Need To Decide Career Path..help..

zary2006zary2006 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I am new into IT field....though I have been operating computers and using internet for 10 years.. But I mean I do not own any professional certificate or anything.Right now, I am really confused about which career path I should choose. When I told people I am into computers and want to pursue my career in IT they all recommended me to go for CCNA,CCNP etc.. I searched about it and found that it is worth doing it...but the thing is...its solely for networking purpose and career..though...I was and am always good at troubleshooting kind of work..something like system tech support...it comes naturally to me...I haven't even passed A+ exam (and i have heard its elementary certificate..and does not even get u a job but makes your foundation)but I almost know everything about all the topics covered in A+ certificate..(I checked them out in a book)..So My question is..which path should I choose? I checked CISCO website and they have showed a pretty easy to understand career path (though its not easy to achieve it that easily) like in a format of CCNA then CCNP then CCIE. Then, I checked Microsoft websites and took career finder test..the result it showed was "Enterprise Support Technician" and when I saw its complete job description ..specialization and typical next position ..i said to myself in one second..that's what I want to do..that's where I want to be...that's where I can improve. here is the link if anyone wants to know what I'm talking about Enterprise Support Technician | Technician Careers | Technician Jobs | Microsoft Learning .
So its kinda like "Enterprise Support Technician" then "Enterprise administrator" then "Enterprise Messaging Administrator " etc.. but the thing is it does not show clearly what courses do i need to take to follow that path...does anyone know here how can I pursue this career path? and How far can I go in it? Plus...as we all want a good paying job in the end...so what would it be worth in Pakistan or in any other country? I hope you guys will help me out..I am really confused..
Thank You.

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Based on what you said, you're going to want to take the A+ and then Network+. Yes they are "elementary", but they will get you in the door for doing Level 1/Level 2 help desk (either being a phone support person and/or going out to support users in the enterprise ("going out on the field"). Once you have gotten in, you'll want to work on getting your MCITP: SA, MCITP: EA so that if you want to do Level 3 work (systems/server administration) and perhaps getting into more specialized work. Then after a few years, if routers are really what you want to get into, then go into CCNA/CCNP/CCIE. Though....that route takes years to achieve. Oh you'll get people telling you it can be done in a week. But not if you want to be a very good one.

Also, if/when you need to study for exams (especially "elementary" ones like A+/Network+ (I do agree with you, by the way)), stay away from braindumps. visit certguard.com and input a website with certification information and see if it comes up safe. If it does, it's a legitimate site to study from. If it comes back unsafe, that means it's illegal and you would be cheating.

Good luck.
  • zary2006zary2006 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Based on what you said, you're going to want to take the A+ and then Network+. Yes they are "elementary", but they will get you in the door for doing Level 1/Level 2 help desk (either being a phone support person and/or going out to support users in the enterprise ("going out on the field"). Once you have gotten in, you'll want to work on getting your MCITP: SA, MCITP: EA so that if you want to do Level 3 work (systems/server administration) and perhaps getting into more specialized work. Then after a few years, if routers are really what you want to get into, then go into CCNA/CCNP/CCIE. Though....that route takes years to achieve. Oh you'll get people telling you it can be done in a week. But not if you want to be a very good one.

Also, if/when you need to study for exams (especially "elementary" ones like A+/Network+ (I do agree with you, by the way)), stay away from braindumps. visit certguard.com and input a website with certification information and see if it comes up safe. If it does, it's a legitimate site to study from. If it comes back unsafe, that means it's illegal and you would be cheating.

Good luck.

First of all thank you so much for replying to my question. Well, I do not know any information about it but doesn't MCITP: SA sound like more networking based certificate? Plus, after doing MCITP: SA and MCITP: EA what would be its worth? i'm not comparing it with cisco certificates as they both are different things. But just like CCNA is a entry level certificate while even fresh CCIE earns hell lot of money...so what would it be like? as in the end we all want to end up with a good paying job...
    Thanks...
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got my CCNA my first year in IT. Only because work paid for me to go, why? No clue because I was on helpdesk and they had extra money in the budget. Then they sent me to Solaris training. We did not even have any freaking Solaris machines on the network....

