Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've had some personal setbacks in the last few weeks, but I finally got my transfer evaluation completed. It was a 10-page PDF. I was able to get a lot of college credits and certifications to transfer in (I should mention I have a BA, AA and numerous certifications). The way it's looking I'll need to take the following classes: Web Development Fundamentals Web Technologies Web Programming Organizational Behavior and Leadership Principles of Management Technical Writing Capstone The evaluation didn't mention the Principles of Management and Technologies. I hope to complete my degree in one term, so I can pursue the new Master's degree they're going to introduce. I wanted to start in January, but with an upcoming surgery and my daughter's recent medical issues, it would probably be in my best interest to start in February. I am a bit worried about the web classes, since I don't have any web programming or web site building experience.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've had some personal setbacks in the last few weeks, but I finally got my transfer evaluation completed. It was a 10-page PDF. I was able to get a lot of college credits and certifications to transfer in (I should mention I have a BA, AA and numerous certifications). The way it's looking I'll need to take the following classes: Web Development Fundamentals Web Technologies Web Programming Organizational Behavior and Leadership Principles of Management Technical Writing Capstone The evaluation didn't mention the Principles of Management and Technologies. I hope to complete my degree in one term, so I can pursue the new Master's degree they're going to introduce. I wanted to start in January, but with an upcoming surgery and my daughter's recent medical issues, it would probably be in my best interest to start in February. I am a bit worried about the web classes, since I don't have any web programming or web site building experience.

I would start the program in February or March. You can spend the time boning up on the web stuff and then by the time you start, you could knock out a good deal of the web courses. There are a lot of resources you can use like W3Schools Online Web Tutorials (helped me huge for the HTML/CSS stuff and it's free. :) ) I wouldn't sweat the web stuff too much; you don't need to be an expert web developer to pass CIW courses or the Microsoft MTA stuff.

My prayers for your surgery and daughter; I definitely know your pain.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    . I am a bit worried about the web classes, since I don't have any web programming or web site building experience.

Get yourself a brief HTML book, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sams-Teach-Yourself-HTML-Minutes/dp/0672317214/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1323920418&sr=8-6

and a Javascript book, like this:

Amazon.com: Internet Programming with VBScript and JavaScript (Web Warrior Series) (9780619015237): Kate Kalata: Books

Yeah, these two I listed are both a bit old, but I used them and did just fine. Point is, get two books on these subjects and work through any exercises before you start WGU. I had about a month's lag time before WGU and used it to study Javascript. I didn't actually work through that course until a couple months later, but doing all this cut the remaining study time to about three weeks. You could also buy uCertify now and use that to prep while you're waiting.

There are other books you could hunt down for prep as well: used CIW texts (even the old versions would get you familiar with the material, and the time saved might be worth the pennies), used PMP and/or Project+ books (I used a cheap PMP book from eBay for most of my Project+ studies). You could get a cheap Organizational Behavior book used (previous edition) and use it to get ready for that course (the publisher has practice exams on their website!).

Any time you spend ahead of your start date will be time you save later and might even directly/indirectly help you avoid a crunch at the end of a term.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Finally out of financial aid verification after 45 days and I did get the Go Further scholarship. Still not packaged, but it looks good for me to start in Jan. I was planning on studying up for the CCNA this month but my job just tasked me with inventorying and entering all of our assets in to a new asset management system. I really hope i'm done by the end of the year but I'm already exhausted.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm supposed to speak to my enrollment counselor in a few minutes.
    I'll take your advice Erp and tell him I want to start in March. It'll give me time to read up on the topics, knock out physical therapy, etc.

I have the Sybex Project+ book. I'm not really worried about the technical writing class. I took one at UMUC. And organizational behavior and the other class shouldn't be too bad.
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    INT1 Task 3 submitted yesterday so waiting on final word to see if I finished that course. Also turned in LAT1 Task 1 just now as well...that course is going to be the death of me. So much busy work when all it leads up to is a final essay that could be done from the start. Oh well, hoping to get this knocked out before Christmas and then I can work on the presentation portion before New Years.

