Options

Not good field..Giving up..changing career

benchodbenchod Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Here is my story, worked as restaurant manager got tired of life decided to change career to IT. Well, after year as tech support, I'm sick and tired of my life. I hate every minute of my life infact I'm more stress and depress then before.

Anytime actual , let me repeat actual IT job opens I lack qualifications (aka.. not enough exp ) , well how am I supposed to get IT exp with actually being network admin ? ( the ?? ).

Ok fine, I thought well let me put more time as tech 1 ( NOT Real IT job at all ), I have yet consider for any position. Mater fact, I feel I'm losing my ability to communicate , manage, etc..which I did in previous job..Don't ask why I quite being restaurant manager..too much labor work.

Anyhow, I'm deciding to change career again to something else ( actual career ).

Anyone starting in IT... NEVER EVER TAKE TECH 1, you will feel crap and it will go no where... waste of time.. no such thing as starting at bottom, if you do you will stay at bottom..

good luck.. So hard getting Real IT job.

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    IT very well may not be the field for you. There's no reason to try and discourage others from entering, though. It takes time and serious effort/learning to work your way up in this biz. Did you become a restaurant manager after 1 year of flipping burgers?

I've been doing IT related work for 8 years now and still do grunt work on a daily basis. I made a few bad career moves in the past and am trying to make up for them now through lots of studying and hard work. If your current job isn't taking your where you want to go then by all means look for another one. But don't miss out on the learning opportunities that even a Tech 1 position can offer you.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sorry to hear things didn't work out as planned for you, but I really don't think one year is enough time to judge the whole field of IT. Just keep in mind IT is not the only field you have to start at the bottom. You will probably run into the same stuff no matter what you switch to. Working your way up doesn't happen over night man.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    have you put any effort into certifications? You've been in your role for one year and you're complaining about not getting opportunities, but how many people came before you that are more deserving? You can't just get a tech bench job and expect to be the network admin in 12 months. It may not have been the right career choice for you to start with.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Did you think it might be your attitude?

Or the fact that you, from this post, can't seem to properly type in english?

Not trying to be rude, being serious here.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    peaceout.jpg
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as don the magic juan said" be good the game and it will be good to you"

first thing is if you had a goal you should have been taking steps to completing it. I have been in IT 10 yrs.. and it wasn't all gravy. during this time i have got screwed over, burned out and knocked down.
    However, You must have heart which over comes the problems that leads to being granted awesome opportunities for education/training, travel, making new contacts and $$$.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most of us have worked awful jobs a lot longer than that to get where we are. This isn't a field for everyone, but you should be careful when making such broad generalizations.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good thing I did not quit the help desk my first year after constant stream of angry callers ticked off their PC was not working properly. You have to make your own opportunities in life, if you got beat down this fast then your not ready to handle the stress of higher positions. Such as making a mistake in Checkpoint and leaving for the weekend and coming in monday and wondering why your voicemail is full and you turn on your cell and get bombarded with voicemail notifications.......
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    benchod wrote: »
    Anyhow, I'm deciding to change career again to something else ( actual career ).

What "actual career" are you picking?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you need a dose of reality. Any career starting out is going to be hard. I have worked in IT part time, while working two other jobs to survive, and while taking college classes because I believed the combination would help down the line. IT is not one of those jobs you can just get a degree or certification and then be golden. It takes a special kind of dedication unless you just want to live in the Help Desk for the rest of your life.

Personally I think you attitude in general stinks. I only say this because you need to realize that if you plan to succeed at anything you need to be dedicated and not waiver.
  • Options
    Do you know ration of interviewer for single IT position ? IT market is rough.

I think career in health care is more suitable for future and security.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It appears you're expecting to get moved up really fast with little effort. You've given it a year?? Have you worked on any certs? I was an assistant manager in a restaraunt once, didn't take long to get there. IT is a lot tougher field, you have to have the desire to constantly learn and better yourself.
    A lot of people with certs who are studying for more certs are standing in line waiting for your job to open up.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514

You worked for 1 year in a Tier 1 help desk position. I highly doubt you are qualified to talk about the IT market. In fact, I know you aren't.