I forgot all what I learned. Now the CCNA would help greatly for my security work so I may pursue it again next year (got too much on my plate at the moment).

I would stick to the basics CompTIA and gain real world experience. Then you will figure out the rest naturally.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually after your A+ and Net+ you should go for MCITP:Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician or the MCIT : Enterprise DEsktop Administrator http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exam.aspx?ID=70-686&locale=en-us as those sound more up your alley to start with.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Sounds like you are more fit on MCSE than Cisco path. After that, MCITP:EA would be cool.
    @ Earwood..thank you for your reply..and yeah the other guy suggested me the same..but is that all? i want to choose and plan a complete career path.. juz like the complete path for cisco certification as professional is CCNA then CCNP then CCIE ..so what path can I choose for myself in microsoft certification...A+ then N+ then MCITP then MCIT..then what? can you please define a complete path that would lead to a qualification if not equal to but the level of CCIE..(I know CCIE is completely different but I am talking about the equal level..like the demand and worth of that certificate) I hope you will be able to reply me soon. thank you alot guys :)
    It should be something like this:

MCP - MCTS - MCSA - MCSE - MCITP:EA
    First off before deciding a complete career path you need to get experience and the 2 that I gave you can help you to get jobs as desktop support. Get into the trenches before plotting a whole career path. There are higher level MS cert paths you can take but they are so far in your future and we (and you) don't know where your career may lead you. In IT it seems that sometimes you have control over your career path and at other times your career path is defined by what you are doing at present and you have to adjust your goals.
    You're not going to magically be on the path you want just by taking a few cert tests and there are no cert tests which we can point you towhich will take you to where you want to go.
    Get those I mentioned before and then the MCITP:EA or MCITP:SA and your career will probably go helpdesk->desktop support->system Admin->who knows and you may even skip one or the other of the first 2. By then you'll have a better idea of what you want to do. It may not even be involving Windows (MS)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Ya, after M$, Linux sounds interesting.
    earweed wrote: »
    First off before deciding a complete career path you need to get experience and the 2 that I gave you can help you to get jobs as desktop support. Get into the trenches before plotting a whole career path. There are higher level MS cert paths you can take but they are so far in your future and we (and you) don't know where your career may lead you. In IT it seems that sometimes you have control over your career path and at other times your career path is defined by what you are doing at present and you have to adjust your goals.
    You're not going to magically be on the path you want just by taking a few cert tests and there are no cert tests which we can point you towhich will take you to where you want to go.
    Get those I mentioned before and then the MCITP:EA or MCITP:SA and your career will probably go helpdesk->desktop support->system Admin->who knows and you may even skip one or the other of the first 2. By then you'll have a better idea of what you want to do. It may not even be involving Windows (MS)
    @ tearofs and earweed thank you so much for guiding me in such detail :) i will be always thankful to you guys.
    @ earweed..Now I totally understand what you are trying to make me understand :) Although, I have a little question...you said I should go for MCITP:EA or MCITP:SA just wondering..isn't it more into network oriented certificate? rather than desktop support or system administrator? I know it mite be stupid of me to ask but am just wondering...because on microsoft MCITP page i found MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 and MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 ..would it be more relevant to desktop support or system administrator etc? I'm just wondering I mite be absolutely wrong..So i hope you will clear it out for me..whats better of the two...and why did you said EA and SA for me..? :)
    Actually after your A+ and Net+ you should go for MCITP:Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician or the MCIT : Enterprise DEsktop Administrator Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator as those sound more up your alley to start with.
    These 2 would be more in line with desktop support whereas the MCITP:SA (System Administrator) or MCITP:EA (Enterprise Administrator) are more for a systems Administrator. A systems administrator needs to understand some networking as well. Sys Admin also requires a lot of other knowledge.
    Oh...I am really confused now which one to go for... :o does doing certificates for system administrator would cover some part of desktop support plus more..? then i should go for it i believe..
  • sting_224sting_224 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□