Edit: They do work fast for the LAT1 material, sheesh. Already got notification back that Task 1 passed evaluation.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    INT1 Task 3 submitted yesterday so waiting on final word to see if I finished that course. Also turned in LAT1 Task 1 just now as well...that course is going to be the death of me. So much busy work when all it leads up to is a final essay that could be done from the start. Oh well, hoping to get this knocked out before Christmas and then I can work on the presentation portion before New Years.

Edit: They do work fast for the LAT1 material, sheesh. Already got notification back that Task 1 passed evaluation.

I keep telling you that you worry about nothing. You're gonna finish this up way ahead of me, may need your help on some of the math lol.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    You're gonna finish this up way ahead of me, may need your help on some of the math lol.

(In that Aflac--Gilbert Godfried voice....)

MATHLAB!
    MATHLAB!!!!!!
    MAAAAATTTTTHLABBBBBBBB!!!!

Spend time there like you would spend time in a router!! You'll be amazed at how well you do.

Also, listen to those Aaron MacDonald videos. Word of advice though, ignore whatever you might be thinking when you listen to him...what he says is what's important and helped me remember all that stuff.
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Ok, so I've been at my new job for three months now. I found out today that I have to use up all of my vacation time before the end of the year or else I lose it... So since I have three days worth of vacation, I asked my boss if I can take the last three days of December off. "Sure, no problem" he says. So, my new term starts Jan 1 and I am getting pretty close to being ready for 18 hours worth of CUs (Web Tech, Database I, and Security+). Now I get three extra days to study just before my term begins. With hard work, I should be able to take those exams immediately.

Vacation study time FTW!
  • Options
    Well....I know Darril Gibson's book got me a sweet 870 on the Security+ exam (as well as other sources...but his book was all I needed when I got to take that exam.) I know you'll be taking the 301 and he has the 301 guide available now. If you go to through that book and get 80-90% of the questions he poses right, you're ready for that exam. You should be fine for that exam if you use Darril Gibson.

BTW, Vacation study time got used for LAT1....what you will know as QXB1 or whatever it's called....I like that it's 3 CUs now......LAT1 was the hardest (not because of difficulty.....but just the work you had to put in) GE course and was worth only 2 CUs.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DG's 301 book has a seperate book of just practice questions (it's now a 2 book set) and he's added a lot of stuff. Looks like he listened to some of the comments about not having enough crypto so he seemed to have more stuff in this book than the previous book.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    (In that Aflac--Gilbert Godfried voice....)

MATHLAB!
    MATHLAB!!!!!!
    MAAAAATTTTTHLABBBBBBBB!!!!

LMAO! That's great....

By the way did my intake interview today while going through the drive-thru of In-and-Out burger, and on the rainy, treacherous drive home in traffic...lol. I officially start Jan. 3rd.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    So I got my degree plan yesterday.

According to it, I have eight classes to complete to get my B.S. However upon inspection, I noticed QLT1 Quantitative Literacy: Quantitative Problem Solving and Applications on the plan. And then I looked back at the transfer evaluation and saw it was requirement satisfied by my degree. I wrote back the person who created and told them to remove the class and select one of the other classes I have left for my first term.

I can understand how they came up with the plan; give the student four classes per term, but I'd rather less work and maybe dole out a little more money to complete my degree. Of course, my plan is to complete it in one term. Capstone and Technical Writing sort of overlap. And if I can get some web and java programming studying done before then, I should probably be able to knock out the three web-related classes I need to take in a month leaving five to complete Principles of Management, Organizational Behavior, Technical Writing and Capstone.
  • Options
    So I got my degree plan yesterday.

According to it, I have eight classes to complete to get my B.S. However upon inspection, I noticed QLT1 Quantitative Literacy: Quantitative Problem Solving and Applications on the plan. And then I looked back at the transfer evaluation and saw it was requirement satisfied by my degree. I wrote back the person who created and told them to remove the class and select one of the other classes I have left for my first term.

