Options

Not good field..Giving up..changing career

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    politics have no place here.

either way no matter what you do for a career. continuing education is required unless you plan on doing nothing forever. we evolve or no longer exist.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    never met or heard of any college grad with no job experience in thier field , earning 80 to 90+ k a year. I dont care if its robbing liquor stores, your not going to get that amount after your first 7-eleven lol Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    benchod wrote: »
    Actually, I'm planning on going to full time college of physician assistance school. I already have BS in Business Management ( to poster who said I lack education )

I'm sure IT is great career for many only if you started 10 years ago not now. It's nearly impossible to get exposure to IT field in 2010 without expereince or background then it was 10 years ago or 5 years ago.

Oh FYI..PA will earn $85000 to $90000 . Check mate, tell me if IT pays anything near that with job security ?

besides, you may think my english sucks, not really.. this is a freaking fourm get real not a essay or standardized test.

Anyhow good luck everyone.

I could have been like you. When I graduated undergrad in 2004, i had a ton of interviews for entry level IT positions(QA Analyst, Database Analyst, Technical Analyst, HelpDesk Analyst), but i didnt get any of them. but i kept looking, in the meantime i was working @ best buy selling PCs, then i left there to go work @ FedEx delivering packages. I admit, when i was at fedex, i got complacent for a while, but then I got focused again, and went back on the hunt. I kept getting turned down for IT positions because i didnt have enough experience, but i kept pluggin away. so in mid 2007, i finally landed a tech support position, it was really proprietary support, but it was something, and it got my foot in the door. and i used the customer service techniques to parlay that into a Desktop Support position less than 2 years later. and i'm goin to use my experience i gain doin desktop support to move up to sys admin. The point of my story is, if i had done the same thing as you are doin (and you already have an IT job), then i would have gotten into the field and ended up where i'm at now, and with a pretty good salary & bonus package{PAUSE!!!} if i decided to quit. I appreciate the hardships i went thru trying to get to where i'm at now. its kinda of like a pledge process you go thru tryin to become a member of a frat....you dont like it when you're going thru it, but once you're in, and have advanced you look back and reflect.

and its cool that you're goin to switch to PA, but what if when you're done with that, and you cant get a job right away, or even after a year, what you gonna do then? you gonna have another rant about that then? anything worth having takes time and effort.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Heh, I still do grunt work every day as IT Operations Manager. I ain't too proud. I've been in IT for almost 15 years now. My salary is higher than the figure you just threw out too, and has been for years.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Actually, I'm planning on going to full time college of physician assistance school. I already have BS in Business Management ( to poster who said I lack education )

I'm sure IT is great career for many only if you started 10 years ago not now. It's nearly impossible to get exposure to IT field in 2010 without expereince or background then it was 10 years ago or 5 years ago.

Oh FYI..PA will earn $85000 to $90000 . Check mate, tell me if IT pays anything near that with job security ?

besides, you may think my english sucks, not really.. this is a freaking fourm get real not a essay or standardized test.

Alright soo if you're in it for the money then maybe IT isn't for you. There are those people out there that think it's all about the money which is really sad because it isn't all about the money.

I know it's hard to find a job in IT and everything but it doesn't mean that you give up. I've seen IT jobs that paid at most 100,000 and that was at my school, which is a community college. From what I'm told, college usually won't get rid of people unless they really mess up or they absolutely have to. I've also seen a position for CIO at a hospital for 90,000 a year. There is you're report for some salaries in IT.

You're correct that this is a forum. But it's also respectful for you to proper grammar whenever possible. I have some advice for you. YOU GET REAL!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Congrats, in a year you will literally be...
    Actually it will be at least 2-3 years before that happens since that's how long the training takes:
    Physician assistant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    He tried something for a year, found out it wasn't his thing, and he's moving on. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. Wish him well and enjoy having one less person to compete with icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So what are you going to do when your bad attitude doesn't let you progress in that field either?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    So what are you going to do when your bad attitude doesn't let you progress in that field either?

Give up and move in with your mom.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    Give up and move in with your mom.

Oh snap, we have a new mom to rag on now?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options

I dunno. Paul's mom makes mine seem like she has standards, so it's almost too easy...
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□

I'll cut you.

PS - How do you get into Networker's mom's pants?

Pick em up off my floor.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    LMAO.

I hear people talking all the time about nursing shortages and how nurses make 70k a year and up. But thats not entirely true.

Generally, you have to be willing to work an absolutely abysmal schedule to make decent money as a nurse. 12 hour rotations, often 2nd or 3rd shift on the weekends. You also stand less chance of making money unless you specialize in a field of medicine and become a nurse (or physicians assistant) for that field.

Congrats, in a year you will literally be wiping poop from peoples bedsheets and butts while making minimum wage and crying "NOT GOOD FIELD...GIVING UP...CHANGING CURREER!!"
    My wifes a nurse....works 2 days a week (12 hour shifts) and makes about $40,000. Not bad for only working 2 days a week.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    just kill and lock this thread already, its over like ....ummm , his IT career? lol i had to say it....
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You wouldnt last in your "actual career" too, for much more than a year.