I really love this reply and I try to advice others based on what you've said and my experience. Before my current job I did my A+ and N+ certs and then I started with the Microsoft path. Then it seemed like I had control over my IT career until I got my current job as a software engineer, it's now a different ball game because its a software environment and there is little value attached to sysadmins/sysengineers. I was really confused because a new career goal had come in, now I'm looking at programmming and database management paths.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    zary2006 wrote: »
    Oh...I am really confused now which one to go for... :o does doing certificates for system administrator would cover some part of desktop support plus more..? then i should go for it i believe..

Might I make a suggestion? Go for both!

I don't know where you live but I do know that the majority of companies that are out there are small to medium in size and might have only a single to 3 person IT shop. These types of companies are a great way to get your career started as they will be able to provide you with a ton of experience, though of somewhat limited scope. But the important thing about these companies is that you would hav to fill many roles and having a broad base of knowledge will help you in that respect.

I disagree with those who have posted the standard CompTIA path of A+, Net+, Sec+ here and would argue that you should do the following:

CCENT
    MCTS on Windows 7
    Server+ (this will cover most of the same concepts of the A+)
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support 7
    <Maybe complete the CCNA depending on interests.>
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator
    MCITP: Server Admin

And then round out your skills with a couple enterprise level application certifications like SharePoint/SQL/Exchange. I do believe the Sec+ is a worthwhile certification, but I have only ever seen Gov jobs that asked for it and not a single person has ever commented on the fact that I hold it.

My point here is that in smaller shops you will be server administrator, desktop support, etc all-in-one and it is likely that you will break in to systems administration with a company more like that than you will get a job as help desk associate number 127 and eventually work your way into a sys admin role. You might need to get your start at a large help desk, but you will need to eventually go off to a smaller firm to expand your skills. At least this is what I have seen in my part of the country.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All the advice above is beautiful.

In case you end up taking the A+/Net+ route, Professor Messer offers free A+ and Net+ training:

Professor Messer's Free 220-70x CompTIA A+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training
    First of all thank you so much for replying to my question. Well, I do not know any information about it but doesn't MCITP: SA sound like more networking based certificate? Plus, after doing MCITP: SA and MCITP: EA what would be its worth? i'm not comparing it with cisco certificates as they both are different things. But just like CCNA is a entry level certificate while even fresh CCIE earns hell lot of money...so what would it be like? as in the end we all want to end up with a good paying job...
    Thanks...

Seriously, if you have access to www.techexams.net, then you have access to www.google.com. I don't mind clarifying information you might know but are confused about, but if you wanted to know what a MCITP: SA, or MCIPT: EA was, you could put both of those items in quotes in a Google search query and be on your way to understanding that those certs are more for configuring Microsoft Windows 2008 Servers in a network environment, much like the one you will hopefully work in.

Having said all of that, here's a list of all the MCITPs. Including the two that has been mentioned to you. Straight from Microsoft:

MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

And btw....A+ and Network+ for you for entry level would be better than a cert like CCNA, MCSE (which is going to go in 2 to 3 years anyway), MCITP.

You must crawl before you can walk and after you got those two down, then you can run. IT certs/careers are no different...especially in this economy.
    Seriously, if you have access to www.techexams.net, then you have access to www.google.com. I don't mind clarifying information you might know but are confused about, but if you wanted to know what a MCITP: SA, or MCIPT: EA was, you could put both of those items in quotes in a Google search query and be on your way to understanding that those certs are more for configuring Microsoft Windows 2008 Servers in a network environment, much like the one you will hopefully work in.

Having said all of that, here's a list of all the MCITPs. Including the two that has been mentioned to you. Straight from Microsoft:

MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

And btw....A+ and Network+ for you for entry level would be better than a cert like CCNA, MCSE (which is going to go in 2 to 3 years anyway), MCITP.