I can understand how they came up with the plan; give the student four classes per term, but I'd rather less work and maybe dole out a little more money to complete my degree. Of course, my plan is to complete it in one term. Capstone and Technical Writing sort of overlap. And if I can get some web and java programming studying done before then, I should probably be able to knock out the three web-related classes I need to take in a month leaving five to complete Principles of Management, Organizational Behavior, Technical Writing and Capstone.

Good luck. If you're one of the rare few who manage that in one term, you'll have REALLY earned it. :)

My advice: After you work out the transfer issues. . .Do what they ask first, then pile on the extras. Don't expect them to schedule all the classes in the first term up front as they'll want you to demonstrate that you can handle the work before they let you fly through faster. Develop a good relationship with your mentor and be prepared to call him/her frequently if you're going to move that quickly.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Good luck. If you're one of the rare few who manage that in one term, you'll have REALLY earned it. :)

My advice: After you work out the transfer issues. . .Do what they ask first, then pile on the extras. Don't expect them to schedule all the classes in the first term up front as they'll want you to demonstrate that you can handle the work before they let you fly through faster. Develop a good relationship with your mentor and be prepared to call him/her frequently if you're going to move that quickly.

I just spoke to the person who created my degree plan, and she says she will adjust my degree plan. So, I have six months to complete seven classes.

However, I won't be starting until February or March because of my and my daughter's medical issues.

I will complete the required classes first. I think the classes that will take the most time will be the Principles of Management and Organizational Behavior.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a way to get an extension on a term to complete a class?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i did orc1 in 3 hours ... total .... i kid you not 30 for the pretest then an hour for the test and about 1 hr going over a few things i missed on the pretest

and mcg1 was about the same
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    i did orc1 in 3 hours ... total .... i kid you not 30 for the pretest then an hour for the test and about 1 hr going over a few things i missed on the pretest

and mcg1 was about the same
    They're that easy? Holy crap. That sounds like a weekend.

So Technical Writing and Capstone are the time consumers?

I guess my biggest concern is the web stuff.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    earweed wrote: »
    DG's 301 book has a seperate book of just practice questions (it's now a 2 book set) and he's added a lot of stuff. Looks like he listened to some of the comments about not having enough crypto so he seemed to have more stuff in this book than the previous book.

This is very good to hear. I used his 201 book and while it was totally sufficient to pass the exam, it left me a little short understanding some of the topics, which I had to go out an study other sources for. Crypto was proabably the most lacking in that book.
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Have a question for anyone who completed LAT1 already. For Task 3 when you're completing the outline, is there a set number of details they're looking for/requiring for each point of the thesis statement? I'm assuming they're looking for ALL of the information you're going to use from your sources for the paper, but when I end up writing I usually only end up actually "preparing" about half of the total information I use and then as I piece it together in writing the rest just sort of fills in.

I just don't want to end up not stating everything in the outline and then during the final two tasks have them come back and ding me for using more information than what was shown in the 3rd task.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    They're that easy? Holy crap. That sounds like a weekend.

So Technical Writing and Capstone are the time consumers?

I guess my biggest concern is the web stuff.

I had taken a management CLEP for a prior degree program, so MGC1 was a review. I used this book:
    Amazon.com: Review for the CLEP Principles of Management (9781560301455): Donald E., Ph.D. Hovey: Books

It's a short read. It will not cover everything the WGU course covers, but I think it should still be enough for most folks. I skimmed over it the weekend prior to reading the test and passed.

ORC1. . . I took about 2-3 weeks to read an older/skinnier version of the text, took the chapter tests on the publisher's website and passed.
    http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Organizational-Behavior-Stephen-Robbins/dp/0131445715/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324142046&sr=1-12
    This does not cover all the same material WGU's course does, but should get you the basics.

