Your Study Practices and Habits

dubiousdubious Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
Here's a thread many of us can benefit from. It is common knowledge that when you fail a certification, there is something wrong -- a kink if you will -- with your study practices.

In this thread I want you to describe your study practices and habits in as much detail as possible.

I'll give you a primer:

#1. I decide I want to get a certification.
#2. I research relevant books on www.amazon.com and buy at least one. (I have this thing about books. I love to own books.)
#3. I decide what I need in order to assemble a home lab and buy it.
#4. I get everything together and go though the book(s) I bought, following all the labs and exercises.
#5. I go over the key concepts.
#6. I go over as many brain **** as possible.
#7. And finally, I take the cert.

This process can seem lenghty and most of the time it is, especially when I go for something I have no previous experience with.

Now it's your turn. icon_wink.gif
«1

Comments

  • drewm320drewm320 Posts: 68Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    #6. I go over as many brain **** as possible.

    Loser.
  • dubiousdubious Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    drewm320 wrote:
    #6. I go over as many brain **** as possible.

    Loser.

    Feel free to elaborate.
  • drewm320drewm320 Posts: 68Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you really know the material why ****? The fact that you use braindumps says you're not confident enough to pass the test based on your knowledge alone.
  • dubiousdubious Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    drewm320 wrote:
    If you really know the material why ****? The fact that you use braindumps says you're not confident enough to pass the test based on your knowledge alone.

    The fact that I use braindumps says that I have noticed that exams (CompTIA) in particular do not have good wording.

    There are 3 possible scenarios involving brain ****:

    #1. You only use braindumps to get your certification
    #2. You study (ulitize home lab and go over more than one book) and read brain ****.
    #3. You only study without using brain ****.

    I do have a home lab which inludes 4 computers and 3 routers (not counting the pseudo-routers used to split my cable connection).

    Personally, I see nothing wrong with what I'm doing.

    PS: Curb your personal attacks, please. You can talk about my confidence or the lack there of when you get your PhD in psyhology and I pay you for private sessions. Also, please, respect the purpose of this thread.
  • drewm320drewm320 Posts: 68Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, my first comment was a bit harsh, I'm sorry.

    I will reiterate the fact that if you know the material, then why do you need to look at the answers before taking the test?
    #1. I decide I want to get a certification.
    #2. I research relevant books on www.amazon.com and buy at least one. (I have this thing about books. I love to own books.)
    #3. I decide what I need in order to assemble a home lab and buy it.
    #4. I get everything together and go though the book(s) I bought, following all the labs and exercises.
    #5. I go over the key concepts.

    I would add:

    #6. Take a week off to clear your mind
    #7. Pick up the book again. Anything that you remember has truly been learned. Anything you forgot needs to be studied some more.
    #8. Take as many practice exams (not braindumps) as possible
    #9. Pass the test
  • dubiousdubious Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    drewm320 wrote:
    I will reiterate the fact that if you know the material, then why do you need to look at the answers before taking the test?

    Let's just that when I back up my files I always make two copies.
  • garv221garv221 Posts: 1,914Member
    Astro1 wrote:
    #6. I go over as many brain **** as possible.

    Guys like you create a better job market. You get hired as a paper tech, then get fired because a bucket of sand knows more about TCP/IP stacks, and that allows someone who knows what the hell there doing in the door & look incredible. Thanks for being that friendly guy. icon_thumright.gif Cheers!
  • dubiousdubious Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    Astro1 wrote:
    #6. I go over as many brain **** as possible.

    Guys like you create a better job market. You get hired as a paper tech, then get fired becasue a bucket of sand knows more about TCP/IP stacks, and that allows someone who knows what the hell there doing in the door & look incredible. Thanks for being that friendly guy. icon_thumright.gif Cheers!

    Let me get this right. Are you telling me what I know? To me it sounds like you have a problem (hint: stereotypes) you need deal with (outside this thread).
  • lancebukkakelancebukkake Posts: 40Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    well..when you say it's ok to use cheating material and yes braindumps are cheating material then it lessens the value of the certs thus making it harder for those who actually worked hard, without looking at actual test questions beforehand, to find a better job. You stated that CompTIA has grammer problems on tests, i agree but if you really study hard then it isn't too hard to understand the questions. it's not that we have a with stereotypes...we have a problem with cheating.
  • dubiousdubious Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    well..when you say it's ok to use cheating material and yes braindumps are cheating material then it lessens the value of the certs thus making it harder for those who actually worked hard, without looking at actual test questions beforehand, to find a better job. You stated that CompTIA has grammer problems on tests, i agree but if you really study hard then it isn't too hard to understand the questions. it's not that we have a with stereotypes...we have a problem with cheating.