Quit having a whinge and work hard mate. Rome wasnt made overnight. You got to work hard and prove you are good. No one is going to hand you the network after a year of taking phone calls.

I like my current role and only got it after 4 years of toiling in lesser roles. You go to work your way up dude. Get a real dose of reality and read and re-read what the previous posters have said.

And work on your English too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□

I make more than that and it took me a decade to get there with a lot of self study and school.
  • Options
    And the medical field is booming but also imploding in many areas. With higher unemployment and health care costs going up double digits every year and the number of people not able to pay for medical services, many hospitals are either closing or laying off.
  • Options
    K this CISA book is boring me to tears, I quit! icon_thumright.gif

/sarcasm
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sure you could jump in to any other field and that's fine but the key is to do something you like and can be passionate about. That passion is what will get you through the first few years of suck. I started out as level support too. Good luck if you become a PA but I hope you are passionate about helping people, I'm not sure that the trenches of health care are going to be any better than IT.
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Do you know ration of interviewer for single IT position ? IT market is rough.

I think career in health care is more suitable for future and security.

Talk about grunt work. You will probably start changing adult diapers in this field. If you really enjoy helping people, that should not bother you.

It seems like you need to find out what you really enjoy and pursue. I don't think you should pursue a career based only on security alone, make sure you love what you do.

I have been working in IT (helpdesk) in the health care field for a couple of years now and I can tell you I love what I do. I can also tell you that certs are very helpful for moving up, at least at my location. I won't say much more than that- don't want to count the chickens before they hatch, but you will get noticed if you read your books during the slow times while everyone else is wasting bandwidth looking up useless stuff online.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    kenny831 wrote: »
    while everyone else is wasting bandwidth looking up useless stuff online.

Like checking up on the TE forums icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Ha...I was thinking the same thing. Does anyone else have a problem with spending too much time on here? I often think that I should be studying my ICND1 material rather than reading about others doing so.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It can be frustrating the lack of vertical mobility when you start out. But looking back if it was *really* what you wanted to do then even the crappy jobs are bareable. Im a Network Architect these days and I do some crappy work sometimes. In terms of getting on, its 2010 and the fasttrack is rather narrow these days. Difficult to bluff it. The industry has matured along with the people working in it. They are timeserved and want to see something special to justify the raise or promotion. A lot of competition out there and people hanging on to their jobs with retirement a long way off. But if your middle aged and you have a family hanging off you thats quite understandable. Bills to pay!
  • Options
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a problem with spending too much time on here?

Nope, just you icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a problem with spending too much time on here? I often think that I should be studying my ICND1 material rather than reading about others doing so.
    You should study first -- and then after a productive study session reward yourself with a visit here. icon_cool.gif If you hit an issue in your studies, make your best attempt to work through it and finish your study session -- then come here and search the forums to see if someone else has hit the same problem or post your well thought out question.

I usually visit here when I'm on a conference call, and I spend waaaaaaaaaay too much time on conference calls.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    After 1 year you can't say that. You haven't given it a go for a proper career change, and you clearly didn't do your research in getting into IT tech work.

I don't particularly enjoy what I am doing at the moment, but for the first 2 years I did. I do know what I need to move on.

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You should study first -- and then after a productive study session reward yourself with a visit here. icon_cool.gif If you hit an issue in your studies, make your best attempt to work through it and finish your study session -- then come here and search the forums to see if someone else has hit the same problem or post your well thought out question.

I usually visit here when I'm on a conference call, and I spend waaaaaaaaaay too much time on conference calls.

Mikes quite right about that. Knuckle down and come on here after some study time. We have a number of self study threads that help people keep focus and judging by the views seem rather popular. I do a lot of conference calls myself so my check in time here varies but after some elapsed time its nice to pop back and see whats going on as well as research a few things Im on with in the field.

Dont waste time on the internet. It's useful but you could be reading a book, getting on with an objective at work to help your career, or spending quality time with your family.
  • Options
    Pash wrote: »
    After 1 year you can't say that. You haven't given it a go for a proper career change, and you clearly didn't do your research in getting into IT tech work.

I don't particularly enjoy what I am doing at the moment, but for the first 2 years I did. I do know what I need to move on.

