Options

Cable modem config question

2»

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Edit: Mike, How does that module work?
    You get a new gigabit port on the router when you install the switch module -- and then use that with the service-module command to access the switch.

EtherSwitch Service Module (ES) Configuration Example - Cisco Systems

es-mod-config2.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Oh, look at the fine print regarding the 2900 series router...
    If you can afford a 2900 series router you can afford the adapter -- or real 3750 switches icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Total $602
    And what's the price with 2 of those bad boys in a 3725? How does that compare to 2 3750s or 2 cheaper 8 port 3560s?

Hey -- don't run up the prices. I'll still probably add another one to my 3745 someday.....
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If you can afford a 2900 series router you can afford the adapter -- or real 3750 switches icon_lol.gif

Looks like that adapter goes for about $200 on ebay.

Either way, the combination of the router, module and adapter is still much cheaper than just the 3750!!!!

I'm interested in this for PVLAN purposes and fast-etherchannel, at least I hope fastetherchannel is possible...
  • Options
    I thought we had another discussion about the switch modules somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

Here we go -- one over in the CCIE Forum....
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/48181-nme-switch-module-vs-3750-a.html

And pitviper mentioned the NME-16ES modules again in a CCNA:Voice post....
    pitviper wrote: »
    But yeah, 3560s are really nice - I'm going to snag one after I'm done with the CCVP but for now 3550s and an NME-16ES-1G-P w/3750 IP services IOS are just fine :)
    .... but luckily no one noticed and drove up the prices before I got mine icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Either way, the combination of the router, module and adapter is still much cheaper than just the 3750!!!!
    The 2900 & 3900 routers that need that adapter are the NEW ISR2 routers.... exactly how cheap are you finding them on eBay? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    So do you use one for uploading/downloading or are you doing something else entirely?

Bonded 25/2 meg cable modems. I effectively have 50 megs download and 4 megs up. I could probably call some buddies at cox to get my upload increased but that would just be greedy. I'm using pfSense because it will load balance by default with almost no configuration. I could theoretically expand my setup to 4 total modems (I have two more modems and the required ports on my firewall) but don't feel like running two more drops from the pedestal and I also don't need that much bandwidth. I've got a dedicated server with unlimited disk space and bandwidth hosted at a colo so not necessary.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    The 2900 & 3900 routers that need that adapter are the NEW ISR2 routers.... exactly how cheap are you finding them on eBay? icon_scratch.gif

ohhhhh!!! My bad, I looked it up wrong, got a little dyslexic there with the model numbers.....

icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Bonded 25/2 meg cable modems. I effectively have 50 megs download and 4 megs up. I could probably call some buddies at cox to get my upload increased but that would just be greedy. I'm using pfSense because it will load balance by default with almost no configuration. I could theoretically expand my setup to 4 total modems (I have two more modems and the required ports on my firewall) but don't feel like running two more drops from the pedestal and I also don't need that much bandwidth. I've got a dedicated server with unlimited disk space and bandwidth hosted at a colo so not necessary.

See if Cox will run BGP with you.icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I had a full BGP feed off my ISP at one point but got them to turn it off because it was hammering my DSL. If FTTC comes out in my area then maybe I'll get it turned back on...
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    I had a full BGP feed off my ISP at one point but got them to turn it off because it was hammering my DSL. If FTTC comes out in my area then maybe I'll get it turned back on...

Would this not be an excellent way to learn BGP without messing up any production networks?
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Would this not be an excellent way to learn BGP without messing up any production networks?

Better to mess up the internet instead? Hahaha. (Though this shouldn't be possible if the SP isn't retarded)

Tiersten, how did you talk them into running BGP on a residential circuit? I'm assuming you were using a private AS and don't own one yourself... right? It'd be pretty damn cool if you had one, and some of your own space though, lol.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□

I don't have any hardware that would support a full routing table. I'd have to build a linux router to come close. I've thought about it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Tiersten, how did you talk them into running BGP on a residential circuit? I'm assuming you were using a private AS and don't own one yourself... right? It'd be pretty damn cool if you had one, and some of your own space though, lol.
    It was just a private AS off their Quagga box. The ISP I use is actually pretty technical orientated and will let you configure most things or configure it on your behalf. They offer things like native IPv6 over DSL.

I've got a netblock allocated to myself but as I'm not multihomed I can't get a real public AS number.
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    tiersten wrote: »
    It was just a private AS off their Quagga box. The ISP I use is actually pretty technical orientated and will let you configure most things or configure it on your behalf. They offer things like native IPv6 over DSL.

I've got a netblock allocated to myself but as I'm not multihomed I can't get a real public AS number.

ARIN will let you get an AS number if you aren't multihomed, you just have to explain your "special routing needs". It's even easier to pry an AS number out if you use a 32-bit ASN.
  • Options
    ARIN will let you get an AS number if you aren't multihomed, you just have to explain your "special routing needs". It's even easier to pry an AS number out if you use a 32-bit ASN.
    Yeah but the easiest way is to be multihomed :) Also I'd need to get it from RIPE NCC and not ARIN.

"Because I want to play around with BGP" is probably not sufficient!