP phones.

But it will still lack the necessary "support" files needed for the GUI, IP phone firmware, and to a lesser extent ringtones and music-on-hold. These come in a TAR file and match the IOS version. So the IOS c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T11.bin would need the CME file cme-125-15T.tar
  • Options
    Gotcha.. That makes more sense to me now. Thanks for all the help guys!!

Ive got a nm-2v a vic-2fxs and a 2fxo coming as well as 2 7960g phones and the ccna voice book coming tomorrow. I am ready to start, the expiration clock is ticking.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    Quick question. Would a 1721 still need a pvdm to support 1 or 2 cisco VoIP phones? Just want to connect it to my 2611xm over a t1.
  • Options
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    Quick question. Would a 1721 still need a pvdm to support 1 or 2 cisco VoIP phones? Just want to connect it to my 2611xm over a t1.

I was able to get my 1760V to support three cisco phones without having a pvdm. The 1721 is a device that I have never used for anything more than a simple T1 connection and basic routing. It looks like you could pop CME 3.1 or something like that into it. You could probably make the phones ring in a lab environment without issue.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    Thanks i will give it a try.
  • Options
    boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    How can I get Call Manager Express and the Cisco CME Quick Configuration Tool. I am having trouble finding either.

I know I may not be able to download them but I know someone who can as long as someone points me in the right direction.

I plan on using it on a 1760
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very good write up! I'm currently studying for my CCNA. Is there any way to setup calls without having an actual phone line? I have family over in the UK and would love to setup my own voice lab and send it over to them.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Thanks, I enjoyed writing it, but it really needs to be renamed now as it was written for IIUC and not ICOMM but they are both known as CCNA-Voice.

For calls without an actual phone line there are 2 posibilities, setup a router with CUCME as your "HQ" and another to simulate the PSTN using E1/T1 VWICs, or setup a router with CUCME and have it connect via SIP over your DSL/Cable service which is probably what you are thinking of (or use a 3rd party ATA instead). Most ISPs provide SIP, mine supplies 1 DID number free and has flat rate call costs nationally/v.cheap international, or you can go with a 3rd party SIp supplier. Going with your ISP removes 1 extra hurdle if you run into problems down the track.
  • Options
    BrandonvickersBrandonvickers Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently set up 7.1 CUCME on a 2801 running 12.4(24)T5 at my home to help study for my 640-461. I am getting ready to add a 2811 and was also thinking about adding a AIM-CUE, as well. All of the equipment is bought from eBay or similar and will not have any SMARTnet, licensing paperwork, etc and I really do not know much about how the software is licensed and features are upgraded or how it might effect me. I would want to use all equipment to supply my personal home use but would never be a production or business environment.

My questions are as followed:

Is there any reason I should or shouldn't installing a 15.X IOS? If so, is there anything I need to be aware of when moving to 15.X? Since this will be on a ISR1 and not an ISR2, I don't believe I should have any licensing issues with the IOS, but I am not sure about the CME or CUE. What limitations will I have in regards to features and licensing in regards to various versions of CUCME?

What do I need to be looking for or concerned about when purchasing a used AIM-CUE, other than Compact flash size? What concerns or limitations will I have with features & Licensing with CUE? Will the AIM-CUE even be usable to me without any licensing paperwork to go along with it? Also, can anyone tell me the major differences with the AIM-CUE and the AIM2-CUE-K9?

Lastly, What is the highest version of software I should be running CME and CUE on a 2811? When looking at the info at this link (Cisco Unity Express Compatibility Matrix* [Cisco Unity Express] - Cisco Systems), It states "7.2 and 7.3 are special releases for AIM-CUE which supports CUCM 8.0 and 8.5 respectively" and it appears that I am not able to run 8.X or newer on a AIM-CUE but I could run CUCME up 8.X on a CUE running 7.X. Furthermore, It appears licensing is changed significantly between CUE 7.0 and 7.1. How would this impact me before and after this change? Would I be able to use CUE 7.1 or newer?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok my boss said he will give me 2 1760 with the pvdms, 1 3524poe, 4 7940 phones. I already have cme, software for cipt, 1 2620xm (12.4)and 2 2950. I am trying to closely follow the diagram posted in the sticky. What else do I need to complete the ccnav lab. What can i use for the pstn?
  • Options
    OscedumirOscedumir Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys i'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Here's the situation: I was recently given (5) 1760 Cisco Routers with non CME IOS loaded on them from my work and I just finished buying 128mb dram for all five of them. So they are maxed out at dram and have 32mb flash each. I succesfully installed this image: c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14 on one of them for testing. According to Cisco Feature Navigator this image has CME. This is what I get in the CLI with that image installed:

