Options

What to do? (Long Post sorry -_-)

etbjr182etbjr182 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys long time lurker here. I never really had to post a question due to the awesome people on here asking/answering my questions. Anywho I need some friendly advice based on my situation.

Basically long story short I'm trying to break into the I.T field. I've work a deadend, meaningless job at a bank (good college "job" not career) for the last 3 years. I've been studying for the A+ on and off for maybe a year but due to lack of funds haven't really been able to take the test. I got a 2nd job around September 2009 at a guys local Pc shop. I was pretty excited because I got a job during the crappy economy, I don't have to work at a big box store "selling" rather than repairing. But boy was I wrong. This guy was the worst boss I've ever had!!! He would always make sexual jokes/references all the time. He was a HUGE gossip queen. I couldn't count how many times I heard this story or that story over and over and over again. He told his next door businesses, people on the phone, friends, customers that came in etc. Then if I didn't laugh at his non funny sexual jokes he got offended and told me to lighten up. Don't get me wrong I'm all about relaxing joking around but it's different when I have 3 machines on the bench and I'm the only Pc tech and he's "soo busy" but has time to tell me what happend to him last night or goes on facebook or some online dating site (even though he lives with his girlfriend) and then he yells at me for not getting things done even though he was distracting me! He was sooo bipolar. He was always doing onsite/doctor offices while I stayed at the shop and handled the customers that came in. So I had no one to really help me when I got into a bind. I was always on google though icon_thumright.gif. I even took apart a laptop and replaced the screen by myself and I never worked on a laptop before.

Anywho after a month I caught him up ( he had a liver transplant 2 years ago and was overwhelmed with customers) but it died down quick. Some days we had no one come in the shop. He would always call the shop while he was out on service calls and apologize and say things will pick up. He would pay me late which I didn't mind because this was my 2nd job so I had a steady income from my main job. All in all his regulars were really happy with me, they would be like oh a new guy. And after I fixed their computer they would say wow your so good and nice and you got the job done the 1st time etc. But he would never praise me, of course.icon_rolleyes.gif Then one customer complained about me (turns out she lied and he believed her!) and it was his fault, he had me quote her on new memory but told me to put in used memory and turned out one of the sticks were bad. Anyways the list could go on and on how how crappy he was to work for but SORRY FOR THE RANT AND GETTING OFF TOPIC!!!LOL

So he had trouble with his unemployment taxes and called me a week before Christmas and told me I couldn't go to the shop till he gotten it straighten out. Which was fine because I need a break anyways. (Working over 60 hours a week) So the next day he calls me and tells me he will get it fixed soon and then asks me about the customer with the memory problem, then I tell him my side of the story and he tells me what she said about me. Then I don't hear from him. I had some family/friends come over from another country so I was busy with them for a couple weeks. Couple weeks later still no call, then a month, 2 months. I figured that was his lowlife way of firing me. Anyways I can't complain I absolutely hated going into work. He definitely put a sour taste in my mouth for I.T jobs.

So now present time and I've been apply for "entry level" IT jobs for couple weeks now and I'm getting pretty stressed out because I'm getting no responses back. I'm even applying to other states because my lease is up anyways so I have nothing really holding me back. Now my current job was bought out last year and now they are finally converting to the new employers. (Takes about a year to switch) And they are phasing out my department. Recently I found a posting by the new company for a "Call Center Technical Support Associate" I got pretty excited because this might be my foot in the door, and it might be easier because I already work for the company so I might have an advantage. So I applied and I probably won't hear back from them till next week I was told. Then I kept reading the job description over and over again and now I realize it might not be what I think it is.

Here is the job description:Internal Description: Line of Business: OPS - ELECTRONIC DELIVERY Job Category: Office / Administrative / Client Service Primary Purpose: Responsible for providing technical assistance in a "help desk" environment for OnLine clients who are experiencing problems, serving as an "escalated" resource for other OnLine Support Associates, mentoring other Associates in technical issues, and responding to branch offices that have questions about online banking. Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other Duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time. 1. Provides trouble-shooting resource for complex technical issues encountered by Online clients that are not documented. 2. Responds to escalated contacts from Online Support Associates (phone and e-mail), branch offices, and other departments. 3. Initiates phone contacts with clients, branch offices, and other departments. 4. Enhances personal and professional growth through participation in required and voluntary training and education. 5. Suggests changes to improve communications and business efficiencies. 6. Completes assigned special projects and reports. 7. Provides support from a remote location on an "on-call" basis. Required Skills and Competencies: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. 1. Associate's degree in computer sciences or equivalent education and related training 2. Basic keyboarding skills including typing proficiency of at least 20 wpm 3. Excellent oral communication skills. 4. Two years of client service experience.

