Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    usagent27 wrote: »
    Ok so i have been trying to get enrolled and my enrollment guy seems like now he is dragging his feet. i have requested my transcripts. They still haven't gotten my college ones (only a history class was on it) can i be enrolled if i tell them no to worry about that one class? i only have a few days left before the cutoff...i'm starting to get discouraged.

The enrollment counselors are typically one's worst experiences with WGU. You're gonna have to call them and get them moving (otherwise they'll just work with what's in their queue.) That history class could mean not having to take IW(x)1, SS(x)1 or something like that.

Once you get over the enrollment hump, the WGU process becomes a lot smoother. But you do have to call them and get them moving and actually share your discouragement. You will see them jump at that point. :)
  • Options
    usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    erpadmin wrote: »
    The enrollment counselors are typically one's worst experiences with WGU. You're gonna have to call them and get them moving (otherwise they'll just work with what's in their queue.) That history class could mean not having to take IW(x)1, SS(x)1 or something like that.

Once you get over the enrollment hump, the WGU process becomes a lot smoother. But you do have to call them and get them moving and actually share your discouragement. You will see them jump at that point. :)

Thanks to both that responded

i have a call with them tomorrow so i will make sure that i share that. I'm also pulling money from my 401k to finance my first semester so i need to have a buffer to make the withdrawl.
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Ok so i have been trying to get enrolled and my enrollment guy seems like now he is dragging his feet. i have requested my transcripts. They still haven't gotten my college ones (only a history class was on it) can i be enrolled if i tell them no to worry about that one class? i only have a few days left before the cutoff...i'm starting to get discouraged.

Call him/her and express your concerns. Ask what your options are.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    I'm in. i start 03/01/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    I'm in. i start 03/01/12

Congrats... welcome to the party!
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I'm in. i start 03/01/12

Congrats I'm starting 04/01/12, getting the work reimbursement in order before I start :)
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    Congrats I'm starting 04/01/12, getting the work reimbursement in order before I start :)

Congrats!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    I'm in. i start 03/01/12

Congrats!!
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in. i start 03/01/12

sAWEET!
  • Options
    thank you to everyone for the Congrats!

This has been a goal of mine for a long time. can't believe i waited this long
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    I'm legitimately scared that KET1 and KFT1 are going to stop me from finishing up this term. As I'm reading through the material I'm thinking that I understand the concepts taking place and I'm following along with the practice examples, but I just finished the Head First Java book I picked up so I was going to try and get started on Task 1 for KET1 and it suddenly hit me that I have no idea of even how to start on this. I got the GUI built, but as far as the actual coding is concerned I'm just flipping back through the book and looking at tutorial videos but I don't feel any progress being made.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    usaagent, Can you pull monies from you retirement plan without a penalty? If not I would not advise transferring any money from a 401K. The IRS will want 40% off of the top! Check with Financial Aid and see what is available to you in a subsidized or direct loan first.
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm legitimately scared that KET1 and KFT1 are going to stop me from finishing up this term. As I'm reading through the material I'm thinking that I understand the concepts taking place and I'm following along with the practice examples, but I just finished the Head First Java book I picked up so I was going to try and get started on Task 1 for KET1 and it suddenly hit me that I have no idea of even how to start on this. I got the GUI built, but as far as the actual coding is concerned I'm just flipping back through the book and looking at tutorial videos but I don't feel any progress being made.

You are not alone at this. I was petrified as well when I read the COS. I didn't even get a chance to take the KET1, because I was a transfer student. Never built a GUI before, and I have been dealing with C++, but not Java at the depth they expect me to know. Oh boy, I'm gonna try to plow this thing ASAP starting tomorrow.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□

I know what you mean. When I read the Taskstream requirements for Task 4 of KFT1, I thought to myself that I would genuinely not be able to complete the course. I mean, I had no experience with anything that was listed, and no idea what half the items they were wanting even meant. I had never dealt with UML, use-case diagrams, etc.

What I did for these courses was to simply ignore the end goal and begin stepping through each task and each section of the CoS one item at a time. It took me 2 months to complete both courses with zero experience at all. This happened because each item you learn leads logically and neatly into the next item you need to learn--and by the time you complete the items in the CoS, you're ready for the tasks, for the most part. There will be some things you'll have to dig into on the side, or clarifications regarding certain specific bits of information.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't stare up at the mountain and be intimidated by it. Start heading up it one step at a time and keep your eyes where you're walking at the moment. You won't fall, and you won't be demotivated by what you can't do because you'll be too busy doing what you can. Guess that sounds amazingly cliched, but all I can tell you is that it worked for me. <Random dude on the internet disclaimer here>

Good luck.
  • Options
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Good luck.

I'll definitely need it. I've been through the resources but it just doesn't seem to touch on exactly what I need for certain steps (or at least to me it doesn't seem that way).

Would you be able to help me with KET1? Not sure if I should send you a PM so we don't clog up the thread, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to take the entries from the 2 text fields (time and earnings) and have them go into a multidimensional array to be used to print the report in Task 1.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    i can take a hardship withdrawl. i will pay a penalty but it's calulated on next years taxes. loans were not an option for me.
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

Here's my thought, for what little it's worth--

WGU doesn't track GPA. Unless you haven't met SAP and are on Federal Aid, it won't be a problem if you get a "not passed" and roll into the next term with the course. Sure, your transcript won't be as nice, but you'll still get the diploma.

It takes what time it takes. Don't kill yourself with fear over wrapping Java courses by the end of the term.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    The first java class is a walk in the park... I never coded in my life and I was able to kick it out in 2 days. Now, I will admit that I had no intentions of learning programming past those 2 classes so I just pushed it out and left the "learn" part in the dust. Just go line by line in the rubics and search for how to accomplish said item in Java. It'll come together.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    XfolioXfolio Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    can you give me a referral to WGU?
  • Options
    Congratulations to all Techexams/WGU students that are graduating today in Atlanta!
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    i can take a hardship withdrawl. i will pay a penalty but it's calulated on next years taxes. loans were not an option for me.

