Options

Is it ok to skip A+, Net+?

importantbrianimportantbrian Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know most people seem to go the A+, Net+ route to start out in the industry. I don't have any industry experience, but I have looked over the material for the A+, Net+ and feel pretty comfortable with it, but given the costs I would prefer to skip them and go strait to a MCTS like 70-640 or 70-642. Would either of those help land an entry level job like an A+, Net+ might, or do I just need to bite the bullet and pay for the A+, Net+?

Comments

• Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    I skipped them, but only because I was fortunate to find a job without any certifications. I was studying for A+ when I was offered my first IT job, and they wanted me to pass the Windows XP (70-270) exam ASAP so I abandoned those. I'll probably go back and do Net+ and Security+ this year however.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I did, I also landed my first job without any certs.

I supported a large amount of MS desktops and knew we were going to be doing some monumentous changes so I started with 270, did some Vista, and went on through windows 7 and MCITP: EA, EDA7, MCTS Hyper-V etc.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I would skip them if you dont need them because of their cost. The question though, is do you potential employers want to see them? You might consider doing just Net+ given that it is one expensive test as opposed to two.

You might also consider doing them anway given that the lifetime certs will no longer be offered in another year or so.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know most people seem to go the A+, Net+ route to start out in the industry. I don't have any industry experience, but I have looked over the material for the A+, Net+ and feel pretty comfortable with it, but given the costs I would prefer to skip them and go strait to a MCTS like 70-640 or 70-642. Would either of those help land an entry level job like an A+, Net+ might, or do I just need to bite the bullet and pay for the A+, Net+?

If you already have a job, or connections then just go for the Cisco or Microsoft path. I am trying to get away from CompTIA as quickly as I can.
  • Options
    If you already have a job, or connections then just go for the Cisco or Microsoft path. I am trying to get away from CompTIA as quickly as I can.

Sadly, I don't have a job in the field or connections. I guess I'll get the Net+ and try to land something entry level. Then move on to MS or Cisco.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I don't have any industry experience

Take a 50 question practice test for each exam. If you score over 80%, skip em.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd skip them. I've always thought of CompTIA certs as nothing more than expensive pieces of paper. If you get any grab the A+ as it seems to be the de facto entry level cert for desk top support type jobs if thats what you are looking for. Do the CCNA instead of the N+ if you want to get into networking. People here seem to be fond of the Sec+ also.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Skip CompTIA completely. Worthless, really.

Obtain an MCP/MCTS or CCNA/CCENT and get much more bang for your buck. Although I know a CCNA can be hard without some base knowledge, but you got to play hard dude!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Sadly, I don't have a job in the field or connections. I guess I'll get the Net+ and try to land something entry level. Then move on to MS or Cisco.

In my opinion, between A+ and Network+, the A+ cert would be the better choice. With most entry-level job listings, I see the A+ is usually required while there isn't much mention of Net+. In other words, if employers could only list one cert as a requirement for their entry-level jobs, chances are they will choose A+. You can pick yourself up a Network+ study guide and go through it cover-to-cover, but I wouldn't spend any money on the cert itself.

But if I had to recommend any certs for you, it would probably be better to go the Microsoft route or buckle down and get the CCENT or CCNA from Cisco.

Good luck.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    A+ seems to be a requirement for a lot of entry level jobs, so that one might not hurt. Other than that, I wouldn't bother with CompTIA certs. If you want to learn about networking, start with the CCENT. If you want to learn about servers, start with a Microsoft or Linux cert. That's my opinion.
  • Options
    ColbyG wrote: »
    A+ seems to be a requirement for a lot of entry level jobs, so that one might not hurt. Other than that, I wouldn't bother with CompTIA certs. If you want to learn about networking, start with the CCENT. If you want to learn about servers, start with a Microsoft or Linux cert. That's my opinion.

So, maybe get the A+ as a way through the HR filter? It seems to me if you are going for an entry level networking or server job though that having the CCENT or MCTS would be more beneficial than the A+. The A+ seems like it's geared more towards the Geek Squad type jobs which I'm not as interested in. That is why I thought about starting with Net+ if I had to do compTIA or just moving strait to MS or Cisco.

Perhaps instead of taking the compTIA certs I will read some of the test material for background skip the test and then move on the the CCENT or MCTS.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    If you plan on doing any DoD work, DoD Directive 8570 requires a certain level of Security certification for any government(DoD) employee or contractor.

The CompTIA Security+ does satisfy the requirement up to a Tech II position or Management I position.

