Options

Resume thread

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Yall know the deal. If yall can help me out that would be great.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would take out the, "references available upon request." That is an accepted fact with resumes now.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kind of like it actually.
    About the only recommendations I have are
    1) Fill in some of the open space you created on the right side of the pages
    2) Keep your dates in line/ consistent formatting (easy fix)
    3) Try to find a way for the job description to not be split between pages
    4) If you're gonna have a page fill it up. Otherwise try to fit the stuff on the previous page
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd remove the "work in progress SSCP" and the "references available upon request".
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    I would take out the, "references available upon request." That is an accepted fact with resumes now.

Noted. I will take out.
    earweed wrote: »
    Kind of like it actually.
    About the only recommendations I have are
    1) Fill in some of the open space you created on the right side of the pages
    2) Keep your dates in line/ consistent formatting (easy fix)
    3) Try to find a way for the job description to not be split between pages
    4) If you're gonna have a page fill it up. Otherwise try to fit the stuff on the previous page

Yea the formatting started to suck since it is a word 2k7 template and I been editing it in Open Office. Good tips.
    rwmidl wrote: »
    I'd remove the "work in progress SSCP"...

You don't think I should but my certs in progress on my resume?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Noted. I will take out.

Yea the formatting started to suck since it is a word 2k7 template and I been editing it in Open Office. Good tips.

You don't think I should but my certs in progress on my resume?

No, it just isn't the right spot for it. Bring it up in your cover letter and it could earn extra points. Speaking of cover letters, I would love to see more examples on TE ;)
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    list specific hardware you used. like for instance your network support working with Cisco routers. name which models
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bullet points for each job responsibility are a must, IMO. Your current resume looks like 3 pages from the middle of a textbook. I'd also try to keep it to 2 pages. You lose a about 1/3 of every page because of that silly pale orange frame on the right hand side. But it's definitely eye-catching and I'd read it if you applied for a job that I advertised.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Essendon wrote: »
    Bullet points for each job responsibility are a must, IMO. Your current resume looks like 3 pages from the middle of a textbook. I'd also try to keep it to 2 pages. You lose a about 1/3 of every page because of that silly pale orange frame on the right hand side. But it's definitely eye-catching and I'd read it if you applied for a job that I advertised.

+1 for bullet points. The resumes I've seen on TE really do transform into something more readable with bullet points.

Also the way you have these paragraphs set up as "In this position I did this..." is unusual, but not necessarily good or bad. Here are some examples you could consider, and decide what you like best:

• For Education
    [FONT=&quot]Studies focus on hardware troubleshooting, Microsoft server and network administration...........[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Studies emphasized advanced Unix and Linux system administration. Developed a working knowledge of.......... [/FONT]
    • For work experience
    [FONT=&quot]Coordinated with customers for major site changes. Maintained internal tools for managing site structure, news data, and digital media. Worked with third-party providers to ingest and integrate external content management systems.......[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Provided network support and troubleshooting services...........[/FONT]
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really like the layout even though I feel like you lose a lot of room with it. It's different, and like someone else said, not in a good or bad way. Just different.

Just a quick little thing...I notice in a few of the job history descriptions, you use the present tense instead of past. However, if you just changed it to past I think it would come off as too passive. For example, if it was my resume, I would change from:
    In this position, I am responsible for supporting Cisco routers, switches and firewalls
    To:
    This position required an in depth understanding of Cicso routers and Firewalls to effectively support and maintain...
    Something like that. From a personal perspective, I like active voice more than passive. It also looks good when you speak more eloquently on your resume. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]I also suggest trimming it down to 2 pages, and removing the references part as well as the SSCP in progress part. I'm not sure how it would look after, but if you got rid of the right column on page 2, you wouldn't have to lose any content to get it down to 2 pages.

