Has anyone ever been asked to show proof of a cert?

Just curious?

Comments

• SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only once -- a long time ago, a company wanted a copy of my A+ credentials on location right before the interview. They never mentioned it up until that moment, but luckily I was still carrying around my A+ wallet card at the time.
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Yup, I've had a few jobs wants to verify all certs, it mainly seems to be companies that have partner status with certain vendors.
    Dustin Leefers
  • triotrio Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah i think i was asked once to show them while in interview,i didnt have any documents by then and they stated that i should always have them with me which i thought a bit weird,luckily i keep all cards in my wallets which i had to show them.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Never been asked to see my certifications. I will say this though, most of the companies never really were interested in my certifications, mostly experience or how I interviewed.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep, I've been asked to verify them all before (primarily MS, Cisco, and VMware).
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    Never been asked to see my certifications. I will say this though, most of the companies never really were interested in my certifications, mostly experience or how I interviewed.

Seconded. I have never been asked to verify. Only a few companies have shown much interest.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I was interviewing for my current job my potential direct manager asked if my certs were current, then later when I interviewed with the director of security he asked me if my certs were current. I didn't have to show proof, but it'd be pretty ballsy to say your certs are current then have your bluff called. I think it helped that I could provide a specific timeline of my certifications as well.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When i interviewed for my current job, they asked if i could provide proof of my certs. I told them yes, i have the wallet cards, and if i can use a computer i can pull up my transcripts. They said i didnt need to show them since i was willing to show proof.

I guess it was more of a test to see how i would react or something
  • sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ya, and it was the sun certs at that.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    N2IT wrote: »

Same here, been asked to prove them once and once only.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just once, HR wanted to know who has what.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never been asked but if going to an interview I have a printed document with my comptia link and MCP stuff. If they even asked about them I'd whip it out and show it. Never happens though.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    never been asked yet but I keep the info with me at every interview just in case.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been asked for the CompTIA ID number on my A+ before but no one has ever asked to see the cert itself.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Only once, and it was by the organization that delivers the exams and maintains a specific set of certifications...you'd think they'd already have that information.

It was to become an accredited trainer through an ITIL exam institute.

MS
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As of today... once.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not yet but I'm prepared anyway.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just once and that was my job with the city. They actually called all the vendor verification numbers.
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nope.

My dad had a hard time with a guy who claimed to be an MCSE and asked for his credentials. Turns out the guy hadn't passed a single exam.

Daddy was happy and fired his ass pronto.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nope not to date anyway
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I havn't been asked to show anything but I have had to associate my MS ID with a few companies.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nope.

My dad had a hard time with a guy who claimed to be an MCSE and asked for his credentials. Turns out the guy hadn't passed a single exam.

Daddy was happy and fired his ass pronto.

I had a manager that claimed to had one also. Then when our company sent us to training to get out Win2K MCSE's she framed her MCP cert and put it on her desk.

Last I checked they didn't send you a new MCP cert if you already had an NT MCSE cert.
  • smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've never been asked for proof of my certs. I actually wish people would ask sometimes just so I could whip out my wallet cards.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just once and that was for a UK Bank as part of a VERY long ID & verification process. They obviously spent more time on those processes than keeping an eye on its balances, having to get foreign backing to get it through the recession :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Yes, in the UK it's part of the safer recruitment process (that's not to say that all organisations/sectors in the UK follow/use it).

-Ken
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    We had a temp working for us as a systems technician. He told HR that he had A+ and they did not verify it. He got hired on as a FTE and then was asked to show proof of A+. Turned out he took a class for A+ but never took the test.

They gave him 1 month to pass it. He failed many times. They gave him another month, he never passed (either test).

They had to let him go.

HR wanted everyone to proove every cert on a certain day or else.

Now, everyone who is hired is verified BEFORE getting a job in IT.

Too bad, that tech was a nice guy and he actually wanted to work. He wasn't a smart-a$$ know it all jerk.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hasn't happened to me up to this date.
  • hooklowhooklow Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    Yup, I've had a few jobs wants to verify all certs, it mainly seems to be companies that have partner status with certain vendors.

I second that, before getting a job with Cisco partner they made sure my certs were up to date,
  • big tedbig ted Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've had to release my cert transcripts to my current employer
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Only once for a job interview (I later turned the job down). But I have been asked to submit my proof of certification to HR for professional development. Didn't mind there because that contributed to advancements and raises. :)
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)