Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TPV1 passed, 771, which is perfectly acceptable to me on this. That finishes up my term, going to spend the rest of the time until Sept. 1st studying powershell and for the 70-642. Puts me at 35 CU for the term which is right on time for a graduation of either Aug. or Sept. of next year which is exactly what I was shooting for. Fast, but not killing myself fast.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    TPV1 passed, 771, which is perfectly acceptable to me on this.
    I hear you on that. I took TPV1 last Monday and scored a 777. It's the first sub-800 score I've earned on a CompTIA exam. I was not the least bit bummed about it. Just glad to pass and move on. Congrats!
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just got my Capstone back from Taskstream. I submitted it late last night and my eval was waiting for me when I got home.

I am shocked to say that I scored a perfect 4 out of 4 on it. That's my first and only 4 on a taskstream project. Capstone was 32 pages on setting up a secure wireless network. Not a ton to write about so I also performed a security audit and wrapped in everything from Cisco to Security + in hardening all the different systems. All the things I learned in Project+ really came in handy.

This project really put it all together for me. I started writing and it just kept coming. The light went on for me as I pulled something from almost every course I went through. Even the scripting courses came in handy when I thought of little script kiddies knocking on the firewall with port scans.

For those of you wondering how fast. I started 10/1/2010 and finished today 2/20/2011 Transferred in 18 CU's and completed 106 for a total of 124. I DO NOT RECCOMMEND anyone going this fast unless your ready to give up everything. I was studying everyday on a vacation to Florida, I was studying Christmas morning and New Years Eve I have been studying everyday anywhere from 8-16 hours a day. I took one or 2 days off but that’s about it.

I have been in the IT field for close to 15 years, started and stopped college a few times, and held a few certs that have since expired. For me it was doing the work and proving I have the knowledge to get the degree. Everyone is different and WGU lets you get there. You can sprint or take it like a marathon. I think a mix of the two is the best way to go.

Thank you to everyone here and the rest of the cert forums on Tech Exams. The recommendations on books and software were right on track. There is no way I would have been done without your help.

Sorry for the long post!!! I am still in writing mode from the Capstone.

My kids are really happy to have their Dad back and I even played Wii with them tonight for the first time since I started.
    icon_cheers.gif

wtf? Am I reading this right? "CU" is credit units ? I'm I to understand you completed a BA program (4yrs) in 5ish months? icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    wtf? Am I reading this right? "CU" is credit units ? I'm I to understand you completed a BA program (4yrs) in 5ish months? icon_eek.gif

The CU's are competency units. They're similar to credits but not the same. All classes are based on whether or not you can demonstrate "competency" with a certain concept rather than how long you sit in a classroom. If you already know the stuff, then you don't have to study much, and you can get through the program quickly. However, to quote weight loss commercials, RESULTS NOT TYPICAL.
  • Options
    arvin2212arvin2212 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Even if your uncle had an address in the US, you still have to show residency in the US. Which means you'd have to produce a student visa and fill out forms that are specific to International Students. There really isn't anyway around that (it's a US Federal thing and WGU for whatever reason can't accomodate international students. They barely can accomodate Americans (or their spouses) who are overseas doing military services, WGU have a number of those. Hopefully, the situation will change for international students, but I don't think WGU is there yet.

Hmm... I am disappointed. Would there be any online university which programs are similar to what is being offered by WGU and perhaps the academic structure as well (2 years for someone who already possess an accredited degree etc) that would accommodate international students?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    arvin2212 wrote: »
    Hmm... I am disappointed. Would there be any online university which programs are similar to what is being offered by WGU and perhaps the academic structure as well (2 years for someone who already possess an accredited degree etc) that would accommodate international students?

I would suggest making that inquiry in a new thread. You will get more responses from others who aren't WGU students. However, a good Google search for online degrees would make a good start. :)
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Received a 3.5 on Let1 task 2
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nhpr wrote: »
    The CU's are competency units. They're similar to credits but not the same. All classes are based on whether or not you can demonstrate "competency" with a certain concept rather than how long you sit in a classroom. If you already know the stuff, then you don't have to study much, and you can get through the program quickly. However, to quote weight loss commercials, RESULTS NOT TYPICAL.