    I say it's "OK" to use cheating material when you do actually pocess the skills required. The value of the cert only lessens when someone gets certified and doesn't actually have the "real world" knowledge of what they're certified in.

    Please, notice that I go over **** after by whole preparatory process. Again, notice how I prepare. Once more time, take a look and see what I do before step #6. Oh yeah? Did you notice that I have a lab at home which I ultilize to prepare?

    I'm sorry for being so redundant but you people make me. The moment you hear brain dumb you see a guy who knows nothing about anything getting certified.

    I am working just as hard as the next guy.
  • RussSRussS Posts: 2,068Member
    Nope - I see people who have contravened their non-disclosure agreement and deserve to have their certifications revoked.
    Cheating is cheating icon_confused.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • WebmasterWebmaster Posts: 10,292Admin Admin
    I say it's "OK" to use cheating material when you do actually pocess the skills required. The value of the cert only lessens when someone gets certified and doesn't actually have the "real world" knowledge of what they're certified in.

    Please, notice that I go over **** after by whole preparatory process. Again, notice how I prepare. Once more time, take a look and see what I do before step #6. Oh yeah? Did you notice that I have a lab at home which I ultilize to prepare?

    I'm sorry for being so redundant but you people make me. The moment you hear brain dumb you see a guy who knows nothing about anything getting certified.

    I am working just as hard as the next guy.
    Keep on telling yourself that...

    There is never a valid excuse to use braindumps or **** in anyway, with anything. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'what you know'.
    I say it's "OK" to use cheating material when you do actually pocess the skills required.
    That's just.... ah well:
    icon_arrow.gif www.mcmcse.com/articles/braindumps.shtml

    Also let me remind you of our Registration Terms:
    Posting, requesting or promoting the use of braindumps or braindump-in-pdf-selling-cheetsheets-like companies will result in a permanent ban.
    drewm320 wrote:
    Yes, my first comment was a bit harsh, I'm sorry.
    Although I don't appreciate namecalling in these forums, I didn't think it was harsh. But, don't feed unprofessional cheaters with unprofessional comments ;)
  • garv221garv221 Posts: 1,914Member
    dubious wrote:
    The moment you hear brain dumb you see a guy who knows nothing about anything getting certified.
    I am working just as hard as the next guy.

    Braindumps. What if your Sec+ was a college test & you were caught with the answers? You would be punished under the laws of cheating. You’re totally ignorant to the fact you’re studying the actual answers to the test. No one cares if you have a lab, no one cares if you read a book, people care when you read the answers to the test because it is CHEATING. If you don’t want people telling you “what you know” don’t set yourself up, the only reason you would use braindumps is you do not have enough knowledge to pass the exam without cheating. To respond to your thread is as Simple as it is Plain, you are a cheater & cannot focus long enough on a subject to pass the exam without "reading as many braindumps as possible".
  • linuxguylinuxguy Posts: 50Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    All,

    I agree that braindumps are cheating and are wrong. I agree with banning folks for the promotion of them after they are warned. But I do not favor the ungentlemenly approach of name calling. This guy has been here for a month and should know the public opinon of braindumps, but giving him the benifit of the doubt, should someone not have tried to educate him prior to rubbing his face in his own.... ignorance?

    IMHO

    I am just suggesting to be ... ::hrm::.... "user friendly".

    PS taking Linux+ today (without braindumps icon_lol.gif ).
    If you do not feel like a newbie you probably should. :)
  • triple Jtriple J Posts: 20Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will post a quote from the mcmcse.com site that the webmaster so kindly put a link to:

    I have the necessary knowledge to pass. I only used braindumps as a study tool:
    If you have the necessary knowledge, then you don't need braindumps. It doesn't change the fact that looking at the questions for an exam before you take IS CHEATING!

    I agree with your points #1-#5. I also agree with using software to help prepare for the test. Here is a quote from Microsoft.com (PTP stands for Practice Test Provider):

    PTP practice tests help you assess your knowledge and readiness for MCP exams. PTP practice tests do not predict your future MCP exam score, but the feedback you receive can help identify areas in which you may need additional study, training, or hands-on work experience.

