Options

Do you hang your certs at work?

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't hang my certifications but I think if others do it that's fine.

I just have a weird feeling when people put their certs in their signature. I just don't know if that's really necessary.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    Depends on the environment. I would never do it at my company. Doubt I would do it elsewhere... but if I were in a situation where appearances were more important than ability and results, I might would hang the more advanced certs.

I would hang some in my office, but I like just having the internal phone directory and my PC Connection calendar hanging on the cube wall. The CSRs here all have some type of certificates from training or Toastmasters. One lady here has been married so many times that all of her certificates have a different last name! I may hang some up if I ever get a real office (I share my office with the PBX and some servers).
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have my MCSE, MCITP EA and MCIPT DBA hanging (copies). These are my highest levels that pertain to my job. I would probably not have them hanging if I shared my office with other IT types. I also have a map of our ERP's database schema and an Excel chart showing the typical work day's load based on perfmon counters for my primary database server.
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    man the way I look at it is your in IT and it's an IT certificate.....there's nothing wrong with it. Now if your doing it out of cockiness thats one thing but if your hanging it because you worked so hard for it and its in your field of work then whats wrong with it? Where I work, I go into all these offices and cubes and all these engineers and architects have up all of their certs and degrees, so it made me ponder why doesn't IT folks hang up theres? We are just as professional as engineers and the like and they, almost like it is something their supposed to do, gladly and proudly hang up their degrees and certs. Now don't get me wrong, if no one else is doing it in your department or company, then I wouldn't. To be honest with you, I have always secretly wanted to hang up my degree, no place I have ever worked had anyone with their degrees up but here all these engineers have their degrees up so I just put mine up this week. Why not? I earned the SOB and would like that when these people come into my office its a gentle reminder of hey, I am a proffesional too. Not that, that really matters but sometimes I think people have a false sterotype in their head of an IT worker, lol
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it is simply because in IT experience is what really matters. No one cares if you have all the degrees and certifications in the world. Its all about what you can do. In other fields degrees are a necessity so therefore probably more likely to be hung up and looked upon highly. At least thats my guess.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would, but then I wouldn't have any place to hang all my Firemen calendars icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I had a CISSP, MCSE, GIAC, etc. I probably would hang it up.
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I never have. My certs are filed away. I do however list my certs on my business card and email signature. I don't want to come off as the cocky IT guy that knows everything and talks over everybody's head. I'm a one-man IT department, and nobody would care or understand what I have anyway besides my bosses. They know I rock by the awesome service I give them.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I just carry all of them around with me in an accordian folder and hold them up to random people's faces.

Honestly though, I have no desire to hang them. The paper really doesnt mean much to me.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    brad- wrote: »
    I just carry all of them around with me in an accordian folder and hold them up to random people's faces.

Honestly though, I have no desire to hang them. The paper really doesnt mean much to me.

I agree, it was more the satisfaction of passing the test and the knowledge gained.
  • Options
    Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it is simply because in IT experience is what really matters. No one cares if you have all the degrees and certifications in the world.

I don't get why people keep saying this on this particular forum. Is it the lack of understanding or knowledge of obtaining a job at a large corporation? Or does no one here care for a job in engineering or developing?

You can have all the experience in the world but still will only support technology.

It would be very difficult for you to obtain an engineering or developing job with just networking, security or help desk experience.

I feel like 99% of people on this forum think Master degrees are pointless in this field. But no one ever specifics that a Masters might be pointless if you are only supporting technology for a company.

I also find it odd that people get certified but don't care for their certificate or get a degree but don't care for their diploma. Are you that ashamed of them? Coming from a for-profit school or not being a "professional" certification. Or are you simply just too cool? icon_cool.gif
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • Options
    Warsh1p wrote: »
    I don't get why people keep saying this on this particular forum. Is it the lack of understanding or knowledge of obtaining a job at a large corporation? Or does no one here care for a job in engineering or developing?

You can have all the experience in the world but still will only support technology.

