Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So I just got my new MS Press book for the 70-642. Gonna go through it, along with my prior notes that I had in the beginning. I'm gonna shoot for middle of August. Between that and TechNet, I should be fine (God willing).

My plan though, since my 3rd term begins August 1, is to enroll in everything. No more 12 CUs then accelerating; just straight up going for glory. By doing this:

1) I have a gun to my head to focus on my MS exams and papers. I can start Tech Writing on 8/1 and be done with it hopefully by September and then knock Capstone out that month. I kind of know what my topic is going to be and I believe it will be doable.

2) If I can pass on exam a month, like what I wanted to do, I can be done by the end of the year.

3) My mentor calls me weekly anyway.

The biggest risk, of course, is that I end up with a fail. However, no risk, no glory. That's always been what I've been about. 37 CUs seems ambitious, but it's only 6 CUs more than what I finished with this term. If I do this term the way I've done my last two terms, I risk going a 4th term...and missing out on going to Atlanta.

So what do you guys think? Enrolling in everything in one shot a good idea based on my thought process?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    erpadmin wrote: »
    So I just got my new MS Press book for the 70-642. Gonna go through it, along with my prior notes that I had in the beginning. I'm gonna shoot for middle of August. Between that and TechNet, I should be fine (God willing).

My plan though, since my 3rd term begins August 1, is to enroll in everything. No more 12 CUs then accelerating; just straight up going for glory. By doing this:

1) I have a gun to my head to focus on my MS exams and papers. I can start Tech Writing on 8/1 and be done with it hopefully by September and then knock Capstone out that month. I kind of know what my topic is going to be and I believe it will be doable.

2) If I can pass on exam a month, like what I wanted to do, I can be done by the end of the year.

3) My mentor calls me weekly anyway.

The biggest risk, of course, is that I end up with a fail. However, no risk, no glory. That's always been what I've been about. 37 CUs seems ambitious, but it's only 6 CUs more than what I finished with this term. If I do this term the way I've done my last two terms, I risk going a 4th term...and missing out on going to Atlanta.

So what do you guys think? Enrolling in everything in one shot a good idea based on my thought process?

im doing that class as well... labsim seams to be a little bit lacking so im gonna get he examcram book to go with it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    im doing that class as well... labsim seams to be a little bit lacking so im gonna get he examcram book to go with it

I would strongly suggest this book: Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (9780735651609): Tony Northrup, J.C. Mackin: Books

Examcram books have always seemed a bit lacking. You're right though, Labsim hasn't been upgraded for R2 yet, like 70-640 has. I can't wait for that though so I gotta do the MSPRESS/Technet route and hope it's enough.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I would strongly suggest this book: Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (9780735651609): Tony Northrup, J.C. Mackin: Books

Examcram books have always seemed a bit lacking. You're right though, Labsim hasn't been upgraded for R2 yet, like 70-640 has. I can't wait for that though so I gotta do the MSPRESS/Technet route and hope it's enough.

thanks, ill give that one a go i just have no way to lab out the stuff thats why i was going to get an examcram book

i too hope to be done about mid to late august and done by jan so i can walk in feb
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    There is this book for the 642 R2. Amazon.com: MCTS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete Study Guide (Exams 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643) (9780470948460): William Panek: Books

I didn't really care for it, but it is an ok supplemental resource.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    I didn't really care for it, but it is an ok supplemental resource.

I didn't care for it as well.....he tries to put too much information into a condensed format. I'd have been better of with the MS Press books, 1st edition. LOL.
  • Options
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    That is strange, hows the math is it much more difficult than BAC1?

LAE1 was super easy, LAT1 is kicking my ass. Mostly because I tried to force it to be as easy as LAE1.

LMAO!!! Oh memories......thanks for that.

LAT1 is a pain, but necessary to prepare you for tech writing. (Which will make LAT1 look like LAE1.....)

The best way to deal with LAT1 is to pick a topic that has a lot of resources that are acceptable as sources. (journals, newspapers, books, etc...) The WGU library is your friend for this...(you paid the $45...might as well...) You also want to try to use a general topic (in other words, avoid IT/any technical...that's what TWA is for...)

The hardest part of LAT1 was picking a topic. Once I found one I was comfortable talking about, and made sure I had enough sources, I went to town. It was no cakewalk though....thing took me a couple of weeks to do....I even had to take off from work for a week JUST do deal with this. (I have that much time... ;) ).

