Options

'Damn you guys!' or 'I got a Console Server'

Comments

• Options
    MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So you are SSH'ing in via your network connection and not the Console Ports?

Yup...with the SCS1620 or any other console server (I use the Avocent Cyclades 16-port) the idea is to provide centralized management of your rack gear. All I have to do is SSH to my domain name then its one more step from there to get to the gear I want that's connected via console.

I have not done this yet, do you have the same control? My laptop does have Kubuntu on it in a dual boot configuration w/ win7

You can do everything I just said via puTTY, or your SSH client of choice so your laptop's OS is irrelevant.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    Well as stated before I was still working on getting the SCS1620 Console Server to talk with the Cisco Equipment, well I got it done today, it was a cabling problem that one of the techs from Lantronix (Thanx to Gary there) helped with, which was way cool, as this unit is LONG out of warranty.

The unit will require some custom cable making, but that was easy to make once I had the correct pin-outs, which are as follows for anyone that gets one of these units:

Cisco RJ45 _________SCS1620 RJ45 (configured as a DTE)
    3 TxD (out). . . . . . . . 2 Rx (In)
    4 Gnd . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 GnD (wires from both 4 and 5 on the Cisco both
    5 Gnd . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 GnD connected to pin 5 on the SCS1620)
    6 RxD (in) . . . . . . . . . 3 Tx (out)

I would also like to thank one of our members ShoDown for his attempt at helping me figure this out!

Next step is just waiting for the Cat 5 roll of wire and the boots that I order to show-up for final wiring. Pictures to follow.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Here is a photo of the Console Server completely up and running, with the Cisco equipment in my Lab-Rack each assigned thier own IP address to PuTTY/Telnet to:

ConsoleScreenCapture.jpg

Sorry the photo is a little wide, took the screen capture on a dual monitor workstation. but this is just damn cool to be able to sit at my workstation and control/configure the lab rack.

Next I am going to remove the old Console Port Plate that had machined and replace it with a new one that will only have one Console Port and one Terminal/Console Port for the Lantronix SCS16020 Console Server, and all the Ethernet Ports for the routers up front, that way the only reason to go to the back of the unit will be to move the SMART SERIAL cables around.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    richandyrichandy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What 1U power supply did you use?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    Here is a photo of the Console Server completely up and running, with the Cisco equipment in my Lab-Rack each assigned thier own IP address to PuTTY/Telnet to:
    Tabs :P
    all the Ethernet Ports for the routers up front, that way the only reason to go to the back of the unit will be to move the SMART SERIAL cables around.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just turn the routers around? All of your routers have all the connections at back anyway. This way you can access all the ethernet ports, Smart Serial and whatever other interfaces you've got directly.
  • Options
    richandy wrote: »
    What 1U power supply did you use?

I used a 1U power supply out of an old Dell Poweredge 350 Server, but there are better and smaller units, this is just what I had around.

It had a standard ATX connector on it, which I removed, you only need the Ground, +3.3V and +5V.

You could use something like this:

YCL NAD-20 3.3V 3A, 5V 0.5A 1U OPEN FRAME POWER SUPPLY on eBay (end time 09-Dec-10 19:04:39 GMT)

or one like this which is more like what I used only I took the case off it.

EMACS MPW-6150F 150WATT 1U POWER SUPPLY on eBay (end time 13-Nov-10 15:12:01 GMT)
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    tiersten wrote: »
    Tabs :P

I actually work alot like he does, I prefer windows to tabs, I like to be able to see immediately when changes made on one side have an impact on the other, and switching between tabs just pisses me off hehe
  • Options
    kyojikyoji Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am now a proud owner of an SCS1620, thanks to your post!

It arrived today unable to boot, but a quick flash and its running like a champ. Now to figure out how to get this thing secured (running SSLv2, and allowing SSHv1.. ssh is an easy fix)!!
  • Options
    kyoji wrote: »
    I am now a proud owner of an SCS1620, thanks to your post!