I will also add that you would need a mentor that would let you go this fast. With the hoops that I go through, I would never be able to get it all done in 1 term. My original goal was 2 terms, I am now thinking 3 is the most accurate.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    I will also add that you would need a mentor that would let you go this fast. With the hoops that I go through, I would never be able to get it all done in 1 term. My original goal was 2 terms, I am now thinking 3 is the most accurate.

It has been said time and time again: if your mentor sucks, contact student services and ask for a new one. When you pay tuition, you're the boss, not your mentor or anyone else.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I'm almost at the 4 month mark in my first term, and I'm loving WGU so far. I just took the exam for SSC1 (social sciences) after having access to the course materials for a week. It's so awesome that when I hit a course containing subject matter that I don't like, I can't just knuckle down, dig in and get it done quicker so it's out of the way, then move on to something I like. Not like a brick & mortar, where you're stuck with a class 3-4 months.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I'm trying to finish out my term with LET1, INT1, CLC1, MGC1, LAT1, and LUT1. I will try to finish the first 3 by next week and then spend a week on MGC1. Hopefully, I can get the rest of the English done and I can get squeezed in for TWA1. My mentor said she has seen people finish technical writing in like 3 weeks. I'm shooting for a month and then 2 months to do my capstone next term.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    jahsoul wrote: »
    . My mentor said she has seen people finish technical writing in like 3 weeks. I'm shooting for a month and then 2 months to do my capstone next term.

Meh, I took me 4 days and probably a week total on waiting for grading for Tech Writing and maybe a week on the Capstone. Be thinking about your project ahead of time and start to gather ideas or use a project you have recently done. It is really not that bad.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Meh, I took me 4 days and probably a week total on waiting for grading for Tech Writing and maybe a week on the Capstone. Be thinking about your project ahead of time and start to gather ideas or use a project you have recently done. It is really not that bad.

I'm with you. It all depends on how much effort you put into it. If my plans work out I'll have 3 months to finish tech/cap. But really should only take a week to write the tech paper, then 2-3 to do the project I wrote about and finally a week to do capstone. Can't wait to be done!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I already have a project in mind. Wow, a week to do tech writing and and a week to do the capstone. I might try that. Going for the gusto!!!
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    Ok, talked my mentor in giving me 2 classes this week, going to try and get them both done by Saturday, any hints on passing CLC1 and INC1? Already passed the pre-assessments on both, are the assessments easier, harder about the same?
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    Ok, talked my mentor in giving me 2 classes this week, going to try and get them both done by Saturday, any hints on passing CLC1 and INC1? Already passed the pre-assessments on both, are the assessments easier, harder about the same?

LOL, you still have to schedule both of those classes. It will most likely be next week before you take them. If you can get them scheduled for this week I will be left speechless. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    LOL, you still have to schedule both of those classes. It will most likely be next week before you take them. If you can get them scheduled for this week I will be left speechless. icon_wink.gif

What Veritas means is you need 5 days lead time per exams. You schedule them, but it has to be at least 5 days ahead. You will not be taking those exams this week.

To answer your question about CLC1...it was pretty much a take a pre-assessment and schedule a regular assessment and then take the exam and pass. If you did that with INC1, should be good to go.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Any of you guys graduating before Feb plan on going to the graduation cermony in Feb? I think it said average age there is 36, I'm 28 and I look like my 21. I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb in salt lake city -- the fat asian guy lol
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    Just scheduled ORC1 for next week. Time is flying, and I still have two classes after ORC1: HHT1 and Network Infrastructure. I'm going to try and knock out HHT1 soon and see if I can cram in just one more class. I'm not too worried about the 70-642.
  • Options
    drew726 wrote: »
    I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb in salt lake city -- the fat asian guy lol

So you should be glad that if you're going to graduate before February that the commencement ceremony will be in Atlanta, then, and not Salt Lake City. :)

I can fly my parents out to Atlanta and then we can drive back up to Jersey and they can then fly back home from there. I've never been to Atlanta and I know it's going to be a great time there.
  • Options
    So you should be glad that if you're going to graduate before February that the commencement ceremony will be in Atlanta, then, and not Salt Lake City. :)

I can fly my parents out to Atlanta and then we can drive back up to Jersey and they can then fly back home from there. I've never been to Atlanta and I know it's going to be a great time there.

