Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    5 more days till the big start date, hey don't send a welcome pack, or anything by mail, before the start date....

wish they had something to warm up to the day 1

also passed MCTS: SCCM (70-401) today icon_smile.gif
    hopefully SCOM (70-400) really soon
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    asurania wrote: »
    5 more days till the big start date, hey don't send a welcome pack, or anything by mail, before the start date....

I'd suggest calling your enrollment counselor. Since you have a Canadian address, it could have gotten lost or something.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    BirdiechicBirdiechic Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    asurania wrote: »

I start on the 1st too. I am super excited icon_cheers.gif
    WGU BS-IT Security Start Date: 07/01/2010
    Current: waiting for next term
    Completed: BAC1|BBC1|WFV1|TEV1|TTV1|LAE1|LAT1|LUT1|WSV1|INC1|INT1|LET1|CLC1|SST1|TPV1|QLT1|IWT1|MGC1|
    QLC1|ORC1|TSV1|
    Remaining: BGV1|QMC1|IWC1|GTT1|WDV1|GUT1|ABV1|TWA1|CPW4|BLV1

• Options
    TheDailyMelTheDailyMel Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm finally official for my July 1 start as well. Transcripts were received & evaluated and tuition paid. I'm ready to go. :)
    Melissa
    BSIT - started July 1, 2010
    In Progress: TEV1, TTV1
    Completed: EWB2
    Transfer Credits: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I start my first class on July 1. I got my transcripts back. I basically have three IT courses to do and maybe about 12 general education classes. This is more like it then some other colleges.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    I have not heard from my Mentor yet and I start tommorow. I did get a email for the EWB presentation. It looks like it is going to be interesting.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got my first email from my mentor today Awais Asif Ameen, and just wondering if anybody had him, and what he is like etc?

He's my mentor as well. Haven't had a problem with him. Then again, I have everything pretty much figured out so I don't really ask anything of him until I need a pre-assessment approval or a voucher.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Passed INT1 yesterday. 6 down.
  • Options
    I had my first mentor phone call with Tabarus this morning which went very well. He seems very personable. He also seems very interested in helping me achieve my education goals as quickly as possible which is exactly what I am looking for in a mentor. icon_thumright.gif
    Melissa
    Transfer Credits: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1
  • Options
    BirdiechicBirdiechic Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I have not heard from my Mentor yet and I start tommorow. I did get a email for the EWB presentation. It looks like it is going to be interesting.

I received the email about the EWB too, but not my mentor.
    WGU BS-IT Security Start Date: 07/01/2010
    Current: waiting for next term
    Completed: BAC1|BBC1|WFV1|TEV1|TTV1|LAE1|LAT1|LUT1|WSV1|INC1|INT1|LET1|CLC1|SST1|TPV1|QLT1|IWT1|MGC1|
    QLC1|ORC1|TSV1|
    Remaining: BGV1|QMC1|IWC1|GTT1|WDV1|GUT1|ABV1|TWA1|CPW4|BLV1

• Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Capstone project work submitted. Now the waiting game begins :)
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    EWB2 is now complete, all 9 modules and the final assessment! Just waiting on my letter,and can hopefully get my AAV done tomorrow or saturday (mentor is working this saturday).
  • Options
    And there is my completion letter icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Just got the grading notification for my Capstone project. I worked on the Capstone paper until 3:00am this morning before going to bed and put the finishing touches on it this morning, and submitted it for grading at 9:30am.The proposal for it from the technical writing class was graded as 3.94/4.0 and now the Capstone project was graded as 4.0/4.0. My journey at WGU is now officially over. August 1, 2008 was my start date. Now a much needed break will ensue.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cablegod wrote: »
    Just got the grading notification for my Capstone project. I worked on the Capstone paper until 3:00am this morning before going to bed and put the finishing touches on it this morning, and submitted it for grading at 9:30am.The proposal for it from the technical writing class was graded as 3.94/4.0 and now the Capstone project was graded as 4.0/4.0. My journey at WGU is now officially over. August 1, 2008 was my start date. Now a much needed break will ensue.
    Congratulations on finishing your degree!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Congratulations, indeed!!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options

Congratulations!! icon_thumright.gif

I got started today, but I've been having all kinds of fits with my student portal being down. I called the WGU Help Desk and was told they knew about the problem and were working to try and have it resolved ASAP. As of right now, it's down yet again. I really want to try and finish my EWB by tomorrow night.

