Options

Cable modem config question

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
OK so my ISP (TW) is using Docsis 1 but plans to go to Docsis 3 in the new few months. I want to use my cisco 1721 is my head end router and connect everything to it. I do have a static IP if that makes a big difference. I want to know if A: Anyone is doing anything like this? B:If i should get something like a hwic cable d3 or something...

yes I have googled lol.

Comments

• Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I have a 3640 I use as my head router from time to time. I just plug my cable modem into the router. Most ISPs are pretty locked down anyways so having full control over your modem isn't worth it.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    A 1721 can't take a HWIC and Cisco don't make a DOCSIS 3.0 HWIC anyway.
  • Options
    I have a 3640 I use as my head router from time to time. I just plug my cable modem into the router. Most ISPs are pretty locked down anyways so having full control over your modem isn't worth it.

You think that would be better? I could just put my IP information into f0 and set it as the outside.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    A 1721 can't take a HWIC and Cisco don't make a DOCSIS 3.0 HWIC anyway.

Yea I just noticed that. I would have to get something an 800 series router.

Why no Docsis 3.0 HWIC? icon_sad.gif oh well. Guess I have no choice in this matter.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I use a 3725 at home, it's connect to Brighthouse cable. I've never considered buying a cable WIC as they're far too expensive and all I'd really gain is a tad more control over QoS. I use an FE port and NAT to some statics.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I use a 3725 at home, it's connect to Brighthouse cable. I've never considered buying a cable WIC as they're far too expensive and all I'd really gain is a tad more control over QoS. I use an FE port and NAT to some statics.

This looks like a pretty versatile router, I just looked it up.

What's your thoughts on it? Has it come in handy for your labs?

Also, is it loud? It looks pretty beefy....
  • Options

As did I. I am interested as well.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    As did I. I am interested as well.

What's your lab setup at home?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505

It is a more powerful version of the 3600 series. The 3725 is a 2 NM 3660. The 2691 is like a 1 NM and slower 3725. You're still stuck with 12.4.15T though since the 3700s got discontinued at the same time as the 2600XMs.
  • Options
    What's your lab setup at home?

[Cable Modem] > [Linksys] > [2950]
    ^
    [2950] > [1721]> [1721] > [1721]

^
    [Severs]
    [desktop and laptop]

This probably doesn't make sense but I have a linksys connected to my cable modem. There is a 2950 directly connected to it and my 1721s plug into my 2950. I also have another 2950 plug into is as well. My home network sits off of that one, I'd like to get rid of the 1721s and have the linksys as an access point instead of my "router". I'd like to get 2 more switches one 35X0 and one 29XX switch. I would like to use for studies and use the 29XX as my lan switch for my network. I wont to replace the 1721s with anything that will be rackable and will give me more space on my desk.
  • Options
    [Cable Modem] > [Linksys] > [2950]
    ^
    [2950] > [1721]> [1721] > [1721]

^
    [Severs]
    [desktop and laptop]

This probably doesn't make sense but I have a linksys connected to my cable modem. There is a 2950 directly connected to it and my 1721s plug into my 2950. I also have another 2950 plug into is as well. My home network sits off of that one, I'd like to get rid of the 1721s and have the linksys as an access point instead of my "router". I'd like to get 2 more switches one 35X0 and one 29XX switch. I would like to use for studies and use the 29XX as my lan switch for my network. I wont to replace the 1721s with anything that will be rackable and will give me more space on my desk.

Luckily my verizon wireless router is also my modem so I only have one device. But I had this problem when I had cable where I had a cable modem plugged into my linksys wireless. Once I got FIOS, I didn't need the linksys anymore...

what kind of 29XX switches are you looking for?
  • Options

I don't lab with it. It's my edge router at home, it does everything I need. I run DMVPN and static GRE tunnels with some friends (and my mom). I have a 16 port ESW in it too, which I've been using since I pulled my 3560G out (too much power, heat, no real need for it, etc). It does lots of phones, tons of throughput and is generally just an awesome router.

It's not loud, IMO. I had a 2801 in its place, that thing sounded like an F16.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    It is a more powerful version of the 3600 series. The 3725 is a 2 NM 3660. The 2691 is like a 1 NM and slower 3725. You're still stuck with 12.4.15T though since the 3700s got discontinued at the same time as the 2600XMs.

Thanks for the info, even more router models I must now look up!! :D
  • Options
    I don't lab with it. It's my edge router at home, it does everything I need. I run DMVPN and static GRE tunnels with some friends (and my mom). I have a 16 port ESW in it too, which I've been using since I pulled my 3560G out (too much power, heat, no real need for it, etc). It does lots of phones, tons of throughput and is generally just an awesome router.

It's not loud, IMO. I had a 2801 in its place, that thing sounded like an F16.

Ok, I assume the "16 port ESW" doesn't do things like PVLANS like the 3560 does correct? You're just using simply for ethernet ports?

My 3620 isn't loud "sometimes" but when I create a VPN, it must up the ante on the CPU because then a second fan kicks in...and yes, that sounds like a jet is taking off....
  • Options
    what kind of 29XX switches are you looking for?

Maybe a 2950 or something.
  • Options
    Maybe a 2950 or something.