    If you augment your preparation to include practice tests and not braindumps I think you will gain the some respect from the others here. At http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/prepare/practicetests.asp it lists MeasureUp and Self Test Software as Microsoft Certified. You're on the right track except for the braindumps. Drop 'em and you'll do much better.
  • /usr/usr Posts: 1,768Member
    I agree with the rest. If you have a home lab, plus multiple sources to study from, which give you the knowledge needed to pass, then you have no need for braindumps. The fact that you use them to reinforce your studies shows that you DO need them to pass, hence are a cheater.
    You are looking at the answers to the actual exam which you will be sitting for. If only I could study my tests before I take them in college, I would be sure to graduate with a 4.0.

    You sure are misguided when it comes to the subject.
  • skully93skully93 Posts: 321Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    well..when you say it's ok to use cheating material and yes braindumps are cheating material then it lessens the value of the certs thus making it harder for those who actually worked hard, without looking at actual test questions beforehand, to find a better job. .

    That's what I've found too. There are a lot of great jobs that an mcse is overkill for the position, but they consider it a baseline because people can worm their way around it.

    of course, now a lot of jobs do interview testing, which is a good way to weed people out.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

    -- James Thurber
  • GawdGawd Posts: 132Member
    I don't have time to study:
    I no longer have time to work, so I think I will just rob your house.

    ;) That was from the MCMCSE site.. Thought it was pretty good.
    I didnt even know about braindumps til yesterday. Makes you wonder how many people are holding certs without knowing anything about the subject.

    Gawd
  • cliffjag1987cliffjag1987 Posts: 206Member
    I think i know why
    dubious
    is using brain ****. First of all it can be HE KNOWS HIS MATERIALS but he is affraid of Failing & also losing very much $$$.

    Advice :
    dubious
    dubious
    you always must in mind that you know it ( if you studied of course ). If you are not so sure you make practice exams (NOTE : thats why they make practice exams ) . Comptia give you also the facility to practice with their exam ( i think its a beta exam ) . This is only to make you know the weak areas of yourself. And also be always confident. You must go with a GOAL i know my materials & i will surely pass (NOTE: you don't need to get the 900 or 1000 or whatever but you need the minimum passing mark)

    As I learned in SCHOOL & from my PARENTS ---YOU CAN ACCEPT AN ADVICE OR REJECT IT---

    Its just your decision & best of luck in the IT industry
  • twoschmoov_ballztwoschmoov_ballz Posts: 3Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    You folks seem a lil too emotional about the **** thing. As far as **** go, theres a large chance that they are wrong, which essentially makes some of them no good. And increases the chance of you re-testing.... (mis-info can be costly!) icon_twisted.gif icon_arrow.gif icon_arrow.gif
    Also, your in an industry were you have to use whatever you can to get the competetitive edge.
    Please understand, i do not condone cheating. To me the line is blurry as to whats the difference between the inaccurate **** and the test preps software. Just that the test prep software has the **** intentionally skewed. Seems that in the questions, the name of the company and/or the administrator is changed (- hence skewed!)
    I use the test preps and I find them to use alot of questions that are very simular to whats on the test, with the only changes being the ones I've mentioned previously. Blurred is the line icon_shaking.gif ....
    what do you think? icon_confused.gif:
    ALWAYS CONSIDER YOUR ROI WHEN CHOOSING YOUR CERTIFICATION.....
  • /usr/usr Posts: 1,768Member
    With practice exams, you're learning the test format, setup of the questions, what type of material from each domain will be asked, etc...

    With ****, you're simply memorizing the answers to a test, not learning anything. Hence, you've got a certification you did not earn.

    You can try to justify braindumps as much as you want, with whatever argument you want. It's cheating, plain and simple. Hence the reason that every vendor says the practice is illegal...
  • WebmasterWebmaster Posts: 10,292Admin Admin
    Indeed. twoschmoov_ballz, it has nothing to do with emotions, although some of us might feel stronger about this than others, braindumps are degrading the value of the certification we worked hard for, we earned, we are qualified for and have proven it (including to ourselves). Reading the questions and answer in advance, whether they are wrong or right, is cheating. That's not my opinion, but a simple fact.