It arrived today unable to boot, but a quick flash and its running like a champ. Now to figure out how to get this thing secured (running SSLv2, and allowing SSHv1.. ssh is an easy fix)!!

Congrats! And I am glad that I could help.

Please post what you have done and how you did it, for myself and others.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    TwistedSwitchTwistedSwitch Registered Users Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mierdin wrote: »
    My solution in this scenario is usually to use SSH/puTTY to tunnel from some internet location to a server at my house, then administer my equipment from there -

I was considering that, but the only downside I can think of is that the VTY will have to be setup each time, and If I keep zeroing everything out doing different labs and trying different things I will ultimately still have to use a yost cable to console back in because with a zeroed out config I sure do not think I will be able to telnet into it.

Am I wrong? Is there a work around?
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I was considering that, but the only downside I can think of is that the VTY will have to be setup each time, and If I keep zeroing everything out doing different labs and trying different things I will ultimately still have to use a yost cable to console back in because with a zeroed out config I sure do not think I will be able to telnet into it.

Am I wrong? Is there a work around?

This is the point in having a console server, you connect to the console server, not the actual routers/switches, so then you can console in to any of the devices from a remote location.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    TwistedSwitchTwistedSwitch Registered Users Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    then you can console in to any of the devices from a remote location.

I Thought so. I may have to pick one of these off ebay.
  • Options
    I will ultimately still have to use a yost cable to console back in
    A Cisco console cable and a cable wired to the Yost standard aren't the same. Cisco wired their version slightly differently with the DSR and DTR line instead. That said, Cisco generally doesn't use the handshaking lines at all on the console port so its not normally an issue if you're just using that port. If you're using the aux port for attaching a modem as that does use the handshaking lines and has more than the console port then it may matter depending on your configuration.
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Hey guys, Is one of these console servers considered a must have or a life saver? I am building a small lab for CCNA which will sit right next to my desktop/laptop.

I am trying to keep things $simple$ with my lab, but I figure with some configurations I will have to make will require me to console into multiple items.

I was thinking that if push came to shove I could buy 2 serial port cards which have 2 serial ports each. That will be cheaper than buying one of these Console servers(Not as cool, but cheaper). The cheapest one I saw on e-bay was like the OP`s not powering on. The rest were out of my willing price range. I can get a couple serial cards for 30 bucks, and turn my desktop into a console server.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    Hey guys, Is one of these console servers considered a must have or a life saver? I am building a small lab for CCNA which will sit right next to my desktop/laptop.
    It is just easier to use. Nothing stopping you from moving your single console cable between devices.
    I was thinking that if push came to shove I could buy 2 serial port cards which have 2 serial ports each.
    The other budget option which will allow more expansion is to just buy a number of USB serial adapters. If you can get 4 serial ports for $30 on two cards however then that appears to be cheaper unless you can get a really good deal on the USB serial adapters. The serial cards have less opportunity for expansion however since you'll be limited by number of slots.
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370

The other budget option which will allow more expansion is to just buy a number of USB serial adapters.

Thanks for reminding me of those things, I just bought 5 off e-Bay for 18 bucks shipped. I have an old PC that I will Frankenstein together as my console server then I will remote desktop into it or use Putty etc.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    I was really unhappy to find that there was only a tool to setup telnet-to-ip/port and no ssh (unless I'm totally blind). So I hacked together a work around. Once implemented you can ssh to the IP and be dropped in to the switch/router term.
    SSHD: port 22
    User: Cisco

Step 1:
    Create a user that will only be used for accessing devices (Cisco in this example).

Step 2:
    As sysadmin run telnetconfig and setup the port for telnet as normal using an IP that ends with the device port number (10.0.0.15) *we are only doing this so it can take care of creating the interface and IP for us*.

Step 3:
    type "bash" to enter the bash shell, then "su root" password "root".

