Options

Pay raises, ask or else....

2»

Comments

• Options
    falcon101falcon101 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This thread hits so close to home for me since I have asked for my raise about 2 week ago with not response form the "decision makers" yet. A quick run down on me...

Thanks for the venting opportunity.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it also boils down to people not being confident enough in themselves to approach HR or management about this.

This is the best thing to remember be confident in your abilities and know when to approach a company. If a company is hurting and not making money do not approach anyone about raise because might get the can. I actually was not getting paid on time at one place and was about to leave when all of a sudden I had heard that the company was being bought and I wanted another month and when company got bought I knew this other company had money I show them my certifications and background and asked for 8 % increase and got it.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It just depends on your situation. If you're a garbage employee who the company would like to see gone anyway, using the excuse of "someone else will pay me more" will usually just firmly place a foot on your ass and pointed towards the door. It's also lying if you don't have a legit backup plan. It's like telling your girlfriend that if she doesn't do something in bed that you'll just hook up with someone else. Then you wind up lonely and looking at tentacle **** hentai like Dynamik.

The time-tested best way to get a raise is to show your bosses the skill and competency which should demand more money. When I started at the company where I am now I was low-balled but didn't really have any security experience and it was more than I was making throwing pizzas so I took the job. I only got the job because I had some Cisco certs and none of the other candidates had any certs at all. About six months in one of our guys left to go to a new company and tried to get me to go with him, so I expressed that to my bosses. It wasn't to say "hey you should start paying me because _______ just left and has a job for me" but just to let them know that our former employees were actively shopping our existing ones. The result was a nearly 40% raise and I wasn't even looking for money. It turned out that my performance had indicated to my management that I'd been low-balled and they were fairly placing me where I should have been. I was putting out twice or three times the work output of the next closest engineer so it was a no-brainer for my management.

The point being, if you work hard and are worth the money most reasonable managers won't have a problem making sure you're adequately compensated. In the end you are only worth the amount of value you provide to the company. If you put out Kia work you shouldn't expect Mercedes pay. If you're not getting compensated don't just lie to your boss and say someone is shopping your services for a higher rate, actively market yourself. You may think you're worth a certain amount but until someone has expressed to you that they're willing to pay that amount you're only speculating.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/