As for the math....listen, if you suck at Math or just really rusty (I was both), then mathlab/COS is your friend. You gotta work through the COS. If you go through the COS and the videos, the math will seem easy. But you gotta put in work, like everything else in life. :)
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have a topic, the big problem is I tried to do task 5 and ignore the all the rest. Needless to say it didn't pass inspection, and the course mentor tracked me down and gave me an earful. :)

Finished tasks 1-4 this week and submitted my revised paper about 5 minutes ago, don't have much faith it is going to pass without revision, but I need another set of eyes on it, so the feedback will be welcome.

So I can't seem to get a straight answer. What happens if the paper never passes out of the 4 attempts. Does the class fail and go against my SAP and I need to take again?
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Have a topic, the big problem is I tried to do task 5 and ignore the all the rest. Needless to say it didn't pass inspection, and the course mentor tracked me down and gave me an earful. :)

Finished tasks 1-4 this week and submitted my revised paper about 5 minutes ago, don't have much faith it is going to pass without revision, but I need another set of eyes on it, so the feedback will be welcome.

So I can't seem to get a straight answer. What happens if the paper never passes out of the 4 attempts. Does the class fail and go against my SAP and I need to take again?

If it doesn't pass with 4 try's... First you need to get with the course mentor. Then you need to really figure out what you're doing wrong. They tell you for the most part, sometimes it is cryptic, what you got right/wrong in taskstream.

My biggest question for you is how you thought you'd skip task 1-4? They all build on each other and the outcome is task 5. Task 4 basically is task 5, but a rougher draft in 4. When is comes to taskstream, do tasks in order and you have to do all of them. It isn't do final task only and pass.

Not trying to be rude or anything like that but it's the truth.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    Passed lat1!!
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    My biggest question for you is how you thought you'd skip task 1-4? They all build on each other and the outcome is task 5. Task 4 basically is task 5, but a rougher draft in 4. When is comes to taskstream, do tasks in order and you have to do all of them. It isn't do final task only and pass.

Not trying to be rude or anything like that but it's the truth.

Like I mentioned, I really wanted it to be like LAE1, where there was a lot of reading and practice assignments I just ignored and wrote a paper and passed the first try. Figured if the last paper of the course (LAT1) passed on the first try the class would be done. Anyways as mentioned that didn't happen and that wasn't the case. Passed on 2nd try though!
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    Like I mentioned, I really wanted it to be like LAE1, where there was a lot of reading and practice assignments I just ignored and wrote a paper and passed the first try. Figured if the last paper of the course (LAT1) passed on the first try the class would be done. Anyways as mentioned that didn't happen and that wasn't the case. Passed on 2nd try though!

Listen, if you have to do LUT1, F-O-L-L-O-W instructions for your first task. Do not get cute like you did with LAT1...your script is going to be based of your LAT1 paper, but make sure you follow the instructions on how to format it properly.

Like you, I tried to get cute and try to "LAE1" LUT1...I got a revision and had to work on my format. Once that got done, the last task was easy. LUT1 is a cross between LAT1 and LUT1, but don't try to hurry it....you will get smacked back into reality like you did with LAT1.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, I contemplated taking LUT1 next, I really did. However I figured I needed a break from Taskstream after LET1, so CLC and INC for me. I will however have to take it eventually so I will remember what you said.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Thanks for the advice, I contemplated taking LUT1 next, I really did. However I figured I needed a break from Taskstream after LET1, so CLC and INC for me. I will however have to take it eventually so I will remember what you said.

LUT1 can be done in an afternoon. Most of it is copy and paste from LAT1.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    Well, nothing is going to be added for a while, everyone is in Utah for training, and I can't get any classes added. Even tried calling student services, and they said my mentor has to do it.

Only peeve about WGU, is that you have to wait for them so much, I could probably have 2-3 more classes done if I didn't have to wait for them as much as I do, and that is waiting within reason, I am ok with M-F 8am-5pm access.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    Well, nothing is going to be added for a while, everyone is in Utah for training, and I can't get any classes added. Even tried calling student services, and they said my mentor has to do it.

Only peeve about WGU, is that you have to wait for them so much, I could probably have 2-3 more classes done if I didn't have to wait for them as much as I do, and that is waiting within reason, I am ok with M-F 8am-5pm access.

Chill out man.....(man you really do bring back memories...lol)

Use that nervous energy for going over the COSes you want to take. You can do that in a whole weekend. Then when you're "enrolled," you are that much ahead. How do you think I did LET1, ORC1 and MGC1 in six days? (According to WGU). Because I did all the work weeks before I was "enrolled." You can do a ORC1 and MGC1 pre-assessment. If you pass above the cut score, you're ready for the real exams. Same with CLC1.

