Need To Decide Career Path..help..

2»

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    In the Microsoft world MCITP is the new MCSE (from my understanding), after that you can get specialization certs like SQL and Virtualization. Is it comparable to a CCIE? In my mind no. A CCIE is a whole different beast, comparing an MCITP to a CCIE isn't fair in my opinion.

Also, if you don't like numbers then networking isn't for you. I work in a NOC as a Tier II technician and I do math (subnetting and what not) on about every issue I touch. So it's one of those things you'll have to decide on.

Also, a CCIE can be obtained by either taking the CCIE written and lab, or the more common route of pursuing a CCNA, CCNP and then CCIE. However with the new Cisco exams for CCNP, I feel it is more beneficial to go CCNA, CCNP, CCIP and then CCIE. Both of these paths with take years of studying and years of experience. A CCIE with no experience is worth nothing.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • zary2006zary2006 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    In the Microsoft world MCITP is the new MCSE (from my understanding), after that you can get specialization certs like SQL and Virtualization. Is it comparable to a CCIE? In my mind no. A CCIE is a whole different beast, comparing an MCITP to a CCIE isn't fair in my opinion.

Also, if you don't like numbers then networking isn't for you. I work in a NOC as a Tier II technician and I do math (subnetting and what not) on about every issue I touch. So it's one of those things you'll have to decide on.

Also, a CCIE can be obtained by either taking the CCIE written and lab, or the more common route of pursuing a CCNA, CCNP and then CCIE. However with the new Cisco exams for CCNP, I feel it is more beneficial to go CCNA, CCNP, CCIP and then CCIE. Both of these paths with take years of studying and years of experience. A CCIE with no experience is worth nothing.

I know CCIE is the whole different thing but I was talking about the difference of worth and standard of the two neglecting the core purpose of the two. and about not liking numbers i meant to be particulary numbers of accounting..like debit credit thing..depreciation..etc..otherwise I have always been a good student of maths..and not just basic but advanced maths.
    and Yes I have read about CCIE :) and I was looking for anything in Microsoft certification that would be worth equal to CCIE I know its not worth anything without experience but lets say 1 year experienced MCITP would not be equal to 1 year experienced CCIE certificate holder..?So i know experience matter but the worth of certificate can't be neglected so I was asking is there any certification in Microsoft like that? thank you
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are more advanced MS certs and if you eventually get to them you will be earning money comparable to CCIE's basically because they are hard to obtain and require experience to obtain. You can find something about more advanced MS certs in the Microsoft Developers forum for instance. Microsoft Developers Certifications - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

They also have the Microsoft Certified Master MCM Training Courses | Advanced Computer Certification | Microsoft Certified Master
    and Microsoft Certified Architect
    Microsoft Certified Architect Program

Which would be more comparable to a CCIE
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    There are more advanced MS certs and if you eventually get to them you will be earning money comparable to CCIE's basically because they are hard to obtain and require experience to obtain. You can find something about more advanced MS certs in the Microsoft Developers forum for instance. Microsoft Developers Certifications - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

They also have the Microsoft Certified Master MCM Training Courses | Advanced Computer Certification | Microsoft Certified Master

Actually I would say that these are beyond the capabilities of most people, even if the had the required experience and knowledge.
    Actually I would say that these are beyond the capabilities of most people, even if the had the required experience and knowledge.
    I looked up the stats on how many of those there were and it looks like there are way less of those than there are CCIEs and I remember reading somewhere that the majority of those actually work for Microsoft.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□

Wouldn't the CCA be more comparable to the MCA? They both have a similar process. I don't think there is anything on the level of CCIE in the MS realm.

then i probably hope I would develop interest for networking and Cisco :p so just curious what other certificates can a person get to improve his skills and make him a PRO amd worth more as well..other than CCIE and MCA etc ?
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    zary2006 wrote: »
    then i probably hope I would develop interest for networking and Cisco :p so just curious what other certificates can a person get to improve his skills and make him a PRO amd worth more as well..other than CCIE and MCA etc ?

My advice is this. Finish your M.S. degree, get the certifications we have already mentioned and then go from there. There is no "start here" and then "end here" and you can make $100k plus a year. Everyone's career is different, you need to start yours in order to figure out where it will end.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    phantasm wrote: »
    My advice is this. Finish your M.S. degree, get the certifications we have already mentioned and then go from there. There is no "start here" and then "end here" and you can make $100k plus a year. Everyone's career is different, you need to start yours in order to figure out where it will end.
    +1 Get some experience. Do an internship, get a helpdesk or desktop support job, or even a teaching assistant job at your university. Experience will help you once you get out into the nreal world. If you have an MS and X number of certs yoou will still be entry level somewhere when you start your first job.
    +1 Get some experience. Do an internship, get a helpdesk or desktop support job, or even a teaching assistant job at your university. Experience will help you once you get out into the nreal world. If you have an MS and X number of certs yoou will still be entry level somewhere when you start your first job.

@ earweed and phantasm Yes. I am gonna do A+ then N+ then MCITP: EA and MCITP: SA and may be MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician and and MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator..and then if i develop interest in anything ill go for it...:) and yeah just need a bit advise..I contacted an academy to prepare for A+ they said...the course is for 1 month.. 1 month for A+ and 1 month for N+ is that possible (I have been using computer for 10 years and trouble shooting pcs of my own and friends and family not professional though) ? and they are not even just any institute..i mean they are the official instructor of compTIA..and they are listed on their website as well..
    The MCITP:SA/EA in itself wont land you a sys admin job but it will help. It's more server administration than networking actually. You'll still need to go through a lot of lower level jobs first before becoming a sys admin and you'll need more skills than just server administration. You'll need some coding skills, maybe some Linux, a lot of the skills are not necessarily covered by any cert but are gained along with experience. As for the CCNA being entry level it may be as far as Cisco certs go but it is fairly difficult to obtain and can open some doors for you.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The MCITP:SA/EA in itself wont land you a sys admin job but it will help. It's more server administration than networking actually. You'll still need to go through a lot of lower level jobs first before becoming a sys admin and you'll need more skills than just server administration. You'll need some coding skills, maybe some Linux, a lot of the skills are not necessarily covered by any cert but are gained along with experience. As for the CCNA being entry level it may be as far as Cisco certs go but it is fairly difficult to obtain and can open some doors for you.

I agree with a lot of this and I just wan to add the following comment:

Entry to where is what is key here. CCNA is not entry level in the same way that the MCDST is entry level.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Entry to where is what is key here. CCNA is not entry level in the same way that the MCDST is entry level.

This is very true. An entry level Networking position maybe "higher" than an entry level Helpdesk/Systems Support position.
    ok kool..cisco is more worth it then it means..anywyas what other certs are there for networking anyways? because to reach CCIE seems nearly impossible for most peoplee!
    Hello guys....welll the starting path You people told and I decided is not available for me anymore..icon_sad.gif For some odd reasons (which i dont know) CompTIA certification is not available in my country........and it is frustrating..only some local basic certification is being offered here which I don't think is worth it...I contacted about Microsoft certificates and they are available..but when I asked I wanna do MCITP they said I should have some basic knowledge of networking etc...Which I don't have..so just wondering what other basic international ceritifications are there to jump into IT ? thanks..