    Our friends at MCMCSE.com have put it very well:
    icon_arrow.gif www.mcmcse.com/articles/braindumps.shtml

    If anyone reading that still feels the need to use braindumps/ actual exam questions/ **** sheets, please find yourself a job in another industry where you can do little or no harm. Certifications are for professionals, and cheating isn't very professional is it? And although it seems to lose its value in the modern world, there's also something as ethics.
  • twoschmoov_ballztwoschmoov_ballz Posts: 3Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please provide clarity to my previous boggle ... Whats the difference between braindumps and test prep software? Please keep in mind, in my previous posting that I do mention that I do not condone cheating, also there is to me a blurred icon_shaking.gif line between the two. One tries to be accurate while the other changes a few things about the question, but asking the same thing.
    Another lil log I'd like to throw in the fire as to why its a lil confusing. Considering how exam prep software came about!!! Those of you that are seasoned or old enough to have worked during the 90's might remember how some exam prep companies used to put ads in the magazines stating, "If you take an exam, and send us a question and we use it, we will send you 50-100$(I think icon_rolleyes.gif )." Matter of fact, I remember now.. Transcender use to do that. Were they or are they considered brain ****?
    Overall I do like what you folks have to say about essentially separating the professionals from the hacks. Also, really studying and working hard on these certifications and earning them, really add immense personal value once you pass and get that paper with your name and specialty on it. Great feeling! icon_cheers.gif
    ALWAYS CONSIDER YOUR ROI WHEN CHOOSING YOUR CERTIFICATION.....
  • forbeslforbesl Posts: 454Member
    I tend to agree that there may be a fine line between "practice" tests and "braindumps". I used two Boson practice versions before I took the SECUR exam and there were quite a few questions from Boson that were almost identical to some questions on the test. Keep in mind that Boson is a "reputable" practice test provider.

    In the end, the decision is up to those who choose to "use" or not to "use". No amount of arguing or discussion is going to sway either side.
  • /usr/usr Posts: 1,768Member
    I made it clear in my previous post, but here we go again.

    Braindumps = EXACT questions which you will see on the test, word for word. You memorize the questions or associate something in the question with the answer, you pass the exam. Give me a list of questions/answers and I'll pass any exam you want me to by reading, re-reading, and writing the questions and answers out multiple times. You do not have to be knowledgable in the slightest to pass a test using ****.

    Test prep = If you try to memorize these and pass an exam, you'll fail. They are questions which are similar to those you'll see on an exam. Thus giving you an understand of the material, question setup, etc. NO question that I've seen on a practice exam has been on an actual exam I've taken.


    Do you understand?
  • /usr/usr Posts: 1,768Member
    I re-read my post and I apologize if it seems I was jumping on you.

    I just can't stand people trying to justify using braindumps. They are morons who obviously posess the reasoning skills of a child.
  • forbeslforbesl Posts: 454Member
    One of the reasons I like this forum is that it IS braindump free. Because it is, all of the riff-raff and spammers stay away. Kudos to the webmaster on keeping it a clean forum.

    I used to frequent Examnotes, but they've gotten so bad I've stopped posting there. Another braindump free site is icertify.net, but the technical/certification content of that forum is not nearly what this one is. It appears to be mainly a small group of regulars who like to play the games and spend most of their time posting threads in the general/miscellaneous forums. When they do decide to place a post in the technical forum (I'm speaking mainly of the Cisco forums there), the only people that ever seem to respond are the small group of regulars.
  • jasoninazjasoninaz Posts: 27Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually study with a beer, I find that it relaxes me and I'm able to get the infromation better.
  • twoschmoov_ballztwoschmoov_ballz Posts: 3Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear LostInSpace,
    Have a drink drunken_smilie.gif or take a sedative sleeping.gif . You are quite the passionate individual and you should'nt let this make you so angry crash.gif

    Maybe I need to make myself even clearer - I do understand when you state, "Braindumps = EXACT questions which you will see on the test, word for word. " That point is CHRYSTAL! But, "You memorize the questions or associate something in the question with the answer, you pass the exam.", is the same thing done with exam preps. As you state,"They are questions which are similar to those you'll see on an exam.". The thing I find even more interesting is that if you use a Sybex, McGraw Hill, etc, they have questions at the end of each chapter and they are nothing like the questions in exam preps or on the exam. You wont find questions simular to what you'll see on the test till you install the test prep software thats usuall in the back of the book.
    These are just my observations, not attacks icon_study.gif . So no need for name calling. icon_thumright.gif

    Dear forbesl
    Thanks for your understanding what I was getting at.. icon_santa.gif
    ALWAYS CONSIDER YOUR ROI WHEN CHOOSING YOUR CERTIFICATION.....
  • /usr/usr Posts: 1,768Member
    Maybe you're using different testing software, or referring to something other than practice tests.

    With all practice material I've used, be it PrepLogic practice exams, practice exams that came with the book's I've order, or sample questions at the end of the chapters, I have never found them to have the same answers as those on the test.

    I apologize again if I seemed angry.
This discussion has been closed.