Who dat!

Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
yes, even this site full of nerds is going to get a mention of the Super Bowl ;)

I worked my tail off this week getting a mythtv box setup to transcode a live feed to flash and stream it back out to me over the web, all so I could watch the Super Bowl while I'm at work.

And I was very happy to see Peyton Favre come up with the big play in the 4th quarter!

Comments

• Daniel DDaniel D Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It was a great game! I was going for the saints, only because of katrina, and it was their first super bowl. I also can't stand the humungoid bandwagon that follows Peyton. I hear people say things like "I know nothing about football but I know who Peyton Manning is so GO COLTS." All in all we had a blast, played some darts, drank some SoCo, and had some bomb grub.

About the interception though, that was so intense! Peyton was on his game all night, throwing bombs perfectly. That pass changed the momentum instantly. Definitely not taking anything from Porter, that was an amazing catch.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Daniel D wrote: »
    It was a great game! I was going for the saints, only because of katrina, and it was their first super bowl. I also can't stand the humungoid bandwagon that follows Peyton. I hear people say things like "I know nothing about football but I know who Peyton Manning is so GO COLTS." All in all we had a blast, played some darts, drank some SoCo, and had some bomb grub.

About the interception though, that was so intense! Peyton was on his game all night, throwing bombs perfectly. That pass changed the momentum instantly. Definitely not taking anything from Porter, that was an amazing catch.

I'm a Bears fan, so yeah, naturally I was bored about halfway through the season. But I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for Drew Brees, the man has made me some money in my fantasy football leagues! I don't have anything personal against the Colts, I just don't feel anything for them. The Saints and the Bucs are the only other two teams I actually like, so I was going for the Saints as well.

And I don't know. After going up 10 - 0, the Saints outscored the Colts 31 to 7, so I think the defense definitely had Peyton off his game hehe. He certainly had the numbers to look good, but one of those numbers pretty much negates all the others. I just have to give Sean Payton all the respect in the world, that was some of the ballsiest play calling I've seen in a long time.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I worked my tail off this week getting a mythtv box setup to transcode a live feed to flash and stream it back out to me over the web, all so I could watch the Super Bowl while I'm at work.

True BOFH /Salute ! :)
    Kam.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes, even this site full of nerds is going to get a mention of the Super Bowl ;)

And I was very happy to see Peyton Favre come up with the big play in the 4th quarter!

You kidding me, I LOVE SPORTS. I thought the game was pretty good. I was silently rooting for the Colts, but was glad to see that the Arizona Cardinals (the team in which I root for) lose to the Super Bowl champs, FWIW. Now that football is over, we all have March Madness, NHL, NBA, and Spring Training Baseball to look forward to! icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Daniel DDaniel D Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I love being where I'm at I AZ, we got so many big spring training fields like 5 minutes from my house. I'm a huge Dodgers fan, grew up in SoCal for the first 16 years of my life!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

@Forsaken_GA: Did you use Mythbuntu? I am download it right now, plan to play with it in VirtualBox. I have wanted put one together for a while now.
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    As a Saints fan from as far back as the mid 80's I was quite happy to see them make and win their first super bowl. Usually I like Manning also, but I was rather disappointed in his classless act at the end. Everybody knows you go congraduate the winning QB whether you mean it or not. His walking off before the game was even officially over was seriously sad.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    WHO DAT BABY!!!!!!! Them boys went out there and showed the "unbeatable" Manning how its done!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Yep. That's probably why he walked off the field like he did. Poor baby got his shining moment in the sun all eclipsed by a big bad black and gold @$$ kicking meteorite. I'm sure he thought he had it all figured out. Shouldn't have believed his own press.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    Coming from someone who has only lived in New Orleans, I can tell you that the people here are on cloud nine. It's nice to know that no matter who you come across or where you're at, you have at least one thing in common with anyone. When Porter intercepted that pass, fireworks were going off everywhere. I went outside and my entire street was filled with people screaming and hugging one another-it was crazy.

I think we played a great game, but overall I believe we had some great coaching that turned the tides. The on-side kick was brilliant, and it really shifted the momentum in our favor for the rest of the game. If there's one thing that we were grateful for, it was Dwight Freeny's gimp ankle. That guy is an absolute monster.

Mardi Gras is going to be crazy this year! If any of you guys are coming down, let me know. If not, be sure to watch for the parade that's going to run in honor of the Saints.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I wouldnt get so excited about a team whos only ever made it to the superbowl once.

The "who dat" thing is about the worst example of redneck ive ever heard.

Plus, the onside kick at the half was a real low hit from NO, but i wouldnt expect anything less ;)
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I wouldnt get so excited about a team whos only ever made it to the superbowl once.

