Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Finally wrapped up Financial Aid stuff, should be able to start the EWB next week and get that out of the way.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My enrollment advisor just ordered my transfer eval, so hopefully I hear by Wednesday. And then I knock out the orientation class.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I got my clearance to start EWB on the 15th. Transcript evaluation is complete, but not quite as much transferred as I had expected. I have credit for 22 classes and am having 5 more re-evaluated. I am taking Microsoft 70-680 on Thursday to take care of CSV1 & DHV1?. So that should leave about 10 classes to graduate.

Has anyone had success in getting classes re-evaluted and then getting them transferred in?

I also haven't heard anything from fin aid. I know I qualify for a Pell Grant and a couple of scholarships but they said that I don't have to worry about it. I just received my first bill and it says that it isn't due until 6 weeks after I start.
  • Options
    swild wrote: »
    I got my clearance to start EWB on the 15th. Transcript evaluation is complete, but not quite as much transferred as I had expected. I have credit for 22 classes and am having 5 more re-evaluated. I am taking Microsoft 70-680 on Thursday to take care of CSV1 & DHV1?. So that should leave about 10 classes to graduate.

Has anyone had success in getting classes re-evaluted and then getting them transferred in?

I also haven't heard anything from fin aid. I know I qualify for a Pell Grant and a couple of scholarships but they said that I don't have to worry about it. I just received my first bill and it says that it isn't due until 6 weeks after I start.

Financial aid can take some time, as they are getting record enrollment. I turned in my stuff on Oct. 10th and just finalized everything a few days ago. Keep checking the financial aid tab in your portal for any new requirements.
  • Options
    All, I'll be taking an ITILv3 course this week. I hope the experience will help me in refreshing my memory on project management (since I took Project+ back in 2010) and will assist me later on when I eventually do the technical writing and capstone.

And since I don't start until January, I hope to knock out the orientation and maybe get the CCIP cert in the mean time.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I got my diploma, if anyone wants to see what they look like:

OMfjz.png
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    nice....
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Congrats Sheckler. Hope it opens doors for you.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did my intake interview this morning, waiting for my transcript evaluation and clearance to take EWB. Exciting! Congrats sheckler! That's awesome!
  • Options
    Nice diploma, something to look forward to.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Nice diploma, something to look forward to.

Agreed. Only another year and a few months. :)
  • Options
    Talk to my enrollment advisor. He is going to schedule my intake exam for Friday and thinks my transfer evaluation is going to be complete within the next day or so.

Question: I was looking at the google doc on page 82 in the ask question thread and it seems like WGU changed around their graduation requirements. Anyone know what those changes are?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Financial aid can take some time, as they are getting record enrollment. I turned in my stuff on Oct. 10th and just finalized everything a few days ago. Keep checking the financial aid tab in your portal for any new requirements.

Pray to whatever higher power you don't get snagged on "verification." It will pretty much be another layer of crap you must go through (copy of your tax return and filling out the verification worksheet.)

Financial aid will be fine though. Believe me, that is one department that is on top of their game. (They pretty much have to.)
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    Talk to my enrollment advisor. He is going to schedule my intake exam for Friday and thinks my transfer evaluation is going to be complete within the next day or so.

Question: I was looking at the google doc on page 82 in the ask question thread and it seems like WGU changed around their graduation requirements. Anyone know what those changes are?
    They changed a lot of stuff. Different classes, EWB is no longer a credit class.. Check the PDF's on wgu.edu for the new classes. I need to finish the spreadsheets but between full time work, full time WGU student, wife and kids....
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey all,

Anyone out there in the MBA IT Management program?

Im thinking I want to enter the program at the beginning of the new year but Id like to talk to someone about it first. Pick your brain about task assignments/etc.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Have my mentor call tonight, I am definitely going to ask about the changes. I am thinking I will stick with my program as is and not make any changes.
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Pray to whatever higher power you don't get snagged on "verification." It will pretty much be another layer of crap you must go through (copy of your tax return and filling out the verification worksheet.)

Financial aid will be fine though. Believe me, that is one department that is on top of their game. (They pretty much have to.)

Too late...just got done with verification. I have been hit with that every time I've applied for FA. I had all my documents scanned and ready, just in case. I have been extremely impressed with the FA department. Never had to wait for more than 5 minutes for any calls.
  • Options
    Too late...just got done with verification. I have been hit with that every time I've applied for FA. I had all my documents scanned and ready, just in case. I have been extremely impressed with the FA department. Never had to wait for more than 5 minutes for any calls.