You must crawl before you can walk and after you got those two down, then you can run. IT certs/careers are no different...especially in this economy.

Hello,
    and Yes, I have searched about both those terms and google and checked microsoft website as well..thats why I came up with the question that should I really go for this path (Doing first A+ and N+ no matter what) MCIPT:EA or MCIPT: SA? because as I said I do not have any idea about networking but I am more into system tech support or desktop support kinda thing..so should I go for MCIPT :EA and MCIPT: SA or instead MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician and MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator ? or as earweed said.. I should go for MCIPT:EA and SA as they will make me be a system administrator.....so which one should i choose?does MCITP:EA and SA cover desktop support things as well?
    thank You :)
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Zary,
    You've asked for advice and a lot has been given to you. No one can tell you how much money you will make or what path to choose. You need to make your own decisions and follow the best path for you. Now, general recomendations are to start with the A+, Net+ and Sec+ if you want it. After that it is up to you, everyone has given some amazing advice in this thread, please go back and read it from the beginning.

Welcome to TE!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    Hello,
    and Yes, I have searched about both those terms and google and checked microsoft website as well..thats why I came up with the question that should I really go for this path (Doing first A+ and N+ no matter what) MCIPT:EA or MCIPT: SA? because as I said I do not have any idea about networking but I am more into system tech support or desktop support kinda thing..so should I go for MCIPT :EA and MCIPT: SA or instead MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician and MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator ? or as earweed said.. I should go for MCIPT:EA and SA as they will make me be a system administrator.....so which one should i choose?does MCITP:EA and SA cover desktop support things as well?
    thank You :)

Not a problem, and I will definitely help clarify the advice you have received by me and others.

It is all the more reason why someone like you should begin with the A+ and Network+. This is because no matter what you want to do in IT, basic networking knowledge that you will gain from both of those certs (through proper study) is ESSENTIAL. The PC is no longer a standalone product (for the purposes of this discussion...I'm not going to talk about when it can and should be a stand alone product like for legal issues, etc.). A+ and Network+ will get into such lovely topics such as the OSI layer which will break down what happens when you start using an item such as a web browser and at what happens at each level of the OSI model. It may sound academic, but that type of thing is the foundation for every decent desktop tech. The easiest way to learn it is through A+ and then Network+ expands on it further. (This is the crawling stage of IT for someone new.)

After a couple of years of performing these functions, you may then want to work on servers. Servers are just PCs, but with a much more advanced level of hardware and O/S. The PC knowledge that you gained from your experience as a tech will be a good foundation for learning servers and what their roles on the network are. You have application servers, database servers, web servers, domain controllers, file servers, etc., etc., etc. Getting a good understanding of what's involved will be a good start to begin your MCITP: EA (which is the Enterprise Adminsitrator) and MCITP: SA (Which is Server Administration and is considered a step down from the Enterprise). The link that I gave you earlier will explain the breakdown. If you want to get into administration of servers, that's the path you want to look at. You can also look into the MCSA/MCSE on the 2003 technologies, but by the time YOU are done with your studies, a good number of places will probably be on 2008. Some will still be on 2003, but I don't think it will be many. Since you are new, it will be better for you to just start with the newer technologies so that you can hit the ground running on them during upgrades. (This is the walking stage of IT)

After a couple of years of server/systems administration, there are a variety of avenues you can take. You can administer/design specific systems based on your knowledge of Microsoft technologies. You can maybe go into a senior-level technical lead role. Maybe even work up to be an IT manager. (This is the running stage of IT.)

I would just focus on crawling and walking for now. That is definitely enough for you start doing before you can run (if you want to run at all...and you don't necessarily have to either...that is definitely fine.)