It would be very difficult for you to obtain an engineering or developing job with just networking, security or help desk experience.

I feel like 99% of people on this forum think Master degrees are pointless in this field. But no one ever specifics that a Masters might be pointless if you are only supporting technology for a company.

I also find it odd that people get certified but don't care for their certificate or get a degree but don't care for their diploma. Are you that ashamed of them? Coming from a for-profit school or not being a "professional" certification. Or are you simply just too cool? icon_cool.gif

Its probably because the people on this forum are mostly operators. I won't speak for everyone else here, but I have no intent on ever being a developer. In the field I work in (network engineering for service providers) a masters degree isn't something that is really going to help you. No one really cares if you went to college for four years doing completely unrelated work. All that matters is that you understand the technology and can prove that you can do the work. Writing a paper in MLA format isn't going to help you at 2 A.M when you have 200 customers down and you need to engineer and alternate solution for them.

As far as people not caring for the certification, that all comes down to personal preference. I'm proud that I have my certifications but just don't see the need to show them off. I use them as a tool to help my career and thats it. Its not a bragging contest for me. I do admit I'd brag a little if I got my CCIE though ;)
  • Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In the field I work in (network engineering for service providers) a masters degree isn't something that is really going to help you. No one really cares if you went to college for four years doing completely unrelated work. All that matters is that you understand the technology and can prove that you can do the work. Writing a paper in MLA format isn't going to help you at 2 A.M when you have 200 customers down and you need to engineer and alternate solution for them.

I am also in network engineering, but I don't want to be at this level forever. My degree and working towards a masters will ensure that opportunities for advancement into management happen. If you want to be the go-to operator forever, more power too you, but many want more.

Back to studying.... icon_study.gif
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Writing a paper in MLA format isn't going to help you at 2 A.M when you have 200 customers down and you need to engineer and alternate solution for them.

Don't forget to cite your sources icon_lol.gif

In my opinion, a masters degree in our field is only going to be useful for someone at the business management level like a CIO.
  • Options
    Cherper wrote: »
    I am also in network engineering, but I don't want to be at this level forever. My degree and working towards a masters will ensure that opportunities for advancement into management happen. If you want to be the go-to operator forever, more power too you, but many want more.

Back to studying.... icon_study.gif

Thats my point. If you want to be a manager or on the business side of the house then it will help you. If you want to stay on the technical side then a masters isn't of too much use to you.
  • Options

Have you never heard of Network Engineers? Or Security Engineers? Or Network Security Engineers even?
  • Options

You're HR at a company that does web hosting/development. You have 2 candidates. Candidate A is 24 years old with 6 years experience in web development and graphic arts. Candidate B is 24 years old with no work experience, but has a BS and MS. Candidate A will take the job for 40k. Candidate B wont take less than 60K. Who are you going to hire?

IMHO a masters for this feild of work IS pointless. This feild is about ability much moreso than paper credentials. Some of the best programmers, web developers, networkers that I know have ZERO credentials. Collegiate masters level work is not going to be job specific, and will be more programming (for us it was Java which I have never again used) and managerial in nature. The time and money spent on a masters is going to pale in comparison to real job experience.

I did a BS, and will not do a MS for the simple reason that there can be no ROI for me. When I progress, it wont be because I have a masters, but because of work history. It may be a little harsh, but techies with masters typically are overeducated and cant perform well because they have no work history, and their 'skillset' is extremely limited...and not focused on any particular technology.

Regarding your second point above, its not that I think I'm too cool to hang them...its that they are not a symbol of my knowledge or ability. In addition, it seems too much like bragging to me. I prefer to quietly do my job and not shove a certificate in anyone's face. You will meet people that do this, and it is offputting.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It may be a little harsh, but techies with masters typically are overeducated and cant perform well because they have no work history, and their 'skillset' is extremely limited...and not focused on any particular technology.