First time it happened to me was this year. I got cute and wanted to file my fafsa before I filed my taxes.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Turned in my capstone. Now the waiting begins.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    I was awarded my federal loans. How are you guys doing as far as book and other study material cost? I don't want to take the whole loan if I don't need it but if I burn through some of the classes as fast as I would like to, it would probably be a good idea to take a little extra to help with the book costs. I havn't accepted it yet, but I will tonight.
  • Options
    I was awarded my federal loans. How are you guys doing as far as book and other study material cost? I don't want to take the whole loan if I don't need it but if I burn through some of the classes as fast as I would like to, it would probably be a good idea to take a little extra to help with the book costs. I havn't accepted it yet, but I will tonight.

In my experience, take as little as you would possibly need. Maybe a little less. A lot of the books are free as e-books, I would talk with your metor about the specific classes you are planning to take this term and see what the books are going to cost for those classes.

If I was getting loans, I would only get the amount of the tuition that I couldn't afford.
  • Options
    Just finished up Orientation this afternoon. Not bad, lots of good information there. Looking forward to getting started in 2 weeks!
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been sidetracked for a while due to some life challenges, but I'm motivated to finish what I started and enroll at WGU to get my B.S.I.T. in I.S. erpadmin, congrats on almost being done. Last time I talked to you on the phone, you had quite a few courses left.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    In my experience, take as little as you would possibly need. Maybe a little less. A lot of the books are free as e-books, I would talk with your metor about the specific classes you are planning to take this term and see what the books are going to cost for those classes.

If I was getting loans, I would only get the amount of the tuition that I couldn't afford.

Thanks, my girlfriend was thinking the same thing. I took what I needed for tuition only.
  • Options
    Started the EWB, got through most of it but they haven't added any of the communities for me yet. Waiting on that.
  • Options
    Started the EWB, got through most of it but they haven't added any of the communities for me yet. Waiting on that.

You should be able to access the communities. I've been having an issue where I will be "unauthorized" to access the communities and they will fix it and it happens again. They can fix it over the phone. I was able to finish up EWB today, but it took longer due to the communities being unavailable.
  • Options
    I can't do the orientation yet because they haven't cleared me for it, so says my enrollment councilor. I also haven't heard anything about a mentor except for what I have read on here. I am waiting on fin aid verification. I called them and they said that I was cleared to start even though they don't have my aid worked out yet. She also said that it was my option to delay my start until they have the aid package finished. I find that to be kinda odd. So I guess that she is saying that I can start but I may have to pay out of pocket. I started applying back in August. So far my experience has been less than expected.
  • Options
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    I've been sidetracked for a while due to some life challenges, but I'm motivated to finish what I started and enroll at WGU to get my B.S.I.T. in I.S. erpadmin, congrats on almost being done. Last time I talked to you on the phone, you had quite a few courses left.

It's all about finding your rhythm, man. That whole list of classes certainly looked daunting and I had to contend with work and life. I myself considered taking a term break or something, but I refused to do so. Reading BOTH of these long threads convinced me that no matter what happened to me after I started, I would stay the course and do thirty CUs a semester (plus or minus a few.) I was also tempted to be the hero and kill all the CUs in my term in one or two terms, but I'm no John McClane.

One thing I can advise is to have a plan to finish your program and make sure your mentor is onboard with it. It is ultimately up to you, not them to make sure you finish. If your mentor isn't willing to work with you, get another one that will.
  • Options
    Looks like they opened up the communities for me, hopefully I can get this finished up tonight. :D
  • Options
    I can't do the orientation yet because they haven't cleared me for it, so says my enrollment councilor. I also haven't heard anything about a mentor except for what I have read on here. I am waiting on fin aid verification. I called them and they said that I was cleared to start even though they don't have my aid worked out yet. She also said that it was my option to delay my start until they have the aid package finished. I find that to be kinda odd. So I guess that she is saying that I can start but I may have to pay out of pocket. I started applying back in August. So far my experience has been less than expected.

This is normal. Financial Aid students do not have to worry about paying WGU out of pocket. (I'm "leveraging" loans myself...part of my tax strategy among other things.)

One thing you must do is JUMP when you get any communication from Financial Aid. Any delay will cause you delay.

You will be ok though...just make sure you are in good communication with them.