Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    My term is up April 30th. Definitely feeling good about getting everything done in time.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My term is up April 30th. Definitely feeling good about getting everything done in time.

Get back to work!!!!

No seriously, if you can knock out both IW(X)1 classes in a couple of weeks (I wish I could personally help you with that, but from looking at the CoS they look easy as heck [for me]) and then focus on the programming classes, you'll have time to knock out both TWA1 and CPW1. If you do it soon enough, you might be able to get a prorated tuition.

Don't slack off, man! Get that s--t done!!
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Get back to work!!!!

No seriously, if you can knock out both IW(X)1 classes in a couple of weeks (I wish I could personally help you with that, but from looking at the CoS they look easy as heck [for me]) and then focus on the programming classes, you'll have time to knock out both TWA1 and CPW1. If you do it soon enough, you might be able to get a prorated tuition.

Don't slack off, man! Get that s--t done!!

Aye aye, Captain!
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Passed the 640 with 775 today! Some of the questions were extremely detailed, had to read through them several times to make sure I was seeing it right. Next up is do the humanities, then onto 642.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Aye, aye Captain!

Engage.

(had to say it)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Engage.

(had to say it)

"Make it so" would have also been acceptable.
  • Options
    "Make it so" would have also been acceptable.

Thought of that AFTER typing in the other. I figured you'd be the first to point it out.

"Captain, they've adapted!"
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Modulate shield frequencies!"
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have an opinion as to the quality of the text provided for TPV1 (Project+)? I'm finding the material rather dry and difficult to get through. So much business speak. >.<
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Does anyone have an opinion as to the quality of the text provided for TPV1 (Project+)? I'm finding the material rather dry and difficult to get through. So much business speak. >.<

Well, the material does cover the objectives sufficiently to pass, but it is defnitely boring. I don't think there is a good way of making project management sexy, especially if you're more into the technical side of things. I think most of us just grind it out and try to get through it as best we can. Having been involved with projects quite a bit at work, a lot of it was familiar to me, so it didn't take too long, but if you're new to it I can defnitely see that it would take some time. Just stick with it and you'll be fine. :)

Also, there are some books on books24x7 you can check out that might help. Good luck.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Well I just signed up for the Network Design/Mgmt degree. I need to get my EA certs and once I figured it out, it was cheaper to go through WGU for it. I'll get the tuition paid via pell grant so it will cost me nothing, plus I get to differ my $200/month student loan payment another year. I don't really plan on going through with everything to graduate with another degree. Figure I have 4 tests left to take to get the EA, if I paid out of pocket it would be $600 and that is if I pass the first time. Then may be the time I'm done with that the new masters will be open so I'll just jump into that.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Are you sure pell grants are available to people who already have a degree? I thought they weren't.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Well I just signed up for the Network Design/Mgmt degree. I need to get my EA certs and once I figured it out, it was cheaper to go through WGU for it. I'll get the tuition paid via pell grant so it will cost me nothing, plus I get to differ my $200/month student loan payment another year. I don't really plan on going through with everything to graduate with another degree. Figure I have 4 tests left to take to get the EA, if I paid out of pocket it would be $600 and that is if I pass the first time. Then may be the time I'm done with that the new masters will be open so I'll just jump into that.

I didn't think they would let you come back for a second bachelors? Did they change the policy?
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    I didn't think they would let you come back for a second bachelors? Did they change the policy?

I've got a bachelors AND a masters and I'm set up for a February start for another bachelors. Having one already does affect financial aid, but doesn't restrict you from another degree.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    I've got a bachelors AND a masters and I'm set up for a February start for another bachelors. Having one already does affect financial aid, but doesn't restrict you from another degree.

As best as I can recall, WGU policy states that you are allowed to go for a second bachelors, as long as you have 24 CUs in your second program. You are not allowed to "double major" at WGU, however. (e.g. you couldn't go for a IT degree and Teaching degree at the same time.)

As the others have said though, financial aid is definitely another matter.
  • Options
    As best as I can recall, WGU policy states that you are allowed to go for a second bachelors, as long as you have 24 CUs in your second program. You are not allowed to "double major" at WGU, however. (e.g. you couldn't go for a IT degree and Teaching degree at the same time.)

As the others have said though, financial aid is definitely another matter.

I see. I was thinking about the double major.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I have heard, you cannot double major, but you can get another degree AFTER you complete one.

EDIT: Woops, didn't see that ERP had already posted this.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    Regardless, I'm pretty sure you can't use Pell if you already have a degree. If you can get it go for it.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PellGrants.jsp?tab=funding
    WGU grad
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Regardless, I'm pretty sure you can't use Pell if you already have a degree. If you can get it go for it.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PellGrants.jsp?tab=funding

This is true. I'm still in the enrollment process at WGU (still need Degree plan and Intake interview). When I applied for financial aid, I was declined for that specific reason.

The best advice I can give is try scholarships, work compensation, low-interest loans, etc.
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone out there go through WGU's MBA IT Management Program?

Im thinking of starting in February (long-shot) or March (more-likely) and would love to talk to someone who's been through it to know what to expect.

Thanks!
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    apr911 wrote: »
    Anyone out there go through WGU's MBA IT Management Program?

Im thinking of starting in February (long-shot) or March (more-likely) and would love to talk to someone who's been through it to know what to expect.

Thanks!

Thought I posted somewhere about this. . . but what I've read is, someone was halfway through at five months, but they were killing themselves to move at that pace. It looks to me like all of WGU's master's programs are designed to take 1.5-2 years.

It's been a long while since I've seen any negative comments about their MBA programs. Lots of writing, and most folks say they can put the knowledge to use right away.

Last time I looked at the program guidebook was a couple months ago-- they were not using a lot of formal textbooks, and that annoyed me but you can find college texts cheap to supplement those (I'm sure such texts would be handy for APA-compliant papers. . .).
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    The WGU alumni Linkedin group has a good amount of WGU-MBA alumni. I think I posted a link to them too sometime back.
  • Options
    PurpleITGyrlPurpleITGyrl Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I love WGU but I'm about ready to break out in tears over this crazy 70-640 exam. The first time I failed it by like 10 points...this time almost 100 (but...alot of crap going on in my world so I'm chalking that one up to stress) I've got to get this exam completed. I'm such a horrible test taker! Guess I better get over it.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I love WGU but I'm about ready to break out in tears over this crazy 70-640 exam. The first time I failed it by like 10 points...this time almost 100 (but...alot of crap going on in my world so I'm chalking that one up to stress) I've got to get this exam completed. I'm such a horrible test taker! Guess I better get over it.

What all are you using for study material? Don't get discouraged, the Microsoft exams are difficult for most everyone.
  • Options
    jaayw1jaayw1 Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just started WGU and so far so good. I will post later when I have agood assessment of the school.
  • Options
    It is a tough test Purple. I have 8+ years experience in IT and I couldn't pass the 70-642. The only thing I can suggest is to lab, lab, and lab some more. Don't rely on Labsim or the MS Press book and spend most of your time with Technet.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Books 24x7 mobile gurus:

Any reason why I can't save chapters from ISBN 9781590594575? (a Java book)
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    petedude wrote: »
    Books 24x7 mobile gurus:

Any reason why I can't save chapters from ISBN 9781590594575? (a Java book)

how are you tiring to save them?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Well I considered switching to the Security emphasis after bombing out of MS exams, but I just found out that I would have to do the capstone and tech writing again. I don't think so! So it is off to the generic degree.

I was only considering it because I am going to have to take another semester to get the best bang for my buck. Oh well I guess I am super excited for the programming classes. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU grad