Experiment with it. Your resume is a living document, and should not be static. [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I like it over all, but I'd do away with the side column and go with some bullets as others pointed out. The side column makes the resume unnecessarily long IMO with a lot of wasted space on the last two pages. I currently have a paragraph/bullet hybrid going on with my resume. I'll put a two to three sentence description of the job with a three to five bullets of major accomplishments, projects etc. Seems to be the best method I've found to get across what I want.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    networker, I'd like to see YOUR resume mate. I reckon it'd be pretty good. Mind posting it please?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    networker, I'd like to see YOUR resume mate. I reckon it'd be pretty good. Mind posting it please?

I'd rather not post mine. Trust me, you're not missing out on much anyway.

I will tell you that mine is very plain. All one font (Times New Roman), basic bullet points with bold for the headers. It fits two pages perfectly (took some time to get it right) and has three sections that I tweak for what I'm applying to.

Summary: A short three to five sentence paragraph about me and my experience. I'll add a specific hardware/software section on there if its requested as the recruiters usually do. That makes it about two and a quarter pages which I don't really like. I prefer the pages to be full.

Certs/Education: Self explanatory. Just includes my certs as I have no degree.

Professional Experience: A short and sweet paragraph and three to five bullets per job. I always try to make the bullets quantitative and specific with the paragraph being a higher level view. I don't list every employer I've had as a couple were short term that I moved on from. If it was only a couple months I leave it off.
  • Options
    Ok I redid my resume. I took the advice given (I think) and shortened it to one page. Let me know what you think.

edit: I thought about adding some pictures and color but I couldn't find a classy way to do it so I didn't add any of it.
  • Options
    Ok that's way better than before, but I'll repeat what I always say about a resume and its readability. Bullet point each job role and put a little more meat on each bullet point.

Though I said the resume looks better than before, but it looks like watered down version. You are really undercutting yourself by just saying "Responsible for configuring this and that", I'd rather say "Responsible for configuring Cisco Nexus, 3750 and 2950 series core switches" and "Secured network by using this and that". Elaborate a little, 2-3 sentences per bullet point. Be specific, not vague. You have some decent experience, I wouldnt mind seeing a 2 page version.

One thing that stuck out, see how you have written more for your lower-level jobs and hardly anything for your recent gigs. Again, you are not giving a potential employer much to look at. You are(or will be) applying for a Network Engineer role right??

Also the lower level jobs just go "Technologies used were this and that". That doesnt tell me what you did there, what did you do with them. To me it looks like you googled a few technologies, combined all them and chucked them into the resume. Sounds a tad harsh, but that's how it looks like. As a potential employer, I need to know what YOU did with a technology.

HTH.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I need to know what YOU did with a technology,

QFT. icon_thumright.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Ok that's way better than before, but I'll repeat what I always say about a resume and its readability. Bullet point each job role and put a little more meat on each bullet point.

Though I said the resume looks better than before, but it looks like watered down version. You are really undercutting yourself by just saying "Responsible for configuring this and that", I'd rather say "Responsible for configuring Cisco Nexus, 3750 and 2950 series core switches" and "Secured network by using this and that". Elaborate a little, 2-3 sentences per bullet point. Be specific, not vague. You have some decent experience, I wouldnt mind seeing a 2 page version.

My new version is a page and a quarter. I took two of my jobs off (geek squad and geeks on the way) and I am debating on putting them in. It would add more experience to my resume. I'll post a version with both on and both off.
    One thing that stuck out, see how you have written more for your lower-level jobs and hardly anything for your recent gigs. Again, you are not giving a potential employer much to look at. You are(or will be) applying for a Network Engineer role right??

I didn't even think about this. I think this is because that I have copied and pasted my descriptions from past resumes and I probably talked more about those positions because I had less experience then. Good catch.

I really want to get into more of a pure network centric role or a security analyst type role. I wouldn't mind working in a noc again but it would need to be progressive.
    Also the lower level jobs just go "Technologies used were this and that". That doesnt tell me what you did there, what did you do with them. To me it looks like you googled a few technologies, combined all them and chucked them into the resume. Sounds a tad harsh, but that's how it looks like. As a potential employer, I need to know what YOU did with a technology.

