Options

To Mike

13»

Comments

• Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Yeah it was exactly as I imagined it would be.

I expected it to be a b*tch -- and it was. :D

Haha well put! I guess this means I have some good times to look forward to down the road icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got my "Dear John" letter from Cisco icon_sad.gif

I'm torn between just hitting the exam again in 30 days or taking a boot camp and then scheduling the next attempt for the week after the bootcamp.

Since I know what "got me" on this exam, there's always the possibility that Cisco only has the 1 configuration exam, "so I may as well strike while the irons hot" icon_lol.gif

On the other hand, I'd be disappointed if they only had the one current v4 configuration exam and thats how I got my CCIE. icon_sad.gif

While a "travel day" before the lab can be annoying in it's own right, working the day before (and maybe the week of) the Mobile Lab probably wasn't such a good idea. I think I had opened up my BGP notes on my Laptop Sunday, and finally closed them unread and un-reviewed on Wednesday. I think that's when I realized that the boot camps help you focus on the Lab.

For anyone already thinking about going to a bootcamp (or already did), make sure you check for the "free retake option." While they are "space available," I'm guessing that the major vendors who give the classes at RTP/San Jose keep a couple of seats on "standby" for people to refresh and focus before they take the Lab the following week.

I've looked at the bootcamp schedules to see who's coming to town (Chicago) -- and there is a 6 Day Internetwork Expert Bootcamp in Feb (which fits in with the 30 day option) or April. CCBootcamp has an Online version of the CIERS2 class the first week in March (which fits in with the 30 day option). Narbik has a CIERS1 class in April which probably isn't what I'm looking for. And IP Expert has their 10 day option at the end of April -- 5 day bootcamp & 5 day Mock Lab.

Decisions..... Decisions.....

April/May is prime (and annoying) contract renewal time, so I have to take that into account for planning purposes. If my contract ends, then I'd definitely shift my priorities 100% to Lab prep. If my contract renews yet again, then I'd be hard pressed to let work issues flap in the breeze while I take my study time. And a 3 week vacation might show them that they can now live without me. icon_eek.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I guess I should mention this -- I am very pleased with BOTH the Cisco 360 Troubleshooting VOD and the Internetwork Expert Troubleshooting COD -- and very happy that I bought BOTH of them.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aw, sorry to hear that dude icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FWIW, my vote is on the 30 day option, but of course, you know yourself best. That's how I envision my first attempt if I fail..hit it hard while it's fresh, then conquer :)

I got a question for you Mike. I have planned my lab attempt to coincide with my last 2 months in the Army..which I will be on paid leave. I planned to spend about 6 weeks of that leave doing nothing but labbing and final prep, then in the 7th week, take the lab. In your case, do you think that taking that extra time before (1-2 months) to dedicate yourself soley to lab prep, would have made a difference? I say this, because it's quite the opportunity to have 2 months of full paychecks, and having plenty of time to dedicate to last minute studies..
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    aww man...

let us know what you decided, and good luck in the job department as well :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sorry to hear Mike. Good Luck on the re-take!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm sure you'll get it next time Mike!
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry to hear, I bet you'll nail it next time.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry to hear that Mike, I know you will get it next time!
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    That's how I envision my first attempt if I fail..hit it hard while it's fresh, then conquer :)
    Hopefully you won't need more than one attempt and it will be a moot point for you! :D It is probably best to plan for an immediate counterattack -- since you never should give the enemy time to dig in and improve their defenses. But you'll be in a better position to make a decision for yourself after you've been to the dance.
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    In your case, do you think that taking that extra time before (1-2 months) to dedicate yourself soley to lab prep, would have made a difference?
    I thought about it somewhere around 14 or 15 months ago when I thought my contract wouldn't be renewed. But when I was made an offer I couldn't pass up to finish out my contract, and then was offered another contract extension at that "new rate" I pretty much accepted the fact that I get paid way too much money to let my personal life (and CCIE quest) interfere with my job. icon_lol.gif The Mobile Lab option was too good to pass up -- and now I can feel the CCIE Blood Lust again....
    keenon wrote: »
    mike narbik does have a pure labbing bootcamp coming up in march
    Traveling for a bootcamp would be my last resort. I'm more likely to do the IPExpert bootcamp because it fits my plan/schedule the best, while still allowing me to be home at night to play "paintball" with the coyotes that roughed up one of my feral cat buddies.

If I was going to do the "official" Cisco 360 CIERS2 course, I'd probably go to NetMaster (ah!! haven't checked their schedule/locations), since that's what it's supposed to be based on.

The CCBootcamp Online version of CIERS2 would be tempting -- but learning how to fend off needy house cats demanding attention while attempting to do labs isn't a skill needed on Lab Day. Kind of defeats one of the major reasons I'd "bootcamp" before the next lab attempt -- focus.
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    Sorry to hear the news Mike,

I wont go throw what has been already said.

Get right back into it.

you now have the added bonus of seeing it, feeling the layout and how it go's.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Gutted for you buddy icon_sad.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Hopefully you won't need more than one attempt and it will be a moot point for you! :D It is probably best to plan for an immediate counterattack -- since you never should give the enemy time to dig in and improve their defenses. But you'll be in a better position to make a decision for yourself after you've been to the dance.