I will probably get it before the end of the year so it does not expire. A+,Net+, and Sec+ starting Jan 1 2011, will have a 3 year expiration date.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    The A+ seems like it's geared more towards the Geek Squad type jobs

Yes and No. Ten years ago, the A+ carried a whole lot more weight than it does now but that doesnt mean it wont help you get a job. Having the A+ shows you have competence in entry-level hardware support. It could get your foot in as a helpdesk tech which is the starting point for most people that have no experience.
  • Options
    If you plan on doing any DoD work, DoD Directive 8570 requires a certain level of Security certification for any government(DoD) employee or contractor.

The CompTIA Security+ does satisfy the requirement up to a Tech II position or Management I position.

I will probably get it before the end of the year so it does not expire. A+,Net+, and Sec+ starting Jan 1 2011, will have a 3 year expiration date.

Yeah, I think I will defiantly get the Sec+ regardless of weather or not I get the other compTIA certs. There is an Air Force base around here that does a lot of research that requires Network and Database Administrators to help run individual projects. So, I will defiantly get the Sec+. I probably won't do it first though so I guess I need to get rockin on the first certs so I can get that one done by 1st Jan.

What part of TN are you from? I'm down here in the mid state.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Take a 50 question practice test for each exam. If you score over 80%, skip em.

Id like to point out that a 50 question practice test is not a good enough indicator of the material you are required to know. There is a reason the exams are almost 100 questions, and A+ makes you take two of them. There are ALOT of things to know.

ANY certification will benefit you, and there is no set order in which you should take them. You don't have to show your possible employer certs you have if you don't want to.

The nice thing about the CompTIA ones is that they are vendor neutral, and I give them the credit as to why I had the interview for the jobs I had. When you start getting more experiance and specialized, then choose what path you want (microsoft, cisco, CIW, etc...).

That is just my 2cents.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

I know several folks who never took those exams are doing just fine today without them.

HOWEVER, they are exceptionally bright and sought certifications that pertained to their level of work and the work they perform for their clients. (Additionally, 2 of them have CS degree's and one has a Masters)....so you decide if they are worth your investment.

The best way to answer that your question is ..."What do YOU want to do in the IT field?"
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    MoInSTLMoInSTL Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My prior employer asked for a volunteer at each site to become A+ certified and paid for a 2 day class & the fee. That was way back in 1999! Of course I have kept current. I used it for warranty part replacements to repair PCs as part of a couple of jobs and build all of my own systems.

I decided a few years later to get my Network+ to apply it toward the MCSA for the elective. I took and passed the Security+ this January towards MCSA: Security. Took and passed 70-270 yesterday.

IMO, all helped lay the groundwork for a good foundation. I think Network+ helped the most for 70-270 (XP) as there are some firewall and network questions on the exam. Covered a bit on gateways, DNS, DHCP, etc.

I have noticed lately more jobs requiring A+ or listed as "preferred".

FWIW, I found the A+ for Dummies and Network+ for Dummies to be concise and easy to read. Just have to get past the titles. icon_wink.gif
    Just started 70-290.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Id like to point out that a 50 question practice test is not a good enough indicator of the material you are required to know.

Take a 100 question practice exam then.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't do any of those certs and just went straight into Cisco. Six Cisco certs later and I haven't felt the effects of not going the "+" route ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I didn't do any of those certs and just went straight into Cisco. Six Cisco certs later and I haven't felt the effects of not going the "+" route ;)

That's what I ended up deciding to do. I'm studying for my CCENT so I can take it before I start school next month. I may not ultimately stick with networking beyond the CCNA, but I wanted to get a solid foundation in it and felt like the Cisco certs were the way to go. It is more challenging than the N+, which keeps me interested and it allows me to get my hands dirty playing with the equipment, which is the primary reason I picked it over N+. I figure in an interview with the N+ I can say well I know this information, but don't really have any real world experience with it. It's all just theory, but with a CCENT I can say well I know this material, and I have hands on experience troubleshooting it from building my own home lab. I could be wrong, but I feel good about.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With respect to others opinions there are some things that having a comptia cert says that others do not.

A+ means you know the small computer architecture no other certs fill that role which is why it is still around.
    Network+ means you understand the basics of networking from routers to cable standards. Cisco covers deeper information on topics that applies to implementing their products and overlaps a good part of network+.
    Security+ means you have a solid foundation of basic security theory it also may explain why certain things should not be done, not just don't do it.

Those certs tell me that you have a solid foundation in areas I do not have to train you in. No matter what path you choose security, networking, small computing or servers these three certs can serve all and provide a great foundation.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    With respect to others opinions there are some things that having a comptia cert says that others do not.

