Options

Stuppored's CCNA Progress Thread

StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have had the CCNA course on my plate for the last 3-4 years.

What I have:

Reading Materials:

CCNA - Official Exam Certification Library
Cisco Certified Network Associate - Study Guide - 6th edition - Todd Lammle

Hardware:

2 Catalyst 2900 series XL Switches
1 Cisco 3600 series router
2 Cisco 2600 series routers
1 Catalyst 1900 series router

I have read through the basic networking/OSI material. Currently I am working on subnetting with Todd Lammle's book. As per his audio cd material, I am studying converting binary to decimal with the cisco arcade flash game. Next will be exponents with base 2. With Todd's advice, I am supposed to be able to subnet in my head with 0 difficulty... so memorizing these simple items and hammering away at them repeatedly has become this week's homework. Next I will try to apply this to following and memorizing the 5 steps of subnetting. How long does it usually take any of you with CCNA certs to subnet in your head - prior to going into the exam?
I want to be able to do it like step 1, 2, 3 ,4 ,5 with no DUH DUH DUH in between.

If anyone can link me to an exponent flash game that would benefit me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    After playing that binary game for a good 5 hours spread over multiple days I sat down once again to study subnetting. Today was a major breakthrough. It's so easy... I can do it in my head. That is, for class c only until I pickup where I left off today. I'm feelin kind of buzzed from this breakthrough... like an AA member making a breakthrough in their 'problem'... it's been like 5 years since when I should have originally grasped the basic concepts... lol
    I do still have to practice adding up 8's, 16's, and 32's to become more time efficient when drawing up the list of blocks.
  • Options
    muonmuon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    got a link to this subnet game?
  • Options
    Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
    I'm in the same boat as you....with the exception of having hands on hardware....you have motivated me to get the books back on the desk, i may just get the newest ones...if any. Subnetting C seems to be the easiest, I struggle with where to start the numbers on the right octet in class A. If I am thinking right, it should be where the "interesting" octet is in the subnet mask.....but when you get there, please let me know.
    @muon....this is not the link I remember, unless they changed the web page, but here is one...
    subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
    Someone asked me when will my studying be over......
  • Options
    muon wrote: »
    got a link to this subnet game?

This link is for the binary game... just to help you along with binary basics. It does not help you with actual subnetting... but in the long run it will. don't think it stupid when you start losing your head and close it.... go until level 7+ and then some... until then you're just whining

Let me google that for you
  • Options
    muonmuon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the game is much more livelier than that subnettingquestions.com lol
  • Options
    hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    subnetting with class a, b is really just the same as c but with obviously more subnets and hosts.

Know that you're still going up in increments of 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, and 2 (2 was not valid with class c because you need at least 2 bits for hosts)

Just know where you are

^ ^ ^

8 16 24

Now when you get a question with say a /17 count up in 2^ until you hit 24 and you have your block size 128, and then 14 ^ 2 = # of hosts

So 192.168.128.0

Range 192.168.128.0 (hosts)1 - 254
    192.168.128-255.0-254

(broadcast 192.168.255.255)
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Stuppored wrote: »
    icon_lol.gif That is awesome - never seen that before. A subtle way of saying get of your arse and do your own research.

Now all I need is the site that presses 'F1' in Microsoft Word to help idiot users.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    Hexem, thanks for the class a/b tutorial... I will review later tonight... for now it's an ending spoiler.

Woah! Now I know any of you who do not believe in torrents or work for CBT Nuggets will not be happy. But I just found CCNA and more on torrents. New added study material for me :) WOAH!

Employers - when hiring an indiviual with the CCNA certificate, do you frown at the people who went the ICND1 & 2 route? From an employment standpoint, do people who took this route appear less of a tech than someone who just went for the CCNA straight up? I am going to assume that only a very arrogant employer would frown at you depending on the route you went.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is actually another CCIE thread, right?

You gotta start somewhere! ;)
  • Options
    hexem wrote: »
    subnetting with class a, b is really just the same as c but with obviously more subnets and hosts.

