Options

Is it ok to skip A+, Net+?

2»

Comments

• Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dilan-LT wrote: »
    Oh man I spent 3 months to learning net+, and now my friends you want to say what the net+ is bullshit.Just kill me....crash.gif

The Network+ will give you a good foundation to use for the CCNA exams though. Hell, just having read the book and getting the certification is nice because now I just cruise through a lot of my networking/security classes without reading the textbooks.

The A+ also let me get waived out of a course at my university so that was definitely nice. Saved myself a good $800 bucks or so and got myself out of 45 hours worth of classroom time.
  • Options
    parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    I got my A+ certification in 2008 and thats what helped me land my job as a Staples Easy Tech now. I took Net+ and between those two I pretty much have my choice of entry to mid level jobs..if anyone was hiring. Im looking for something along the lines of a "help desk" certification...I looked online and there is one, but I can't find any indication it isn't just some bogus exam to get money from me.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Knowledge is never a waste, the value of the cert though is subjective - they are entry level certs and if that is your career level then they will be worth the time and effort. If you are coming from a more mature career point then they're not. No one can accurately say if they are worthwhile or worthless for anyone beyond themselves and where they happen to be right now.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you have any interest in security, go get Sec+ at the least. It is very popular, especially in the government. Even if you aren't working in a security position, it can assure employers you should be trustworthy enough to leave your workstation without locking it.
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im looking for something along the lines of a "help desk" certification...I looked online and there is one, but I can't find any indication it isn't just some bogus exam to get money from me.

I think probably the closest thing you'll find to a legit "help desk" certification beyond the A+/Net+ stuff is like an MCP that deals with basic Microsoft Windows configuration/troubleshooting.
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Knowledge is never a waste, the value of the cert though is subjective - they are entry level certs and if that is your career level then they will be worth the time and effort. If you are coming from a more mature career point then they're not. No one can accurately say if they are worthwhile or worthless for anyone beyond themselves and where they happen to be right now.

Exactly, if you've already got 4-5+ years of experience, you can likely skip the A+/Net+ and go straight for something a bit more advanced like the CCNA.

If you think you're fresh out of high school or college with no experience with a CCNA and gonna jump right into a Jr. Network Engineer position it's not likely to happen unless you have connections.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got into IT buy talking with recruiters and eventually got my first entry level job. I am in agreement with the others, I would try to skip them if at all possible, but if you are having a hard time finding a gig, then get MSDST or the Windows 7 one. A+ wouldn't be to bad either. It tells the employers you at least know somethings about technology. However they are costly but some employers really have a thing for them.

I'd focus on one certification like Net+, A+, or Sec+ or the MSDST/MCTS and then start applying for jobs. Well, actually I would start applying asap, but focus on one cert if you are having a hard time. List that cert (pending) on your resume. And when you go to speak with the interviewer you can explain you are studying for it.

I will tell you one thing. If you plan on getting a government job in the states, you better get a security certification. Sec+ being the favorite since it's not all the difficult to obtain all things considered.
  • Options
    white96gtwhite96gt Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    iDShaDoW and Ahriakin make some good points. You may not need the A+ or Network+ cert, but the basic knowledge gained from studying these topics are needed. No matter what cert you get unless your lucky you will be starting at the bottom if you have no experience. It does not look good if you have multiple Cisco and Microsoft certs, but can't fix a simple hardware problem. I understand skipping the CompTIA certs because of the price, especially with the student discount from Microsoft. I would not skip the knowledge gained from studying the topics tested by A+ and Network+.
  • Options
    rob7278rob7278 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with a some of the previous responces- Do you feel you could/would benefit from learning the material from the A+ or Net+ certs? If yes then they are probably worth it, if no then skip em. Too often the focus on certifications is on the letters you get to add after your name and not on the knowledge gained. From a show and tell standpoint the CompTia certs aren't going to impress anyone too much. Also paying double the price to sit a test ($250) and not having the second chance voucher to bail you out if you fail is extremely stressful- I sat the Security+ exam and was crapping in my pants when I had to click "Finish Exam". Fortunatley I passed (barely) and didn't have to shell out another $250.