Options

What else do I need for CCNP Lab

13»

Comments

• Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nuul wrote: »
    Bill and I were talking about this yesterday over IM yesterday actually. I was considering going back and getting my CCNA:Security as well. The reason being that at interviews I'm getting knocked out of consideration because of my lack of firewall experience. I can follow a config and figure out what it's doing for the most part, but I'm not expert. Unfortunately, all the jobs I've gone for want you to be a Master Jedi for everything under the sun. So, my thinking was study for the CCNA:Security and knock that out to get the fundamentals of down so I can be more confident about my abilities. Once I get a better job, I can afford to take the CCIE lab more than once.

True. But, from what my understanding is that CCNA:S does not really teach you all that much about firewall per se. That might be more of a CCSP thing than CCNA:S. Then again, I don't really know. I never really looked at CCNA:S and CCSP's curriculum.

Not having a high paying job was one of the reasons why I consider steering away from CCIE, for now. For whatever reason, my boss does not want to pay for CCIE training but will pay for other Cisco training that is almost the same price. Oh well, I guess I'll pick another one.

Good luck on whatever you guys decide. But, if I had a lot of extra money to pay for CCIE training, routers & switches (to finally complete my lab), lab exam and etc I would definitely do it. I know for sure that I'll be able to find a company that would value those five-digit number even though I don't have experience dealing with other technologies.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Solid acquisition. That should be good enough for your entire CCNP.

The only things the 3550 does NOT support are:

dhcp snooping
    DAI
    pvlans
    IPv6

I might be forgetting some but other than that you should be able to rock out.

I'm pretty 3550s do dhcp snooping and DAI.
    my 3550s also have all the ipv6 commands but cant ping anything except themselves
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Nuul wrote: »
    The reason being that at interviews I'm getting knocked out of consideration because of my lack of firewall experience.

I was thinking the same thing. Firewall experience is pretty much essential, unfortunately CCNA:S isn't going to help much there.

I'm planning to just buy an ASA and learn at my own pace, no certs. CCSP is pretty much out of the question at this stage, being 5 exams away - its a long road to follow.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    zerglings wrote: »
    True. But, from what my understanding is that CCNA:S does not really teach you all that much about firewall per se. That might be more of a CCSP thing than CCNA:S. Then again, I don't really know. I never really looked at CCNA:S and CCSP's curriculum.

Not having a high paying job was one of the reasons why I consider steering away from CCIE, for now. For whatever reason, my boss does not want to pay for CCIE training but will pay for other Cisco training that is almost the same price. Oh well, I guess I'll pick another one.

Good luck on whatever you guys decide. But, if I had a lot of extra money to pay for CCIE training, routers & switches (to finally complete my lab), lab exam and etc I would definitely do it. I know for sure that I'll be able to find a company that would value those five-digit number even though I don't have experience dealing with other technologies.

CCNA Security is all about router based firewalls, CBAC, zone-based, and nothing about ASA type firewalls. You don't configure any during the study of them, you learn a little bit about them, but that's where it ends. CCNA Security is all SDM and other basic security practices. CCSP is where you're going to get into the ASA.