If you compare a person with a Masters and 0 experience to a person with a Bachelors and two years of experience, then yes I agree. But what happens 10 years down the road when person A has a masters and 10 years of experience and person B has a Bachelors and 12 years of experience? Does person A still have a limited skill set?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

What gave you the impression that anyone is ashamed of anything? I personally just don't put any value in some flimsy token. I value the knowledge I gain and the sense of accomplishment when I fulfill a goal. A piece of paper pales in comparison. I'm also low-key, and I don't like to draw attention to things like that. I prefer to be a bit more humble and not push my accomplishments over everyone else.

On the other hand, I can see why some people do value certificates/diplomas, and it really doesn't bother me at all if they choose to put them on display.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    If you compare a person with a Masters and 0 experience to a person with a Bachelors and two years of experience, then yes I agree. But what happens 10 years down the road when person A has a masters and 10 years of experience and person B has a Bachelors and 12 years of experience? Does person A still have a limited skill set?

If you have 10 - 12 years experience then the degrees are probably even at that stage. You are going to get jobs off your work history and field contacts more so than the paper you have.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here, depending upon the job, they may be considered equal as far as the skillset goes. If it's for a managerial job then the guy with the Masters would definitely be ahead of the game. If it's for a sysadmin type job then the HR goons may think the Masters degree holder overqualified.
    Overall any degree will help you down the road once you have experience to back up the degree.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options

Of course not...but that scenario is less likely.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Of course not...but that scenario is less likely.

Because people with Masters degress never get 10 years of experience?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Because people with Masters degress never get 10 years of experience?

nooo....because people with 10 years experience dont need a masters. Those that do are the exception, and even then its because they are trying to break out of their role and go into management.
  • Options
    Have you never heard of Network Engineers? Or Security Engineers? Or Network Security Engineers even?

I don't think you are understanding the term Engineer. Just because your role is called Network Engineer does not mean you are actually engineering technology. Most companies are to vague with the position titles. Unless you work for Juniper, Cisco or any other networking company that creates the technology you go out and get certifications for, you do not engineer anything.
    nooo....because people with 10 years experience dont need a masters.

lol, this is simply because you are suppose to get your masters prior to going into the workforce or while you are still interning/working entry level positions.

I will do one of your "mock" HR hiring processes that only can possibly work in your favor when the Masters degree holder has zero experience...

Mr. A has a A.A.S. in Networking at a local community college with his A+, Network+ and 3 years experience as a NOC

Mr. B has a Bachelors from WGU in Computer Network Administration with his MCITP, A+, N+, Security+, CCNA, CCNP and CIW Associates and 5 years experience in Networking Administration

Mr. C has a Bachelors degree from a State University in Computer Engineering, a Masters degree in Computer Science from a State University or Ivy League school and 1 year internship experience at a top level company in the industry. He has also been a part of many endorsed researches involving Multidisciplinary System Design, Computer & Network Security and Process query systems.

Trust me when I say Mr. C wins by a large, I mean large, margin. Even without low level certifications and not really concentrating on Networking. Although I cannot prove this with documentation, I will prove this by promising you that any job you ever apply for in your life time you won't be going up against Mr. C.

As for hanging up certifications and diplomas. Trust me if you were Mr. C you would be hanging that Masters Degree at your home office or work office not filing it away with your A+ icon_cool.gif
    #Current Studies#

#Certification Path#
  • Options
    hyperrawr9000hyperrawr9000 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally, I've always thought of certifications as a way of keeping score :P
  • Options
    I don't think you are understanding the term Engineer. Just because your role is called Network Engineer does not mean you are actually engineering technology. Most companies are to vague with the position titles. Unless you work for Juniper, Cisco or any other networking company that creates the technology you go out and get certifications for, you do not engineer anything.

You must have a special engineer's dictionary then? I'd like to see it. Based on your logic, someone who builds a network from the ground up isn't considered an engineer? Those poor CCIE guys....

