Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @natv
    I'd advise against taking any breaks between terms unless you absolutely have to. Things seem to change at WGU fairly frequently. Since the terms are 6 months long, if you need a break, you could just take a week off. I generally give myself one day per week where I don't do any school work. This helps recharge the batteries.
    I understand about wanting to take your time and learn the material and save money. I am working through the program slower than I thought, but deciding to slow down and take more time to absorb the information helps with the courses, especially the ones that build on each other.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What are the Math and science classes like? Do you just read a book and pass a test?
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    crip1087 wrote: »
    Just graduated with my Bachelors of Science in Information Technology from WGU! Took me a good 15 months from the day I started(transferred in 28 units). Feels great to finally finish and good luck to all students!

My WGU experience has been nothing short of great! My mentor(Cora Peterson) was amazing. I really felt like I got my money's worth and I definitely recommend this school to anyone who is thinking of attending.
    Congrats!!icon_thumright.gif

I just started my 3rd term June 1. 5 courses left, 2 of which will be done by next Friday!! I can almost taste it!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    crip1087 wrote: »
    I am considering the 3 different IT related Master's degrees that WGU offers. I hope to start my masters in January. I am leaning towards the MS in Information Security & Assurance. I was hoping to find some more input from WGU grad students on their experiences with that program.

I was looking at this Master's Degree and would be able to transfer in my CCNA and CEH and possibly CISSP (if it counts for anything). But I'm worried about the perceived legitimacy of a WGU Master's Degree. I don't mind getting the B.S. IT, as I have a BA from UMUC already.

Right now, I'm looking at the Telecommunications Master's Degree with MBA from UMUC. But WGU would be way faster and not require eight-week semester over and over.

And Psoasman is right. I just started on the 1st of June; however, initially I was slated to start back in November/December. When I started the enrollment process in October, the IT Net ADM program didn't have the ridiculous Microsoft Fundamentals courses. I hope they take a look at student statistics and see the Web Development seems to be giving some problems.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Has anyone taken SJT2? Need some advice on the SAN diagram needs! Thanks!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    herman.lavenderherman.lavender Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A collegue just mentioned this school to me...it sounds very interesting and cost effective...gotta find out more info though.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Just started my 2nd term at WGU. Provided I don't hit any road blocks, I should be done this term.

Ok...I'm really interested in this school now!
  • Options
    I just started the application process...I currently have 73 credits...I'm hoping they all transfer over and maybe I can receive credit for some of my certs/work experience/training classes...we'll see.
  • Options
    VisionITTechVisionITTech Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ...Sounds pretty interesting...what do i have to lose...think I'm goint to transfer.
  • Options
    VisionITTechVisionITTech Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Approx. $2900 for 6-months...I am currently paying more than that for (2) classes at a private university. I would only need to take (1) additional class in order for it to pay off. Of course, my goal is to knock as many as possible.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Approx. $2900 for 6-months...I am currently paying more than that for (2) classes at a private university. I would only need to take (1) additional class in order for it to pay off. Of course, my goal is to knock as many as possible.

After Pell Grant and a $500 scholarship, I only had to pay $1200 out of pocket. If I had to go additional semesters, I wouldn't qualify for the Pell Grant anymore, but the scholarship is for 4 or 5 semesters. I qualified for 2 scholarships and don't remember which one they awarded me. Also, you may qualify for scholarships through your state eductaion dept. Arkansas decided to cut it's scholarships for online programs the year I started. I would have been awarded nearly $3000 more from my state if I would have started 7 months earlier.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What are the Math and science classes like? Do you just read a book and pass a test?
    I would also like to know this. What kind of math is offered in the finite math classes? Also, what level are the science classes? What are they like?
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you're right.. they must've stopped doing it. When I applied they said they would send me some stuff, but it never arrived. I know it has nothing to do with my military address. I could use a new mouse pad though. I'll ask my mentor or enrollment counselor what ever happened to that box.

Guess I'll get back to my TFT2.. Love how the tasks and COS don't match up..
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Whats up with the MTA classes? Are they really worth anything when you have an MCITP SA? I understand knowing the basics, but for the Network Admin degree, thats 15 certs... now im not complaining about more certs, but i'm sure the CCENT/CCNA cover any networking material covered in the Microsoft Network essentials course, as well as Sec+/Security fundamentals... thoughts?
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think they put the MTA classes in there as a pre-req for doing the MCITP certs. I know that people were having a lot of trouble with the MCITP certs overall, perhaps this is their way to start the education process gradually and get students used to the MS way of doing things. That's just my speculation though.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    syxxsyxx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Within the context of the program I can see it as being somewhat useful or at least logical. Outside of a packaged degree program or path not as much. It is akin to a 101 course followed by a 102 level course with the CompTIA network+/Security+ and then 200 or 300 level courses with the MCITP or CCNA. It shows a progression in learning and intensity of the skills. I am still waiting my transfer credits list and I am hoping that most of the MTA requirements as well and hopefully Network+ will be satisfied with my MCITP:SA. The only REAL issue, which I inquired about in another thread, for me it is a 6 hour trip by car for the MTA exams whereas everything else is local.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm sure it was covered in this thread when they made the change last fall but not officially by the school.

