• thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Good job!
    Ok now how do I upgrade the IOS.
    Here is what I did:
    enable
    show flash
    delete flash:c2600-i-mz-blah blah
    archive bin /xtract tftp://192.168.0.12/IOS name.bin flash:
    from here I am getting the "^" by the word flash: It looks like this ^flash:

EDIT:
    I redid the command I use copy tftp: flash, and it seems to work.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    thehourman wrote: »
    Ok now how do I upgrade the IOS.
    Here is what I did:
    enable
    show flash
    delete flash:c2600-i-mz-blah blah
    archive bin /xtract tftp://192.168.0.12/IOS name.bin flash:
    from here I am getting the "^" by the word flash: It looks like this ^flash:

EDIT:
    I redid the command I use copy tftp: flash, and it seems to work.
    Nice one:D.

Solid gold experience. This is why I say everyone should have real equipment and not exclusively use Packet Tracer or GNS3. The first time you go through that fun and games should not be on a production live router!!
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Oops! Late post.
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    mikem2te wrote: »

Solid gold experience. This is why I say everyone should have real equipment and not exclusively use Packet Tracer or GNS3. The first time you go through that fun and games should not be on a production live router!!
    Yep, it was fun.

One question, when I executed show version command, it says that it is 12.4, but the boot something is 12.2. It think it was the bootrom.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Yup. You need real gear. Otherwise you will look like a complete dork when you are contracted to design an end to end network solution and when asked to upgrade the IOS on a 7206VXR you haven't got a clue! Your peers will raise eyebrows and the juniors in the department will be WTF and LOL. Credibility risk! And there are many other small things you need to be handy at, the sorts of things junior network engineers get handed. It usually involves real equipment.

I still have plenty of old gear at home. Always useful!
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138

Agreed, this is why I'm an advocate for REAL equipment, unless you really just can't afford them but I find that as no excuse since you can buy really cheap routers off eBay.

I honestly feel that GNS3 is somewhat useful for newbies, but better suited for experienced individuals because they already have the hands on and just need to put up a quick virtual lab to test something out....