Ok just stay away from the 2900XL series...
  • Options
    Ok, I assume the "16 port ESW" doesn't do things like PVLANS like the 3560 does correct? You're just using simply for ethernet ports?

My 3620 isn't loud "sometimes" but when I create a VPN, it must up the ante on the CPU because then a second fan kicks in...and yes, that sounds like a jet is taking off....

It does very basic switching. It can do VLANs and trunk to my ESX server, which is pretty much all the switching I need.

I don't think I'd recommend this as a lab router, if that's what you're asking. There are cheaper options available.
  • Options

I don't think I'd recommend this as a lab router, if that's what you're asking. There are cheaper options available.

Yes, I was curious if this would be a good lab router. I was already looking it up on eBay....

I am interested in that module though. "NM-16ESW"

I see they go for about $200-$300 on eBay. It seems like a pretty fun module to throw into a 2800 series router....
  • Options
    Ok just stay away from the 2900XL series...

For a simple home switch it wouldn't be too bad....
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the info, even more router models I must now look up!! :D
    I use my 3745 with a Cisco NME-16ES-1G-P (and some other NMs and AIM-VPN) as my edge router -- a couple more slots and a little more horsepower than the 3725. And that NME runs the 3750 switch code :D (but I'm just running the IPBase it came with).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use two hacked Scientific Atlanta web stars (I've got two cable drops) and have them hooked up to a pfSense firewall. I'm not stealing the interwebs, I just like having the granular control of Haxorware, similar to how someone may prefer DDWRT on their Linksys CPE. Prior to my current config I had one webstar hooked up to a 3560.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I use my 3745 with a Cisco NME-16ES-1G-P (and some other NMs and AIM-VPN) as my edge router -- a couple more slots and a little more horsepower than the 3725. And that NME runs the 3750 switch code :D (but I'm just running the IPBase it came with).

Had to show me up, didn't you? Hahah. I remember those NMEs being super expensive, I think I'll look them up again though.

Edit: Mike, How does that module work? Is it anything like a hybrid 6500? You're saying the card runs its own code?
  • Options
    And that NME runs the 3750 switch code :D (but I'm just running the IPBase it came with).

HOLLA!!!!!! Now, let's make sure the price doesn't make me cry when I look it up on eBay....
  • Options
    HOLLA!!!!!! Now, let's make sure the price doesn't make me cry when I look it up on eBay....

Lots of monies, lol. More than I'll spend.
  • Options
    My research shows that you can save 50% off the 3750 (if you're just looking for 3750 functionality) by purchasing the module and router. Check it out!

NME-16ES-1G-P $477

Cisco NME-16ES-1G-P - NEW - Genuine - eBay (item 260615319641 end time Jun-13-10 07:14:57 PDT)

3745 Router - $325

Cisco 3745 Router Upg'd 512D/128F 2x FE 3700 CISCO3745 - eBay (item 170495412999 end time Jul-04-10 14:01:07 PDT)

Total $802

You can find various 3750's on ebay, but below are the average prices...

Cisco 3750 - $1500-$2000
  • Options
    You're saying the card runs its own code?
    Yep -- Pitviper turned me on to it over in the CCVP forum:
    pitviper wrote: »
    Would love to add a 3750 but since the NME-16ES actually runs the full 3750 EMI IOS, I’m holding off until the prices come down a tad.

I thought we had another discussion about the switch modules somewhere, but I can't find it right now.
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I use two hacked Scientific Atlanta web stars (I've got two cable drops) and have them hooked up to a pfSense firewall. I'm not stealing the interwebs, I just like having the granular control of Haxorware, similar to how someone may prefer DDWRT on their Linksys CPE. Prior to my current config I had one webstar hooked up to a 3560.

So do you use one for uploading/downloading or are you doing something else entirely?
  • Options
    My research shows that you can save 50% off the 3750 (if you're just looking for 3750 functionality) by purchasing the module and router. Check it out!
    Check out table 7 for models & supported routers -- Cisco EtherSwitch Service Modules for Cisco Integrated Services Routers [Cisco 3800 Series Integrated Services Routers] - Cisco Systems

And table 10 tells you how many you can put in a router (depending on model). You can put 1 in a 2691 and 2 in a 3725/3745.....
  • Options
    Check out table 7 for models & supported routers -- Cisco EtherSwitch Service Modules for Cisco Integrated Services Routers [Cisco 3800 Series Integrated Services Routers] - Cisco Systems

And table 10 tells you how many you can put in a router (depending on model). You can put 1 in a 2691 and 2 in a 3725/3745.....

Oh my! Then it is even cheaper! I revise my research!!!

NME-16ES-1G-P $477

Cisco NME-16ES-1G-P - NEW - Genuine - eBay (item 260615319641 end time Jun-13-10 07:14:57 PDT)

2691 Router - $200

Cisco 2691 Router 32F/128D Free Ship 12.4 CCNP CCIE LAB - eBay (item 150384633192 end time Jun-26-10 19:10:09 PDT)

Total $602
  • Options
    Oh, look at the fine print regarding the 2900 series router...

Requires the SM-NM-ADPTR adapter card in order to be inserted into the Cisco 2900 Series and Cisco 3900 Series Routers