Yes, the Technical Writing and Capstone will take more time. Technical Writing is a slight misnomer-- it is really a Capstone Proposal Preparation course. Basically, you write the same paper twice--- once to propose a project, the other to detail what you did on the project. So you have basically three gobs of work: paper, project, paper. Some people can whiz through these in a matter of hours. It depends largely on what your project is and how comfortable you are writing papers. If you do any other courses requiring papers earlier such as LET1, the paperwork will be easier. It also helps a little to have your Project+ done before you tackle your capstone stuff, but it is not necessary.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    Transcript review came in email the other night for my February start: all lower division classes plus AXV1, CPV1 and CWV1 are transferred in. Now just to spend the break between this semester and the beginning of February boning up on my programming side as has been suggested by others and catching up on a few other projects I've been meaning to get to.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got my welcome yesterday. Nice mug, notebook, pen, photo frame, and a card for a free T-shirt. My brain hurts from trying to wrap itself around RMS and Federation Services, hoping to take the exam around end of month.
  • Options
    ogrimmmogrimmm Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to wish all the WGU people a Merry Christmas. I started back in Oct. and this forum played a huge part in my decision to attend WGU. I'm hoping to knock out LET1 over the break and taking the Network+ cert. in mid January. Now if I can only find an entry level job in the IT field.
    Enrolled @ WGU in BS IT: Network Administration 10/2011
    Courses Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, LAT1, AXV1, TTV1, INC1, INT1, SST1, SSC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, ITW1, CLC1
    Courses Completed: EWB2, WFV1, TNV1, TSV1, TPV1
    Courses Left: BOV1, LET1, ORC1, BRV1, MGC1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, TWA1, CPW2
  • Options
    ogrimmm wrote: »
    Just wanted to wish all the WGU people a Merry Christmas. I started back in Oct. and this forum played a huge part in my decision to attend WGU. I'm hoping to knock out LET1 over the break and taking the Network+ cert. in mid January. Now if I can only find an entry level job in the IT field.

Entry level job in the IT field......

Why in His good name would you go with the Network Design and Management emphasis when you have no prior experience in IT?

Best of luck to you, brother. Those MS exams are no joke...even for folks with experience. I'm not trying to sound mean or anything like that (believe me...) I'm just concerned that maybe you might have wanted to do the regular IT degree or something.
  • Options
    ogrimmmogrimmm Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do have prior experience in IT, but I've been in a non-IT role since 03. Now I'm trying to get back into it.
    Enrolled @ WGU in BS IT: Network Administration 10/2011
    Courses Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, LAT1, AXV1, TTV1, INC1, INT1, SST1, SSC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, ITW1, CLC1
    Courses Completed: EWB2, WFV1, TNV1, TSV1, TPV1
    Courses Left: BOV1, LET1, ORC1, BRV1, MGC1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, TWA1, CPW2
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im switching to the normal degree from the network ones

you end up paying alot of cash to do the ms classes at wgu your better off getting a degree and ms certs after
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    ogrimmm wrote: »
    I do have prior experience in IT, but I've been in a non-IT role since 03. Now I'm trying to get back into it.

So you remember NT and 2000.....good deal. Alot of those NTFS permissions, security groups, etc. from back then will certainly help for the 640. (You'd be amazed at how stuff comes back to you after you haven't used it for awhile...)

As I said, the best of luck to you.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I must say that I have been pretty disappointed with WGU lately. My mentor, who was great, left and took another position in the school and now I have a new mentor. I haven't heard a word from him yet in 3 weeks. I'm trying to change my emphasis since I can't seem to pass AIV1. I was supposed to be working with the course mentor for that class and I got "forgot" about 3 different times. I talked to his boss and he basically told me that it should be my responisbility to track him down. icon_rolleyes.gif

Not that I still wouldn't recommend WGU it just seems that they have gotten so big that they don't have the staff to keep up.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well after doing some careful calculation in my head and provided everything works out, i'll hit 26 CU this term. Which will leave 36 for my final term, 13 of which taken up by Tech/Capstone. Looks like my goal is in sight and i'm moving along at just about the right pace. Now, provided no more horrible hiccups, we'll be good.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Now, provided no more horrible hiccups, we'll be good.

Only you can be your own "horrible hiccup." As someone who went through a real emergency in my first term, I made the decision to stay the course. If you look for a problem, 9 times out of 10 you will have one. (Not to say it won't come anyway...but you can't dwell on waiting for a problem either. :) )

I'm just saying is keep going, brother. I never thought this day would come for me either.