Options

perferct score?

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Sabalo wrote: »
    If your score in each of the sections listed on the test is maxed out, I suspect that you could infer that your score is the maximum score. icon_wink.gif Generally, people who max the sections out get 1000.

However on various other forums, there have been reports of scores over 1000. Until Microsoft actually confirms that 1000 is the highest score any guesses are educated asumptions :)

-Ken
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Some people are really good test takers. Others are not. Remember that guy you went to school with that barely studied the night before, and knocked the final out in 30 minutes with an A while everyone else was taking 2 hours? That was me. Multiple choice tests are a joke most of the time.

Actually no I don't know that guy. I was a finance major before switching over to management and we didn't have multiple choice exams. To be honest the easiest class I had in school related to finance was harder than any certification exam I have ever taken. I went to a solid brick and morter university. Just to get in the business school you had to carry a 3.0. Not to say it was Olin or Wharton school of business, but it wasn't a joke.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Spoken like a true 3.0 student...

Not to be a dick but to treat anyone capable of perfection on an exam as a **** is both ignorant and insulting. You really have to look at context more so than pure results. Nothing beats studying your butt off and really owning the material like being accused of cheating. Some people study for perfection, not just to pass. I can tell you that when I take a SANS exam - which tells you whether you got a question right or wrong immediately - I physically cringe when I see that I failed a question.

what's a 3.0 student? GPA?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    what's a 3.0 student? GPA?

What does that even mean? I am got the feeling Pauls comment was supposed to be an insult, but is it an insult if you do not understand it? The irony of being called ignorant by someone who just might be ignorant is not lost on me either.

I just ran this past a few friends of mine btw and they all agree, one of them pointed out that Daniel Petri has not even maxxed out an exam so yeah my position stands like it or lump it. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Never a perfect on a cert test. I'll agree that a perfect score is possible on any test if the testtaker has studied the right stuff and is just having a good day. I did get a "perfect" min passing score on the 70-642.
    I got 2 perfect scores in college back when I went to a B&M, once on a Chemistry final and once on an advanced engineering math exam. The math exam can be explained that the particular area of the test was Linear algebra and I had taken Linear algebra as an elective the quarter before. The chemistry test the instructor gave out his old tests to anyone interested and I studied tham and it helped me to get the 100 (felt almost like cheating as many questions were similar)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I think aceing an exam one time isn't a good indicator of dumping. I would be more suspicious of someone cracking out exams one right after another and nailing 900's or 90%+. That's just me though

I suppose so, but I guess you always have to leave room for those folks who are just really good at testing, pick up the subject very well and are extremely well prepared. The acid test is the field though. If someone has lots of great qualifications and fabulous scores ideally it tells me something about their capability, but confidence in someones ability to handle a high visibility complex change with potential impacts for a gadzillion customers isn't earned in the testing centre.
    eMeS wrote: »
    LOL, I agree, but also would point out that Mojo is from the UK, where they use an entirely different grading scale than we are used to here in our schools. Perfection is very uncommon graded against that scale, and although I don't completely agree with his sentiment, I can see where he's coming from....

However, we all know that the vast majority of certification exams are not graded according to a UK-type grading system....

MS

Yes it's a bit different here. I guess the ethos is there is always room for improvement.

One observation about the GPA thing is some people do seem to get very hung up about it.
  • Options
    SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    However on various other forums, there have been reports of scores over 1000. Until Microsoft actually confirms that 1000 is the highest score any guesses are educated asumptions :)

-Ken

Hmm, really? Sweet, I have another score to not ever get. icon_wink.gif Passing score is all that I really care about, personally. I hate to waste money!
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • Options
    Hada944Hada944 Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Perfect scores are great. You get more money, respect and the unending love of beautiful women (or men, whatever).

I'll never get a perfect score because I'm just not that smart. I had a mediocre GPA for my undergrad degree and a good one for my grad degree (although that does not count as much since it was an online school). I've applied for a lot of jobs and on those that I went on an interview to, none of the hiring managers ever asked me for my GPA or a score from my cert. I only have one, so it usually never comes up.

What do you call the guy who graduated last in medical school? Doctor.

All that being said, if I got a perfect score I would brag like an 11 year old girl with a new Hannah Montana shirt too.
    "Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough"
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    What does that even mean? I am got the feeling Pauls comment was supposed to be an insult, but is it an insult if you do not understand it? The irony of being called ignorant by someone who just might be ignorant is not lost on me either.

Only Paul can tell us, but I'll tell you how I see it.

Expecting mediocrity will only ever produce mediocre results.

In the US most grading scales go from 0.0 to 4.0, with 4.0 being the highest. A 3.0 is at a "B" level, and would technically be considered "above average". However, given the way our system works, "above average" is not really "above average". A 3.0 gpa in college in the US is somewhat mediocre, maybe even below mediocre.

In the US it's possible to achieve perfection in grading. The majority of certification exams are not graded according to a UK-based system, and therefore achieving a perfect score is not only possible, it happens often.