Main Entry: 1en·gi·neer
    Pronunciation: \ˌen-jə-ˈnir\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English engineour, from Anglo-French, from enginer to devise, construct, from engin
    Date: 14th century
    1 : a member of a military group devoted to engineering work
    2 obsolete : a crafty schemer : plotter
    3 a : a designer or builder of engines b : a person who is trained in or follows as a profession a branch of engineering c : a person who carries through an enterprise by skillful or artful contrivance
    4 : a person who runs or supervises an engine or an apparatus
  • Options

lol, this is simply because you are suppose to get your masters prior to going into the workforce or while you are still interning/working entry level positions.

I will do one of your "mock" HR hiring processes that only can possibly work in your favor when the Masters degree holder has zero experience...

Mr. A has a A.A.S. in Networking at a local community college with his A+, Network+ and 3 years experience as a NOC

Mr. B has a Bachelors from WGU in Computer Network Administration with his MCITP, A+, N+, Security+, CCNA, CCNP and CIW Associates and 5 years experience in Networking Administration

Mr. C has a Bachelors degree from a State University in Computer Engineering, a Masters degree in Computer Science from a State University or Ivy League school and 1 year internship experience at a top level company in the industry. He has also been a part of many endorsed researches involving Multidisciplinary System Design, Computer & Network Security and Process query systems.

Trust me when I say Mr. C wins by a large, I mean large, margin. Even without low level certifications and not really concentrating on Networking. Although I cannot prove this with documentation, I will prove this by promising you that any job you ever apply for in your life time you won't be going up against Mr. C.

As for hanging up certifications and diplomas. Trust me if you were Mr. C you would be hanging that Masters Degree at your home office or work office not filing it away with your A+ icon_cool.gif

C definitely wouldn't win out in my group due to a degree only. The only guy we have with a masters works below me and has been doing this a lot longer. This field is all about relevant experience.

I won't touch the engineer definition thing. Thats been beaten like a dead horse here a couple times.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I do not hang my certs at work. Neither do I hang my Bachelor degree diploma. I have no idea why I would. Experience and getting the job completed are what the people that matter look at. We have a few techs here who do hang some certs and they list their certs in email signatures, but most of us do not.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    You must have a special engineer's dictionary then? I'd like to see it. Based on your logic, someone who builds a network from the ground up isn't considered an engineer? Those poor CCIE guys....

Main Entry: 1en·gi·neer
    Pronunciation: \ˌen-jə-ˈnir\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English engineour, from Anglo-French, from enginer to devise, construct, from engin
    Date: 14th century
    1 : a member of a military group devoted to engineering work
    2 obsolete : a crafty schemer : plotter
    3 a : a designer or builder of engines b : a person who is trained in or follows as a profession a branch of engineering c : a person who carries through an enterprise by skillful or artful contrivance
    4 : a person who runs or supervises an engine or an apparatus

Devise and Construct is on your definition, lol

con·struct   [v. kuhn-struhkt; n. kon-struhkt] Show IPA
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to build or form by putting together parts; frame; devise.
    2. Geometry . to draw (a figure) fulfilling certain given conditions.
    3. something constructed.
    4. an image, idea, or theory, esp. a complex one formed from a number of simpler elements.

You also must have skipped over this..
    Just because your role is called Network Engineer does not mean you are actually engineering technology. Most companies are to vague with the position titles.
    C definitely wouldn't win out in my group due to a degree only. The only guy we have with a masters works below me and has been doing this a lot longer. This field is all about relevant experience.

So a few pieces of information are missing here... What do you do for a living? Where did he earn his degrees from?

I think you are taking your argument for the sake of supporting networks and nothing more. Where I am arguing the fact that diplomas (Bachelors and Masters) are worthy just as high-level certifications are and they both hold strong values.
    If you honestly believe that Mr. A or Mr. B in that example will beat out Mr. C in my example in any IT related job that is your belief.

Myself, others on this forum and forums all over the internet that discuss IT certifications don't want to support technology throughout their careers and want to maybe get into Management, Developing or Engineering. It is simply more difficult to get those positions without a degree.

I will hang my diploma up not only because I am proud of my academic achievement but I love college football icon_cheers.gif
    #Current Studies#

#Certification Path#
This discussion has been closed.