Options

epic fail

neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just bombed an interview this morning; put on the suit, drove to the office . . . . could not will myself out of the car.

It's embarrassing and abnoxious that I have 10yrs of solid IT experience and have been in far more stressful situations than an interview but somehow a little jitters turns into a major show stopper.

So my question is - how do you deal with interview anxiety?

Comments

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are ways to deal with it?

Lol, I'm terrible. I was in a couple places just asking to intern for a while (to get experience) and I'm still all jittery and I'm sure walking out the back of my shirt is all sweaty. It's so embarassing icon_sad.gif
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I usually interview when I don't need to find a job so I am more calm naturally. I know it does not make sense to search when you don't need one but I am always paranoid with the job market so I figure I might as well search just for the hell of it. Its how I got my last several jobs.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    The only way to deal with it is to prepare for it. And get some practice in the more interviews you attend the less stressfull they become.

There are techniques you can use such as NLP, meditation etc to help calm the nerves and help focus but nothing beats practice and preperation.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    I hear ya guys, I'm seriously considering a business communications course or take a freebie interview skills course at the career center nearby.

A little bit of back story though, my last job was a small consulting firm. I got the job based on my technical abilities but the postion was 60% meetings with executives, pitching ideas, progress reporting etc which was completely out of my comfort zone (I had been the typical It guy who lived in the wiring closet and only came out when there was a fire) and completely intimidating. by the time I got laid off I was happy to go but my confidence was so low I was questioning myself at every turn.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hate talking face to face, and on the phone. Part of the reson is struggling with dyslexic. Which is not jsut about written work, I also have issues forming sentances on the fly espicaly when under pressure. ITs all clear in my mind but getting that across to another person can be dificult, espicaly as I say when under pressure.

My advice is to make sure you are perpared to answer any questions about the job hinted at from the job specs and if you don't know about a topic have an reason why They don't expect you to know everything, but if you can give a reason why you don't know it. For example they want you to tell them how to set up firewall brand X while you work with Brand Y. Then make sure you are ready to explain you understand the theroy even if not the exact application of the knowlage.

Second do a decent back ground history on the company,the job I have just recived an offer for I made the mestake of not doing this!!! and got a bit of a grilling in the interview. Thankfully apart from this the interview went well. But know when they formed, how big they are, and 4 or 5 of there core functions/services, Plus any majoy achivments or awards they have. Don't do like I did, and when asked if I knew if the company was a cisco partner, to not know, and then to get home and find out they have won the cisco partner of the year 3 times!!!

And finaly when you go in ask for a glass of water, (if one is not provided or offered). Then make a mental note that before answering a question to take a sip. And use the few seconds to think of the questions and how you will answer (or even if you need to ask them to repet/clarifly). You will only need to do it for the first few questions, as after that the nerves die down. But it is a great way to give yourself a few seconds to clear you mind, with out feeling like the room is staring at you waiting for an answer. If you need longer take two sips, but don't gulp as the last thing you want is to need a new glass after 2 questions ;). I do belive this is the reason why at most interviews they will offer you a drink!

But most of all be your self, don't jsut answer with yes/no, talk to the people interviewing you, try to make it a conversation about you rather than a question and answer session. And remember the very worst that can happen is a company says NO. They can't sack you, affect other interviews, you can make a complete tit of yoursel but once you walk out and close the door you never have to see them again! So apply to lots of jobs, get interviews and as people have said get practice.

It took me about 20 interviews and lots of experice before I feel any way near confident in them.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    You have to approach it like you approach asking a beautiful woman on a date. Sure you would like too, but honestly its not the most important thing in the world. That mindset puts you in a place of calm confidence that helps you mentally and tells the interviewer that you are self assured and interested in the opportunity but not too eager.
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah i screwed up a few with nerves and at this one the interviewer was a bit crap started giving me a lectuer and seemed like he was just shouting at me in the face and my heart went raceing and fear kicked in other times my heart rate has gone up and I got the shakes must of looked a right state or like a drugie or something. so I threw a few away because of that. It anoyyed me a lot so I went to the doctor and got some beta blockers they worked quite well for me they are not for every one but I had a few before my interview and then I felt the fear creeping onto me during my interview but then the beta blockers kicked in and I got through with little fear so thats my way of dealing with it pills from the doctor!

and also dont drink too much caffinee cut fizzy drinks out the diet and keep away from the coffee
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DoubleD wrote: »
    yeah i screwed up a few with nerves and at this one the interviewer was a bit crap started giving me a lectuer and seemed like he was just shouting at me in the face and my heart went raceing and fear kicked in other times my heart rate has gone up and I got the shakes must of looked a right state or like a drugie or something. so I threw a few away because of that. It anoyyed me a lot so I went to the doctor and got some beta blockers they worked quite well for me they are not for every one but I had a few before my interview and then I felt the fear creeping onto me during my interview but then the beta blockers kicked in and I got through with little fear so thats my way of dealing with it pills from the doctor!

and also dont drink too much caffinee cut fizzy drinks out the diet and keep away from the coffee

Drugs for interview anxiety? Really?! I can see if you are having panic attacks on the highway or something disabilitating, but for interviews?

