Options

Offered a job today.

2»

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I ended up taking the new job.

My old employer was jerking me along far too long with the string of promises and pats no the back that never turned into anything tangible.

Im walking into a 25% increase + bonuses and while im trading working on some cool stuff, I get to work on other cool stuff that i didnt before (Cisco firewalls, etc)

Congratz! That is great! :D
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the new job! Think you made a good call.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

My old employer was jerking me along far too long with the string of promises and pats no the back that never turned into anything tangible.

Im walking into a 25% increase + bonuses and while im trading working on some cool stuff, I get to work on other cool stuff that i didnt before (Cisco firewalls, etc)

Cool. When do you start?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! Hope you enjoy the new gig.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the new position! I cannot fault you one bit for moving onward and upward in your career and the nice benefit of a hefty pay raise. :)
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Congrats!
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif That's probably the right choice. icon_cool.gif You don't want to get too comfortable in a job where you're under paid -- no matter how wonderful it is there.

Whether the new job turns out to be better or worse than the old job -- only time will tell. But either way you learn from it, punch your ticket, and move on and up.

If you ever find a place where it wonderful to work, has unlimited potential for advancement, and gives you bushel baskets full of money -- then you can consider staying (and retiring from) there. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif That's probably the right choice. icon_cool.gif You don't want to get too comfortable in a job where you're under paid -- no matter how wonderful it is there.

Whether the new job turns out to be better or worse than the old job -- only time will tell. But either way you learn from it, punch your ticket, and move on and up.

If you ever find a place where it wonderful to work, has unlimited potential for advancement, and gives you bushel baskets full of money -- then you can consider staying (and retiring from) there. icon_lol.gif

Thanks.

You know the odd thing is that most of the people where i worked were tremendously overpaid, underqualified, and purposely worked and stayed on so long because of that fact and the very generous retirement plan.

It was only myself and a couple of other individuals who were being completely shat on. It made no sense either, because we ran the systems that noone else could. It'll be a miracle if they last long at all without a major crash because they likely wont fill my position.icon_silent.gif
  • Options
    Well on my first day my boss had me upgrade our internal AD from 2003 to 2008 R2 and install a RAID controller, some disks and some RAM into the new DC.

One of my future projects will be upgrading our 07 exchange to '10. :)
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Well on my first day my boss had me upgrade our internal AD from 2003 to 2008 R2 and install a RAID controller, some disks and some RAM into the new DC.

One of my future projects will be upgrading our 07 exchange to '10. :)

Congrats again :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You touch the Cisco stuff yet? Its so tech-win it makes me want to hug a stranger.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like they're keeping you busy -- Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Havnt touched the Cisco stuff yet...I think my boss likes to do most of it because its his kinda thing.

I get the feeling I was brought on for my MS prowess, above all.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think a congrats, albeit a late one, is in order for your new gig. CONGRATS!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds very nice, well done Hyper, we all know you know your stuff and it will pay off.

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Bit late in the thread. Congrats first of all. Couple of things to that came to mind I wanted to point out. First off, it sounds like you may have joined a consulting firm. Is that correct? If so, here's what I've found about pay in such an organization - you get your money typically coming in the door, which is typical for a lot of places. Secondly, you might as well completely disregard anything they say about bonuses. I was fed a line at my last employer when I joined about how most engineers made good money on their bonuses alone, yada yada. It was utter crap. Hardly anyone got bonuses. I ended up getting a ton of bonus money only because let's just say some unforeseen circumstances came up, and once they did, I painted them into a corner where they had to pay the bonuses. But the opportunity I was presented to do that was beyond my control. Even with that said, nothing beats a sure thing, so count on your salary, and try to improve it as best you can. Anywho, congrats on your new position!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Well, thats why i initially turned it down bcause it wasnt much more base pay than I currently made. Then I got a figure where my base is now 25% more than my previous pay. I've talked to another guy I work with (not the boss) and he says he bonuses quite a bit, but how much varies. The base pay alone was worth the move, the bonuses (if any) will just be...a bonus? lol
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Well, thats why i initially turned it down bcause it wasnt much more base pay than I currently made. Then I got a figure where my base is now 25% more than my previous pay. I've talked to another guy I work with (not the boss) and he says he bonuses quite a bit, but how much varies. The base pay alone was worth the move, the bonuses (if any) will just be...a bonus? lol

Well, it depends, but the point though is don't be surprised if bonuses are touted as being this huge source of income, and then it turns out to be nothing you can control, and not much compensation.

The one really positive thing for these types of places is they have to have people certified, so if you want to pick up certs, you've gone to the right place.
    Good luck to all!