Know that you're still going up in increments of 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, and 2 (2 was not valid with class c because you need at least 2 bits for hosts)

Just know where you are

^ ^ ^

8 16 24

Now when you get a question with say a /17 count up in 2^ until you hit 24 and you have your block size 128, and then 14 ^ 2 = # of hosts

So 192.168.128.0

Range 192.168.128.0 (hosts)1 - 254
    192.168.128-255.0-254

(broadcast 192.168.255.255)

I don't quite fully understand what you are trying to say. The problems my book ran me through were giving me network address and subnet mask. Then it told me to solve steps 1-5. I can do that no problem. It looks like you've given me the network address and I see the subnet mask 255.255.128.0. You can mix up a class C network address with a class B subnet mask? I'm only on page 132 of Lammle's book and so far it has stuck with using network/subnet that are the same class. Whatever, I did it on paper...here's what I came up with with a 255.255.128.0 subnet mask

1) 2^1 = 2 subnets
    2) 2^15-2 = 32,766 hosts per subnet
    3) 256-128 = 128 Block size = 0, 128
    4/5)

subnet 0.0 128.0
    start 0.1 128.1
    end 127.254 255.254
    broad. 127.255 255.255

so for example if you really can cross B/C with eachother, a sample host IP
    = 192.168.0.1 from the first subnet and another is 192.168.128.2
    If I am wrong overall, please break every detail as to why I am wrong and how to correct.

Keep in mind, I've worked an 8 hour day + studied for 2 hours + hit the gym for two hours... I shouldn't even be awake right now....

<i don't know how to quote 2 people apparently>
    <begin quote>This is actually another CCIE thread, right?

You gotta start somewhere! icon_wink.gif
    <end quote>

Thank-you for being a passive aggressive smartass. Anything to keep your post count counting :) I am new to this forum, take it easy on me
    dynamik.

• Options
    your calculations are correct.

Forget about class a, b, c.

Once you start subnetting you're going outside of the 'default' subnet mask and it can be applied to any class address range.

10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 is valid
    10.1.2.1 255.255.0.0 is valid

192.168.32.1 255.255.224.0 is valid

you get my point..just know the intresting octet you're in and go from there, it can be in any class range.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

• Options
    A year and a bit ago, I purchased a Cisco lab kit that was good to practice for CCNA & CCNP from Net Cert Labs (http://netcertlabs.com/index-5.html). Unfortunately I never made time to study when I could have. Damn Warcraft III! Anyway, I stored the cds that I had received in a binder provided by them in a cool dark dry place, having not touched them since the day I received the kit... today I opened it up to discover a small bubble on one of the CDs icon_sad.gif. I have sent them an E-mail and hopefully they will provide me some sort of replacement or ISO. Let's see how it goes :)
  • Options
    A year and a bit ago, I purchased a Cisco lab kit that was good to practice for CCNA & CCNP from Net Cert Labs (http://netcertlabs.com/index-5.html). Unfortunately I never made time to study when I could have. Damn Warcraft III! Anyway, I stored the cds that I had received in a binder provided by them in a cool dark dry place, having not touched them since the day I received the kit... today I opened it up to discover a small bubble on one of the CDs icon_sad.gif. I have sent them an E-mail and hopefully they will provide me some sort of replacement or ISO. Let's see how it goes :)

It's been maybe two hours and they already got back to me! Excellent support if you ask me. I was informed that 'All kit buyers always get new software! ' And this is after over atleast 1 year of already owning the kit.
    No I do not work for them... this honestly happened!
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your studies man, and I VERY HIGHLY doubt that a potential employer will care rather you went the ICND1/2 route or the full exam at once. All that matters to them (if they care about the certificate to begin with) is rather or not you obtained the CCNA or not and that you know the material.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    Thanks for the positive words. Can someone please tell me if Wireless is in the CCNA exam? I am watching 2 videos from the ICND 1 cd on it... didn't think CCNA would cover it.
  • Options
    is wireless covered by just multiple choice, or are there lab type questions about it?
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    is wireless covered by just multiple choice, or are there lab type questions about it?