HTH.

I think this goes back to the other point you made. I think I just listed off the stuff there and just went.

Thanks for the responses, rep for you!

Attached is my new resume.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Looks awesome! Very well written and easy to quickly read through. My only suggestion is a manual page break (ctrl + enter) on the job that you have listed for 02/2008 - 09/2009 so that this job isn't split between two pages. You have plenty of extra space on page 2. If the gap looks too big on the bottom of page 1 with a manual page break I wouldn't do it though.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    Looks awesome! Very well written and easy to quickly read through. My only suggestion is a manual page break (ctrl + enter) on the job that you have listed for 02/2008 - 09/2009 so that this job isn't split between two pages. You have plenty of extra space on page 2. If the gap looks too big on the bottom of page 1 with a manual page break I wouldn't do it though.

I'd go with this and add a summary at the top to fill up the blank space. A summary is a great way to pump yourself up with a short paragraph that can grab attention.

I think the new one looks great though!
  • Options
    Ok way way better than before as the others have said, glad you took the advice. Just one last thing, ensure the tenses are the same throughout.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    For what its worth, I would expand on the top three job listings. They sound interesting. You can get a little more specific with your last job for example. Did you harden cisco routers using a specific technique? Did you lead a project related to security? Did you put a HIPS software or a layer 7 firewall etc in front of your servers? What about remediation and forensic investigation, did you ever have to investigate an even after it took place?

I am just throwing out ideas, I have no idea what you actually did at those jobs but I am sure you can find a project or task that you really excelled at, take that and expand on it. The jobs you are going to be looking for want to see initiative and project management type of behavior.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Question to all, when you list the job duties, responsibilities, and accomplishment in your previous job, don't you list them as past tense? We were always told that your past jobs should always be listed as past tense. *shrugs*
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Lose the colour. Most resumes are photocopied and passed to various departments. By the time it reaches your potential boss it will look a mess.

Keep an eye on the grammar. For previous positions you are still using 'In this position, I am responsible for...' when really it should be 'In this position, I was responsible for'.

Highlight your achievements. Employers want to know what you achieved for your previous employer: cost savings? Improved efficiency? Never had a day of sick in 12 months etc... It paints a positive picture and shows a trail of achievement at each place you worked. Use bullet points for the achievements as these are more important than your responsibilities.

Make it fit on 2 pages.

Lose the border, it just takes up unnecessary space.

I like the wordy bits about each job, these are good and prove you can communicate well.

Edit: Just spotted the new version. Much preferred the original with some tweaking.
  • Options
    For the people saying things about grammer and tense:

Do you guys always write your resumes in past tense, even if the position is current or you are still actively studying at school? I am just curious.

On another note:

I got contacted about a job today. Actually two but one job hasn't opened up yet. The other job was a desktop support job and after I told the recruiter "My resume shows that all I am qualified for is desktop support and not server/network work". Well that was a major blow to the pride. I thought I had highlighted my serverish work and I thought my resume would show how I am trying to get away from desktop support but that's not what he thought. My problem is I think that he maybe right icon_sad.gif..

So I am bitting the bullet. As it seems that most of the security positions want MS, I guess I will comply. Literally every security job in my area wants experience and certs for windows 2003/2008 or they list it as helpful. In this economy can I really afford to be selective? Idk. At this point I am almost willing to do anything (legal and non sexual, well I might let someone get to first base icon_wink.gif) to get a "real" security analyst job. I just don't think I am going to get that chance if people think "Here is MR Desktop Support Guy". Oh and I am not knocking anyone doing desktop support, I just don't want to do it. Idk maybe I am an ID10T for thinking you could get a security job without a cert from the worlds most popular platform. Maybe it won't be so bad. I mean it isn't like they are pure evil or anything lol.
    At any rate MCTS 640 and 642 here I come.
  • Options
    Current job : present tense, previous jobs : past tense. Just keep this consistent.

