Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    lenell86 wrote: »
    anyone know if they have submitted a IT exam past the 25th? I know the policy states it has to be in by the 25th or there is no guarantee it will be added to your transcript, but I plan on taking ICND2 last week of Jan, so I dunno if I should take it before the 25th and rush it or spend more time cramming and schedule late in Jan. My term ends 1/31.

Also if I fail it, will WGU give me another voucher if its past the 25th?

My first term ended two weeks ago, and I took the ICND2 on the 27th of December. It showed up on my transcript after I passed. I made sure that I give WGU enough time to post my score. To be safe, schedule it at least two business days before the end of your term.
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    lenell86 wrote: »
    anyone know if they have submitted a IT exam past the 25th? I know the policy states it has to be in by the 25th or there is no guarantee it will be added to your transcript, but I plan on taking ICND2 last week of Jan, so I dunno if I should take it before the 25th and rush it or spend more time cramming and schedule late in Jan. My term ends 1/31.

Also if I fail it, will WGU give me another voucher if its past the 25th?

Do you have this course on your degree plan for this term? If not then I would wait an extra week and take it as soon as your new term starts. If it already on your plan, I'm not sure I would schedule it after the 25th. However, I would definately ask these questions of my mentor and see what he/she thinks. I doubt they would give you another voucher for this term since most cert exams have a waiting period before you can retake them.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    My mentor told me that as long as I have all transcripts submitted before I approve my AAV it will be applied. According to her, that is the real cutoff.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wonder if you have the same mentor I do?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I finally got my degree plan today. I have to complete seven classes to get my degree. Three are web-related classes. I took the advice to get the 10 minute HTML book, the Java book, the CLEP Principles of Management and the Organizational Behavior books that were recommended. I think each was less than $10 on Amazon.

I plan on starting in March, so hopefully I can read the HTML, Principles of Management and Organizational Behavior before then.

I want to only be @ WGU for one term.

I look forward to updating and corresponding with you all.

Hopefully, I can post something similar to erpadmin.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    And the 70-646 is passed. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be honestly, the first two tests really tie everything together. Not sure where to go next at this point, need to do some thinking over the weekend. I've got just enough time to maybe do two more classes to give me 26 CU for the term. These MS tests have been taking their toll on me.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    And the 70-646 is passed. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be honestly, the first two tests really tie everything together. Not sure where to go next at this point, need to do some thinking over the weekend. I've got just enough time to maybe do two more classes to give me 26 CU for the term. These MS tests have been taking their toll on me.

Very nice! Congrats!
  • Options
    cruffincruffin Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought I would officially say hello and start to post about my WGU experience.

I graduated with my AA this past December and I WAS going to transfer to Franklin University (applied, finaid, scheduled classes, etc) then I heard and did research on WGU and withdrew from Franklin before my term started.

I applied to WGU, had my interviews, passed my assessments, shooting for a February start. However, Finaid hit a speed bump.

I was informed by the financial aid office that I still have financial aid (grant/loan) showing for Franklin University. I now need to send Franklin an Overlapping Loan Clearance form showing that I officially withdrew and didn't receive any money and blah, blah, blah.

I also had to sign an Overlapping Loan Agreement form because my finaid from my AA issuing school is a part of this year's financial aid and they can only issue me so much aid. (just hope it doesn't mess with things)

Hopefully, everything will get straightened out by the 22nd and I will be able to make my Feb. 1st start date!!!
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147

I can only suggest the classes that I have done. Depending on how good you are with math I submitted my first task for QLT1 on 12/27/11 and my final submission for task 5 on 1/4/12. I did have that week off from work but I was familiar with what was asked and I felt QLT1 was pretty easy (the 1st three task I submitted on the same day).

INC1 was not too bad just a ton of knowledge about a lot of different topics. It took me about two weeks to study up on my weak areas by listening to the webinars over and over again. Same for IWC1 took a little under two weeks.

IWT1 task 1 I first submitted on 10/18/11 and my final submission for task 2 was on 11/15 but I did study & take INC1 in-between task.

Good Luck and congrats on your MCITP:SA
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□

Congrats! I'm looking forward to the knowledge from those, but not the tests...lol.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    KeithC wrote: »
    I can only suggest the classes that I have done. Depending on how good you are with math I submitted my first task for QLT1 on 12/27/11 and my final submission for task 5 on 1/4/12. I did have that week off from work but I was familiar with what was asked and I felt QLT1 was pretty easy (the 1st three task I submitted on the same day).

INC1 was not too bad just a ton of knowledge about a lot of different topics. It took me about two weeks to study up on my weak areas by listening to the webinars over and over again. Same for IWC1 took a little under two weeks.