I hope this clarified things a little better.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know where you live but I do know that the majority of companies that are out there are small to medium in size and might have only a single to 3 person IT shop. These types of companies are a great way to get your career started as they will be able to provide you with a ton of experience, though of somewhat limited scope. But the important thing about these companies is that you would hav to fill many roles and having a broad base of knowledge will help you in that respect

My point here is that in smaller shops you will be server administrator, desktop support, etc all-in-one and it is likely that you will break in to systems administration with a company more like that than you will get a job as help desk associate number 127 and eventually work your way into a sys admin role. You might need to get your start at a large help desk, but you will need to eventually go off to a smaller firm to expand your skills. At least this is what I have seen in my part of the country.

+1 on this. I've been dabbing in IT for about 10 years now (mostly as a recreation and maybe some freelance work here and there). I just decided to make it a career earlier this year and my first job (which I'm still working at, full-time until the 10th, and only Saturday's afterwards) is at a local repair shop where there's essentially only 3 techs. The work I see come in on a daily basis is so diverse that it's insane. I work on network related problems, simple desktop support fixes, hardware fixes, hardware replacement, custom computer builds, virus removal (most of which is advanced, I've gotten really good at removing viruses that corrupt system files and repaired those systems), OS's of shapes and sizes. We even do the occasional small business server/active directory set up..

All of this can give you much more in the way of experience than any simple help desk call center job. It's worth it, if even for a month or two to dive into a place like that and get your feet wet. I love having to explain to guys in my class when I come in that the white stuff on my shirt is from thermal solution I was applying while installing a new processor fan in place of an older one that burned out. You just don't get to have conversations like that anymore unless you work in shops like that.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
    Not a problem, and I will definitely help clarify the advice you have received by me and others.

It is all the more reason why someone like you should begin with the A+ and Network+. This is because no matter what you want to do in IT, basic networking knowledge that you will gain from both of those certs (through proper study) is ESSENTIAL. The PC is no longer a standalone product (for the purposes of this discussion...I'm not going to talk about when it can and should be a stand alone product like for legal issues, etc.). A+ and Network+ will get into such lovely topics such as the OSI layer which will break down what happens when you start using an item such as a web browser and at what happens at each level of the OSI model. It may sound academic, but that type of thing is the foundation for every decent desktop tech. The easiest way to learn it is through A+ and then Network+ expands on it further. (This is the crawling stage of IT for someone new.)

After a couple of years of performing these functions, you may then want to work on servers. Servers are just PCs, but with a much more advanced level of hardware and O/S. The PC knowledge that you gained from your experience as a tech will be a good foundation for learning servers and what their roles on the network are. You have application servers, database servers, web servers, domain controllers, file servers, etc., etc., etc. Getting a good understanding of what's involved will be a good start to begin your MCITP: EA (which is the Enterprise Adminsitrator) and MCITP: SA (Which is Server Administration and is considered a step down from the Enterprise). The link that I gave you earlier will explain the breakdown. If you want to get into administration of servers, that's the path you want to look at. You can also look into the MCSA/MCSE on the 2003 technologies, but by the time YOU are done with your studies, a good number of places will probably be on 2008. Some will still be on 2003, but I don't think it will be many. Since you are new, it will be better for you to just start with the newer technologies so that you can hit the ground running on them during upgrades. (This is the walking stage of IT)

After a couple of years of server/systems administration, there are a variety of avenues you can take. You can administer/design specific systems based on your knowledge of Microsoft technologies. You can maybe go into a senior-level technical lead role. Maybe even work up to be an IT manager. (This is the running stage of IT.)

I would just focus on crawling and walking for now. That is definitely enough for you start doing before you can run (if you want to run at all...and you don't necessarily have to either...that is definitely fine.)

I hope this clarified things a little better.