We have an odd system in the US. It's as if it's designed to make everyone feel good themselves, rather than to truly show how one compares to others.

If you really want to get into the oddities of our system then we should discuss the significant number of people (mostly in high school) who do "better than perfect" on a 4.0 grading scale, some of them achieving up to a "5.0 GPA" for taking classes that are worth more grade points on the 4.0 scale....

MS
    Hada944 wrote: »
    Perfect scores are great. You get more money, respect and the unending love of beautiful women (or men, whatever).

I'll never get a perfect score because I'm just not that smart. I had a mediocre GPA for my undergrad degree and a good one for my grad degree (although that does not count as much since it was an online school). I've applied for a lot of jobs and on those that I went on an interview to, none of the hiring managers ever asked me for my GPA or a score from my cert. I only have one, so it usually never comes up.

What do you call the guy who graduated last in medical school? Doctor.

All that being said, if I got a perfect score I would brag like an 11 year old girl with a new Hannah Montana shirt too.

+rep given for this...right on target

MS
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Yes it's a bit different here. I guess the ethos is there is always room for improvement.

I was personally very pleased when I earned a 58 on Service Support and a 67 on Service Delivery on my ITIL v2 Service Manager's Exam. Both are passing by a significant margin on that marking scale. Someone getting a perfect on either section is so rare that it might not have ever happened. Getting a 65 on both sections was considered "distinction".

MS
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    After taking so many tests, really the only thing that matters at the end of the day would be the pass/fail.

Don't get me the wrong the higher I score on a test the better I feel.. Well maybe. (Last BlackBerry/RIM test I passed, the lady thought I had failed because I didn't look to happy walking away from the computer, while I had passed lol)

I've come close to getting perfect but if I don't I won't lose any sleep over it. (I've scored in the 970/980 range on my CCNA Security/Wireless/ISCW tests, while I scored lower on my BSCMN and CCNA exams) and I've always wondered where I missed the perfect score but in my mind the number doesn't mean too much. I passed, I understand the material, and I can perform my job, I am happy icon_smile.gif .

As someone mentioned if you can score higher then a 1000 on a Microsoft is 1000 really the top score?

Anyway it's good to aim for perfection (and set goals), but if you don't achieve it, don't let it get you down.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Only Paul can tell us, but I'll tell you how I see it.

Expecting mediocrity will only ever produce mediocre results.

In the US most grading scales go from 0.0 to 4.0, with 4.0 being the highest. A 3.0 is at a "B" level, and would technically be considered "above average". However, given the way our system works, "above average" is not really "above average". A 3.0 gpa in college in the US is somewhat mediocre, maybe even below mediocre.

In the US it's possible to achieve perfection in grading. The majority of certification exams are not graded according to a UK-based system, and therefore achieving a perfect score is not only possible, it happens often.

We have an odd system in the US. It's as if it's designed to make everyone feel good themselves, rather than to truly show how one compares to others.

If you really want to get into the oddities of our system then we should discuss the significant number of people (mostly in high school) who do "better than perfect" on a 4.0 grading scale, some of them achieving up to a "5.0 GPA" for taking classes that are worth more grade points on the 4.0 scale....

MS

[FONT=&quot]Gotcha, and that makes sense, I am in no position to what is good bad, fair square or ugly, but I come from a country where perfect scores are just not common as you know so uncommon that most get treated with suspicion, if we had spate of prefect scores somewhere they would be investigated quick sharp, so imagine how cool that must be, you ace something and it does not just get brushed off, you actually get people drilling at you even deeper, and if you make it you are actually godlike, not just 1 in 20 god like but 1 in a million godlike, these might not apply to certs (again I cannot comment or judge but it applies to most things here, that just how it is)[/FONT]
  • Options
    I suppose so, but I guess you always have to leave room for those folks who are just really good at testing, pick up the subject very well and are extremely well prepared. The acid test is the field though. If someone has lots of great qualifications and fabulous scores ideally it tells me something about their capability, but confidence in someones ability to handle a high visibility complex change with potential impacts for a gadzillion customers isn't earned in the testing centre.

One observation about the GPA thing is some people do seem to get very hung up about it.

I would like to retract my statement if at all possible. My point which I didnt a $hitty job of explaining is people who get 15-20 certs in a year score 900's and average 10 mins a test.

Those to me a dumpers.
  • Options
    cabrillo24 wrote: »
    I've gotten near perfect scores with about 30 days of studying for my CompTIA certifications. All about understanding concepts, experience and really depends on how well people absorb the material. The exams themselves are not difficult and pretty straight forward, so if someone achieves a perfect score, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I do know that brain **** run rampant, but certifications honestly don't mean a thing if you don't have the experience to back it up.

+1

I am of the same school. I won't grab a certification if I don't use it in some capacity.