We really can not tell you this as this goes against NDA. I can say though that it is on the test and know it. It was on ICND1 test. I am not sure about the second. I know it is on CCNA one route test too.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■

Cisco Candidate Conduct Policy
    No candidate will take any action that will compromise the integrity or confidentiality of a Cisco Certification examination or otherwise compromise the integrity of the Cisco Certification program. Such actions include but are not limited to:
    • Disseminating actual exam content via web postings, discussion groups, chat rooms, study guides, etc.

Cisco Career Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement
    You agree that the contents of the exam are confidential and that the disclosure of that information could compromise the integrity of the Program and of Certifications. Cisco makes exams available to you solely to test your knowledge of the exam subject matter for which you seek Certification. You are expressly prohibited from disclosing, publishing, reproducing, or transmitting any exam and any related information including, without limitation, questions, answers, worksheets, computations, drawings, diagrams, length or number of exam segments or questions, or any communication, including oral communication regarding or related to the exam (known collectively as “Proprietary Information”), in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, oral or written, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, without the prior express written permission of Cisco.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can someone please tell me if Wireless is in the CCNA exam?
    Follow the link for the exam you're interested in on the Cisco Certification exams web page over to The Cisco Learning Network web site. If you don't already have at least a guest level Cisco CCO login, you'll need to create a free account there to follow the link to the exam's Topics web page.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    zer0foozer0foo Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN
    Describe standards associated with wireless media (including: IEEE WI-FI Alliance, ITU/FCC)
    Identify and describe the purpose of the components in a small wireless network. (Including: SSID, BSS, ESS)
    Identify the basic parameters to configure on a wireless network to ensure that devices connect to the correct access point
    Compare and contrast wireless security features and capabilities of WPA security (including: open, WEP, WPA-1/2)
    Identify common issues with implementing wireless networks. (Including: Interface, missconfiguration)

640-802 CCNA - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    that's hilarious. I had a copy of that in the back of my bag I haven't looked at in the last 3 weeks. Thanks for helping me out though regardless. I'll be reviewing this paper tonight :)
  • Options
    I read through the exam outline. I have found that a few of the commands in the CBT Nugget videos do not work on my home lab icon_neutral.gif For now, I am going through the software sims and am wondering which one is recommended over the other. I have Boson's NetSim & Cisco's Packet Tracer. Which one should I spend more time and effort on that is more likely to assist me... I know this is lining me up for personal opinions, but if it is, please mention the pro's and con's and if you have tried both.
  • Options
    What commands you missing?

You'll find quite abit is missing in packet tracer, altho it's enough to pass the exam's for sure, packet tracer has the benifit of being able to look at the flow of frames/packet's when going accross the network, this allow's you to look at each individual step of encapsulation/dencapsulation at each step of the 7 OSI layer model, this really helped me pick thing's up quickly and also helped me figure out problems that i just couldn't get my head around at first, such as why a PC might not be picking up a DHCP lease...but try not to rely on it too much.

Boston netsim..not a clue!

The more advanced stuff you can use GNS3 for if you can get hold of legal (IOS) files, iv'e been using GNS3 for a while on window's 7, it does my head in...often crashes and can be a big problem if you work on something for a while and forget to save...as i often do! So if you have a decent machine with dual processor / 4gb ram you can do some pretty decent scenarios with it.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

• Options
    stuppored-albums-errors-picture106-nosdm.jpg

I receive that from the 2600 series. Enabling SSH does not appear to exist.

The show interface brief does not exist on my switches <obviously not the exact command... I don't have very many commands memorized yet>

Maybe the IOS images are outdated, I'll review that when I have more practice with commands before attempting upgrading IOS.

I'm going through the Packet Tracer tutorials so atleast I'll understand everything in it before I try to use it... probably take me til midnight.