Hello,
    Thank you for your wonderful explanation once again. and Yes, at least that part is clear to me for going for A+ and N+ to make my foundation strong.
    and Yes I have clear understanding of MCITP: EA and MCITP: SA now. As I said..It sounds more like server administration (im afraid i.e also kind of networking thing) and I feel more into desktop tech kind of things. So, there is one thing you did not clear was that what about MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technicianand and MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator ? It sounds more like me..Isn't it worth doing? or doesn't it have the standed like MCITP: EA or SA? (Right now, I do not know anything about network so may be I would like it after studying it in N+) so that's why I am a bit hesitant to think about MCITP: EA or SA and feel more safe like going for MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator or anything..so why not this? does it limit the role and does not have that career scope or what? just curious..
    and Yes, I am crawling right now lol :) I am taking admission in a degree program as well..Masters in Computer Science..and with it I will try to cover this things up.
    I hope you would clarify things again:) thank You.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I'm confused, you're working on a Masters degree in Computer Science and all you want to do is desktop support?! Something doesn't jive...
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    phantasm wrote: »
    I'm confused, you're working on a Masters degree in Computer Science and all you want to do is desktop support?! Something doesn't jive...

@ above well yes im going to start it :) and well..actually I dnt knw...actually as I said I am more into troubleshooting and administrating pc ...and all..the other field that people who are IT professional mostly tell me to go is networking or server administration kind of thing..and well so far I haven't learn networking and thats Y I do not know if it will interest me or not..but in general im kinda person who like solving general desktop issues etc.. what else other then networking might be way to go? if you think desktop support work or all the courses people suggested here isn't worth it with MCS ?
    Wait a minute, if all you want to do is administer PCs, then this is easy. As other folks and you have said:

A+/Network+ and THEN

Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST)

Then take the upgrade exam to Windows 7 by sitting for the 70-682.

You will STILL need to be familiar with networking concepts as I've stated earlier (even for A+!!), but at least now, you have a cert path that will put you in a career doing Desktop Support.

If you decide you want to walk a little faster in your career, then see my earlier posts in this thread. But this has definitely answered your inquiry.
    Wait a minute, if all you want to do is administer PCs, then this is easy. As other folks and you have said:

A+/Network+ and THEN

Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST)

Then take the upgrade exam to Windows 7 by sitting for the 70-682.

You will STILL need to be familiar with networking concepts as I've stated earlier (even for A+!!), but at least now, you have a cert path that will put you in a career doing Desktop Support.

If you decide you want to walk a little faster in your career, then see my earlier posts in this thread. But this has definitely answered your inquiry.

hello,
    well I guess I am afraid that is only what i feel i can do rite now..although may be I will develope some interest for networking and server administration after I do A+ and N+ :) and yes my query has been responded.
    Do u have msn though bro? I could talk to you about few things!
    What some of us may not understand is that you're going after an MS and want to limit yourself to desktop support. The next step up from that would be server administration. Do the entry level stuff (A+,Net+) and the Desktop support certs and then see how you like the server admin material. You could always look into eventually being some tpe of desktop/helpdesk manager since you'll have the degrees.
    Don't let fear of going into an unknown area stop you from advancing your career.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    To be honest but you really don't have to do desktop support as a career step up. It sounds natural but I found my year doing desktop support did not help me much at all.
    What some of us may not understand is that you're going after an MS and want to limit yourself to desktop support. The next step up from that would be server administration. Do the entry level stuff (A+,Net+) and the Desktop support certs and then see how you like the server admin material. You could always look into eventually being some type of desktop/help-desk manager since you'll have the degrees.
    Don't let fear of going into an unknown area stop you from advancing your career.

Well, I don't want to limit myself to anything its just that I was expressing the interest I have rite now :) (before even starting my career) so i didn't know that desktop support is such a limited thing or what.and I hope i will develope interest for being a server administrator...because i feel that would be just a more advance thing in the way i want to be...because i don't want to limit myself and do some real serious stuff. anyways last question...do you think the standard, level and value of MCITP:EA and SA is comparable to CCIE (I know they are different and experience count...but am asking keeping other things out of proportion)
    Thank You
    Well, I don't want to limit myself to anything its just that I was expressing the interest I have rite now :) (before even starting my career) so i didn't know that desktop support is such a limited thing or what.and I hope i will develope interest for being a server administrator...because i feel that would be just a more advance thing in the way i want to be...because i don't want to limit myself and do some real serious stuff. anyways last question...do you think the standard, level and value of MCITP:EA and SA is comparable to CCIE (I know they are different and experience count...but am asking keeping other things out of proportion)
    Thank You

I think the better question for you to answer is simply "why IT?" As opposed to medicine, the law, teaching. What are you looking to get out of it? If it's simply money, then you can do that in any profession.