ETA: Naturally, five minutes after I posted that the site was back online.
    Melissa
  • Options
    Congratulations!! icon_thumright.gif

I got started today, but I'll been having all kinds of fits with my student portal being down. I called the WGU Help Desk and was told they knew about the problem and were working to try and have it resolved ASAP. As of right now, it's down yet again. I really want to try and finish my EWB by tomorrow night.

No worries. A bit of advice for all new-comers to WGU: ALWAYS read the CoS(Course Of Study) PDF very closely for each class. When you get to the Technical Writing and Capstone classes, check the community forum for those, and BE SURE to call the community leader. In my case, it was Dr. Vance. He's a great and wise man. He is invaluable for those two classes. Good luck!
  • Options
    No worries. A bit of advice for all new-comers to WGU: ALWAYS read the CoS(Course Of Study) PDF very closely for each class. When you get to the Technical Writing and Capstone classes, check the community forum for those, and BE SURE to call the community leader. In my case, it was Dr. Vance. He's a great and wise man. He is invaluable for those two classes. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely keep that in mind.
    Melissa
  • Options
    I'd like to remind all new enrollees to check in at the Tech exam members roll call in the information technology programming community. I bumped the thread this morning so it'll be easier to find.
    Veritas may need to start a new thread next month as that ones getting long and slow to load.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I'd like to remind all new enrollees to check in at the Tech exam members roll call in the information technology programming community. I bumped the thread this morning so it'll be easier to find.
    Veritas may need to start a new thread next month as that ones getting long and slow to load.

Done. I think im the only one who has since you bumped it.
  • Options
    I actually started and enjoying the EWB course. I have to say that WGU got their stuff alot more organize then the other online schools I have went too.
  • Options
    Rant on:

Not being able to get to the Course of Study for a class, sucks, especially when your ready to get rolling on it.
  • Options
    They are slow to load and occasionally wont load. When I get it to open I usually print out 1 or 2 sections as I know it'll probably give me troubles later.
    You can print the whole thing at once if you like also.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    They are slow to load and occasionally wont load. When I get it to open I usually print out 1 or 2 sections as I know it'll probably give me troubles later.
    You can print the whole thing at once if you like also.

Well ive gotten done what I need to get done today. Got everything situation, and starting out with 17 CUs this term. IT 1-3 and Net+. Hes trying to get me to have those done to get the lifetime cert prior to next year. It shouldn't be an issue, just ordered all the LRs and should be taking the pre-assessment for CIW today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well ive gotten done what I need to get done today. Got everything situation, and starting out with 17 CUs this term. IT 1-3 and Net+. Hes trying to get me to have those done to get the lifetime cert prior to next year. It shouldn't be an issue, just ordered all the LRs and should be taking the pre-assessment for CIW today or tomorrow.

It's good know that he is working with you on that. Some of the mentors prefer that you take a more diverse selection of classes each term.
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    yea i just finish EWB2, and I just got enrolled in IT Fundamentals I, Web Programming, and Project Management
  • Options
    I will finish it up today
  • Options
    I finished EWB late Friday afternoon. I still need to meet with my mentor again to get everything set up in my AAP. We did discuss it briefly during our initial phone call because I told him A+ really needs to be at the top of my list. I have a job requirement (DoD) to have my A+ completed before the end of the fiscal year in September. He said he would push IT 1 down until later and let me focus on IT 2 & 3 initially to get that cert out of the way ASAP since I'm already studying for it anyway.

I also checked in on the TE forum in the program community.
    Melissa