I've actually been toying with the idea of saving up some cash so that I can schedule a lab immediately after I pass the Written, and reading through your experiences leads me to consider it more seriously. It might be worth throwing a couple grand at it just to be able to get through the initial shock and experience the lab environment so that I'd be able to prepare for it when I was serious about it
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    When you get your results,

does it give you any sort of info where you need to work on or a score ?
    something to work on.
  • Options
    It might be worth throwing a couple grand at it just to be able to get through the initial shock and experience the lab environment so that I'd be able to prepare for it when I was serious about it
    I wouldn't think so. When you go to the Lab, go to win.

Hopefully either Cisco will do a demo of the Lab Testing Environment so that you know what to expect, or some of the Mock Labs will offer an online option similar to the real test environment.

Worst case, you do a Mock Lab (for around $200-369 each) to get a taste of the "Lab Experience" -- and you don't print out the lab, you just alternate between the PDF and your terminal sessions -- and you do it all on one monitor.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

Yeah, I have a pride thing in that I really want to pass it on the first try, but the practical part of my brain says size your enemy up before you go for full engagement.

I suppose it'll all come to finances and whether I want to blow $2k on a lab attempt, or if I want to buy more training.
    Worst case, you do a Mock Lab (for around $200-369 each) to get a taste of the "Lab Experience" -- and you don't print out the lab, you just alternate between the PDF and your terminal sessions -- and you do it all on one monitor.

I think that'll be the biggest challenge for me. I'm used to my mac environment, where I have everything setup just the way I want it, and I really like my terminal environment. Being forced to only use a web browser, a windows terminal program, and notepad will be like trying to type with my nose.
  • Options
    Gutted for you buddy icon_sad.gif
    I'm guessing it only sucks bad when you walk out of the Lab knowing that you passed, icon_cheers.gif and then find out that you failed. icon_eek.gif

The only Lab Exams that count are the ones you pass honestly.

I'm not crying over this one. I'm just trying to work out my next attempt before the post-lab blood lust subsides.
    Sirsamon wrote: »
    When you get your results,

does it give you any sort of info where you need to work on or a score ?
    something to work on.
    You get a Pass or a Fail on the parts of the exam.

If you Fail, you get a % -- and that could be broken down by section. You are left to ponder based on your memory of the exam how that % matches what you did, or thought you did, and how it compares to the points that were available for that section.

If you've done any practice workbooks or mock labs you'll see how it's "all or nothing" to earn the points for each graded task grouping. If you get 9 out of 10 tasks in each graded part of a section, that works out to 0% for the section. If you miss reading a word, or misinterpret a single task, it can cost you all the points for that grouping of work. And if that part is critical to other parts of your lab succeeding, you may have blown the lab with one oversight -- if you don't catch it during your verification of each configuration you make, or the future configuration if it causes a problem that you only realize in later task requirements.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I'm guessing it only sucks bad when you walk out of the Lab knowing that you passed, icon_cheers.gif and then find out that you failed. icon_eek.gif

The only Lab Exams that count are the ones you pass honestly.

I'm not crying over this one. I'm just trying to work out my next attempt before the post-lab blood lust subsides.

Yep your not wrong there, and your attitude is spot on there no point in dwelling on it too long as long as you learn from it icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's it Mike - get back on that horse asap. Just a minor setback on the road to GOLD!!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Gutted for you Mike - but I'm sure you'll crack it next time :)
  • Options
    Wow seems a tough task mike...

From what I see its a massive achivment to be in a postition to take the lab exams, let alone pass them..

Good luck on the retake, hope one day to be taking mine.

Can I ask how long it took you from passing your first Cisco certification to be in the postition you are now.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Can I ask how long it took you from passing your first Cisco certification to be in the postition you are now.
    5 years? But my 20+ years of networking experience may be more relevant. But I guess it's even more when you count my UNIX (and DOS) Network Programming.
  • Options
    yer i can image about the experince. I'm just wondering what i got my self in to ;)

only got the CCNA security so far but after a few years in IT now, really found my field.

My introduction to networking was being shown a 1500+ user network, and being told as wall as sorting it out and managing it and ... well configuring the thing from scratch. On these sites there is no other network person, was sod all documentation, and I was inployed as a first line support engineer so this was a part time job.... I should add that for the previous 6 years I was working as a scientist in zoology testing for diseases.

After the experince of them first few years, these certificates are a breeze (OK maybe not quite.... that will come back to haunt me..) But it is nice to see the fruits of the last 4 years.

Love to say I will have a CCIE in 5 years, but not putting money on it, it will come when it's ready. Just like to have reasonable goal to aim for. (less than double that ;) )

being a scientist by my education, it is surprising (and useful) how many of those skills transfer, espicaly in how to approach a problem.

any way cheers for the info and good luck on the re-take.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Hopefully either Cisco will do a demo of the Lab Testing Environment so that you know what to expect, or some of the Mock Labs will offer an online option similar to the real test environment.

Sorry to hear about this. Was this your third attempt at the lab Mike? It´s disappointing for all of us when people with the requisite knowledge are falling short on this thing. I haven´t kept up with the statistics as I have been flat out contracting this year but I think the pass rate on v4 is still dismal. I think until the vendors can come up with some realistic simulation environment of what the actual lab involves in terms of functionality, applications and what not then the chances of a pass remain slim for all concerned. Hopefully the vendors can put something out because if they cant I think they may well be forced back into FTE or contracting and out of the CCIE training business as we know it. A lot of frustrated and demoralised people out there.

But not me, I shall be back on the study horse in March now that things are settling down at work where I have taken on a Voice-MPLS-datacentre project in midstream with all the attendent customer site migrations to do globally. The CCIE designer has left the company. It´s mine now and quite a lot to do but I should get into studies again soon enough. Some realistic mock exam experiences would certainly help. Study time is at a premium!