Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Try not to put yourself in any unnecessary debt unless you absolutely have to. Eat like your a broke bastard. I still do that after I found a job.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got my official email, that I'm done with ORA1 (formerly EWB). Just have to wait until I can meet with mentor to get my AAV setup. So far, the process has been almost painless, the only issue is I keep losing access to the communities.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Passed three of my classes this week. Just finish my exam online and just have certification class left for this semester which ends at end of Dec. 31 and then six more classes until I graduate. I can not believe I am so close :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Hi all, I've been in the BSIT-DB program since July but I just found these forums recently. I had a BA from back in the day, so that covered all of my non-IT courses. I've taken TTV1, WFV1, AXV1, and ORC1 (and EWB2). I'm currently studying for several courses to take when my new term starts in January: WSV1, TSV1, and WDV1. I have a total of 13 classes left to take, and I'm conservatively planning to be done in three more terms at 23 avg units a term. However, I'd love to knock them out in two more terms at 34.5 avg units a term. That would be tough though.

I also had a similar experience to some on here... my mentor is pretty cool but the enrollment adviser guy was a dork.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had a BA from back in the day, so that covered all of my non-IT courses. I've taken TTV1, WFV1, AXV1, and ORC1 (and EWB2). I'm currently studying for several courses to take when my new term starts in January: WSV1, TSV1, and WDV1. I have a total of 13 classes left to take, and I'm conservatively planning to be done in three more terms at 23 avg units a term. However, I'd love to knock them out in two more terms at 34.5 avg units a term. That would be tough though.

If you don't mind me asking, what BA did you have? I have a communications BA and am currently waiting the results of a transfer evaluation. I just want focus on my major requirements (which would be very little).

I'm planning on knocking out my MCTIP SA in the next monday, wish me luck on the 70-646. If I complete that, the only certification requirement I should have remainining is the Java Fundamentals. My goal is to reduce my completion requirements to just a few CUs so I can complete my BS in one term.

My intake interview is scheduled for today.
  • Options
    My BA is in History. WGU's policy is to waive all of the non-major courses such as communications, math and science, etc. for students who already have a Bachelor's degree. I transferred in 35 units, but that covered both the Foundations and Liberal Arts domains for my degree. Each course in those domains average around 2 units, but they would be time-consuming. This way I can focus on what I want to learn at WGU instead of re-taking classes I've already completed previously. :) Good luck.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bottom line: anyone with a legitimate Bachelor's should not have to do any liberal arts courses, regardless of where one obtained the bachelor's. Even if you wanted to do a CS degree that involved Calculus, Calculus is part of the CS program (usually) and your College Algebra or even Pre-Calculus won't waive that requirement.

My mentor confirmed with me that this whole taking geography thing seems to be more regional than anything else. In NJ, "geography" would be "history" and even with that, you have the option of taking US History I/II or Western Civ I/II (I took the latter...though the former would have been fine with me.)

Also, he's not sure yet, but WGU is leaning on having all students take those Microsoft Technology Associate classes (even if you already have an MCITP:SA/EA). This doesn't matter to me, but for those starting 12/1, you should know that going in.

Finally, I'll be going for round 2 for BHV1 (643) sometime next week. The earliest is Monday the latest Wednesday. Then I'll be living in 647. I'm on vacation until after the Thanksgiving Holiday (including that Friday.) God willing, I should be ok.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Finally, I'll be going for round 2 for BHV1 (643) sometime next week. The earliest is Monday the latest Wednesday. Then I'll be living in 647. I'm on vacation until after the Thanksgiving Holiday (including that Friday.) God willing, I should be ok.

Best of luck, man. I'm sure you'll knock them out. Enjoy the holidays.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Best of luck, man. I'm sure you'll knock them out. Enjoy the holidays.
    I'll second that one as well. I know you can do the work, these tests just kinda tricky it seems.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options

Bring back that that pass!
  • Options
    Bottom line: anyone with a legitimate Bachelor's should not have to do any liberal arts courses, regardless of where one obtained the bachelor's. Even if you wanted to do a CS degree that involved Calculus, Calculus is part of the CS program (usually) and your College Algebra or even Pre-Calculus won't waive that requirement. My mentor confirmed with me that this whole taking geography thing seems to be more regional than anything else. In NJ, "geography" would be "history" and even with that, you have the option of taking US History I/II or Western Civ I/II (I took the latter...though the former would have been fine with me.) Also, he's not sure yet, but WGU is leaning on having all students take those Microsoft Technology Associate classes (even if you already have an MCITP:SA/EA). This doesn't matter to me, but for those starting 12/1, you should know that going in. Finally, I'll be going for round 2 for BHV1 (643) sometime next week. The earliest is Monday the latest Wednesday. Then I'll be living in 647. I'm on vacation until after the Thanksgiving Holiday (including that Friday.) God willing, I should be ok.
    I wish you were my enrollment counselor. I hope the transcript department sees it your way when they complete my evaluation, as I have numerous certs, an AA and BA, which should knock out the lower-level courses. But as I've learned at my time with University of Maryland University College, there are "requirements" that can't be waived since there are regional/school pressures influencing transfers. The last class I had to take for my bachelors was biology, as the previous science class I completed for my AA wasn't sufficient. I was supposed to have my intake interview today, but my enrollment counselor is still waiting for my transfer evaluation. Also, he couldn't tell me what the "new" requirements for the Network Admin B.S. are. He also advised me against taking my remaining Microsoft tests in the time between now and January. But I told him what would be different about taking the exams now or later, since in the end, I'd have to send a Microsoft Transcript to verify if I passed. Good luck on your exam, Erpadmin.
  • Options
    I wish you were my enrollment counselor. I hope the transcript department sees it your way when they complete my evaluation, as I have numerous certs, an AA and BA, which should knock out the lower-level courses. But as I've learned at my time with University of Maryland University College, there are "requirements" that can't be waived since there are regional/school pressures influencing transfers. The last class I had to take for my bachelors was biology, as the previous science class I completed for my AA wasn't sufficient. I was supposed to have my intake interview today, but my enrollment counselor is still waiting for my transfer evaluation. Also, he couldn't tell me what the "new" requirements for the Network Admin B.S. are. He also advised me against taking my remaining Microsoft tests in the time between now and January. But I told him what would be different about taking the exams now or later, since in the end, I'd have to send a Microsoft Transcript to verify if I passed. Good luck on your exam, Erpadmin.