You don't mention any certifications you have achieved, any experience gained, or.. anything. All you are doing is whining about why no one is throwing themselves at your feet begging you to be their next network/system admin after working for only one year in a tier 1 job.

IT is all about growth. In IT, you will spend a lot of your time studying, reading, studying some more, running labs, reading some more, labbing some more, and studying again. On your own time.

----

Based on your "actual career" choice, I am going to guess you are easily swayed by friends/articles about how "easy money" there is in IT, or health care etc. You want to fast track to $$$. It isn't going to happen.

So, anyway.. have fun in the health care industry. I hear entry level positions there involve changing diapers and wiping asses. But I am sure you will change careers once again after 12 months of checking blood pressure and no one will hire you as their Chief Neurosurgeon.

EDIT: I need coffee. :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You worked for 1 year in a Tier 1 help desk position. I highly doubt you are qualified to talk about the IT market. In fact, I know you aren't.

You don't mention any certifications you have achieved, any experience gained, or.. anything. All you are doing is whining about why no one is throwing themselves at your feet begging you to be their next network/system admin after working for only one year in a tier 1 job.

IT is all about growth. In IT, you will spend a lot of your time studying, reading, studying some more, running labs, reading some more, labbing some more, and studying again. On your own time.

----

Based on your "actual career" choice, I am going to guess you are easily swayed by friends/articles about how "easy money" there is in IT, or health care etc. You want to fast track to $$$. It isn't going to happen.

So, anyway.. have fun in the health care industry. I hear entry level positions there involve changing diapers and wiping asses. But I am sure you will change careers once again after 12 months of checking blood pressure and no one will hire you as their Chief Neurosurgeon.

you do need coffee.

@bradley...LOL awesome pic
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    keenon wrote: »
    you do need coffee.

@bradley...LOL awesome pic

Anyone know what movie that is from? I'm intrigued!
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□

----

My points to add that go with most of yours:

1) I hope the OP is a non-native English speaker. I mean, seriously.

2) OP gave it one years try?? Wow, and I bet you were making HUGE money as a restaurant manager...

3) No education?? No Certs?? Expects to get beyond a helpdesk? YOU READ SCRIPTS FOR A LIVING, and haven't listed putting any actual effort into learning!

4) Seriously, you need to stop listening to advertisements. PCPRO isn't going to get you a job making in the 40's in only three months. Health care coding (ONLY A YEAR WORTH OF TRAINING!!!! ZOMG WHAT A DEAL!) isn't going to get you the easy life. You have to work, learn, and put in some actual effort.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone know what movie that is from? I'm intrigued!

Napolean Dynamite....thats Napolean's brother Kip
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Did you become a restaurant manager after 1 year of flipping burgers?

Not that I'm proud of it, but I did. At 17 years old I was hired as a cook, and a month before my 18th birthday I became the store manager. Maybe he did the same and expected the same in IT..not going to happen obviously...

IT isn't for everyone. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    OP,

Have you ever thought that the problem might not be outside of yourself? That is not a question for you to answer in open forums. Just answer yourself. And whatever it is your answer, dig deeper, think again and try to be honest. When you get some answers, develop a plan and act accordingly.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Not that I'm proud of it, but I did. At 17 years old I was hired as a cook, and a month before my 18th birthday I became the store manager. Maybe he did the same and expected the same in IT..not going to happen obviously...

IT isn't for everyone. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

Nothing to be ashamed of by any means.

You probably were a hard-working honest kid.

BUT, being a manager in a restaurant is memorizing a little bit of health code, and simply learning how to do orders so that you don't end up with spoiled food. All of which can be learned in the job.