It's quite funny and ironic how a resume is written decides whether HR are going to send your resume forward to the hiring managers. My previous job had more to do with Cisco networking than with system administration. But the work culture and nature of the role just about killed my interest in Cisco, so I tried to tailor my resume for a sys admin job. But apparently I didnt do it quite enough and when I went in to interview for a sys admin job, the hiring manager went "Hey you are a Cisco guy, you shouldnt have applied for this role". What I took away from that incident - Tailor your resume for the kind of role you want, dont make things up, but ensure your resume aligns with your aspirations.

So when are you starting on the 640/642 stuff? I'd recommend the 642 since it is more into networking and you can get through it fairly quickly. Then come back to the 640. This is what I did too, found the 640 boring, started on the 642, knocked it out in a bit over a month and came back to the 640 and killed it in a month. Make sure you lab it as you go, sticks more that way, I'm sure you know.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Current job : present tense, previous jobs : past tense. Just keep this consistent.

I thought I had it like this maybe I need another reread.
    It's quite funny and ironic how a resume is written decides whether HR are going to send your resume forward to the hiring managers. My previous job had more to do with Cisco networking than with system administration. But the work culture and nature of the role just about killed my interest in Cisco, so I tried to tailor my resume for a sys admin job. But apparently I didnt do it quite enough and when I went in to interview for a sys admin job, the hiring manager went "Hey you are a Cisco guy, you shouldnt have applied for this role". What I took away from that incident - Tailor your resume for the kind of role you want, dont make things up, but ensure your resume aligns with your aspirations.

So when are you starting on the 640/642 stuff? I'd recommend the 642 since it is more into networking and you can get through it fairly quickly. Then come back to the 640. This is what I did too, found the 640 boring, started on the 642, knocked it out in a bit over a month and came back to the 640 and killed it in a month. Make sure you lab it as you go, sticks more that way, I'm sure you know.

Thanks for the advise. Maybe April. Do you think it would be possible to get through both exams in 3 months (total). I think I might just be talking out my ass but idk I am pretty serious about my desire for a new job so...
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming that.
    I thought I had it like this maybe I need another reread.

I thought I saw some in your resume that did have some present mixed with past tense. May want to reread it again.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    I reread the resume and tweaked a few things. Here is what I have now:
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I reread the resume and tweaked a few things. Here is what I have now:

Better than the first one but still could use some help.
    • Take out "Expanded resume and references are available on my LinkedIn profile as well as upon request." Why have them look in two places? If your resume isnt expanded, then expand it. This is what sells you, not your linked in profile.
    • "Supported and Monitored" is too bland and could mean a different things, try to expand on that.
    • Font should be Times New Roman
    • Bold and increase the font size of your job titles and education
    • Single space the cert list
    That's all I have for now.
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    The tense still seems a bit odd for your current position:

Example:

"Administered Blackberries and Blackberry Enterprise Server"

Should be:

"Administrating Blackberries and Blackberry Enterprise Server"

and

"Maintains and Monitors Cisco and Sonicwall Network Devices.."

Should be:

"Maintaining and monitoring Cisco and Sonicwall network devices.."

However, you can make these statements far more powerful by adding some extra words. For instance the last example could be re-written as:

"Confidently maintaining and monitoring Cisco and Sonicwall devices in a complex network infrastructure."

That reads very differently from the original and gives the recruiter a totally different mental image of you. Instead of someone who just sits there clicking the mouse, now you're the guy who can do the job with confidence, hit the ground running and won't be pestering for help every 2 minutes.

Don't forget to list what you achieved in each position. Employee of the month? New process that saved the business money and increased efficiency? Overhauled an old and outdated system? Produced documentation which allowed faults to be troubleshooted with more accuracy? It all counts and makes a massive impact on the recruiter and person doing the hiring.