Step 4:
    You are going to now edit the line in "/etc/profile" to look like this:
    LCI_FORCE_CI=false

Step 5:
    Navigate to your users home folder (cd /home/Cisco) and edit the file ".bash_profile".
    This is what the bottom section of mine looks like:

#now start the LCI Shell
    #/lci/bin/ci ; logout

#ssh-to-IP
    SPORT=`echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $2}'` 
    DEVPORT=`netstat -te | grep $SPORT | cut -c 28-29`

/usr/local/bin/direct --quiet $DEVPORT 

*Pay close attention to the "cut" command, as it will change depending on how many numbers are in the IP you use. Example, 10.0.0.115 = cut -c 29-30*

reboot and you should be set to go. You will need to make sure to kill the connection to the device with "ESC A" be for closing the window or you will be dropped to a bash shell on reconnect as there is a connection to that device still open.

******Update*******
    To make things more secure and not have it drop to bash on error, use this instead in /etc/profile :
    /usr/local/bin/direct --quiet $DEVPORT || /lci/bin/ci ; logout

• Options
    I was really unhappy to find that there was only a tool to setup telnet-to-ip/port and no ssh (unless I'm totally blind). So I hacked together a work around. Once implemented you can ssh to the IP and be dropped in to the switch/router term.
    -Snip-

[/code]

Now that is pretty cool, I dont need to use this yet but its damn cool that you can! I am so glad that other (with more knowledge then me) have got this same unit.

As a question how many of us bought one of these now?
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    I surely can't be the only one? For only $34 with shipping on ebay, how can you not pick one up?

As none of my comps have DB-9 connectors. It was going to cost around $14 on amazon for a good converter to manage one unit at a time, why not put in a little extra and manage 16 at a time!!

Big thanks to ZeroHunter for the pinouts.. Man that would of been a pain trying to solve that one. ;)
  • Options

Big thanks to ZeroHunter for the pinouts.. Man that would of been a pain trying to solve that one. ;)

It was! It took about a week of back and forth email to the Lantronix tech support guy, that was why I posted the Pin-Outs. I did not want anyone else to have to deal with that one.

I agree with you, for the cost, how can you go wrong, I personally had built a Serial Port Output Board (see original post) and $3.oo USB to Serial adapters off eBay (outta China), but this is so much nicer and way WAY cooler the USB cable.

I now have 5 Static IPs in my house so I am thinking about putting the SCS1620 on the web, but I am changing a few pieces of hardware around once that is all done I will post new pics and look to putting it all on the web.

Nice thing there is multiple people are supposed to be able to log in at once so getting help with something should be easy as giving someone a log-in name/pass.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    I surely can't be the only one? For only $34 with shipping on ebay, how can you not pick one up?
    Not over here! They're expensive! Boo...
  • Options
    Nice thing there is multiple people are supposed to be able to log in at once so getting help with something should be easy as giving someone a log-in name/pass.

Very good point, never crossed my mind. Although, only one person is able to interact with the device. All other users can watch using the "listen [port]" command.

My next goal is to try and get a package manager working. The only thing I can find on it, is a broken rpm install. Some one mentioned it was based off Debian. Now if we can get aptitude working we would be golden! ;)
    Not over here! They're expensive! Boo...

Thats a bummer. =(
  • Options
    Here is the pinout for HP 2500-2600 (DB-9 on switch).

8P8C/DB9 -HP | DB9/8P8C -SCS1620 (DTE)
    (RTS) 1
    8 (CTS)
    (TX debug)2
    6 (DSR)
    (TXD) 3
    2 (RXD)
    (GND) 4
    5 (GND)
    (DCD) 5
    1 (DCD)
    (RXD) 6
    3 (TXD)
    (RX debug) 7
    4 (DTR)
    (CTS) 8
    7 (RTS)

I took a DB9 to RJ45 rollover cable, cut the RJ45 end off and repinned it as above attached that end to the SCS1620 and the DB9 to the HP switch. Works fine so far.

*source : DIY – HP ProCurve console cable | RNTMNS
  • Options
    Here is the pinout for HP 2500-2600 (DB-9 on switch).