Is there a page on WGU's web site that lists the when and where for commencements? I'm hoping that when I graduate it will be in Atlanta.
  • Options
    Is there a page on WGU's web site that lists the when and where for commencements? I'm hoping that when I graduate it will be in Atlanta.

We only know as of now that it will be in Atlanta and the date (February 11, 2012). Where in Atlanta is not known yet.

WGU Alumni Community - WGU Commencement Programs

It'll be on the left hand side.
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Finally stopped procrastinating on LET1 as it's my last class this term and submitted the first two papers. Not bad at all once I sat down and actually did it. :)

Hoping to finish the next two soon but that'll leave me August with all classes finished before next term in September.

Has anyone had luck getting their mentor to give access to labsims for classes you haven't started yet? I want to study 70-640 during the lame duck month before next term and labsim would be a nice resource to have sooner than later.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »
    Finally stopped procrastinating on LET1 as it's my last class this term and submitted the first two papers. Not bad at all once I sat down and actually did it. :)

Hoping to finish the next two soon but that'll leave me August with all classes finished before next term in September.

Has anyone had luck getting their mentor to give access to labsims for classes you haven't started yet? I want to study 70-640 during the lame duck month before next term and labsim would be a nice resource to have sooner than later.

WGU has changed the way they do things......

There no longer is a "lame duck month" any more. You have until the 25th of the last month of your term before you hand in assessments. HOWEVER, that's never a good idea (especially in your case) because anytime you hand in a paper after the 15th of any month, you are waiting like a week to get graded. The first week of any month for papers to be handed in will always get you a quick response from Taskstream.

To answer your second question about getting Labsims without being enrolled, yes you can get Labsims before you are "enrolled." In order to get a voucher, you must be enrolled. Labsims/any learning resources can be had before you enroll in any class though.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Ugh I am having such a hard time getting motivated for the 70-642. I started to go through UCertify practice tests I bought and it is like reading a book for every question. I went through the MS press book once and I didn't get much out of it. I just need to buckle down since I want to take this by mid August.
    WGU grad
  • Options

Both are now officially scheduled for Saturday this week. So you can officially be speechless. icon_wink.gif
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »

Yep got my 70-642 opened up already and about 3 modules in. Hoping to do the test as soon as my 2nd term starts. Knock those LET1 tasks out, the 4th one took me the longest out of all of them, but still easily doable in about an hour or so.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Do you find that labsim is some what lacking on 70-642
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Do you find that labsim is some what lacking on 70-642

I'm not far enough in to really say one way or the other. I'm certainly learning new stuff, but then again it's not stuff I do every day. My plan of attack is to finish out the labsim, then start in on the MS press book and labs. After that I plan to go into that Sybex book that covers the 640,642, and 643. After that we'll see, although I don't think it's been updated for r2 yet at least.
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    WGU has changed the way they do things......

There no longer is a "lame duck month" any more. You have until the 25th of the last month of your term before you hand in assessments. HOWEVER, that's never a good idea (especially in your case) because anytime you hand in a paper after the 15th of any month, you are waiting like a week to get graded. The first week of any month for papers to be handed in will always get you a quick response from Taskstream.

To answer your second question about getting Labsims without being enrolled, yes you can get Labsims before you are "enrolled." In order to get a voucher, you must be enrolled. Labsims/any learning resources can be had before you enroll in any class though.

Good advice like usual from erpadmin, thanks.

Nice to know I have the option to complete another class in the last term month but I'm rebuilding a private schools network from scratch solo so I'm gonna be a too busy to do any more than light studying for the majority August. (good timing really that the work falls on this month)

I'll check with my mentor on getting 70-640 labsim and just do that when I have time before I jump into the ms-press and sybex books.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!