What student services CAN do for you right now is give you taskstream tasks for LUT1. They can't enroll you, but they can give you the tasks right now so that you can work on them and have it ready for when you enroll.

As someone who almost a year ago (by about a week) went through what you're going through (as well as everyone else), that's really the best way to approach the "wait." Don't be cute and try to reinvent the wheel...you'll only go mad and get frustrated. Do what's worked for many of us who started before you.
  • Options
    Guess I got a bad student services rep, wouldn't even give me access to classes.

Back story, I have 6 months while I am self employed to get a huge headstart on classes, after these 6 months I can't predict how much I can spend on classes, so of course I want to get all I can do done. Not trying to be cute, but not trying to waste time either.

If need be I can work on Active Directory all weekend, however I like to have something in the hopper for when my mind glazes over. Knew about the COS, but thought I wouldn't have access to learning resources, I see now that I can access the Mind's edge stuff. Thanks!
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    Guess I got a bad student services rep, wouldn't even give me access to classes.

Back story, I have 6 months while I am self employed to get a huge headstart on classes, after these 6 months I can't predict how much I can spend on classes, so of course I want to get all I can do done. Not trying to be cute, but not trying to waste time either.

If need be I can work on Active Directory all weekend, however I like to have something in the hopper for when my mind glazes over. Knew about the COS, but thought I wouldn't have access to learning resources, I see now that I can access the Mind's edge stuff. Thanks!

I was and am exactly the same way you are....I work more than 40 hours a week...I was able to get rid of my remaning GE CUs in 7 months. There are guys who opted to have no life who work the same if not more hours than me who did an entire program in one term. I knew me though (no one knows me better than I do) and I knew if I tried that I would burn out faster than the speed of light. However, I know I don't do the bare minimum either.

Student Services CAN give you a copy of Taskstream tasks for anything, they just can't enroll you in the task. I did this for LET1 so I know it's possible. I myself have started reading the COS for TWA so that I can have a finished paper by the end of the year (or sooner).

Get busy and take that bundle of nerves and get to the COSes. :)
  • Options
    Been reading CLC mind's edge stuff all day! Taking your advice.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    utahjzz98utahjzz98 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tried searching for this, but I couldn't find anything and I am hoping to avoid reading a 100+ page thread to find the answer. I have signed up and will begin my Bachelor of Science Information Technology – Databases degree on 08/01/11. My question is if anybody has had success using tuition reimbursement from their employer to pay for tuition at WGU? Our reimbursement program at my employer is based on per class cost, so I am trying to figure how it would work considering they bill per 6 month term. I have been emailing back and forth with our HR department to see if we can work something out, but I was hoping I could provide them with an example of how it was already done. Any suggestions would be great.
  • Options
    utahjzz98 wrote: »
    I tried searching for this, but I couldn't find anything and I am hoping to avoid reading a 100+ page thread to find the answer. I have signed up and will begin my Bachelor of Science Information Technology – Databases degree on 08/01/11. My question is if anybody has had success using tuition reimbursement from their employer to pay for tuition at WGU? Our reimbursement program at my employer is based on per class cost, so I am trying to figure how it would work considering they bill per 6 month term. I have been emailing back and forth with our HR department to see if we can work something out, but I was hoping I could provide them with an example of how it was already done. Any suggestions would be great.

If HR is a bit confused, this is what I'd suggest:

WGU charges a flat rate of $2890 (tuition) + $45 (library) per 6 month term (this information is on the WGU web page). Whether you take 12 CUs or 100 CUs, it's gonna be the same amount of tuition. (I might be off on the exact price a tiny bit...so do double check that.)

Since you have to provide a cost to HR based on how much it costs per class then tell HR what the cost is based on this formula:

(2890+45)/12

That comes out to $244.58 a class. Of course, the more you do, the less it costs, but for HR purposes, that's your amount.
  • Options
    utahjzz98utahjzz98 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

WGU charges a flat rate of $2890 (tuition) + $45 (library) per 6 month term (this information is on the WGU web page). Whether you take 12 CUs or 100 CUs, it's gonna be the same amount of tuition. (I might be off on the exact price a tiny bit...so do double check that.)

Since you have to provide a cost to HR based on how much it costs per class then tell HR what the cost is based on this formula:

(2890+45)/12

That comes out to $244.58 a class. Of course, the more you do, the less it costs, but for HR purposes, that's your amount.