If you took biology with a lab, then you should be ok with not taking INT1/INC1. At the one B&M 4 year school I went to that I took seriously (the bulk of my transferable credits, but had to drop out cause it got expensive and I fell back into my partying ways) I took a general chemistry course (the only one of the sciences I liked because it wasn't that math intensive, compared to physics and biology I wanted no part of because I can't stand the smell of formaldehyde) that wasn't a lab. I was allowed to take it because it was geared toward non-science majors. I did the same thing with math.)

Listen, I know you've done this, but take a look at your transcripts and compare them what the requirements are. You will find that you probably have all of the general eds knocked out anyway. The new requirements for Network Admin are right here:

http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/BS_IT_NETW.pdf

Your transcript evaluation is not a final...you can appeal with something if you don't agree with it. In my case, I didn't bother. I had taken an English Compostion course that was three credits (got a B+ in it...the only class I did well at) but I didn't bother transferring because I pretty much failed most of my courses. I figured I'll just do it again and call it a day.

Don't sweat it man, you're gonna be ok. Waiting until January is probably a good idea anyway for your MS certs. You will be on WGU's dime at that point anyway.
  • Options
    I already scheduled the 646 exam for Monday. I rather have it knocked out while I have the time to spare. I'm familiar with Server versus Javascript. And it looks like they've added quite a bit (the additional CCNA class, the Microsoft Web Developer Exam, CIW Designer, OS Fundamentals, Microsoft Network Fundamentals, Microsoft Security Fundamentals. Some of these seem redundant. I think better choices would've probably been VCP, something on SANs/Storage, Network Design, etc.
  • Options
    spiderjericho, since you have a BA then you're covered for all of the non-IT classes that are not part of your major. You still may have to take Org Behavior and Leadership and Principles of Management unless you already took those specific courses at another school. Everyone has to take technical writing as well. The five new MTA exams should be easy for you if you have previous Microsoft and CompTia certs since they're kinda like Intro to Microsoft IT for Dummies.
  • Options
    Got a 4/4 on my Capstone. I'm officially DONE! I also start new job on 11/28. Best Thanksgiving ever.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    drew726 wrote: »
    Got a 4/4 on my Capstone. I'm officially DONE! I also start new job on 11/28. Best Thanksgiving ever.

Like a boss! Nice job on the capstone and congrats on the graduation. Also congrats on the new job! icon_cheers.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options

Very nice! Good Christmas present for yourself.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□

Great job, man. Enjoy the holiday, you earned it!
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm actually planning to take my Readiness Assessment tomorrow as part of my enrollment. Any advice from those who have taken it?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    I never would have even heard about this school without this forum. Plus with all the stupid job questions I post, this forum literally changed my life.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    I'm actually planning to take my Readiness Assessment tomorrow as part of my enrollment. Any advice from those who have taken it?

It's really easy. There's some high school algebra here and there but if you ever took any college GE classes at all, I don't think you'll have any problem.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

Find a nice quiet spot to work on it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options

Took mine last month. Basic math - up to algebra. Write an essay. Reading comprehension / grammar exam. An online learning self-assessment. Make sure you have a quiet place and a couple of hours, so you are not rushed. You get results soon, too.
  • Options

Congrats!! Very nicely done, brother!!
  • Options
    Congrats!! Very nicely done, brother!!

Thanks man. I'm kinda glad I took this NOC job early this year instead of the desktop support job that paid more because of all the time I got to study. Probably wouldn't have done half as much while doing desktop support.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone got any experiences with LAT1, CLC1, WSV1, INC1, or INT1? Looking for some info on these classes.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    dt3k wrote: »
    Anyone got any experiences with LAT1, CLC1, WSV1, INC1, or INT1? Looking for some info on these classes.

I know I've seen some posts on these. Did you run a search?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »

I know I've written some posts on these. He can start with around 08/01/2010 on this thread.

(WSV1, and INC1 are ones I haven't taken, but I know others have written posts about them.)
  • Options
    dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »

The search feature isn't very useful whenever the thread is 143 pages long.
  • Options
    Took the M$ 70-646 exam and passed. Without breaking NDA, their exams are probably my least favorite to take out of all the vendors (even more so than Cisco). Do we really need to get 50 to 60 question with paragraphs of exposition? I don't mind scenario-based exams, but man talk about over kill. You get bored halfway through. Out of the big three Comptia, M$ and Cisco, I'd say Comptia has the fairest and realistic exams. Well, I still haven't gotten word on my transfer evaluation. It's kind of irritating me, but it's okay since I don't plan on starting until January. I'm going to try to knock out the Windows 7 exam. I tried to look up study materials for those M$ fundamental exams, but there aren't any. I'm wondering what WGU will use as study materials.