IT is all about knowledge and education. If you are sitting at the help desk and not studying in your 'down' time you are not going to go anywhere...
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□

If you're at least 25, you can aim for a position as a member of the US House of Representatives. Those are great jobs, but they generally only have openings every two years. Luckily, this is one of those years!

I've also heard that being a professional athlete (MLB, NFL, NBA) can be quite lucrative. I'm sure if you practice for a year & put in the same effort as you did with your IT career, you'll get a great contract.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The economy is tough right now. I would also like to say that a "Career" takes time and hard work. A career cannot be givin or earned in 6 months. I have worked hard for the past 6 years studying and working my way up. I am a qualified experience network engineer now, one cannot walk his way into a career. To be established in any career it will take a minimum of 3 to 4 years of studying and job experience. Think about electricians, you think you will get into that field as a senior position? you have to start at the bottom, study, and work your way up , which will take you anywhere from 2-4 years. All career jobs aside from surgeons and doctors will take you anywhere from 3 to 4 years of on the job experience and further study. I went to college and university for 6 years (took my time lol) i still study now after i got my degree. I beileve the same thing applies for the construction industry, you think your going to walk in there and get a high profile job? not going to happen. You will pick up scrap and trash before you start hammering the nails. Careers take time and studying, just remember that. I have seen a lot of kids goto high profile universities for their IT degree , coming out owing 80+ thousand dollars in student loans, only to find an entry level position at the help desk or junior position in servers or networking, getting paid 40K ..... just thought you should know.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Less competition for the rest of us.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300

Obama will fix that shortly!
    Let me guess, certifications don't prove anything and are a waste of time?
  • Options
    wileypagewileypage Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sometimes just a certification isn't enough...companies are also looking for 'well rounded' individuals that have leadership abilities. A degree that shows that an individual has a business acumen. They don't want you spendng their money if you don't have a concept of finances. Broaden your education and as others have said ' increase your IT skills also. I agree.. whining about it won't solve your problms.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ...you need to realize that if you plan to succeed at anything you need to be dedicated and not waiver.

+1

Words to live by.
  • Options
    Actually, I'm planning on going to full time college of physician assistance school. I already have BS in Business Management ( to poster who said I lack education )

I'm sure IT is great career for many only if you started 10 years ago not now. It's nearly impossible to get exposure to IT field in 2010 without expereince or background then it was 10 years ago or 5 years ago.

Oh FYI..PA will earn $85000 to $90000 . Check mate, tell me if IT pays anything near that with job security ?

besides, you may think my english sucks, not really.. this is a freaking fourm get real not a essay or standardized test.

Anyhow good luck everyone.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Oh FYI..PA will earn $85000 to $90000 . Check mate, tell me if IT pays anything near that with job security ?

I'd love to know where you get these figures from. $90K after how many years?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Actually, I'm planning on going to full time college of physician assistance school. I already have BS in Business Management ( to poster who said I lack education )

I'm sure IT is great career for many only if you started 10 years ago not now. It's nearly impossible to get exposure to IT field in 2010 without expereince or background then it was 10 years ago or 5 years ago.

besides, you may think my english sucks, not really.. this is a freaking fourm get real not a essay or standardized test.

Anyhow good luck everyone.

LMAO.

I hear people talking all the time about nursing shortages and how nurses make 70k a year and up. But thats not entirely true.

Generally, you have to be willing to work an absolutely abysmal schedule to make decent money as a nurse. 12 hour rotations, often 2nd or 3rd shift on the weekends. You also stand less chance of making money unless you specialize in a field of medicine and become a nurse (or physicians assistant) for that field.

Congrats, in a year you will literally be wiping poop from peoples bedsheets and butts while making minimum wage and crying "NOT GOOD FIELD...GIVING UP...CHANGING CURREER!!"
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Actually my brother in law works for Cisco has had his job now for 6 years and has no worries of ever loosing his job and makes over $110,000 + benefits + perks. You don't need to worry about job security for the most part as long as your good at what you do.