IWT1 task 1 I first submitted on 10/18/11 and my final submission for task 2 was on 11/15 but I did study & take INC1 in-between task.

Good Luck and congrats on your MCITP:SA

Thanks for the congrats. I'm thinking INC1 next as I took the pre-assess and was 2 points shy of the cut score with no prep at all. I am also thinking BOV1, i've had prior experience with a few languages so I don't think it's going to be very difficult. As for the math.......with how I feel about math and how well I do, I could take a full term on that. icon_lol.gif

Also, thanks so much for the congrats from everyone! Using this weekend to unwind, company trip to Jamaica! Been looking forward to it for a while.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    INC1 wasn't bad for me but I'm having a heck of a time with INT1 task one. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I think I'm overthinking it but I'm having a hard time simplifying it.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    INC1 wasn't bad for me but I'm having a heck of a time with INT1 task one. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I think I'm overthinking it but I'm having a hard time simplifying it.

Trust me...you are. (I felt the same way.......)

RINT1 is one Powerpoint Presentation and two topics. 1st is a scientific topic. 2nd is something scientific that happened in history. I can appreciate the difficulty you're facing because you have to convey your topics in a powerpoint....but you're just gonna write bullet points. You still have to cite. You course mentors have probably gave you a formatted powerpoint or a structure of how they want it to look. Use that. Just don't write it like a paper. USE BULLETS.

RINT2 Ahhh yes, the ecosystem. That was actually a fun one to do. I actually had fun doing the research on the ecosystem I chose and I learned a couple of things. That was probably the only time I thought the class was ok.

RINT3...the easiest thing to do. A 5th grade science project of your choosing and you have to apply the scientific method...there are a bunch of projects you can do...I mean a bunch. The only thing they don't want I believe is for you to use a living entity....other than that, anything goes.
  • Options
    Thanks for the congrats. I'm thinking INC1 next as I took the pre-assess and was 2 points shy of the cut score with no prep at all. I am also thinking BOV1, i've had prior experience with a few languages so I don't think it's going to be very difficult. As for the math.......with how I feel about math and how well I do, I could take a full term on that. icon_lol.gif

Also, thanks so much for the congrats from everyone! Using this weekend to unwind, company trip to Jamaica! Been looking forward to it for a while.

First off Congrats....

Second, both my maths I used the entire course of study for......none of this take preassessments and hope for the best jazz....I actually did the homework and called it a day.

You will be amazed at how well you can do the math. (Seriously.) Take it from a guy who hates math more than you do....use Mathlab and those Aaron MacDonald videos. Once you get past his...accent (maybe you won't notice or care...I didn't) and listen to what he is teaching, he actually makes it easy to understand. Also, do the homework. If you feel that uncomfortable, start out with it in the beginning of a term like I did. (I did the management classes in one week, officially, but I had done the work during the "dead time" that no longer exists.)
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Trust me...you are. (I felt the same way.......)

RINT1 is one Powerpoint Presentation and two topics. 1st is a scientific topic. 2nd is something scientific that happened in history. I can appreciate the difficulty you're facing because you have to convey your topics in a powerpoint....but you're just gonna write bullet points. You still have to cite. You course mentors have probably gave you a formatted powerpoint or a structure of how they want it to look. Use that. Just don't write it like a paper. USE BULLETS.

RINT2 Ahhh yes, the ecosystem. That was actually a fun one to do. I actually had fun doing the research on the ecosystem I chose and I learned a couple of things. That was probably the only time I thought the class was ok.

RINT3...the easiest thing to do. A 5th grade science project of your choosing and you have to apply the scientific method...there are a bunch of projects you can do...I mean a bunch. The only thing they don't want I believe is for you to use a living entity....other than that, anything goes.
    Thanks for the pointers! As far as task three, that's disapointing. I wanted to do Schrodinger's cat. :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options

Like erpadmin said you are over thinking it. For task one I just used the examples listed to create my power point on a: plate tectonics and b: mt. st. helens from there just do the leg work of researching what is asked and only list the important stuff. My first submission was sufficient enough to meet requirements (11 slides total with only 1 picture taking up half a slide and my last slide being references and a title at the beginning). I also used the faq in the communities and try to follow the rubric.

I still have INT task 3 to finish but that should be submitted today. We'll see how the evaluators like this beast.
  • Options

I start studying for BOV1 in about a week or two. I was the same for INC1 56% on first pre-assesment then a week later 59% on my last pre-assessment. Than six days later I got 63% on the assessment. I just didn't like the breadth of topics specifically the chemical stuff, molecules and the universe.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I finally got my degree plan today. I have to complete seven classes to get my degree.
    . . .

