Options

First IT job offer... wondering if the pay is decent?

redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
In my town the average income median is roughly 34,000 a year.

The job offer is 32,000 a year... 26,000 with taxes and benefits taken out. (Still unclear on what benefits are included... I'm assuming just life ins).

I've worked for the company before and I suppose it's not bad work.

Is this decent pay to start out with?
WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Options
    Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unless you are in a city. Yes.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    what is the role? and what are your responsibilities?

it all depends on those factors.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    If you are close to bumping the town average for your first IT job I would say that was pretty good.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    Depending on the job responsibilities, you may be able to negotiate the offer up a little, but you have to decide if it's worth risking the opportunity.

I tend to agree with the others. Unless you're near a city (which with a town average income of $34k, I'm guessing you're in a fairly rural area), $32k isn't a bad offer for a first job.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    A hair less than what I started out at and im in a presumably bigger city in TN.

Sounds fair.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say that is a very respectable first job.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    And also.... Congrats on the job offer! :D
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    About par I would say.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    More than what I make my friend. Congrats!
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    yea same as me for my first IT Job, i would do that job for 18 to 24 months, maybe finish of your degree (BSIT from WGU or something), and gets some Better certs, CCNA, MCSE,MCITP, etc
    then you should be jumping to mid $50k
  • Options
    I live in a rural area... not inside the city that has a 34k median.

The responsibilities are entry level... nothing "major". In other words I'm not scared. :D I've worked for this guy before and he knows what I can do and I know him.

I think I'll get to do a little bit of web dev., too. (which I enjoy).

Health insurance is included with the 26k take-home. 1 week a year paid vacation... if I stay 2 years I get 2 weeks paid vacation.

I also don't have to sign a non-compete, so therefore I can do my own gig and work on PC's/do web design myself too. He said he didn't care.

Matching 401K is available up to 6%...someone care to explain that? I don't understand it. I don't know much about the 401k stuff.

PS: I'm almost positive he'll let me work from home.

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    redline5th wrote: »
    I live in a rural area... not inside the city that has a 34k median.

The responsibilities are entry level... nothing "major". In other words I'm not scared. :D I've worked for this guy before and he knows what I can do and I know him.

I think I'll get to do a little bit of web dev., too. (which I enjoy).

Health insurance is included with the 26k take-home. 1 week a year paid vacation... if I stay 2 years I get 2 weeks paid vacation.

I also don't have to sign a non-compete, so therefore I can do my own gig and work on PC's/do web design myself too. He said he didn't care.

Matching 401K is available up to 6%...someone care to explain that? I don't understand it. I don't know much about the 401k stuff.

PS: I'm almost positive he'll let me work from home.

That all seems far above average for a first IT job.

If you are young I would try maxing the 401k if you have the money. Stay with the company for the 2 years while earning a Bachelors and further certifications.

You are in a good position.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If that's a 100% match up to 6%, that means for every dollar you contribute to your 401k retirement account, they will also contribute a dollar, up to 6% of your gross salary. I'd be surprised of it's 100% match, but if it is, that is great, and I would take full advantage of it! That money comes out of your paycheck before taxes are calculated on the remainder of the paycheck.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    If that's a 100% match up to 6%, that means for every dollar you contribute to your 401k retirement account, they will also contribute a dollar, up to 6% of your gross salary. I'd be surprised of it's 100% match, but if it is, that is great, and I would take full advantage of it! That money comes out of your paycheck before taxes are calculated on the remainder of the paycheck.

I'm pretty sure it is a 100% match up to 6% of my salary. I just emailed him back about that. Don't wanna get ripped off.

The best part is I don't really have to worry about the interview... we've worked together enough when I was in highschool and college that he knows my abilities. Unless there is an interview that is REQUIRED by policy or what not, I doubt there will be one. icon_thumright.gif

PS: I'm 21 years old. Just finished a 2 year CIS degree this past Spring.

• Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    401k matching is free money towards retirement, and you want to take full advantage of it.

It sounds like the employer will match you dollar for dollar up to 6% of your salary per year. At $32k/year, you could contribute 6% of your salary ($1920) towards a retirement account, and the employer would add the same amount. It may sound like a lot of money to set aside now, but when you divide it across each of your paychecks, it's not so bad. What makes the deal even better is that your contributions are taken out pre-tax, so money that would have gone to the IRS goes to your retirement account, instead.

Is there a vesting period for the employer matching? Some places will match your contributions, but before you can fully claim the money they put into the account for you, you have to work for them a certain length of time. They shorter the time before you're 100% vested, the better.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Is there a vesting period for the employer matching? Some places will match your contributions, but before you can fully claim the money they put into the account for you, you have to work for them a certain length of time. They shorter the time before you're 100% vested, the better.

Yeah, I will def. be taking full advantage of the 401k 6% deal ESPECIALLY at the young age of 21.

Unsure on the vesting period, but I will inquire about that. I'll probably sit down and have lunch with him one day to discuss the details.