Like IT consultant said is probably the best way to put it. And don't drink coffee or soda like Dx2 mentioned. Those can cause nervous flare ups.
  • Options
    I was going to reply that I have some ***** lying around from previous stress issues and that I should try taking those before interviews, but then I decided I didn't want to go in there TOO relaxed! So ... yeah.

I have had an interview where I absolutely positively KNEW I wasn't going to get the job (and actually only applied so I could see what kind of questions were asked, because I knew I was going to apply for real a year or two later when I was more likely to get it), and it was probably the least stressful interview I had, so I think DevilWAH's 5th paragraph is pretty good to consider too.

(edit): but of course difficult to do when you really need the job (the boat I'm usually in lol)

• Options
    oH yeah I forgot to mention this story as well
    I am an ex drug addict dont do it any more im sober and happy but any how one time I developed this minor tremor sort of thing you cant really notice it unless im really under a lot of stress!! But I think it developed from my drug phase. But any way the story is this I once went for interview it was stress and the tremor must of kicked up so didnt perform to good. Then I came outside and sat with the other candidates did all the small talk and stuff like that and one of the other candidates must have notices my tremor thing and he just said to me why are you shaking why are you shaking?? I was not very happy about that and just said in my mind "How Unprofessional are you?" I thought that was unreal for him to say some thing like that shows you how unprofessional some people can be at interviews. Thats like if I went to an interview and went up to a disabled person at the interview and started to ask them questions about being disabled!!
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Drugs for interview anxiety? Really?! I can see if you are having panic attacks on the highway or something disabilitating, but for interviews?

just got this off the net

Propranolol is a drug that has been used to treat high blood pressure, but is now being used in lower doses for the treatment of anxiety and ptsd. The drug being a beta blocker helps to minimise or relieve the physical symptoms of anxiey, such as the tremor you mention. The good thing about Propranolol is that it is not a dependence forming drug as is ******. Many health professionals I have known would take a dose of Propranolol before a job interview to 'calm their nerves'.
    Source(s):
    30+ years as a mental health professional
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DoubleD wrote: »
    just got this off the net

Propranolol is a drug that has been used to treat high blood pressure, but is now being used in lower doses for the treatment of anxiety and ptsd. The drug being a beta blocker helps to minimise or relieve the physical symptoms of anxiey, such as the tremor you mention. The good thing about Propranolol is that it is not a dependence forming drug as is ******. Many health professionals I have known would take a dose of Propranolol before a job interview to 'calm their nerves'.
    Source(s):
    30+ years as a mental health professional

I think I would cut out the caffiene first and the nicotine for that matter if you smoke.

If you can get the desired results from removing a substance that is effecting you, then I would go with that first, then just throwing drugs at the problem. There are side effects with those drugs. It can turn you into a zombie if you don't watch it. That seems to be our culture however. Medicate and roll on through life.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, I have another interview this Friday morning and hopefully another early next week when I hear back from the recruiter.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I think I would cut out the caffiene first and the nicotine for that matter if you smoke.

If you can get the desired results from removing a substance that is effecting you, then I would go with that first, then just throwing drugs at the problem. There are side effects with those drugs. It can turn you into a zombie if you don't watch it. That seems to be our culture however. Medicate and roll on through life.

What I always gripe at people about: Better living through chemistry (tm)

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    2 Things

1 - treat it like a regular conversation.
    2 - prepare. the same questions are generally asked just to see how you respond, so dont sweat it. Know that they're going to ask you about your most stressful situation, how you would describe yourself, how your friends would describe you etc, what do you know about this company, where do you see yourself in 5 years....its all the same after you see it from the top down.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Awe, you never got out of the car?? I can sympathize with you though..

I used to work for Bell Atlantic (now Verizon). Long story short, I put a few resumes out there and got a bite for a Wall street firm

I remember standing across the street, looking at the building, ready to piss my pants, lol. But I forced myself in.. turns out me and the manager hit it off, got hired, and that was my first IT job.

You never know how things will go... next time, get out of the car :)
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Get some of your friends to do practice interviews. I had to do practice boards when I was in the army (when I was up for promotion). Same deal with interviews. And do it with different people interviewing you.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I figure the worst that can happen is that they say no so just go for it and do your best. If you don't get it then it wasn't meant to be. Move on and look elsewhere.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    Get some of your friends to do practice interviews. I had to do practice boards when I was in the army (when I was up for promotion). Same deal with interviews. And do it with different people interviewing you.

I've heard of this before, but I don't really buy it. You can never have the same "everything depends on my performance right now" mindset in a practice interview with friends. My previous job actually let you do practice interviews with random supervisors (who did the real interviews), and I always did extremely well on those simply because the 'bad outcome' was the exact same as the 'good outcome' -- nothing.

• Options
    TheSweetnessTheSweetness Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think (or hope) everyone can relate to bombing an interview. I've been there. Underprepared/overly arrogant. Find out you can't even answer the most simple questions. Good thing is a bombed interview will help you over prepare for the next one, and the next one, and the next one.