And here is the pay: Base Salary Minimum :$29,620.00 Base Salary Midpoint: $37,025.00
What does base salary midpoint mean? I've never heard of that before. I also noticed if I search the job non internally it doesn't show pay.

I'm starting to get depressed because I wouldn't really be doing any I.T related besides password resets for the company website for employees. I'm pretty sure its assisting internal users (thank god!) but again if I get this job will the experience help me in the future? I mean it can't hurt but I need something that can help. I love how they quoted help desk environment. lol The pay is really really really good especially for the location. That's another thing I will be relocating from Orlando to some boonies in North Carolina. Not anywhere close to any major cities. And the closest place to live that is searchable on apartment websites is an hour away!

So what do you guys think? What is your take on the job, my situation, etc. Thanks again and sorry for the long post/rant. If you read through this you are the man! icon_cheers.gif

Edit: Cliffs
-Only have 3 month experience at crappy pc tech job
-Found internal job offer for "Tech support"
-Trying to get foot in door for I.T
-Job is in TINY TOWN in North Carolina close to nothing
-I am in Orlando
-Pay is pretty good
-Seems like I will only be doing password resets for internal users for company website, nothing else, no hardware only online banking.
-Should I take it despite lack of I.T exposure.
Currently studying for 70-640 :study:

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From reading in the job description you listed that looks more like tier 2 helpdesk where you would be taking escalated calls from online associates (tier 1) and if you get the job it may be a steep learning curve but you could probably do it.
    I know it may also be a big change for you to leave Orlando to go to North Carolina. I lived in Orlando for a little over a year while in the Navy (went to boot camp and Nuclear Power School there) and loved living there.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    From reading in the job description you listed that looks more like tier 2 helpdesk where you would be taking escalated calls from online associates (tier 1) and if you get the job it may be a steep learning curve but you could probably do it.
    I know it may also be a big change for you to leave Orlando to go to North Carolina. I lived in Orlando for a little over a year while in the Navy (went to boot camp and Nuclear Power School there) and loved living there.

Yea I did notice that too. Does seem like Tier 2 Help Desk. Well hey at least its "Help Desk"

Yea I was born and raised in Florida and have been itching to get out but I will surely miss the beach!! Orlando is ehhh, I came here to get away from parents + college. The jobs here are hard to come by especially entry level I.T. Plus crime is rising. But I do like the city life. Nothing beats going to food runs at 2, 3 4 am. Plus we got a few 24 hour places here too. hehe But hey can't count my chickens before they hatch right? icon_thumright.gif A foot in the door is a foot in the door.
  • Options
    historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing to consider is long term plans. Say two to three years down the road, you're ready to move on. If the town is small, it is quite likely the IT job market is too. This might require you to relocate. That might not be an issue for you, but it is something to consider. From my experience, most companies do give preference to qualified internal candidates, so you probably do have an edge in that aspect.

I too live in the Orlando area. The IT job market isn't nearly as bad as it was between 2001 and 2005/06. And definitely please do not base your opinion of the IT field off a bad experience at a mom and pop shop. Those are a dime a dozen, and bad ones more than that.

Have you tried Convergys? They are a large call center type place that handles customer support for companies such as Dell and HP. They have a work at home opportunites in addition to jobs at the site (Lake Mary). Maybe try a contracting company such as TekSystems. You could also try Best Buy or CompUSA. They have on-site computer repair (non-sales jobs) but I don't think they will hire without an A+ cert. Since you're in Orlando, is it safe to assume you went to UCF? If so, they have resources to help alumni find jobs. I realize these might not be glamorous jobs, but they might be the foot in the door you need. I also recommend finishing off your A+ - that just might be the nudge you need to get you in the door.
  • Options
    historian1974- Yea I totally agree. I do have to think long term. But I figured this job is a good foot in the door with it being internal and all. It is a big bank so possibly there is room to grow. Also I don't mind relocating because I'm not married and no kids so a lot more flexible. Ah yea I moved to Orlando in 2005 so I must have just missed that. But then again I was coming here for school in Biology lol.

Yea I know I shouldn't let the horrible experience stay with me, a good friend of mine had similar experience (in Orlando too) and now he had a couple jobs and now currently has a awesome job. So that gives me some hope lol.

