College Vs. Certs

2»

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    You have to be careful about taking breaks, most people who take a break never return.

This is so true. I enrolled at a particular college and hated it and left. It took almost a full year for me to enroll at my current college (for a 2 year degree). Summer breaks can be dangerous as well, especially if you are working. It is very easy to slip out of school mode and very hard to slip back in (at least for me).
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You have to be careful about taking breaks, most people who take a break never return.
    I would probably make that "some people who take a break never return". The argument could also be made that people may drop out of college because they're burnt out and don't want to continue what seems like an endless path in the moment. The question of whether or not people return seems to me more a matter of their general discipline and commitment to the goal, rather than a symptom of whether or not they went full-force or took a break somewhere in between.

The point here is, sthompson86, you should weigh your options and see what's going to work best for you. You should definitely finish that Bachelor's degree, but how and when is up to you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I would probably make that "some people who take a break never return". The argument could also be made that people may drop out of college because they're burnt out and don't want to continue what seems like an endless path in the moment. The question of whether or not people return seems to me more a matter of their general discipline and commitment to the goal, rather than a symptom of whether or not they went full-force or took a break somewhere in between.

The point here is, sthompson86, you should weigh your options and see what's going to work best for you. You should definitely finish that Bachelor's degree, but how and when is up to you.

I would have to agree. I did my undergrad at a brick 'n' mortar school and while it was a heavy and grueling road, I did 12-16 credit hours every semester because I could not stand the prospect of taking 8 years to finish my degree. Took me 4 years, because I stayed on during the summer. If I had spaced it out too far and taken to light of a load, I would have probably dropped out because the road would have been too long with no end in sight.

I started a graduate program on Monday after a three years break from school. Enough of that... stick with it. Plus, going to graduate school will help me pay off my hefty student loans, as they go into in-school deferment and become 50% subsidized again... more money to principal!
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would have to disagree with the "some" I returned but you really see most people who get a negative opinion about school never return. I would take most members in this forum if they did take a break would be part of the "some" group. Because the nature of this forum is to be technically educated. Stats show that 29% of Americans drop out of highschool with only 15% earning their GED. Only 54% of people who attempt to earn a Bachelors do. Only 50% of PhD students earn their doctorate but most of those dropouts earn a Masters.

Again in a technical profession we typically see more having to return to school because our jobs require us to. So most IT personnels views are skewed when it comes to college returns.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Slowhand wrote: »
    That being said, here's what I would do if I were in your position with your particular set of circumstances: finish the A.A.S. degree and take a break from school. Find an IT-related job, even if it's helpdesk or a junior-level position, and start working on certs. If you keep it up, you will have a pretty well-rounded resume after a year or two, and the burnout feeling from work and certs might just be enough to put you back in the mindset that school wasn't so bad, after all, and you can look back into the IT degree at GSU.

By the time you walk out with that B.S. degree you'll not only be more than ready to return to the workforce, you'll also have some certs and some solid work-experience to back it up and you are that much more likely to find the kind of IT work you want to do.

That sounds like a plan, and I had actually even thought about doing that.

That would work because I know for a fact I am not going to go to school around here, nor am I going to attend anything that does not permit time for me to work.

When I stated I was burned out on school or what ever I said, I pretty much meant that I am just ready to go to work, for I am tired of only being able to work 20+ hours a week. I do not " hate school " or anything.

As far as me taking a break and never returning I do not think I fall into that category, for I am one odd self motivated individual.

I would like to maybe try as I stated earlier in this thread to take maybe 2-3 academic classes at GSU just so I stay in the school groove.

Thank you all for the advice guys - Please keep it coming if you do not mind. I like hearing multiple views.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You have to be careful about taking breaks, most people who take a break never return. They remember being burnt out and tired which over shadows any thought of career progression. Often people start justifying why they need a longer break. I had it happen to me and a number of friends. Keep your goal in site and just think of it like Basic Trainee make it meal to meal lights out to lights out.

Amen, I took a break and it turned into several years...

There was a girl I used to work with back in retail back in the day that was going to the local University for a teaching degree. I ran into her a TGI Fridays working as a waitress. She completed her junior year and said she needed a break before her senior year.

My wife and I ran into her at TGI Fridays 10 years later......
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    The fact that you even bothered to ask this question should tell you all you need to know.

You need a 4-year degree at a minimum these days. Anybody who tells you otherwise simply doesn't have your best interests in mind.

You have the 2-year degree, go another 2 years to make the rest of your entire life better.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your in College now.. stay in.. finish what you started. icon_thumright.gif

I know a lot of people (both in IT and other careers) that have college degrees (2 yr, 4yr ect) that do not have jobs right now or do not have jobs in the same field that they studied in. The above post about " Job Networking" is totally true, it's just not what you know, but who you know.

Remember there are "a lot" of people that are certified, have "a lot" of real world experience that are currently looking for jobs. A lot of different factors to look at... I have very little college education behind me, and I consider myself fortunate to be doing so much currently IT (Which is almost everything you can think of ! icon_cool.gif )
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • leencoo12leencoo12 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Hello there from a fellow Mississippian...

I think a 4 year degree becomes more important the further you get into your IT career. I graduated from Hinds Community College in 2006 with an AAS in Network Support. Since then I've gotten my A+ and CCENT (soon to be CCNA in 1 week). I'm 24 right now and work right down the road from you (literally) at St. Dominic's Hospital making $50k as a Desktop Support Analyst.

So, no, you don't NEED a 4 year degree to make a decent living. I plan on getting my bachelor's from WGU online in the next few years, but I feel like I'm doing ok without one for now.

Nice to see other folks from the Jackson area on here. I live in Simpson County but drive up here everyday. Where are you attending college?
    I saying you should waste time travelling to participate in a degree that you "do not care to do"? Not at all. If you don't see value in it you won't get much out of it, plain and simple. WGU is pretty popular around here and gets a lot of certifications along with a degree. I don't know if anyone else can comment on that degree meaning a better job or a raise. You could probably check the dedicated threads.
    leencoo12 wrote: »
    I saying you should waste time travelling to participate in a degree that you "do not care to do"?
    _

Yea. If they had programs other than computer science I would be interested. Now as far as online 4 year degrees go I am interested for there are more IT specific degrees.
    SrSysAdmin wrote: »
    The fact that you even bothered to ask this question should tell you all you need to know.

That is right. I am a bit more relieved with this whole situation Job/School. I was told yesterday that the day I graduate I will be put on full time at my current job where I am intern. I was very glad of that, and now I am very willing to start knocking out a 4 year degree.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get that in writing brother. Also make sure the person who is saying this has the authority to make that promise.
    Get that in writing brother. Also make sure the person who is saying this has the authority to make that promise.

The person has the authority, but you are right I am not going to get my hopes up to max 100%, but I do fit the bill for the job, and I know everyone would love to see me there.

Nonetheless, I want bet all my chips on this, for I have been there long enough to learn that the corp world is borderline cut throat lol icon_thumright.gif