Pash

I am in the same boat, I would really like to dig deeper into more technical stuff like pen testing but now find myself studying stuff to keep a roof over my head.
  • Options
    GWadejr34GWadejr34 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just responded to a forum similar to this one because I'm new to the IT field; brand spanking new. At 33, this isn't the time to decide that I'm bored with life and want to go in a different direction. But, I'm doing it because of the longevity and job security that comes with the IT industry. However, I understand that the job security only comes by way of hard work and dedication. I've been where you are now, thinking that you can just jump into a position at the snap of a finger because "you deserve" to be the big kahuna and make those big bucks. Let me let you in on a little secret, there is no easy money, there are no overnight success stories in business and in life, each thing you accomplish must be earned, and you must be willing to make the sacrifices to move up in the world. One year is nothing if you don't apply yourself. You should be happy that you had the opportunity to even be granted a help desk position. I'm going into this with the understanding that I'll be making much less than I currently make...$130,000/yr fyi...But, I have to make huge sacrifices away from my family in order to do this. I work as a support element for the military in Iraq. When I come home, hopefully soon, that money will not be there. But I'm willing to work my A%% off to make this happen for my family. I also know that I'll respect what I do that much more because I had to earn it; this is what you need to learn. Apparently, too many things have been given to you or you've had it way to easy. I have a wife and four daughters to support and I guarantee that I will come through for them. You really need to look at yourself in the mirror and ask the tough questions; do I really deserve what I'm whining about? Have I really earned the right to trash talk about all of the dedicated IT helpdesk personnel who have worked their butts off to move up? (<--you have done this whether you know it or not) And the most important question...Did you say something bad about the helpdesk jobs, during the interviews, to someone that actually put in the time and effort to become something? Don't make it seem like life sucks and your not being given the opportunities you deserve; take your a%% out there and make it happen, case closed. Study, get your certs, and come up with a plan of action as to how you will acheive your goals. This forum is a launching pad for learning and understanding the headaches and benefits of the IT world; you really need to pay attention to the people that post in here and maybe you'll learn something that might help you. I've spent hours upon hours reading and taking notes from the hundreds of years of experience here, I suggest you do the same. By the way, you really do need to take time and read what you write to ensure that it's correct. I understand that you have your degree already; act like it. My intent is not to make you look bad, but you need to look in the mirror and realize that things are not nearly as bad as you think. Being depressed is your excuse for not wanting to strive harder after a year at the bottom of the rung? BS, I was diagnosed with depression a long time ago and I have always strived to be the best I could, even when I Felt like the world was against me. You will always be the same people until you decide to change your life and your thoughts, give it some more time and work a little harder at your craft and the doors will open for you. It doesn't matter what you do, if you want to make the big money and have the easy life; you have to earn it, period.
  • Options
    Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gwadejr34 wrote: »
    i just responded to a forum similar to this one because i'm new to the it field; brand spanking new. At 33, this isn't the time to decide that i'm bored with life and want to go in a different direction. But, i'm doing it because of the longevity and job security that comes with the it industry. However, i understand that the job security only comes by way of hard work and dedication. I've been where you are now, thinking that you can just jump into a position at the snap of a finger because "you deserve" to be the big kahuna and make those big bucks. Let me let you in on a little secret, there is no easy money, there are no overnight success stories in business and in life, each thing you accomplish must be earned, and you must be willing to make the sacrifices to move up in the world. One year is nothing if you don't apply yourself. You should be happy that you had the opportunity to even be granted a help desk position. I'm going into this with the understanding that i'll be making much less than i currently make...$130,000/yr fyi...but, i have to make huge sacrifices away from my family in order to do this. I work as a support element for the military in iraq. When i come home, hopefully soon, that money will not be there. But i'm willing to work my a%% off to make this happen for my family. I also know that i'll respect what i do that much more because i had to earn it; this is what you need to learn. Apparently, too many things have been given to you or you've had it way to easy. I have a wife and four daughters to support and i guarantee that i will come through for them. You really need to look at yourself in the mirror and ask the tough questions; do i really deserve what i'm whining about? Have i really earned the right to trash talk about all of the dedicated it helpdesk personnel who have worked their butts off to move up? (<--you have done this whether you know it or not) and the most important question...did you say something bad about the helpdesk jobs, during the interviews, to someone that actually put in the time and effort to become something? Don't make it seem like life sucks and your not being given the opportunities you deserve; take your a%% out there and make it happen, case closed. Study, get your certs, and come up with a plan of action as to how you will acheive your goals. This forum is a launching pad for learning and understanding the headaches and benefits of the it world; you really need to pay attention to the people that post in here and maybe you'll learn something that might help you. I've spent hours upon hours reading and taking notes from the hundreds of years of experience here, i suggest you do the same. By the way, you really do need to take time and read what you write to ensure that it's correct. I understand that you have your degree already; act like it. My intent is not to make you look bad, but you need to look in the mirror and realize that things are not nearly as bad as you think. Being depressed is your excuse for not wanting to strive harder after a year at the bottom of the rung? Bs, i was diagnosed with depression a long time ago and i have always strived to be the best i could, even when i felt like the world was against me. You will always be the same people until you decide to change your life and your thoughts, give it some more time and work a little harder at your craft and the doors will open for you. It doesn't matter what you do, if you want to make the big money and have the easy life; you have to earn it, period.

You have just been hit by wall of text