8P8C/DB9 -HP | DB9/8P8C -SCS1620 (DTE)
    (RTS) 1
    8 (CTS)
    (TX debug)2
    6 (DSR)
    (TXD) 3
    2 (RXD)
    (GND) 4
    5 (GND)
    (DCD) 5
    1 (DCD)
    (RXD) 6
    3 (TXD)
    (RX debug) 7
    4 (DTR)
    (CTS) 8
    7 (RTS)

I took a DB9 to RJ45 rollover cable, cut the RJ45 end off and repinned it as above attached that end to the SCS1620 and the DB9 to the HP switch. Works fine so far.

So the HP ProCurve Switch has a DB-9 port not RJ-45?

I made a cable of the same sort DB-9 to RJ-45 to go to the Console port of the SCS1620 with a DB-9 to the Serial Port of the Ole' Crappy XP laptop I have or the USB-2-Serial when using my 'newer' laptop. I had to make another of that type for my Cobalt Web Server, for that one I used a Null-Modem Cable (DB-9 on both ends) cut it off at the length I wanted and put the RJ-45 on the end to go into the SCS1620.

Basically I did the same thing, I cut off one end of a RJ-45 Straight Through Cable and connected the pins appropriately to the DB-9 Female from 'The Shack'*

Did you build a Console cable for the SCS1620? Or did you just SSH into the 10/100 port?

Mine was kinda a mess, so I had to build the Console Cable so that I could see what was going on, when it boot, it had OLD firmware and a password I could not get out, so the Server got a re-flash.

*That's what they want you to call it now.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    So the HP ProCurve Switch has a DB-9 port not RJ-45?
    You can buy RJ45 <-> DB9 adapters for not much. Most of them come with the pins not actually in the DB9 shroud so you can configure it how you want. I've got a bag of the StarTech ones and they work fine. It means I don't need to have any special cables and just use a regular one.
  • Options
    You can buy RJ45 <-> DB9 adapters for not much. Most of them come with the pins not actually in the DB9 shroud so you can configure it how you want. I've got a bag of the StarTech ones and they work fine. It means I don't need to have any special cables and just use a regular one.

These things are way cool. Can they only be configured one time?

@ZeroHunter

Yeah, I use telnet/SSH to access the SCS1620 after a fresh flash. So its the same pinout for the terminal port of the CS? I'd like to have one as a backup solution.
  • Options

Yeah, I use telnet/SSH to access the SCS1620 after a fresh flash. So its the same pinout for the terminal port of the CS? I'd like to have one as a backup solution.

I can look it up, but the pin-ous are in the Appendix of the manual, that was how I built mine, as a note a CISCO console cable will NOT work.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Can they only be configured one time?
    They're supposed to be one time only but if you're careful you can pull the wire back out again.
  • Options
    richandyrichandy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I brought one and ended up with two. One of the unit power supplies are totally shot, ZeroHunter's solution of using a 1U power supply is good. The other unit I received has one power supply working, but the CF card is shot. Anyone knows what kind of format is used? Anyone can send me a image copy of their CF card?
    With all of that going on, I purchased the DIGI CM32, Digi CM - Secure, Intelligent and Easy Console Management - Digi International for $100.00 shipped from eBay. This unit is great, you don't need any special cable pin outs for Cisco. You just use a regular RJ45.
  • Options
    richandy wrote: »
    I brought one and ended up with two. One of the unit power supplies are totally shot, ZeroHunter's solution of using a 1U power supply is good. The other unit I received has one power supply working, but the CF card is shot. Anyone knows what kind of format is used? Anyone can send me a image copy of their CF card?

OK I finally got around to taking my SCS1620 Lantronix back out of the rack and loading the CF card into a linux machine so I could get some of this information:

scs1620_CFcard_patition_info_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps, I will post it on my site about this also, I took some photos of the power supply I installed also, its not the prettiest but you will get the idea, give me a couple days to get the photos up.

If someone can walk me through making an image of the card I will gladly do that and host the image off my site, I just don't have the skill set for that YET!

Also will an image retain the formatting?
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com