"Addicted" to studying?

2»

Comments

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cyrenz, you are a civil engineer student asking a question on an IT forum if you are OK because you study a lot?

Relax the pants a little! All work and no play will make you a very dull person. Maybe because you are a constant honor you feel the need to keep that up but you are only putting pressure on yourself for no reason. When you get to to the point that you can't eat or sleep then I think you have passed the point of being OK.

Cool people don't look to be appreciated by others, it just happens naturally by the person you become. And cool people don't work 24/7 - every funny story you've got will start with "I was working" instead of "I was in... Brazil hang gliding over Copacabana beach" Try to study a little less and be a more rounded person.
  • coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not addicted to studying. I hate studying. I'd much rather be spending time with my friends, family, or playing video games.

I love learning. Understanding a new concept, when things just 'click', when you can talk to a colleague or coworker about something and not feel like a total idiot. Knowing that you understand concepts that are going to push you to a higher place in your career. I can't understand why anyone would ever stop learning.

The pros of learning outweigh the cons of studying. Sometimes I don't mind studying, some days I abhor it. Either way, I don't see it going away. I've been studying different topics daily now for the past five months. I've passed five different exams, netting me four separate certifications. I have five more exams (netting me another three certifications) still in the pipeline. I already purchased my study materials and books for those exams so I might as well finish. I hope to again have them all done in the next five months.

It's not an affliction though, I promise you that. Be proud you're one of few who actually care about their career. Being self motivated is a pretty big thing in this day and age. Keep up the good work!
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Well, i started in the networking field about 1,5 years ago, and next week i will take my last CCNP exam, and still planning to go for DA/DP path...
    I would say i'm addicted to studying too .-.
    This **** is so pleasant, man...
  • okpokp Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice topic, well don't know if I'm addicted to study. I like to learn new things on a daily basis. A good way to do it, is to read. I'm often told that leaders are readers.

I passed CISSP which was tricky because in a difficult period of my life, switching companies, end of the year, moving cities, not a lot time to study.. but well I did it first try. Believe me, when I arrived at the cert center and got the exam booklet... I was asking myself ... does it worth... Well sure it does.

Last year I passed CISM, hopefully nail CISA (we'll know it in the 2 next weeks!)

My view is that world and our society + business is moving fast. Studying, getting certs give you challenges, objectives that you can achieve (or not). You can fail, of course. But who has never failed. Failing get you stronger. One certitude is that if you are going always forward when people are in standby.... you'll always be above them.

My 2 cents, I always say : If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat.
  • wguhelpwguhelp Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I become addicted to certs when I started out getting about 4 or 5 of them. Then I went looking for my first job and no one wants to hire someone without experience. Net+ was my first and I still have my little red book that I studied diligently from to earn it.