Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope, in theory everything is included in tuition. That is not to say you might want to source your own materials, based on learning style and preference.
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took a bunch of CIWs to transfer since they have been listing them. I'm trying to take stuff ahead of enrolling and everytime I turn around it seems like something is changing. I did review the transfer agreements and it looks like I can transfer them. Otherwise I wasted a bunch of time and money.
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    I was talking to my mentor about the changes to the Network Administration Degree. It does appear that they have indeed taken out the CIW certifications. They were crap and no one knew who they were anyhow. Apparently they took a lot of the web-coding stuff out of the degree as well. My term doesn't change until August so I won't really know whats different until then.
  • Options
    springb2bspringb2b Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am just in the process of applying.
    Any mommies here? icon_smile.gif
    I am married with a 5 yr okd daughter and work full-time and commute about 1.5 hrs each way and I am scared to commit to something like this.
    I already get stressed out with one class at a b&m and i'm worried that taking 3 classes(13 CU) will be unattainable for me. Help!!! How did you do it?
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think if you find yourself an hour on average every night that you can easily complete 14+ CU's every 6 months. Some courses are much easier than others, taking 1 or 2 simple courses a term really helps out. Intro to IT, business of IT, project management are the 'easier' courses I've completed so far, each took about 20 hours of study time, each are 4 CU's each. I've read organizational behavior is another 'easy' course, another 3 CU's.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So, for CJV1, just read the material, do the labs in MySQL, and that's it? I'm thinking I can get through it within 2 weeks. I'm not sure how good the practice exams are.
  • Options
    thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So far so good they accepted 58 credits and seems like I need 34 or so left. I might try to finish network+ on my own and knock out another class or two for the Software Development track. Trying to make it so I can finish within 6 months? Do you guys think thats possible?
  • Options
    That's great. I have 68 credits that I'm hoping they accept.
  • Options
    34 in 6 months studying 30 hours a week is very possible but bachelor's degrees are 120-130 credits so you must be transferring a lot of certs as well.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    I've read organizational behavior is another 'easy' course, another 3 CU's.

I felt it was rather easy. Of course, I spent 22 years in the military, so a lot of the material was covered by the different leadership courses I took.

I was approved to take the class on a Monday, took the preassessment that day, scheduled the assessment for Thursday and passed it. So, if you have the background, you might not even need to read anything to pass. That isn't, though, to say that the course itself is super easy. For some, especially those with little to no leadership experience or training, I am sure it could be moderately difficult. Being able to knock out a class in four days...priceless!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    I started studying organizational behavior last night. After spending 2 hours reading the first chapter, doing the quiz then watching the quiz answer video that gave a lot of suggestions I'm wondering if I should even bother reading the chapters and just going by the suggestions in the quiz answer videos which is maybe 10 pages to study off of instead of spending the next 2-3 weeks reading the mostly dry material. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have a few years of management experience and a lot of the quiz answers seemed like process of elimination but I've never heard of a lot of these models of behavior.
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Audible has the book summary for Org Behavior and Management Priciples or whatever it is called now. I orderedthem listened to them during my commute and did the assessments. Like 4 hours total for each course.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    94% on my C457 assessment. Nice. :)
  • Options
    WGU Update -

After all the drama of actually getting thru the enrollment process I finally had my first call with my mentor today. My degree plan still isn't opened up because I am a continuing student but I am enrolled in my first two classes - Current and Emerging Technologies and a 10 day boot camp for Risk Management. I am hoping to knock both of those out within the first 3 weeks.
  • Options
    ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed 801 last night! That might be the first actual test I've taken in 5 years (since getting my associates) and man I'm so glad that I actually went back over each question again. I used the entire time that was allowed :)

On to 802 then Net+.
  • Options
    All right the masters starts today. After all the hassle it better be worth it icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    xeruanxeruan Member Posts: 146 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cshkuru wrote: »
    All right the masters starts today. After all the hassle it better be worth it icon_smile.gif

Best of luck, my MS:ISA begins today as well.
  • Options
    vmixervmixer Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Today was day 1 for me as well. I just uploaded 5 files to taskSCREAM (I take no credit. I saw it here first but Im using it!)