Thanks, that certainly will help. The other problem I am trying to get around is we are supposed to submit our reimbursement request PRIOR to starting classes. However, I am 9 days from starting and I am still not sure what classes I am going to be taking. I'm guessing this is going to take a lot of coordination, so I probably just need to get the right people involved and ask a lot of questions. When I get this ironed out, I will post here for reference in case anybody else runs across this in the future
  • Options
    utahjzz98 wrote: »
    Thanks, that certainly will help. The other problem I am trying to get around is we are supposed to submit our reimbursement request PRIOR to starting classes. However, I am 9 days from starting and I am still not sure what classes I am going to be taking. I'm guessing this is going to take a lot of coordination, so I probably just need to get the right people involved and ask a lot of questions. When I get this ironed out, I will post here for reference in case anybody else runs across this in the future

Just put down your initial 12-14 CUs. You know EWB2 (which is 2 CUs) is going to be a part of that. If your initial ends up being 13 or something, then replace the 12 in the above formula with a 13 or what have you.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    arvin2212arvin2212 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys,

I am interested in getting my degree from this college however, from the site, i noticed that they aren't accepting applicants from outside the USA which is a dead end for me since I am from Malaysia.

I would really like to join this college and continue my education there. Is there any way around it? My uncle is an American who is currently residing in Singapore. Is there anyway I could get myself enrolled in the college through him? (I know this sounds wrong but I hope you get the meaning behind it) :D
  • Options
    arvin2212 wrote: »
    Guys,

I am interested in getting my degree from this college however, from the site, i noticed that they aren't accepting applicants from outside the USA which is a dead end for me since I am from Malaysia.

I would really like to join this college and continue my education there. Is there any way around it? My uncle is an American who is currently residing in Singapore. Is there anyway I could get myself enrolled in the college through him? (I know this sounds wrong but I hope you get the meaning behind it) :D

Even if your uncle had an address in the US, you still have to show residency in the US. Which means you'd have to produce a student visa and fill out forms that are specific to International Students. There really isn't anyway around that (it's a US Federal thing and WGU for whatever reason can't accomodate international students. They barely can accomodate Americans (or their spouses) who are overseas doing military services, WGU have a number of those. Hopefully, the situation will change for international students, but I don't think WGU is there yet.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LET1 is now down. I did the pre-assessment for ORC1 last night. Hopefully my mentor will give me access and I can knock it out soon. I have the following to complete yet this semester:

AIV1 and HHT1
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177

(2890+45)/12

That was how I was working it out when I was trying to prepare my tuition reimbursement for my employer except I divided the total amount by 4 instead of 12 taking into account that the average course is 3 CU's at WGU and 3 credit hours at most universities, so that would mean the 12 CU total would be filled by 4 classes on average.

Of course this was all before I found out I am not eligible for tuition reimbursement until the start of a semester after my 1 year anniversary with the company (next March), and I'm on track to graduate in April so looks like WGU is all on me this time icon_cry.gif
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    That was how I was working it out when I was trying to prepare my tuition reimbursement for my employer except I divided the total amount by 4 instead of 12 taking into account that the average course is 3 CU's at WGU and 3 credit hours at most universities, so that would mean the 12 CU total would be filled by 4 classes on average.

The OP wanted to know how much WGU was by class. Since most people have to take 12 CUs (GI Bill folks have to take 18 CUs) you'd want want to use 12 to get the amount per "class." Some courses are 6 CUs, some are 9, but HR just needs something that makes sense to them. In the OP's case, since he can basically tell them that he has to take 12 CUsno matter what, he should use 12 CUs to get his price per class.

Then as a bonus, after he's done with his first term, he can state that he saved his company money by tacking on more courses (which he'd be doing anyway, whether he paid for it or not...my mentor would not let me not accelerate after I was done with my initial 12 CUs...he basically said "ok, so you gonna take that WFV1 class now?" LOL...I told him sure, I had an hour or so. :D
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    LET1 is now down. I did the pre-assessment for ORC1 last night. Hopefully my mentor will give me access and I can knock it out soon. I have the following to complete yet this semester:

AIV1 and HHT1

Congrats on Let1!! I am still waiting on the taskstream grading for task two.. How long did it take you to get through Let1?
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options

AIV1 and HHT1

I am reading for AIV1 as I type this. Unfortunately, I have VirtualBox updating and cloning to do...have to create three VMs (I'm just going to create one and clone the other two after I'm done applying SP1 for 2008 R2). Then I can go through the MS Press labs and such.

Remind me, did you switch back to NDM?