GNS3 sounds interesting. I assume adapting to more simulators, the better off I will be. I have a 2.4GHz Quad Core with 4GB DDRIII in /3G mode on XP32-bit. I assume I am in good shape to give it a shot.

I think I'm only near 1/6 of the way there with what I need to know for the exam. That exam breakdown looks vicious.
  • Options
    Hmmm i'd have to see the output of 'show version' to know what you're current IOS is...altho if not supporting ssh most likely an older 12.3 image.

as for sdm:

A. Cisco SDM is factory installed on all Cisco 1800, 2800 and 3800 series routers both non-bundle and bundle SKUs.
    On Cisco 1700 Series, Cisco 2600XM, Cisco 2691, Cisco 3700 Series, Cisco 7204VXR, 7206XVR, and Cisco 7301 Cisco SDM is factory installed on the security bundles (K9) and optionally orderable on all other SKUs.
    On Cisco 831-SDM, Cisco 836-SDM, Cisco 837-SDM, Cisco Small Business 100 Series, Cisco 850 Series, and Cisco 870 Series Cisco SDM Express is factory installed on the router flash, and a Cisco SDM CD is bundled with the router

In order to see the status of you're interfaces type

'show ip int brief' from priv exec. or 'do show ip int brief' from config mode, this allows you to run show and other enable commands from
    the configuration modes without exiting all the way out and going back in...saves alot of time, useful to remember.

Your machine will handle gns3 fine.

If i was you i'd start looking at ICND1/2 options...it breaks all the topics down into manageable chunks, so you can cover ICND1 basics before learning the more advanced stuff, this will definitely help you retain thing's more..and you can effectively put study time to better use, rather than worrying about if you have everything covered all in one go.

check out cisco's website for more info.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

• Options
    Righteo. I will be going the ICND route. I'm practicing basics right now and I'll come back to your post Hexem when I'm going through that topic again... I got ahead of myself looking ahead...gotta stop doing that.

Here's something I let out a HA HA to. I erased nv ram and reloaded the switch. I created a banner and secret password as well as telnet security. Then I decided to run line console 0. To it I added login local. I exited the switch menus to logout... upon login it asked for a login at which point I know I never created a username. Is there a default username account? I just rebooted it as I never saved to NV RAM.
  • Options
    No default usernames or passwords, you have to create everything manually, default passwords have always been an insecurity with routers and switches.

:)
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

• Options
    Ok. It's now 1:30am...
    I was trying to setup SSH for my Catalyst 2900seriesXL switch
    I was able to locate and download the most recent bin file from Cisco's site.
    I replaced c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC8.bin with c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin
    Out of curiousity, what does the WC stand for?
    This still did not enable the ability to turn on SSH... this switch is so outdated that SSH does not exist as a feature period?
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The W indicates the software is for a LAN Switching device, while the C is a release identifier (I guess there was an WA and WB at some point). Source: Guide to Cisco IOS Release Naming - Cisco Systems
    This still did not enable the ability to turn on SSH... this switch is so outdated that SSH does not exist as a feature period?
    Yeah the switch is old so SSH isn't supported. There's not mention of SSH in the Release Notes, and I can't even find the image on the Cisco Feature Navigator.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Ok. It's now 1:30am...
    I was trying to setup SSH for my Catalyst 2900seriesXL switch
    I was able to locate and download the most recent bin file from Cisco's site.
    I replaced c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC8.bin with c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin

I gave up on my 2950 switch just last week. I tried to upgrade the IOS, well, it didn't work.

Basically the switch accepted the size of the IOS eventhough it couldn't support it. (usually it doesn't do that)

Anyways, I get stuck in #switch mode. Which is some kind of ROMMON mode. I've tried to configure TFTP server in that mode so I can replace the bad IOS with the original IOS and it doesn't work.

The next option is XMODEM. But that takes a LOOOONG time from what I hear and right now, it's just not worth my time....

What I don't like is that some commands are outdated. If you are practicing VLAN's. I think you have to go to VLAN DATABASE mode. Then configure your VLANS. Which is different from how you do it now, and that can be confusing....