Check to see if you can get a interest free or really low interest (like 1%) loan on your 401k. I did that when me and the wife bought our first house, since I'm so young I didn't really see a huge negative to not being able to use my own money right now and pay it back.
  • Options
    The first java class is a walk in the park... I never coded in my life and I was able to kick it out in 2 days. Now, I will admit that I had no intentions of learning programming past those 2 classes so I just pushed it out and left the "learn" part in the dust. Just go line by line in the rubics and search for how to accomplish said item in Java. It'll come together.

I'm honestly not bothered with the "learning element" either, but still having issues locating how to do this one particular part. In task 1 it requires you to take the text sitting in 2 text fields and input them into the multidimensional array when a button is pressed. I just can't seem to figure out how to take the text residing in those fields and use them as 1 row in the array with each text field representing a column, then allow the user to type in different entries and hit the button again to have it fill out the 2nd row, etc. I feel like once I can get past this portion I should be able to move on through it but this part just isn't clicking. Any ideas or example code with comments you could provide on this one?
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    Jack2 wrote: »
    Congratulations to all Techexams/WGU students that are graduating today in Atlanta!

Thank you! Just got back to my room. My business with WGU has officially been concluded. :)

Went to the mixer last night and met some of the course and student mentors. Some of the course mentors (like mine) didn't make the cut to attend the Atlanta Commencement. Met the Mendanhall as well...seems like he's a nice guy and down to earth. It was pretty much a nice thing overall. I heard this was one of their largest commencements ever. They may repeat having one at the East Coast, but we'll see. But my name got to be in the commencement book and what not; despite missing the deadline (shout out to my mentor for that one.)

Met a few people who took my emphasis, but most of the IT people I met walked with the Security emphasis. But I met others with Software and Network Administration.

Overall, the whole commenecement was a nice affair. I would have done it in Salt Lake City, despite my own personal reservations about going there...but I'd have put that to the side to attend and then head down to Vegas to purify my Utah experience. Having said that, I highly encourage any and all of you current WGU students to attend, be it SLC, or any place on the east coast (Atlanta or otherwise.) It really is a nice affair for you and family and it was pretty efficient in terms of how we were situated. But you really will have an awesome experience. I hope to do it again in a couple of years. :)

Awesome time though....very awesome time.
  • Options
    . . . despite my own personal reservations about going there . . . purify my Utah experience

Congrats and it's good to hear you enjoyed the ceremony. That said, out of (perhaps morbid) curiosity, what's wrong with Utah? Never been there myself and I must confess to complete apathy at the prospect of going. That's pretty much the same as any other state, though, so seeing your pointed comments made me wonder.
  • Options
    Congratulations to all the WGU grads that walked at commencement today!!!
  • Options
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Congrats and it's good to hear you enjoyed the ceremony. That said, out of (perhaps morbid) curiosity, what's wrong with Utah? Never been there myself and I must confess to complete apathy at the prospect of going. That's pretty much the same as any other state, though, so seeing your pointed comments made me wonder.

I guess my only answer to that would be that it SLC sounds pretty boring if you're not into skiing or outdoor activities. That's pretty much what I meant. The whole purify thing was just a play on words to pretty much focus on fun things, like gambling (which is all I would do when I go to Vegas...not into the [any kind of] club scene....):)
  • Options
    I guess my only answer to that would be that it SLC sounds pretty boring if you're not into skiing or outdoor activities. That's pretty much what I meant. The whole purify thing was just a play on words to pretty much focus on fun things, like gambling (which is all I would do when I go to Vegas...not into the [any kind of] club scene....):)

I gotcha. Like I said, was just curious, thought maybe there was a reason to avoid it that I wasn't aware of. There are a few states I have never visited (no reason, just never had any reason to go there), and Utah is one of them. Like I said, I don't have any particular desire to go, but was curious.

I haven't decided if I'll go to the summer ceremony. I was thinking about it, but I don't think the timing is going to work out for me. Anyway, glad the event went well, and congrats again on walking. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I'm honestly not bothered with the "learning element" either, but still having issues locating how to do this one particular part. In task 1 it requires you to take the text sitting in 2 text fields and input them into the multidimensional array when a button is pressed. I just can't seem to figure out how to take the text residing in those fields and use them as 1 row in the array with each text field representing a column, then allow the user to type in different entries and hit the button again to have it fill out the 2nd row, etc. I feel like once I can get past this portion I should be able to move on through it but this part just isn't clicking. Any ideas or example code with comments you could provide on this one?

I don't know if you figured it out yet, but you can do something like this:
    double dbl_Minutes = Double.parseDouble(jTextField_Time.getText());
    double dbl_Earned = Double.parseDouble(jTextField_Payment.getText());

tutor[int_Row][0] = dbl_Minutes;
    tutor[int_Row][1] = dbl_Earned;

jTextField_Time.setText(null);
    jTextField_Payment.setText(null);

That will put the inputs into doubles, then into an array, then clear the boxes for the next entry

You also have to use the try statements to make sure the numbers entered are valid, like greater than 0
  • Options
    It would be cool if they would do one in San Francisco!!! Since California has the largest percentage of WGU students. I am part of the commitee arranging graduation for the University I work at and we are having it at the Masonic Auditorium on Nob Hill In San Francisco this year. We are outgrowing our campus facilities. I think it would be a good selection for WGU also... Hint Hint...
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    That is a lot easier than the way I did it!!! I did a whole try block.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013