Is a person without a HS degree hirable in IT if they have a certification?

2»

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    '

Isn't it great that we have CompTIA to offer certifications that no one cheats on and every employer can be assured are only awarded to people who are both trustworthy and highly skilled?

Seriously Mike, no one indicated that dishonesty only occurs in high school dropouts.

However, there are quite a few studies out there that demonstrate that high school dropouts are less trustworthy than people who completed high school. My point is, the point I'm making is not extreme and is well-supported.

MS
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you are misunderstanding my disagreement with your post eMes. I have no argument that the higher your education the more likely you are to be hired and that some organizations will not hire someone without a certain educational requirement. I'd hope you'd know I'm not that naive. What I have a problem with (and take personal offense to) is that you implied someone without a HS diploma is somehow less trustworthy due to that fact.

Let's be clear, I didn't "imply" anything, I clearly said that to be the case and I followed-up and showed that the conclusion is supported by research.

I'm sure that you are an exception to this general conclusion. I don't think any less of you because you didn't graduate high school; nor would it matter if I did.
    I do still beleive you have an outdated view on people without a proper HS education though. For all of the positions I have worked, or even interviewed for, the subject of a HS education has not come up one time. Once upon a time it may have been an important thing to ask of a candidate, but I don't think that is the norm today.

I clearly said that I see a GED as equivalent. Do you have a GED? IMO that checks the "high school education" box.

It's been a long time since I "applied for a job", however, every one that I ever applied for asked about high school education/GED on a standard application. Furthermore, anytime I've been in a bonded position, which is most of my career, completion of high school education/GED is a factor that determines the rate that is paid for the bonding.

If actuaries decide that there is more inherent risk in people without a certain level of education, then you can be assured that this is not because of an outdated world view, but is rather strongly supported by statistics.

MS