Plus, the onside kick at the half was a real low hit from NO, but i wouldnt expect anything less ;)

Ah, come on. Rooting for the underdog is an american past time! I'd rather watch a first time team whomp some butt than to see the Steelers or the Patriots yet again.

And I don't see how it was a low hit. The entire point of football is to outfox the other team. And Caldwell was out of his league when it comes to chicanery
    @Forsaken_GA: Did you use Mythbuntu? I am download it right now, plan to play with it in VirtualBox. I have wanted put one together for a while now.

Yup, I did indeed use Mythbuntu, along with an HD HomeRun
    Agent6376 wrote: »
    Coming from someone who has only lived in New Orleans, I can tell you that the people here are on cloud nine. It's nice to know that no matter who you come across or where you're at, you have at least one thing in common with anyone. When Porter intercepted that pass, fireworks were going off everywhere. I went outside and my entire street was filled with people screaming and hugging one another-it was crazy.

I think we played a great game, but overall I believe we had some great coaching that turned the tides. The on-side kick was brilliant, and it really shifted the momentum in our favor for the rest of the game. If there's one thing that we were grateful for, it was Dwight Freeny's gimp ankle. That guy is an absolute monster.

Mardi Gras is going to be crazy this year! If any of you guys are coming down, let me know. If not, be sure to watch for the parade that's going to run in honor of the Saints.

I had the pleasure to visit New Orleans the year before Katrina hit, and pretty much spent it all in the French Quarter. I absolutely love Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral. All the bars and restaurants.... I can't wait to go back!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Wow, ignorance at a whole new level. You obviously know nothing about Louisiana or football icon_rolleyes.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Wow, ignorance at a whole new level. You obviously know nothing about Louisiana or football icon_rolleyes.gif

About the entire damn region! Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida..... football is not a game in these states, it's a religion!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    About the entire damn region! Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida..... football is not a game in these states, it's a religion!

Your car will get keyed in BR if you have a bumper sticker for a college team other than LSU icon_lol.gif
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did someone from NOLA pee in his corn flakes or something?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...

So you think I know nothing about football because I called you a redneck? icon_rolleyes.gif

I know why they did the onside kick, and it definitely won the game for them. They managed to do the ONE thing that can be done to beat the colts: Keep Manning on the bench.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Saints and the Bucs are the only other two teams I actually like, so I was going for the Saints as well.

The bucs? Really? You must have had a miserable season. I'm in Tampa and I wasn't even pushing for them! Pretty sad, considering my cousin is the director of marketing for them. I hope they do better next season..we'll call this the "rebuilding phase"..

I was pushing for the Vikings AND the Saints (Wanted to see Favre do well, but have been a Saints fan for a while)..so really, that game was a completely awesome game for me. It was truly win/win, and the best game I've seen in a while..the saints/vikings game, that is.

I'm the same when it comes to the colts. I don't hate them, don't like them particularly either. It was still a good game either way.

That all aside- I'm already tired of Drew Brees' "I'm going to disney" clip being played over and over.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So you think I know nothing about football because I called you a redneck? icon_rolleyes.gif

I didn't interpret what you said as calling him a redneck, but thanks for going out of your way to clear that up.

Despite your infinite wisdom, it's obviously you don't even have a Wikipedia-level understanding of the origins of Who Dat: Who Dat? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was dead-on though. You are clearly ignorant of NOLA and how significant football is to people in the region. I'm personally not a big football fan, but being able to see everyone with high spirits and overcome with joy has been a phenomenal experience. I personally couldn't care less about the outcome of the game, but I'm overjoyed for everyone around me. While I certainly don't think New Orleans deserved to win because of what happened to their city, there's no denying that their victory did wonders for the area.

It blows my mind every time you purposely instigate something like this and then act offended when someone responds. You clearly aren't trying to engage anyone in an intelligent conversation; you're just trying to get under their skin. I respect your IT knowledge, but this juvenile BS is just ridiculous. If you don't have anything meaningful to contribute STFU or go tr-ll on some other site.
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    The bucs? Really? You must have had a miserable season. I'm in Tampa and I wasn't even pushing for them! Pretty sad, considering my cousin is the director of marketing for them. I hope they do better next season..we'll call this the "rebuilding phase"..

I spent 10 years living across the Bay in Clearwater, so I was a regular at Bucs games. I had to endure many years of the Bucs beating my beloved Bears when they were both in the old NFC Central. But I was always pulling for the Bucs when the Bears weren't in town, and it's kind of rubbed off over the years.
    I was pushing for the Vikings AND the Saints (Wanted to see Favre do well, but have been a Saints fan for a while)..so really, that game was a completely awesome game for me. It was truly win/win, and the best game I've seen in a while..the saints/vikings game, that is.