I am trying to wrap up another task to submit, but I can't stop hitting F5 and watching my papers go up in the que.

ugh. If all of those assignments are passed that will knock out 6cu today. I've been slaving away for two weeks. I want my cookie!!!!!!
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TaskSteam can be very slow vmixer, better keep going on more tasks before you get behind :) especially at the beginning of the term, you'll find that the graders are trying to finish up from the previous month and then can get to the new students. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't move quickly!
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    vmixer wrote: »
    Today was day 1 for me as well. I just uploaded 5 files to taskSCREAM (I take no credit. I saw it here first but Im using it!)

I would have loved to do that too but being a returning student they wouldn't open my portal and as much as I searched on line I couldn't find good copies of the CoS. I am in the 10 day Risk Management (JIT2) Cohort and am already working on the day 3 stuff so I figure I will be alright. MY goal for this term is to knock out the 4 common courses between MS-ITM and MS-ISA and the advanced networking course. Then at the end of the term I will decide if I want to stay on this track or switch.
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    God, I dislike the change to Labsim. During a class no doubt. Couldn't they have let me decide to stop using the other version?
  • Options
    Ok So I go and check my class, and Labsim isn't anywhere to be found. It's Ucertify only. This is the stuff that pisses me off. Please don't change things, in my last week or two of a class. I mean really?
  • Options
    What course Chadius? I miss LabSim with Network+ and Security+ but had good luck with uCertify on Project+. I wish wgu would focus more on these 2 instead of CBT nuggets and cisco study guides. Find them great study materials.
  • Options
    asmills85asmills85 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just finished my bachelors with WGU. Anyone who has completed a masters program through WGU, would you say it was worth it or would you choose a different school?
  • Options
    @Techfiend: Network + (I let my old one expire, and had to take it thru school) My mentor said they should have it fixed today. If it was for N10-005, I wouldn't be so annoyed, I would just get thru it and take the test. But since it is for 006, I have no idea where to start or extend my studying. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    asmills85asmills85 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    asmills85 wrote: »
    I just finished my bachelors with WGU. Anyone who has completed a masters program through WGU, would you say it was worth it or would you choose a different school?

By the way, I have my bachelors from WGU. So I know how the program works, it was always my plan to get my Masters from a more known or B&M school to avoid the stigma of having an only online education. I know it is a quality program, but I can't change public perception.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably been said before but if anyone is looking to knock 3 credits out take BVC1, geography! I took a pre-assessment on Sunday passed with a 74% studied for 6 hours Monday, took another pre-assessment this morning passed with an 88% then took the assessment about 20 min ago and got an 87%. So if you're any good with geography take a look at this one!
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been looking at WGU for a few months. My employer will fund it so I'm pretty much decided. I also recently got approved into their master's program. My questions are for anyone who has completed the MS in Information Security & Assurance...If I come to the table already with a CEH, is completing this program in a year realistic? I'm curious what the typical course workload is like and how the assessments are. Also, I have a newborn and fulltime job. But I'm excepting to be able to put 20/hours per week into this. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Chadius wrote: »
    Ok So I go and check my class, and Labsim isn't anywhere to be found. It's Ucertify only. This is the stuff that pisses me off. Please don't change things, in my last week or two of a class. I mean really?

FYI to everyone trying to finish Network + 005 version. If you load the class using IE brower you can still get to Labsim or you can check the course chatter for the link to get there. If you use Firefox it will send you to the 006 version of the course.

I'm taking the test in 3 days so I had to figure out how to continue LabSim version and this was the work-a rounds I discovered.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    C179 course mentor is really ******* me off. She wants to set up a meeting with me to make sure I'm ready to take the final exam and her calendar is booked out the wazoo.

This is my first attempt, no second, I shouldn't have to speak to you about taking it.

I guess she got annoyed because I spoke my mind about the coursework vs the material on the preassessment not matching up, and that I thought the way she laid out her assignments seemed like she mindlessly threw it all in there in 10 minutes and called it a day.

Week 2, read part of chapter 10, week 3, read all of chapter 10, what kind of **** is that?

Pardon the language.