Router#sh tel
    Router#sh telephony-service all
    telephony-service is not enabled

What am I missing and/or what am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    You'll need to enable the telephony-service, you can do this by telling it how many ephone's and dn's to allow (this is IOS and hardware dependant).

telephony-service
    max-dn 10
    max-ephone 10

sh telephony-service

All will then be well... max-dn and max-ephone is all that was missing
  • Options
    azaghul wrote: »
    You'll need to enable the telephony-service, you can do this by telling it how many ephone's and dn's to allow (this is IOS and hardware dependant).

telephony-service
    max-dn 10
    max-ephone 10

sh telephony-service

All will then be well... max-dn and max-ephone is all that was missing

Sweet got it working now thanks so much!! How would I go about getting the GUI for CME? I have a .tar file but I don't quite know what to do with it icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    The CME .tar file is usually IOS specific, so you'll need a matched set.

As the 1760 is flash: poor, you'll need to extract the tar file, and remove any components you won't need.

These would usually be files for phones you don't have (797x are usually fairly large) and unneeded ring tones (if pushed). Which files belong to which phone? Ahhhh.... on the Cisco site, search for "Cisco Unified CME and Cisco IOS Software Version Compatibility Matrix" this should point you in the right direction. With the 1760, as it only supports a "flat" file system, make sure you have no embeded directories in the tar. If it has you'll need to rebuild it in a flat format. 7zip supports .tar if needed.

With these "small" hurdles out of the way, set up your tftp server same as you'd do for an IOS upgrade, and use the command:

archive tar /extract tftp://<tftp ip address>/<cme filename>.tar flash:

then wait!
  • Options
    wow that's a lot to digest but i'll get working on it and hopefully I won't run into any trouble *fingers crossed* thank you so much I really appreciate your help! :D
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    so right now i got a bid on the 1760 router but found out there is a 1760 v... should have researched more before bidding but if I win will the 1760 be fine for studying for voice? i don't plan on using it up to a pbx or anything.. just local calling within the network.
  • Options
    There is no real difference between a vanilla 1760 and the 1760-V, it just comes with extra flash and DRAM.
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    thanks good info to know lol but I didn't win the auction any how.
  • Options
    patakipataki Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,
    I am new to this forum, not sure if I came to the right place.
    Just checking if anyone had any experience with call connectors with CME (2900 routers or UC5xx).
    Please guide/share your experience.

Thank you
  • Options
    X10MMXX10MMX Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I am coming to the end of my CCNA Studies and hoping to tackle CCNA Voice before I build up to the CCNP. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what else I would need to add my current lab at home for the CCNA Voice.

I currently have:
    3550 SMI POE (EMI Image)
    2x2950
    2611XM (128mb ram and 32mb Flash)
    Also a 1721
    Wic1T and Wic2T cards

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    karthrakarthra Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I am preparing for CCNA Voice. I currently have two 7200 routers and 1 Analog and 1 VoIP phone. Can you please let me know what are the add-on's that would be required for me to prepare CCNA voice lab.

regards,
    Karthik
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    pataki wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am new to this forum, not sure if I came to the right place.
    Just checking if anyone had any experience with call connectors with CME (2900 routers or UC5xx).
    Please guide/share your experience.

Thank you

I've done call connectors, what are you trying to do. They have a server version and a client version which one are you looking to install?
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    is two switch and two ip-phone with two router enough to study for ccna voice?
    i can do all the ccna voice scenario with them?
  • Options
    sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone please help
    Can i use gns3 and connect it to the real network equipmet to act as dhcp and ntp server?

DHCP Router

• acts as a DHCP server (the name gives it away)
    • acts as a NTP server for down-stream devices
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    sattar wrote: »
    Hello everyone please help
    Can i use gns3 and connect it to the real network equipmet to act as dhcp and ntp server?

Yes. Connecting GNS3 to Real Networks - GNS3

There are video tutorials if you search 'connect gns3 to real lab'. I don't remember much about it, but recall doing some stuff with QinQ to make it work.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.