Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess I'm super lucky.... every time I've ever submitted anything to Taskstream they have graded it within the same day (sometimes even within the same hour!) As for INC1.........that test kicked my butt. I'm not that bad at science, it's just a very difficult test because SOOO many different topics are covered. The pre-assesment for INC1 was similar in layout to the real exam but some of the questions were just random tid-bits straight out of the book. Most of the actual exam wanted you to read the material and apply the knowledge given the situation at hand. I didn't pass the first time, then read through the pdf again and got a way better score. Good luck with INC1 I hope you pass on your first attempt!
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    My first Taskstream task was graded within 8 hours yesterday and my revisions grade took 15 minutes. LAT1 is going to kill me by the time this is over. icon_sad.gif
    WGU grad
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'll give everyone some help... BibMe: Fast & Easy Bibliography Maker - MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian - Free It'll be a lifesaver with the writing assignments. Once you figure out APA it isn't that hard but for like me who has never written in APA is was very difficult. Bibme doesn't work perfectly, you need to know how the format is suppose to be but it'll get you in the right direction. I had to revise my first task for LAT1 about 5 times because of 1 error in my formating, and they wouldn't tell me which one. I had over 30 APA references in it and I kept re guessing myself.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    Well I officially hate Taskstream. I submitted my second assignment for LAT1. The article I got from the WGU library is in PDF format so I tried to send it that way. They claimed it was blank. I copied the document into a rtf document and now they claim the article is too long. Then I get some response about contacting the course mentor before submitting any more work.
    WGU grad
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well I officially hate Taskstream. I submitted my second assignment for LAT1. The article I got from the WGU library is in PDF format so I tried to send it that way. They claimed it was blank. I copied the document into a rtf document and now they claim the article is too long. Then I get some response about contacting the course mentor before submitting any more work.

JMJ, have you tried contacting the LAT1 community? From what I've found, those places stay very busy and someone, whether it's another or one of the course mentors will respond. Of course, I would also try to contact someone in that department too, be it your course mentor, or someone else in that group.

I can see how bullcrap like that would be frustrating (it would annoy me to no end), but what I would suggest is take a deep breath, and then do what you gotta do. I found myself in similiar situations this past week, but was able to press on. Once I got the pass, the LAE community went bye-bye, so any friends I might have met in a couple of posts I won't have access to.

Give someone a call though. Believe me, you can and will pass.
    How many pages is the article? It is suppose to be 5 to 10. If you copied it to a rtf (word document) you can adjust the font and spacing to fit it in the required space. A shorter document is a lot easier to use than a long one. That had to be one of my hardest task for LAT1.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got a "needs revision" for my second assignment. But I will admit it was poo in powerpoint. I start my two week national guard training Friday and I am trying to clean up some projects at work before I leave.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can i make a suggestion for some good software for writing proper apa format that I use. It works great.
    APA and MLA Format and Style Software by PERRLA, LLC - PERRLA.com
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Finally got my AAP approval from my mentor today. Starting with WFV1, then on to TEV1 and TTV1. Rounding it out with IWT1 on his suggestion to include at least one non objective class.

Waiting on the pre-assessment approval and the emails for VCampus and LearnKey. What is the normal turn-around time for these emails? Plan on following the COS pretty closely for the WFV1 since there is a lot of information there.
    Well I got my IT II and III done, passed both and got my A+. Just had the scored posted so I'm officially done with 30 CU's now in little over 3 months. I'm taking on Security+ and one math class for the next month or so. Hoping to have 40 to 50 CU's done for this term, but time will tell. Anyone else have Adrian as a mentor? He is great.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For the Sec+ a lot of people used just the Labsim and did really well. If you need any help with the math I usually have my WGU messenger on and my user name is iturberv.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Thanks. I have one comment - Mathlab = worst thing ever... It's sooooo slow I time out most of the time. Coursecompass barely works. Uggg how am I suppose to use this? Sent my mentor a email but haven't heard anything back.
    Thanks. I have one comment - Mathlab = worst thing ever... It's sooooo slow I time out most of the time. Coursecompass barely works. Uggg how am I suppose to use this? Sent my mentor a email but haven't heard anything back.
    What kind of internet connection do you have? If it's DSL that may be the problem but I'm just guessing.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Well after a week I made it through LAT1. It is a lot of writing. I will admit I struggled some with it, but I am glad it is over. I also have my voucher on the way for IT fundamentals 1 and took the preassessment on CLC1 and took scored an 82%, so I am just going to take the test. I should have those three classes done in the first month.
    WGU grad
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    earweed wrote: »
    What kind of internet connection do you have? If it's DSL that may be the problem but I'm just guessing.