Lucky you. I think I had like 10 to do when I transferred in.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, sat my last cert exam today (CCNA Sec). My term ends at the end of next month, so that should give me plenty of time to finish up tech writing/capstone. I'm at 120 CU's so far, 13 to go to finish up my 3rd term and the degree. Ready for a break, as probably most of us are. Good luck to those getting close.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yikes, I'm on the 16th chapter of reading for WSV1 (Web Technologies), and let me just say that the material is VERY boring.

Any tips on studying for the test?
  • Options
    Just passed the BNC1 this morning! Onto the the 642 exam.
  • Options
    tekalontekalon Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yikes, I'm on the 16th chapter of reading for WSV1 (Web Technologies), and let me just say that the material is VERY boring.

Any tips on studying for the test?
    I'm also stuck in that area. I know most of the stuff, but I'm want to make sure I don't miss anything big for the test. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Just passed the BNC1 this morning! Onto the the 642 exam.

This is my next one. What method did you use to get this out of the way?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    I bought the book for it - $20 on Amazon. I read through the whole book, even though specific chapters are set in the COS. The excluded chapters reference material in the required chapters. I think I took around 10 days from start to finish, but 3 days were waiting for the OLP exam. It's fairly easy, especially if you have taken these classes in the past.
    I wouldn't bother with the Skillsoft exercises. I found them to be basically worthless. The interactive quizzes are helpful, though.
  • Options
    And passed BOV1, a lot easier having had a few years C++ experience (previous college work), just minimal study. Also CIW tests are easy as a rule it seems. If you can recognize functions, if then statements, and arrays, you've got this one passed. I'm about to request INC1, which puts me at 26 CU for this term once that's passed. Leaving me with 36 for the final term, having done 35 first term I know I can knock that out and be done by the end of August. Finish line in sight!
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    And passed BOV1, a lot easier having had a few years C++ experience (previous college work), just minimal study. Also CIW tests are easy as a rule it seems. If you can recognize functions, if then statements, and arrays, you've got this one passed. I'm about to request INC1, which puts me at 26 CU for this term once that's passed. Leaving me with 36 for the final term, having done 35 first term I know I can knock that out and be done by the end of August. Finish line in sight!

Congrats, didn't think you'd have an issue with BOV1.

I just submitted my IWT Task 2 as well as the revised IWT Task 1 that got sent back to me earlier today, hopefully both of those net a pass and then it's JAVA and the Tech Writing/Capstone.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options

I would suggest planning out LAT1 as soon as possible. If I were you, I would just get your mentor to email you the taskstream tasks for LAT1. Then I would work on that independently while you are doing your other classes, like INC1, INT1 whatever. Then, when you enroll, all you gotta do is send all of your tasks and call it a day. If you get a revision, it's ok; just fix what needs fixin' and you're good. Once LAT1 is out of the way, then you can just enroll in LUT1 and be done with that quickly (almost as quick as LAE1 if the first task you do is done correctly.) I didn't do this for LAT1, but I did do that for LET1. You'll want to do that if you want to meet that August date...LAT1 is a beast for 2 CUs....trust and believe (and I prefer paper writing....lol)

Just stay away from writing about anything technical....you want a very general topic that will have a mixture of books you can find in the ebrary, academic journals, and newspapers. The technical paper is gonna be tech writing and capstone.
    Congrats, didn't think you'd have an issue with BOV1.

I just submitted my IWT Task 2 as well as the revised IWT Task 1 that got sent back to me earlier today, hopefully both of those net a pass and then it's JAVA and the Tech Writing/Capstone.

I know that Java is a beast. I can't really speak on the class other than what I read about it from others hear. But looks like you're almost done! Keep the faith. :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tekalon wrote: »
    I'm also stuck in that area. I know most of the stuff, but I'm want to make sure I don't miss anything big for the test. Any suggestions?

Anyone pass this class recently? I would really like to get some perspective on how hard it is, and how deep I should study.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I'm working on that one now as well veritas, so I can't give you an answer.

If it is anything like the other CIW exams it shouldn't be bad.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I posted this in the other WGU thread and didn't get a reply, so I figure I'll try this one. Of the WGU equivalent courses Straighterline offers, which would you recommend to knock out before starting at WGU? I'm guessing LAE1 & LAT1 for sure since they can be fairly drawn out. Any others? I'm going to do the Straighterline stuff while I work on upgrading my MCSE.

BAC1 (Foundations of College Mathematics)
    BBC1 (Communications Foundations)
    LAE1 (Language & Communication: Essay)
    LAT1 (Language & Communication: Research)
    QLT1 (Quantitative Literacy: Quantitative Problem Solving & Applications)
    SSC1 (General Education Social Science)
    SST1 (General Education Social Science)
    INC1 (Integrated Natural Sciences)
    INT1 (Integrated Natural Sciences Applications)
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]