I'm a Bears fan, so naturally... I hate the Vikings. Many, MANY years of rivalry there. I, like the Packers, was *not* pleased when Favre went over to the Vikings (and the Division standings show why none of us were happy about it). We have a few Vikings fans here at work, so there was naturally some trash talk, which inevitably led to money being placed on the line. Tracy Porter has made me a very happy man in the past month or so.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I had to endure many years of the Bucs beating my beloved Bears when they were both in the old NFC Central.

Dude, aside from the Dungy era, Tampa was the one team other than Detroit Chicago consistently kicked the crap out of!

As for the onside kick "low blow", absolutely brilliant call. Indy is a better team than the Saints. If they played 10 times, Colts would win 7-8 of them. You gotta do stuff like that to win.

And hats off to Saints fans. It's okay to get excited even though that's been their only trip to the Super Bowl. Winning it is what counts.
    Good luck to all!
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I spent 10 years living across the Bay in Clearwater, so I was a regular at Bucs games.

Interesting. I work in Tampa, but home is actually Dunedin..meaning I drive through Clearwater everyday on my way to work. Small world.

Yeah, I can see the hostility for packers fans..it's justified IMO. I've just been a Favre fan moreso for his age and track record. Whether he was with the packers or vikings, he's always been a solid QB.

I know why they did the onside kick, and it definitely won the game for them. They managed to do the ONE thing that can be done to beat the colts: Keep Manning on the bench.

And, you know, jump a route for a pick six.

The Saints only controlled the 2nd quarter. Peyton was on the field plenty in the second half. The difference in time of possession was only 21 seconds, in the Saints favor. The Colts had their chances, which is why it looked like we were heading for the first OT Super Bowl ever.

Instead, the Saints didn't beat Peyton by avoiding him. They just beat him with better play.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    And, you know, jump a route for a pick six.

The Saints only controlled the 2nd quarter. Peyton was on the field plenty in the second half. The difference in time of possession was only 21 seconds, in the Saints favor. The Colts had their chances, which is why it looked like we were heading for the first OT Super Bowl ever.

Instead, the Saints didn't beat Peyton by avoiding him. They just beat him with better play.

Let's be truthful here. Saints also won the second half because of key drops by Colt receivers, too. It wasn't just the pick six and onside kick in the second half.
    Good luck to all!
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Yeah, I can see the hostility for packers fans..it's justified IMO. I've just been a Favre fan moreso for his age and track record. Whether he was with the packers or vikings, he's always been a solid QB.

I've always liked Favre for his gunslinger mentality. It's nothing to Favre to come into a game, throw three interceptions, then get right back on the field and throw a few touchdown passes. The man was just indomitable and tended to get things done, except when it came time for the post season. Love Favre, but like Peyton, he does tend to choke in the big games. Although I don't directly blame Favre for the NFC Championship loss. That's the O-lines fault. Favre got his butt kicked all over that field. It seemed like he was able to get intimate with with the entire Saint's D-line, Bobby McCray in particular.
    dynamik wrote: »
    I didn't interpret what you said as calling him a redneck, but thanks for going out of your way to clear that up.

Despite your infinite wisdom, it's obviously you don't even have a Wikipedia-level understanding of the origins of Who Dat: Who Dat? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, I read that article the other day because I was wondering what the hell it meant.

So Who Dat saying they gonna beat the saints? Everyone except for one year in the history of the NFL. icon_lol.gif
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Let's be truthful here. Saints also won the second half because of key drops by Colt receivers, too. It wasn't just the pick six and onside kick in the second half.

Right, like I said - the Colts had their chances, they just didn't execute them. Whether it's Reggie Wayne and Garcon dropping balls, or Peyton throwing the pick six, they just weren't there. The Colts defense was also playing far, far too soft. You can't give a quarterback like Drew Brees the short passes just to avoid the big play, he'll thread the needle and chop you up piece by piece. Death by a thousand cuts. Blame that on Freeney being hurt if you want, but getting to Brees wasn't an easy task all year long.

Indy reminded me alot of New England when they lost to the Giants a few years ago. And honestly, the Saints had the underdog thing going for them to. Anyone who thinks that doesn't provide some serious motivation has never played competitive sports before.

The onside kick was psychological warfare on the part of Sean Payton, and it worked. The entire momentum of the game was changed. Manning was absolutely fuming they didn't get to take the field first in the second half.
    Thats what I meant by the onside kick winning the game. It put a stink on the Colts attitude as a team and also kept Peyton off the field even longer (he sat quite a bit the 2nd quarter).

If not for that momentum swing, it would have been game over saints.