I won't start for several more months... plus I still have a few floaters out in the water. icon_study.gif Might find something even better. 2 of the jobs I applied for are Gov., which would be even better.

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    redline5th wrote: »
    In my town the average income median is roughly 34,000 a year.

The job offer is 32,000 a year... 26,000 with taxes and benefits taken out. (Still unclear on what benefits are included... I'm assuming just life ins).

I've worked for the company before and I suppose it's not bad work.

Is this decent pay to start out with?

Always make a counter offer, say 38K -40K. Usually benefits are bundled in with the salary.
  • Options
    So.... just heard about the 401k part. It's a little bit more complicated than 6% matching. Deceiving the way he wrote it. It's like 100% for the first 3% then it is 50% of the rest of it.

and I also have to pay $100 per m/o on insurance.

So take home comes out to roughly $24,800 a year.

I am going to question him and see if I can work from home.

• Options
    SunnyRainSunnyRain Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So.... just heard about the 401k part. It's a little bit more complicated than 6% matching. Deceiving the way he wrote it. It's like 100% for the first 3% then it is 50% of the rest of it.

and I also have to pay $100 per m/o on insurance.

So take home comes out to roughly $24,800 a year.

I know this post is a bit outdated, but anyhow..
    That is pretty close to what I make and receive in benefits after nearly 8yrs with my current employer in manufacturing, so I personally would be quick to accept this offer as a first IT job - assuming of course that there would be opportunities for advancement. At the very least it would provide coveted experience to put down on a resume, which appears to be worth its weight in gold at the moment. Why risk losing a decent opportunity in a lousy economy over a few trivialities regarding benefits or whether or not you can work from home? Unless you have the right cards that are in demand - you really aren't in a position to call the shots in this employer's market.

On to the 401k...
    I agree with others as far as the 401k. Always at least max out the company match, as it is free money. Based on what you said you would receive - it looks like you'll get a 4.5% match if you contribute at least 6%, which still isn't a bad deal. Our company actually dropped the company match altogether for about 6 months last year, and then after starting it back up they currently only match 2%. Even so, I have been putting roughly 14% in addition to their match because one way or the other I want financial freedom when I retire, along with the possibility of early retirement.

Don't be afraid to consider putting at least 10% of your gross into the 401k. Not only are these contributions tax deferred and tax deductible, but the more you put in early on the better off you will be in the long run. The best time to invest in the stock market is when the economy is in the tank and prices are low - as long as you're still able to pay the bills. Once you get used to the deductions and adjust your lifestyle accordingly - 10% really isn't that hard to dish out.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    This salary is pretty average for an entry level position. Two years max, should be held in this type of position. Learn what you can, get experience, get certified, next job offer should be 40K.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would say that is fair. My very first IT job was actually in a big city, only making 35,000 a year. Depending on how you feel, if they are offering 32,000. You should always, if your up to it counter offer. Ask for 35,000. Worst they can do is say no. Or they might say we will meet in the middle, or even give it to you. If you don't ask you will never know. Worst they can do is say that's the highest we can go. I got low balled on my new position I took, countered, they ended up coming back and giving me 3,000 more than the original offer. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    So this is your 1st I.T job and you're starting off at $32,000 a year?

Wow..
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So this is your 1st I.T job and you're starting off at $32,000 a year?

Wow..

I came from retail to IT. My salary jumped from about $17,000 a year to $30,000 a year. I couldn't have been happier.

Been here a few months, and have recently been tipped off about a big promotion. Hopefully it comes within the next couple of weeks!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I came from retail to IT. My salary jumped from about $17,000 a year to $30,000 a year. I couldn't have been happier.

Been here a few months, and have recently been tipped off about a big promotion. Hopefully it comes within the next couple of weeks!

I think that's a great salary considering what alot of jobs that don't require much experience pay these days. My contract job was 13.50 and that was physically demanding and very repetitive.

This guy is at 32,000 a year with no experience, I think that's great.

I do security now and I get about what you made doing retail.
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My friend, you are not getting much better. $32K a year, (in rural TN, no less), no experience, and you are getting a match on your 401k. Not to mention that you MIGHT get to work from home?

Listen, unless you are rich, or are really the *ish* in IT, I would take this job, learn ALL you can, get yourself a BS if you are able to (and if you were go the WGU route, I am confident you can get a Pell Grant on top of any loans) and stick with it for 2 years (ideally 3). My first job paid $26k and I left making $32k before I took my second job make $41k (a salary hike, as opposed to a career hike). Sounds like your boss is a buddy of yours, which is fine, but you trying to squeeze blood out of a rock isn't going to do you any favors. Just take the job, get certs and experience, then after awhile you can see that $50k as someone else said. Trust me, you are in a great position right now...especially you being in a place where cost of living is very low.

Congrats!

(A "Yankee" that's right outside of NYC [doesn't get much bigger than that...lol].)
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started out doing retail comp sales, moved to the "geek squad" type job, then my first real IT job was wrang in $32k. That's a great salary starting out especially with no IT experience.