Options

Anyone ever question what they learned in college?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Bill Gates doesn't have a college degree either. (Though the one argument I like to counter that is that he's a Harvard dropout... :) ).

Many management jobs I see require one at least a BS (it's the new HS diploma). Skilled labor....you're pretty much ok with HS as long as you got competency and/or certs....anything higher....

The degree is where it's at.

Even the two folks on TE that didn't have a degree that broke into IT management.....it's a rarity to do it without one. In fact, they're both WGU grads (or rather one will become one, the other is a graduate)

Getting into IT management without a degree does happen, but so does Haley's Comet coming by every 75 years................

What's your opinion of the Master's degree (usually MBA) for management? Required?

As for Bill Gates, it helped a lot that he was an entrepreneur (no one had to hire him directly), had rich and connected parents, and was in a great place/great time. Obviously hard work played a huge part, but you can't discount the others.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ssampier wrote: »
    What's your opinion of the Master's degree (usually MBA) for management? Required?

As for Bill Gates, it helped a lot that he was an entrepreneur (no one had to hire him directly), had rich and connected parents, and was in a great place/great time. Obviously hard work played a huge part, but you can't discount the others.

I'm gonna try and see if I even need one first after my degree. I'd like to think that if I got this far without a BS, maybe I can get into Management with a BS (many managers I know don't have a MBA, or MS in Management). In many state governments, a MS in Management/MBA will substitute a couple of years in lieu of experience (I can play with that though....I do "technically" have experience in managing people/people under me for short term projects...I'm just trying to get that full time.)

Having said that though, I do see value in a MS in Management/MBA for a multitude of reasons. #1 reason for me though is because I have "hooks" that will give me a shot at adjunct professoring at local colleges. I'd also like to adjunct in retirement just to stay busy (like many other adjuncts do). But having one would certainly help in a management career, no question. It definitely can't hurt.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Masters can't hurt for sure. I just wonder in the back of my mind if it's worth it dollar-for-donuts.

I guess that question is like asking, "How long is this piece of string?" It depends on the person, situation, etc.

Carry on.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I question what I know every day. I find that the more I learn and the more that I study, the more doors that open and I feel like I know nothing. A new problem can come up and stump me.

But that is purely my own perception. Occasionally I will talk with people that I believe to be near equals, and find that I take for granted lots of things like ip addresses/subnetting, certificates, DNS, ect. There are lots of "techs" who know about these things, but really have no idea how it works.

I think we all do this to an extent. Always focused on that next opportunity and never slowing down the things that we have accomplished. College was very important for me, that was where I transitioned from being a home power user to becoming an admin. Looking back, I really didn't learn a ton of things. But what I did learn set the playing field for everything that I have taken on since. I said this somewhere else, but I've learned far more in a year of study than I did in 2 years of college. But I wouldn't be where I am today without picking up that basic stuff.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    I always question what other people tell me to be true; college is no different. Or are you asking whether I question the value of what I learned in college? I am of the opinion that ALL knowledge is good knowledge, so not really.

Do I question whether it relates directly to making money? Of course... but then, I don't believe that life is about making myself into the most awesome robot on the face of the planet. Working is something I do to build the funds to do what I like to do, not something I do after agonizing over how it'll translate into a raise.

College is fun. Certification is (as a rule) fun too.

Heck, learning anything is fun. Anyone have any insight into self-studying to be a surgeon? icon_wink.gif
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As an alternative to a B.S. degree would Six Sigma help at all in the IT world to get into management?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Priston wrote: »
    As an alternative to a B.S. degree would Six Sigma help at all in the IT world to get into management?

Project Management, perhaps.....but I doubt IT management without a BS to back that up. It's just another PM methodology.

For that, you're better getting a PMP cert.