A+ means you know the small computer architecture no other certs fill that role which is why it is still around.
    Network+ means you understand the basics of networking from routers to cable standards. Cisco covers deeper information on topics that applies to implementing their products and overlaps a good part of network+.
    Security+ means you have a solid foundation of basic security theory it also may explain why certain things should not be done, not just don't do it.

Those certs tell me that you have a solid foundation in areas I do not have to train you in. No matter what path you choose security, networking, small computing or servers these three certs can serve all and provide a great foundation.

A lot of certs say a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they're valuable.
  • Options
    Dilan-LTDilan-LT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh man I spent 3 months to learning net+, and now my friends you want to say what the net+ is bullshit.Just kill me....crash.gif
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dilan-LT wrote: »
    Oh man I spent 3 months to learning net+, and now my friends you want to say what the net+ is bullshit.Just kill me....crash.gif

It won't get you very far. It won't hurt to have it, but its more for the personal knowledge gain than anything else.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i definitely skipped those. I had a "internship" @ a small pc repair store in the bx, and there i learned to build pc's, and how to repair them. that was my first introduction to support pc's & users. i was able to get a help desk position without any certs, and i got my first desktop support position after getting my MCDST, but that wasnt the reason why i got it tho.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    ColbyG wrote: »
    A lot of certs say a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they're valuable.

Since they are required by DOD billet and DOD 8570 A+, Network+ and Security+ are worthwhile certs.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Since they are required by DOD billet and DOD 8570 A+, Network+ and Security+ are worthwhile certs.

Well, one employer mandating them doesn't really make them worth while in my book. When all employers (or even just "quite a few") want them then they may be worth while.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options

My understanding is that they aren't required. It's an either or sort of thing. to be an IAT 1 in a DOD capacity you must have either the A+, N+, or SSCP. So you could chose to take the SSCP and skip the +'s. The SSCP puts you in the CISSP track, which the last time I looked was the most valuable cert based on average salary for people that hold it. Plus, if you are going for something higher than IAT 1 then the only CompTia exam that fits any requirements is Sec+, but the SSCP also satisfies the requirement at this level. So, it would seem that if a DOD job is what you were after then the SSCP gives you the most value, because it carries you all the way to the IAT 2, and then you can go for the CISSP for IAT 3. The CISSP satisfies requirements for seven of the different job titles which is by far the most of any of the certs. It would seem that the CISSP is the most valuable so getting the SSCP to give you a foundation before taking CISSP may be the best thing. All of that is assuming you even want to go down the IAT path. There is also IAM, IASAE, and a bunch of levels of CND. Of those the only CompTia cert that satisfies any requirement is the Sec+ for the IAM 1. So, unless your goal is to be an IAT 1 in a DOD capacity then I don't think the A+ or N+ are all that valuable even from a government standpoint. I could be wrong, but that is how I interpreted the DOD 8570 information that I have seen.
  • Options
    There are tech levels and management levels for each location you will be working at. Those require that you hold a specific level of certifications for those jobs which is broad in scope. Which means you can hold any certification in that level to satisfy those requirements.

Next is the billet requirement which dictates what you are allowed to do, this is not directly specified in the 8570.1m. Though it is attributed in the other documentation under 8570. Specific certifications are required to be allowed to work on those components. This is dictated by the organization within DOD and passed on down.

Examples of this would be to have system administrator or root access requires Security+. To be allowed access to networking equipment you are required to have Network+. To work in the small computers shop you are required to have A+. Now sitting in being apart of that work-center puts you at a specific tech or management level within the organization. That is where the IAT and IAM levels come into play. Think of IAT & IAM as tactical objectives and billet requirements as operation objectives. You maybe an IAT II and you can work in a NOC but you cannot touch networking equipment unless you have a Network+ (depends on the DOD org).
    Degrees:
  • Options
    Well, one employer mandating them doesn't really make them worth while in my book. When all employers (or even just "quite a few") want them then they may be worth while.
    Well there are quite a few affected by this.

Anything touching a DOD network requires you to be in compliance with 8570. That includes DIA, CIA, NSA, USAF, USA, USN, USMC, State Department, DOT, ATF, FBI and so on....

Now all partners with the DOD are required to meet those requirements which includes all DOD contractors. That includes Lockheed Martin, L3, Raytheon, SAIC, CSC, Northrup G and so on.

Finally most private organizations follow the government's lead when it comes to policy design and requirements. This is usually because some aspects of compliance and penalties get written into laws that affect the civilian sector. So it is only a matter of time before it does affect private organizations as well.
    Degrees: