Options

Have any of you ever done this:

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I interviewed with a company about 2 weeks ago. I have been having some issues getting information as far as whats going on with the position. I have been emailing them (not every day and not to often) to check up on the position and I haven't been getting a response. I also called up there Friday and they said that they will be doing call backs this week. I know they called my references and I know my references didn't tell them I am a shoe bomber or anything.

I am thinking about going up there and talking to them directly. Its Tueday and I start school in a week so I won't be able to just interview whenever they want. Plus I already scheduled my classes and since they were moving slow, I am not sure if I could change my class schedule at this point (without losing my classes). I am thinking about going up there and just politely ask am I in the running or not because I don't want to lose my classes. Is this a good idea? Have any of you ever done this? Just so you know, the way I got the interview was I dropped off my resume at the front desk.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I'm not 100% sure I would just barge in. If they took the time to call your references, they likely have some vested interest in you. Its possible other factors are holding it up.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure I would just barge in. If they took the time to call your references, they likely have some vested interest in you. Its possible other factors are holding it up.

I mean I am not going to just bust in and say "Break yourself fool" (this would be awesome though) but its like I really need to schedule my classes and I need to know what the deal is, you know?

The way I see it is this: Either they are going to be like "This guys has incredible balls, I like that. Let's bring him on" or they are going to be like "This guy is rude. F him. Lets not hire him" and I will be back to square one. I really don't have anything to lose and I am beyond "pride" at this point because I am losing my mind...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    If you dont mind the fact that there is a chance they will think its rude, then by all means do it. If there is nothing to lose, the only thing to do is try.
  • Options
    OnefiveOnefive Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Annoying situation to be in. There are a lot of factors which could be holding things up. Particularly HR, and their bureaucratic policies. I definitely wouldn't go there in person, that is just kind of weird. If they don't call you back as they said they would, call them the next week and explain your situation. If you didn't get the job, the least they can do is say "Sorry, we didn't think your qualifications were a good fit etc.."
  • Options
    Onefive wrote: »
    Annoying situation to be in. There are a lot of factors which could be holding things up. Particularly HR, and their bureaucratic policies. I definitely wouldn't go there in person, that is just kind of weird. If they don't call you back as they said they would, call them the next week and explain your situation. If you didn't get the job, the least they can do is say "Sorry, we didn't think your qualifications were a good fit etc.."

The thing is, I explained this to them when I interviewed that I am going to be in school soon and I really need to know a yes or no by the end of the month (to which they said thats fine). I guess at this point I just really need an answer and I am willing to go the extra mile to get it. Obviously I want the job but even if I don't get it, I need to know one way or the other.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    If you're ok with possibly not getting it, go for it. I've played the waiting game before, and it definitely sucks. Now I tend to just try to let things go and figure if they want me me for the job they'll call.

It's tough to say, but if you're ok with the risk, why not.
  • Options
    ColbyG wrote: »
    If you're ok with possibly not getting it, go for it. I've played the waiting game before, and it definitely sucks. Now I tend to just try to let things go and figure if they want me me for the job they'll call.

It's tough to say, but if you're ok with the risk, why not.

There is a possibility I won't get it no matter what I do right icon_lol.gif

But I know what your saying. My part of the country isn't exactly an IT hub. The nearest major cities are 60 miles away. I just had a phone interview (final interview) today with a company and it seemed to go well but honestly I just don't feel like driving that far right now. I want to finish my degree (as well as make sure my wife finishes hers, as she is 4 classes away) and get the hell out of this place but I need some money first. SO I guess its do or die.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I think you are risking more by going there than not.

You said that you told them you needed to know by the end of the month. It is March 23rd so they still have an entire week until the agreed upon date.

If you aren't going to get the job, you won't be losing anything. However, if you are going to get the job, you are risking changing their minds.

In my opinion, if somebody did this I wouldn't see them as a go getter, I would see them as desperate. I'm not saying that you actually are desperate, just that this is how it would appear to me.

If I was you, I would lay low for another week (until the end of the month) before I did anything further. If you mailed them a hand written letter to thank them for the opportunity after the interview, and have already emailed/called since then, I think your best bet is to just show some patience at this point.