I think someone said it had to do with the number of failures from the Microsoft exams and the school wanting to give the students more fundamentals.

Now of course this isn't the official answer. I personally think its repetitive duplication of work (redundant).

Why should I have to do network fundamentals when I complete CIW Web Associate, Network+, Sec+ and CCNA?

CIW has Java and the web technologies tests, but now you also have to do the Microsoft one.

There has to be a better balancing act or solution.
  • Options
    LET1 - Task 3

Ok, Tasks 1, 2, & 4 have been approved and are finished. Task 3 was sent back stating I didn't give examples of coercive and legitimate power from the scenarios. I don't see those in there. I see and explained the reward, referent, & expert powers.

I've contacted the course mentor, but have received no response. Any advice guys?

WGU -

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @NOLAJ: Did you join the Facebook group that the mentor suggested? I gotta tell you the course mentor is probably the best course mentor I ever dealt with. He will help you! Believe me. You probably just caught him at the wrong time. You should also get a copy of his guideline that he posted in the community but I can PM you some stuff I found very helpful. You have to give examples for all powers (formal and informal). Follow the rubric once again carefully and that's all it matters.

EDIT: My mistake. I realized the guide was specifically for Task 4, but read the A and A1 section on the rubric again. You are suppose to provide example. I think I know where you got stuck on, but one of them can have more than one power and the other can have none, but it's really up to you to decide. You just have to be able to support why you believe that person wields that power. Remember, one power can complement with the other power. So, don't be afraid to use more than one power per person.
  • Options
    @NOLAJ: Did you join the Facebook group that the mentor suggested? I gotta tell you the course mentor is probably the best course mentor I ever dealt with. He will help you! Believe me. You probably just caught him at the wrong time. You should also get a copy of his guideline that he posted in the community but I can PM you some stuff I found very helpful. You have to give examples for all powers (formal and informal). Follow the rubric once again carefully and that's all it matters.

EDIT: My mistake. I realized the guide was specifically for Task 4, but read the A and A1 section on the rubric again. You are suppose to provide example. I think I know where you got stuck on, but one of them can have more than one power and the other can have none, but it's really up to you to decide. You just have to be able to support why you believe that person wields that power. Remember, one power can complement with the other power. So, don't be afraid to use more than one power per person.
    Thanks for the advice!! I see the person with 2 and the other scenario, both have one!
    The course mentor has responded to me as well!!

Thanks again!! icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• Options
    **UPDATE**

Submitted Task 3 again, and it was graded and returned in less than 3 hours--DONE!! Thanks again HiddenKnight!!icon_thumright.gif

4 courses left!!icon_cheers.gif

WGU -

• Options
    Who grades Technical Writing and Capstone? I'm enrolled, but son't see them in Task Stream. I ASSume it's not Task Stream.

WGU -

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    mine was task stream

bug your mentor to add them in
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    mine was task stream

bug your mentor to add them in

I just realized it was my fault!icon_redface.gif You now have to click the "request" button in Degree Plan. I forgot about the changes. Funny thing is I had to do the same thing last week for LET1.

WGU -

• Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Yeah, that part is irritating.

Mentor: Ok, so I'll add XXXX to your current courses.
    Me: Thanks.
    Click approve on AAV
    Wait for mentor to approve what they already approved
    Click Request button on degree program page
    Wait for mentor to approve what they've already approved TWICE
    Click Begin Now
    Wait for it to appear in Taskstream
    Submit all tasks because this whole process took too damn long.
    Wait a week for grading.
    Ask mentor for next course.
    Repeat.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    Valsacar wrote: »
    Yeah, that part is irritating.

Mentor: Ok, so I'll add XXXX to your current courses.
    Me: Thanks.
    Click approve on AAV
    Wait for mentor to approve what they already approved
    Click Request button on degree program page
    Wait for mentor to approve what they've already approved TWICE
    Click Begin Now
    Wait for it to appear in Taskstream
    Submit all tasks because this whole process took too damn long.
    Wait a week for grading.
    Ask mentor for next course.
    Repeat.

Lol, that's it in a nut shell.

WGU -

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So glad no more task stream for me, at least with the BS degree. Although i'm thinking of being silly and going for the MS, looks like a lot of task stream waiting will be done in the future. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yea ive started looking at the masters programs

still kinda on the fence on what one to do
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am thinking of doing the M.S. in Network Management.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    So glad no more task stream for me, at least with the BS degree. Although i'm thinking of being silly and going for the MS, looks like a lot of task stream waiting will be done in the future. icon_lol.gif

After my Technical Writing & Capstone I will be.icon_thumright.gif It's not so bad, I just rather be doing technical stuff. I have to knock out my Java cert(BOV1) Friday then my CCENT(BRV1) and I'm done. Guess I should start looking at Masters programs.

WGU -