I've heard of Convergys but have yet to try them. Wow sounds good! If this doesn't work out then I am definitely going to try them out. And yea once funds are available the A+ is the FIRST thing I do. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm also in the Orlando area. Try this website: www.employflorida.com. It helped me land the job I have now. It's basically like Indeed.com for the state of FL, but it seems to find jobs that even Indeed doesn't find. I also agree with historian1974. The Orlando area isn't that bad as far as the IT job market goes. I see frequent new postings for entry - mid level positions here.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Update: Got a phone interview for the North Carolina position Wednesday morning. It was funny the 1st thing the HR lady asked was how soon can you relocate lol. I was a little caught off guard and said maybe 2-3 weeks because I have to give my 2 weeks, but then realized and confirmed with my current manager since I am staying with the same company (but our department is being phased out) I can technically leave with his consent/approval without putting in 2 weeks. But yea I already wrote my list of questions to ask and hopefully it all goes well icon_lol.gif

I'm also in the Orlando area. Try this website: www.employflorida.com. It helped me land the job I have now. It's basically like Indeed.com for the state of FL, but it seems to find jobs that even Indeed doesn't find. I also agree with historian1974. The Orlando area isn't that bad as far as the IT job market goes. I see frequent new postings for entry - mid level positions here.

YESS!! Employflorida is pretty good. I had it bookmarked for like years but just recently began looking at it regularly. Yea I've definitely seen it pick up especially the last couple of months.
  • Options
    historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    etbjr182 wrote: »
    Update: Got a phone interview for the North Carolina position Wednesday morning. It was funny the 1st thing the HR lady asked was how soon can you relocate lol. I was a little caught off guard and said maybe 2-3 weeks because I have to give my 2 weeks, but then realized and confirmed with my current manager since I am staying with the same company (but our department is being phased out) I can technically leave with his consent/approval without putting in 2 weeks. But yea I already wrote my list of questions to ask and hopefully it all goes well icon_lol.gif

Congrats on the interview...don't forget to ask about relocation assistance!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on this. And as the above poster said ask about relocation help..they sometimes give it but almost never advertise it. If this job doesn't work out then you could see about the research triangle up there.
    Don't forget during your off time to visit some of the amusement parks around NC, if they're still there. Had a great time checking a bunch of them out on a few long weekends while in SC in the Navy.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Wow forgot how much I hated/sucked at interviews lol. Been too long. I made her chuckle quite a few times which hopefully is good. But I definitely stumbled with a few questions. icon_redface.gif But all in all I would say it went ok. They said they are still interviewing and would let me know.

No relocation assistance available for that position.icon_cry.gif But if it comes down to it I would take it regardless. Just have to sell what I can't fit into my car. It turns out its assisting EXTERNAL users...this whole time I thought it was internal lol. But yea she said there is a lot of room to grow after 18 months as long as my work quality and attendance is good I can advance to any department. But when it comes down to it, it is a foot in the door and experience which is the big important picture. And like I said I am not getting any other offers and I had to send out at least 30 applications. Well I'll keep you guys updated!!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have experience working in banks, why not apply for bank IT jobs? Every bank or credit union has an IT staff. The fact that you understand banking culture is a big plus. Banking people like to hire other banking people because they "get it."
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    If you have experience working in banks, why not apply for bank IT jobs? Every bank or credit union has an IT staff. The fact that you understand banking culture is a big plus. Banking people like to hire other banking people because they "get it."

Yea that is a great idea. I've thought the same things since I have a "background" in the banking field I would have somewhat of an advantage. But when I searched for jobs at the major banks and local credit unions here in Orlando, there weren't any postings for entry level. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keep looking. The banking world isn't the best one to be in at the moment, but that will (hopefully) improve over time.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    etbjr182 wrote: »
    Yea that is a great idea. I've thought the same things since I have a "background" in the banking field I would have somewhat of an advantage. But when I searched for jobs at the major banks and local credit unions here in Orlando, there weren't any postings for entry level. icon_cry.gif

Did you interact with the IT staff of the bank you were at very frequently? If so, you can always see if they know of any positions. People in the banking biz always talk to each other. If you didn't have a great relationship with IT perhaps your former manager may have an in for you somewhere else. Again, most banks and CU's talk to each other.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Did you interact with the IT staff of the bank you were at very frequently? If so, you can always see if they know of any positions. People in the banking biz always talk to each other. If you didn't have a great relationship with IT perhaps your former manager may have an in for you somewhere else. Again, most banks and CU's talk to each other.

Actually the position I had a phone interview was with same company I am currently at. I was with Colonial Bank but then they went under and got bought out by BB&T. So the position I applied for was through BB&T. I know the one IT guy who I believe was directly from IBM, from what I was told. But yea I don't see him very often though.