Options

How hard is it for people with sub-par intellects to get jobs in this field.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ron BrandtRon Brandt Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Allow me explain my background.

- I couldn't comprehend material at 12
    -I struggled with basic math at age 12
    -I love learning about computers

So, overall I am a stupid person. I also have aspergers(not a good combo).I have Aspergers friends who have atempted degrees such as Computer Science and failed.

I am interested in IT as I enjoy learning about technology and how it works. However, I don't feel I would be able to keep up with all the rapid updates within the field. However, it just seems what you guys do is incredibly cool. I played around with hmtl and javascript(joke languages). Didn't have too much trouble and I had fun

From browsing these forums, it appears that I would be competing against a lot of relatively intelligent people as well making it very difficult to get a position in this field.
    Have you ever taken a real IQ test? There are many people that have IQ's higher than 140 with what you have described.That's highly intelligent according to MENSA
    Start by doing some entry level certs and take it from there.

A friend of mine has a computer science degree and failed A+. He has no intentions of re-writing it.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Not true, if a user called in and said I don't have internet. A good IT person would be able to use their communication skills to fix the problem from their desk. A bad IT person would need to come to the users desk to plug the network cable back in.

Plus, in todays world it is often impossible to travel to the users desk. Their desk could be located across the country, or even on the other side of the world.

Its not about whether or not it is a simple fix. I can walk non-IT people through basically anything over the phone. Its about the personal connection. If its possible to go to someones desk to help them, it makes them feel like you care and that your on there side.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I were you I would look into doing a vocational type program at a local community or technical school. You can learn the basics and even take some classes to try to get the A+ certification. At the end of the program (anywhere from 6,9, to 12 months) you will graduate and can put it on your resume. From there, check out a local ISP. Many smaller ISP's have entry level tech support folks who answer calls, open tickets and troubleshoot problems over the phone. You could do this for a year or two then attempt to get a helpdesk job. Don't ever feel you are "not smart enough" for anything. You can do anything as long as you apply yourself and are motivated.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the number of stupid people I've encountered in upper management is any indicator, I'd say you have a bright future!

Just kidding :) As others have said, I think you are definitely not giving yourself enough credit. If you want to pursue a degree, go for it. I always would recommend that if you are paying your own way to look at the local community college and see if you can transfer your credits to a university after you get your associates degree if you are in the US (and maybe elsewhere too)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Only read OP..

Stupid is a state of mind. You can learn anything you want and achieve anything you want simply putting in the effort to achieve it. It starts with a goal and dedication.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    garv221 wrote: »
    Only read OP..

Stupid is a state of mind. You can learn anything you want and achieve anything you want simply putting in the effort to achieve it. It starts with a goal and dedication.

Althoug in many ways I actulay agree with that statment, its actulay rubbish... Different people are limited to what they can do, and although in many cases stupidity can be atribituted to lack of hard wiork, this is not always the case. (ask some one with learning difficulities)

As they say its foolish to run before you can walk. setting you goals to high can just lead to depression when you fail to achive them. you climb a ladder step by step and you should aproach your career in the same way, one step at a time, your be suprised how quickly you get of the ground and how much higher you can climb than you first thought.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Althoug in many ways I actulay agree with that statment, its actulay rubbish... Different people are limited to what they can do, and although in many cases stupidity can be atribituted to lack of hard wiork, this is not always the case. (ask some one with learning difficulities)

As they say its foolish to run before you can walk. setting you goals to high can just lead to depression when you fail to achive them. you climb a ladder step by step and you should aproach your career in the same way, one step at a time, your be suprised how quickly you get of the ground and how much higher you can climb than you first thought.

Assuming someone does not have a disability, one can do whatever they want. There is no reason why if I decide I want to become a doctor tomorrow that I could not achieve that.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Very motivating post. Trust me my work ethic is legendary....I really doubt you will find anyone who can work as hard as me...

Anyway, my point is that I can work really really really hard....I have a good additude too.

I'm not reading all of the posts in this thread, but I found this one. If this is true, then you're golden. I would say 98% of being successful anywhere in IT is work ethic and taking your licks, then coming back.

Being EXTREMELY successful and offering true value to a company, and thus garnering a large salary, takes a different mixture. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a degree in history. Recently I caught up with two high school friends I havent seen in over twenty years. We were in the same maths class. Both have PhDs. One is a Project Manager working for an IT firm. The other is an IT Manager for a National Park. Who knows how many other people I went to school with now work in IT. Most people it seems.
  • Options
    cooldudemanuscooldudemanus Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man, I didnt know this thread was still going strong.

Update: I signed up for my first college course...

Sociology

Thought I should take something easy to start. Wish me luck
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man, I didnt know this thread was still going strong.

Update: I signed up for my first college course...

Sociology

Thought I should take something easy to start. Wish me luck

Sociology is good stuff if you in to that type of thing. A former friend of mine has a AS in Sociology. I have taken a HS and a college course in Sociology and I thought it was interesting. I wouldn't want to be a sociologist though lol.
  • Options
    cooldudemanuscooldudemanus Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Sociology is good stuff if you in to that type of thing. A former friend of mine has a AS in Sociology. I have taken a HS and a college course in Sociology and I thought it was interesting. I wouldn't want to be a sociologist though lol.

Well, it's a general class and I have narrowed down what I want to do a LOT.

It's either IT or medical.

This will give me some time to pass a cert or two and see if I can handle IT.

Off topic:
    I want to add to this thread that if anyone here happens to get an austic/asperger kid that they need to tell their kid that he is awesome on a daily basis!!! I hate to blame my parents. However, I think part of my low self-esteem is attributed to them.
  • Options
    garv221 wrote: »
    Assuming someone does not have a disability, one can do whatever they want. There is no reason why if I decide I want to become a doctor tomorrow that I could not achieve that.

Every one has a disability, just most people don't relise it.

Thinks like ADD, Dysleixc, autisum, many learning problems are progressive conditions, there is no line between thoses who have and have not. some people have minds made to rember facts, (20,000 digits of pie) others cant rember what they had for lunch today, and most of us are some where inbetween, but we all have different limits. And an experment showed last year that training you bring in one area will not give much improvment. A person who has a natural talent in an area will always out preform some one else with a lower natural tallent, trying to train there mind

Just like great artests and writers and scientsts, often have issues in other areas (think Einstine here) different people have different skill strenths and weaknesses.

Einstine could never have been a doctor no mater how hard he tried, he did not have the mind of a doctor, he had a mind that was amazing for reasoning and imagining stuff, but he had a terible mind for remembering facts.

I like the quote,

No one can be the best at everything, but anyone can be the best at something. Finding that something is what brings success.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I work in the IT field and my girlfriend thinks I'm an idiot so it must be easy enough. :)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    I work in the IT field and my girlfriend thinks I'm an idiot so it must be easy enough. :)

Mine thinks I'm a genious, women hey.. easly fooled