I've been doing a lot more networking lately at my job, so I decided to get Network +. I am about 100 pages in and the information is starting to fill the blanks and I am getting those Ahhhhh moments. To me that is what a certification is all about personally. Filling in the blanks and validating your experience.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would like to retract my statement if at all possible. My point which I didnt a $hitty job of explaining is people who get 15-20 certs in a year score 900's and average 10 mins a test.

Those to me a dumpers.

I would say 10 minutes a test is probably a fairer indication of that. But I understand what you are getting it.

Once you get into the territory of people with a whole slew of 900+ scores across many tests a decent proportion may well be fishy. But some people are just great at tests so you gotta leave a chink of daylight there for those folks!
  • Options
    I would say 10 minutes a test is probably a fairer indication of that. But I understand what you are getting it.

Once you get into the territory of people with a whole slew of 900+ scores across many tests a decent proportion may well be fishy. But some people are just great at tests so you gotta leave a chink of daylight there for those folks!

True enough
  • Options

Those to me a dumpers.

You’re never going to get that though, certainly not for the MS exams as you cannot verify that info, you can only verify the score and of course the pass/fail not how long it takes, so I can’t see people commenting on time taken, only pass/fail or if they are really up themselves the scores which of course are easily forged anyhow as they do not appear on any cert or transcript, only the print out from the exam centre.
  • Options
    Was anyone else amused that a thread about perfection has a misspelling in the title?

MS
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I have actually gotten perfect scores on a couple cert tests. It just depends on the test really. I also take tests very quickly, almost to a fault some times.

I made a perfect score on Sec+ in about 10 minutes. I also just did the CIW Foundation exam in about 5 minutes with a perfect score. I find on most foundational level exams I only have to skim the questions to find the answer. I think I took maybe 15 minutes or so to do my CCNA. I didn't get a perfect score, but its entirely possible to knock out exams super fast without cheating.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have actually gotten perfect scores on a couple cert tests. It just depends on the test really. I also take tests very quickly, almost to a fault some times.

I made a perfect score on Sec+ in about 10 minutes. I also just did the CIW Foundation exam in about 5 minutes with a perfect score. I find on most foundational level exams I only have to skim the questions to find the answer. I think I took maybe 15 minutes or so to do my CCNA. I didn't get a perfect score, but its entirely possible to knock out exams super fast without cheating.

I would PM you but figured I would ask it here in case others were interested as well.

If I buy your ****, do I need to give you my bank account information and go meet you in Nigeria to pick up my ****? :D
  • Options
    I would PM you but figured I would ask it here in case others were interested as well.

If I buy your ****, do I need to give you my bank account information and go meet you in Nigeria to pick up my ****? :D

Well I am the son of a wealthy king who has been captured, but that's a story for another time. I just need your credit card#, security code, social security number, mother's maiden name, perfect photocopy of your drivers license (passport will work), and a finger print card done at your local state police office. Simple as that my good man.icon_cool.gif

Also check out my free sample question. It's located directly in my signature there. It will give you a feel for how the Nigerian TestJack system works.
  • Options
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    You’re never going to get that though, certainly not for the MS exams as you cannot verify that info, you can only verify the score and of course the pass/fail not how long it takes, so I can’t see people commenting on time taken, only pass/fail or if they are really up themselves the scores which of course are easily forged anyhow as they do not appear on any cert or transcript, only the print out from the exam centre.

I have read Comptia will speak up and they do monitor how many test you take and if you are passing them quickly.
    Was anyone else amused that a thread about perfection has a misspelling in the title?

MS

Everytime I come back to the post.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Please stay on topic guys. It's obviously not about the topic curry being offensive, but clearly about this topic derailing into an off-topic discussion.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

MS

wow, i didn't notice that until now... i'm awesome
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    On this topic though. Some people are really good test takers while others are not. Good test takers can do the studying and walk in and ace an exam. Wish I could as I have trouble passing them lately.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790

Really? 10 minutes also for the Beer+? And this whatchamacallit gift of yours, earned you a 6-figures income?
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    Really? 10 minutes also for the Beer+? And this whatchamacallit gift of yours, earned you a 6-figures income?

Beer+ took years of practice. It was a skill I picked up.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I almost got a perfect score on my Forefront 2007 exam...I believe it was 950/1000

Every other test have been mid 700's and one test I got into the 800s (293 I believe)
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    I think MOST registered members here at TE would never use a ****. Where is the pride in that? Plus if you have been around for a couple months you probably would have read a thread or two on how we feel about them.
  • Options
    citinerd wrote: »
    I think MOST registered members here at TE would never use a ****. Where is the pride in that? Plus if you have been around for a couple months you probably would have read a thread or two on how we feel about them.

+1

Most people who spend a lot of time on here I would assume take their career seriously and realize that dumping leads you down a dead end road.

You do one or two you can probably fake it, but something tells me once a dumper always a dumper and once you start dumping high level certs your employer and teammates will pick up on that and you might end up being dumped yourself. Besides it's the knowledge you have that makes you a good employee and your work ethic.

Just my two cents.