I seem to remember that MyMathLab and its ilk make heavy use of web plugins, including Flash and QuickTime. I'd recommend making sure you've got enough RAM and Windows/browser updates. You should also make sure underlying components are functioning well (video driver updates, check for adware/spyware).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Well I got my IT II and III done, passed both and got my A+. Just had the scored posted so I'm officially done with 30 CU's now in little over 3 months. I'm taking on Security+ and one math class for the next month or so. Hoping to have 40 to 50 CU's done for this term, but time will tell. Anyone else have Adrian as a mentor? He is great.
    Dag man. You need to give me your formula so I can follow that next term. 40-50..I need that. I plan on getting just 33 this term.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
    My formula? No life! LOL I'm disabled at the moment so I don't have much to do except sit at my computer and study. Who needs kudos is the person above who did LAT1 in 1 week. By the time you're done with LAT1 it's anywhere from 20 to 30 pages. It took me about 3 weeks start to finish. I did CLC1 the same way, just took the preassessment and then the final and passed.

For the math lab - I have 16/2 cable so speed isn't an issue. I don't have problems on anything except the coursecompass page and the mymathlab. Took over a hour to do 15 questions just because it kept timing out.
    To add to that, I do spend 4-6 hours a night on studying and devote my weekends to studying after "chores" are done (grocery shopping, etc). I don't know about 40-50 hours, but I can see 20-30 and will shoot for 20 while maintaining to ensure that I don't eff up SAP. I'm trying to be done in a year and a half. The fun part is going to start for me when I start the MCITP stuff....
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Hey going to start LET1 - Leadership Concept and Application - How long does this course take ?

Also How long does it take for most people to the technical writing course?
    asurania wrote: »
    Hey going to start LET1 - Leadership Concept and Application - How long does this course take ?

Are you that close to being done? The technical writing course is usually done in your last term. It's to write the proposal for your Capstone Project.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□

I already had a previously completed project in mind along with some supporting documentation when I started the technical writing course. I spent a maximum of two weeks writing it, and I'm a slow writer. I'd do a few pages a night.

After the technical writing proposal was done, I completed the capstone in less than a week.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    To add to that, I do spend 4-6 hours a night on studying and devote my weekends to studying after "chores" are done (grocery shopping, etc). I don't know about 40-50 hours, but I can see 20-30 and will shoot for 20 while maintaining to ensure that I don't eff up SAP. I'm trying to be done in a year and a half. The fun part is going to start for me when I start the MCITP stuff....

Even more fun with a wife and kids. :O

My wife sometimes behaves as if she's not aware I have any studying to do, and keeps piling "honey-do's" on me. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    petedude wrote: »
    Even more fun with a wife and kids. :O

My wife sometimes behaves as if she's not aware I have any studying to do, and keeps piling "honey-do's" on me. :)

"honey-do's...." Yeah, I get those from mine too. No kids as of yet, but the dogs are almost as bad. This past weekend had to drive them to the groomers. Plus other small crap.

This Saturday at Noon I have my first webcam assessment (BBC1). I had to tell her that she cannot open my office door or bother me for any reason (unless of course the house is burning down). But that is one of the few times I put my foot down. After that it's pretty normal with the "yes-dear"s.
    I really like the new gmail. Not only does it work better and faster than our old wgu email but you can do bigger attachments. I just got a 20 MB attachment emailed to me. Hotmail wont even let you get a 20 MB attachment.
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145

Yea i am almost close to being done...
    Everything was a review for me

Finished Project+, CIW Found, and CIW Javascript in July

Writing the Principle of Managment exam today, and expect to be done Leadership and Organizational Behavior in the next two week give or take a week.

Which only leaves me Techinical Writing and Capstone for the next 4 months icon_smile.gif

Only reason I can go this fast is cuz Managment courses I done it before in my past education, and I work in IT so the IT courses all was review.
    You'll be done before me..lol
    I still have BHV1, BIV1 (70-643, 70-647) and Technical Writing and the Capstone to go. I started back in Sep 2008 with 0 IT certs though. My term starts Sep 1 and I'm taking the 643 on the 7th and I'm almost done with my Tech writing paper so I'll have almost 6 months to do 647 and the Capstone.
  • spigetyspigety Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I finally finished LAT1 this morning, this was a pretty intensive course. The graders were ridiculously fast though, like 30 minutes to 2 hours for each task I submitted.

Time to start filming the presentation icon_sad.gif
    How long does it usually take to get your vouchers? I assume they email them to you?
    WGU grad
    How long does it usually take to get your vouchers? I assume they email them to you?
    Mine usually take a couple of days. It depends on your Mentor.
  • pleiadenpleiaden Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm new to this board, and haven't read much of the other threads, but I recently applied at WGU for their MS program.
    My current experience however, makes me wonder if I actually want to continue down this path.

The "test" I have to take consisting of language and math questions was absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure whether it was an insult or a waste of time. Anyways, there was no justification for such a test for someone applying to a MS program.
    I took the Network+ in 1999, so apparently I have to take it again.
    I took the CISSP, but apparently that doesn't matter either. One counselor told me it would waive classes, the other said it would not.
    Which brings me to my last point... the enrollment counselor. Does it really need to take on average 4 days to get a response back?

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really wondering whether or not to continue with this program based on my experience.