For example, say I wanted to be a lawyer. But I don't know where to start. So I go to a library (assuming I don't google) and read up on what lawyers do and how to be one. So I figure out after some reading that in the US, I have to go through 4 years of college to get a BA or BS in something...preferably a Pre-Law degree or something like History or Political Science. Then after that is another 2-3 years of law school. Then after I graduate I have to pass the bar exam (unless it's California, then you can just jump to taking the bar...without so much as a degree....but that's neither here nor there). After that, I might join a firm as a junior associate, or clerk for some judge. Etc., etc.

But with IT, there isn't really a path like that. There's a discussion somewhere on TE that recently goes over that point. Most agree to start at the help desk. Some people don't see help desk as a starting point, but as an entire career. I personally don't, but I won't crap on anyone who does. (That lesson I got from my father...if it's an honest living, it deserves respect...even if he busted his butt to make sure I didn't have to take low end jobs).

So seriously, we could talk to you until we're all blue in the face, but you really need to go out and find your path, if IT is really what you want to do.

I don't have/use messenger, but feel free to PM me if you want. Or you can just ask me whatever you want here in this thread.
    I think the better question for you to answer is simply "why IT?" As opposed to medicine, the law, teaching. What are you looking to get out of it? If it's simply money, then you can do that in any profession.

For example, say I wanted to be a lawyer. But I don't know where to start. So I go to a library (assuming I don't google) and read up on what lawyers do and how to be one. So I figure out after some reading that in the US, I have to go through 4 years of college to get a BA or BS in something...preferably a Pre-Law degree or something like History or Political Science. Then after that is another 2-3 years of law school. Then after I graduate I have to pass the bar exam (unless it's California, then you can just jump to taking the bar...without so much as a degree....but that's neither here nor there). After that, I might join a firm as a junior associate, or clerk for some judge. Etc., etc.

But with IT, there isn't really a path like that. There's a discussion somewhere on TE that recently goes over that point. Most agree to start at the help desk. Some people don't see help desk as a starting point, but as an entire career. I personally don't, but I won't crap on anyone who does. (That lesson I got from my father...if it's an honest living, it deserves respect...even if he busted his butt to make sure I didn't have to take low end jobs).

So seriously, we could talk to you until we're all blue in the face, but you really need to go out and find your path, if IT is really what you want to do.

I don't have/use messenger, but feel free to PM me if you want. Or you can just ask me whatever you want here in this thread.

I know I want to get involved in IT because I have already done bachelors in commerce as well...and that time i was thinking about a path to make money..but then i realized..its not me ....its not what i feel comfortable with.....i don't like numbers...i don't like accounting...its not my thing...i wouldn't like spending my life calculating and stuff....medicines ?nah...lawyer..nah as well..lol anything that I like doing and I'm comfortable with is Computers....I love to fix PC issues...and I don't mind spending endless hours on computers..not for just movies games etc but for other things as well..So that's why I picked it..and once I get into it in detail with A+ and N+ I might develop interest for more than just solving desktop tech issues? and get into networking or anything.So that is why I picked it..!
    And Last but not the least...I am looking to get a career in IT not for only money purpose but because I like it.....but the thing is we pick a career because we like it..but we also want to make as much money out of that profession as possible....so that's why I am asking is MCITP:EA and MCITP:SA is with the level and standard of CCIE ? because CCIE earn alot...and I want to make money being in a field I like..so if MCITP does not equal CCIE then what would...after MCITP?
    Thank You