You start to realize how useful all the pointers really are. Research the company; make sure you can say at least something about every skill set listed on the position summary. Get SLEEP the night before. If it's an early interview make sure you do something to wake up (not just a bunch of caffeine) -- go for a run, eat a meal. Get yourself talking beforehand, whether it's just the introduction/small talk, describing an experience you excelled at, or your closing "this is why i'm the ****" statement. Getting your brain in the right gear to start putting together intelligent sentences beforehand helps.

Once you get in the mode of knowing what you have to do beforehand to have a good interview, it becomes like clockwork. If you end up getting asked a bunch of questions you are truly unfamiliar with, chalk it up to it not being a good fit anyway. Don't end the interview completely deflated. Remain "perky", and an interviewer will remember you (possibly for a future opening or to refer to a colleague).

On a final note about nerves, I've read (and agree) you're either nervous or not. If you are, acknowledge it and move on. Don't dwell on "omg my voice trembled, my hands are shaking, my palms are clammy". Nerves are all part of the process. To an experienced interviewer it shows you are truly interested in impressing those you are talking to in an effort to be offered the position.
  • Options
    bermovick wrote: »
    I've heard of this before, but I don't really buy it. You can never have the same "everything depends on my performance right now" mindset in a practice interview with friends. My previous job actually let you do practice interviews with random supervisors (who did the real interviews), and I always did extremely well on those simply because the 'bad outcome' was the exact same as the 'good outcome' -- nothing.

I agree, Practice interview with friends or wirth people you know well don't really help with nervers, they are good for learning how to answer questions but like has been said becasue they dont affect you what ever the outcome you are more relaxed.

However at my company they do run practice interviews, that are used to train the intevewier. The normaly have a very experinced uinterviewer along side the trainie. In this case when one of the guys across the table is the director of the company, then OK the result might not affect you current postition, but you still don't want to look stupid!!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i tend to go in with the attitude that im going to do the best i can, be honest, ask if i dont understand something etc and then if thats not good enough then it just isnt meant to be. i find this calms me down and takes the pressure off a tad. That and a nice cup of cold water is my ammunition to gun them down :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    OP, I have years of experience of doing interview-type situations, presentations in front of small groups, and generally stressful conversations with one or more people.

The one thing I can tell you that helps the most is doing it more often. It's not like riding a bike, where you just magically figure it out and you're done. It's like exercising. If you don't do it at least semi-often, you won't see any results.

Find ANY way to simulate the type of environment you're expecting to go into, whether it be with your friends or a mentor you can trust. Or better yet, go to Toastmasters. They will all feel stupid when you first start doing it, but when you get into a meeting and have that feeling at your next interview like wow... I can do this and not feel stressed and actually enjoy myself, you'll never turn back.

Good luck.

Edit to add: Check out some http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Carnegie books. They can help the beginner immensely. One gem "remind yourself before you start that your audience loves you and will forgive you for all mistakes"
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    Didn't read all but lately a beta blocker is my dear friend (Atenolol). I have PTSD after the birth of the babies and had started to stutter when something made me anxious baby-related (like family members doing things with their heads planted up their arse endangering the little ones). Very calming! I take a low dose - only 12.5 mg/day - but it really helps!
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Didn't read all but lately a beta blocker is my dear friend (Atenolol). I have PTSD after the birth of the babies and had started to stutter when something made me anxious baby-related (like family members doing things with their heads planted up their arse endangering the little ones). Very calming! I take a low dose - only 12.5 mg/day - but it really helps!

I also have PTSD although it was from an armed robbery... I quite like my medication. It has dramatically reduced the stress involved with situations that would normally increase my Anxiety.

I have to say that interviews are not that stressful anymore.
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    citinerd wrote: »
    I also have PTSD although it was from an armed robbery... I quite like my medication. It has dramatically reduced the stress involved with situations that would normally increase my Anxiety.

I have to say that interviews are not that stressful anymore.

Yup, my interview was fine recently. Thank you atenolol! I had been taking 25 mg but it made me so tired. Ironically, I also had three cats who took atenolol (I fostered and was drawn to caring for heart kitties although it was heartbreaking) - never imagined I would take it myself. Am hoping I can wean off of medication as the NICU experience fades further into the past but if not, at least I get blood pressure control at the same time - it was perfect last doctor visit.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    Hey- just got back from my interview, I used someones advice to just treat it as a conversation and not blow it up in my head which really seemed to work (not to mention killed 20min in the parking lot reviewing my resume and talking to myself.)

Anyways, it went really well. Fingers crossed they'll call me. It was a Desktop Support/server admin for a medium (140 users) medical company with some periodic field trips to thier other offices in the area.
  • Options
    Hey Folks,

So after 8 months on unemployment I finally scored a gig working for a local health care provider in the boston area. Thanks guys and gals for your comments, they really helped me put interviewing in perspective.

Holla!
  • Options
    cool well done mate!! !great stuff!!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    neocybe wrote: »
    scored a gig working for a local health care provider
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!