Just my 2 cents...
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dont do it man....dont do it! its one thing to email, or even a phone call....but dont show up there asking to speak to the hiring manager. thats just overkill.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Yeah. It is way overkill. Think of it as a girl you just met. You go on a coffee date or something, you exchange numbers and talk about getting together some other time in the future. In this situation, you definitely wouldn't want to keep calling her every day, and if you just showed up at her house she would think you are desperate and crazy! You have to play it cool! Let them come to you!
  • Options
    I put a poll on the thread to see where everyone stands.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't do it. They're obviously interested and it may spoil your chances. They called your ref's so you know there's a chance.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like others said, if they have called your references, they are looking at you as a possible candidate but by barging in there(that's what I would think), you might ruin your chances. There is a week left so lay low and call them at the end of next week, if you haven't heard from them.

Good luck.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unless you were my only candidate (and even then likely) I'd think you were going to be overly pushy and would likely turn out to be a huge pain in the ass of an employee; if you demanded an answer I'd give you one - NO.

It sounds like your only concern is going to be around scheduling an interview around your school - if they're interested enough in you to want to interview you they're likely willing to wiggle a little on the time.

I'm going to say it again, leave them alone and give them some time, lest you turn into one of those "top 10 ways not to get hired" articles on the internet. :)
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I was talking to a friend yesterday who's unemployed and actively looking for a job. He's got several hits in the past month and also several interviews after a couple months without landing any. He told me he had never done so great in as many interviews to end up with nothing.

He has been calling to find out why they didnt get the offer and they keep saying they picked somebody else. He started calling again to ask for the reasons and they all said they picked somebody more qualified but he is high in a list oof eligibles for a next position.

M point here is that the state of the world economy makes the hiring process the HHRR manager's wet dream. They are getting all kinds of even overqualified ppeople applying for jobs. Way too many good people doing nothing. They are also using their bargaining power and there is not much we can do, but keep learning and getting better.

Dont get discourage and keep looking.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    Wow this poll is pretty neck and neck :sarcasm:
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Hahaha. Owned.

I've been in the same spot, hell, I'm sure most of us have. I've gotten to the point where I don't care if I get the job or not, I just want to KNOW. But it's probably not a good idea to show up there. If you don't want to sit around and wait, just call every few days and see what they say.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've had people pull that move on me before, they don't get the job.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've had girlfriends that pulled maneuvers like that. IE they are like hey let's go do this and I don't answer and then they are at my door lookin all crazy. Don't come off as being a crazy!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I definitely wouldn't just barge in. I almost consider phone calls to be too on-the-spot.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The best approach would be to march in that place, pull down your pants, and slap the hiring manager on the face with your junk. They'll probably hire you on the spot, as studies show that this works every time (see note).

(Note: Studies show that doing this will actually get you arrested.)
  • Options
    Thanks for the health bit of perspective guys.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would've voted for "break yo self fool" had it been an option. Instead I went for bad idea.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I never follow up on interviews. If they want you they'll call you. It's not like they forgot that they're hiring a position. I personally think that even emailing or calling is out of line.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I never follow up on interviews. If they want you they'll call you. It's not like they forgot that they're hiring a position. I personally think that even emailing or calling is out of line.

Agreed. I will email them after a phone interview to thank them for the opportunity and send a hand written letter for an in person interview.

Anything more than that is crossing into the land of being too needy and only hurts your chances in my opinion.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    ck86ck86 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LOL pretty one sided poll.

I think showing up in person only makes the situation awkward for the employer and only in a very very rare occasion would come off as a good thing. Especially if they've already told you over the phone to wait, I think showing up in person to ask the same question would hurt and show you as being desperate, impatient, and unable to follow a simple task.
  • Options

I don't think a follow up e-mail or phone call is bad. But it has to be within reason. I would only do this if you have had an on-site interview, and I would only do it ONCE, after maybe a week or so from that interview. There is nothing wrong with seeming interested in a job.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Onefive wrote: »
    I don't think a follow up e-mail or phone call is bad. But it has to be within reason. I would only do this if you have had an on-site interview, and I would only do it ONCE, after maybe a week or so from that interview. There is nothing wrong with seeming interested in a job.

yeah, I've done follow up emails. Hell, I've had pplz tell me to shout them an email in a week or so to see where I stand.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□

I tend to agree with this as well.. If they want me, they'll call. If they don't call or show any further interest themselves, I don't want to work there.

However, that could just be easy to say while still being ín a job..
    WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've had people pull that move on me before, they don't get the job.

Yup, every job I have gotten I followed up with an email the next day mentioning things we discussed in the interview and how I am interested in the position and I leave it at that.

I had one guy that kept calling and asking about a position and when we finally told him we hired somebody else he fracking flipped out saying he was qualified for the position.

Um just because your qualified does not mean nobody else is either and the fact that you flipped out on the phone makes me happy you were not chosen.