Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent recommendations from mattrgree. Rep+
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□

. Maybe April. Do you think it would be possible to get through both exams in 3 months (total). I think I might just be talking out my ass but idk I am pretty serious about my desire for a new job so...
    3 months time sounds about right if you stay focused on the material.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Ok, I have a little time for some more critique. If you incorporate phoeneous' and mattrgree's recommendations into your resume, you will end up with a top resume, I mean a really good one. Here's more:

1. Elaborate what you did to the BB's and BB server. You can say Administer BB's and BB servers, create/modify accounts, troubleshoot synchronisation, <insert other> issues.
    2. In your 2nd role (from most recent to older) you have Supported and Monitored 2003-2008. What did you exactly do? What tools did you use? What kind of support you provided? In my resume I have "Monitored over 160 HP DL360/380 servers using HP Business Availability Centre and Paesller PRTG". Did you build any servers, include that if you did (mention the tools you may have used.
    3. In your fourth gig you have Used Various tools, what kind of tools? Scissors, sledgehammers, chainsaws, bobcats??? What kind of tools and what did you do with the tools?
    4. What versions of Cisco IOS did you upgrade? Used TFTP or something else?

ELABORATE, ELABORATE, ELABORATE. But don't go overboard. Come on Kev, after so much critique we deserve to see an excellent resume.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Better than the first one but still could use some help.
    • Take out "Expanded resume and references are available on my LinkedIn profile as well as upon request." Why have them look in two places? If your resume isnt expanded, then expand it. This is what sells you, not your linked in profile.
    • "Supported and Monitored" is too bland and could mean a different things, try to expand on that.
    • Font should be Times New Roman
    • Bold and increase the font size of your job titles and education
    • Single space the cert list
    That's all I have for now.

The only question I have is why Times New Roman?
  • Options
    I reckon the best font is Trebuchet MS. Easiest to read.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The only question I have is why Times New Roman?

I hate to use the word "Industry Standard" but it's the best answer I have.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I hate to use the word "Industry Standard" but it's the best answer I have.

fair enough. The only reason why I haven't changed it is that TNR looks "funny" on open office (to me anyway). I may change it in the future but I just love Arial. It is hawtness.

Ok here is my latest revision. I did try to sprinkle in the nuggets you guys have given me. One thing is that I haven't received much awards from the job listed. Also some of my jobs at larger companies had hundreds or thousands of nodes and I can't remember the specific number. I also took off my line about "expanded resume....". The reason why I took those off is because I don't list two of the jobs I have had on my resume. The were both geek squad ish jobs and ran cocurrently with a few other jobs I have had (yes I had three jobs at one point lol). So yea here it is.
  • Options
    You're hired!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Just the last couple of things I have for you Kev. Notice how the second job (in chronological order) is skinnier compared to the current and third jobs. Really stands out, put some more meat on the bones.

Also, I'd rather have Configure and maintain instead of Configures and Maintains. Maybe it's just me but that's how I want it. The tense is a bit out of whack.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Just the last couple of things I have for you Kev. Notice how the second job (in chronological order) is skinnier compared to the current and third jobs. Really stands out, put some more meat on the bones.

Added the following:
    • Monitored bandwidth utilization across corporate core 6509 as well as customers hand off points

Also, I'd rather have Configure and maintain instead of Configures and Maintains. Maybe it's just me but that's how I want it. The tense is a bit out of whack.

See I was thinking that but configures and maintains would be transitive verbs and if I am reading this correctly, that would justify the tense:

How to Use Transitive Verbs | eHow.com
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I tend to use Sans-Serif fonts for my resumes. They have a cleaner look and are easier to read in my opinion.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's the standard for the cert sectin? Do you guys put dates on them to show that it is current?
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    I just have CCNA (expired) for my expired cert. All others are current, MS ones always are anyway. No need to put dates for a current cert, IMO.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Thanks again for all the constructive words on my resume.

I applied for a few jobs over the weekend and I actually got a call back about a security analyst for (wait for it) the Air Force. Actually a medical unit with a AFB. The job is said to be a C&A job (I'm going to make a thread about this later). The company is a cisco partner (score) and the job would be a general infosec job with firewall changes, audits and CA. Sound pretty dope. Let's see what happens.

Oh yea and they would probably have to get me a security clearance.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Damn man, that seems like a sweet gig. Hope you get it, may you have all the luck you need to bag this role.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Damn man, that seems like a sweet gig. Hope you get it, may you have all the luck you need to bag this role.

I mean I haven't even talked to the recruiter yet (well we have chatted via email) but yea. I would totally be stoked if I can get it. I would have to move close to where my parents and my in laws live now (about 80 miles away, same state though) and I really want to move back anyway. I miss my family and we drive back there so much, we should just live close (again) anyway lol. My wife wants to move back as well.

This would be an emotional victory as well. I have been trying to work at the AFB for like 8 years lol. I actually had an interview with a recruiter a few years ago when I just had the A+.They liked me and said they would make me an offer. Well the offer never came and when I called about it, they said they went with someone with more certs and experience. I was pissed but I was also glad that I hadn't quit my then current job. My father actually works for the base as a research chemist and I have always wanted to be like him (in some ways). It would be very nice to see this AFB job dream finally come to pass.

I don't want to get too excited though. Let's see how this conversation goes tomorrow first.icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Interesting chat with the recruiter. What she doesn't know is it is policy or implementation (or both) but it is firewall and IA work. I just don't want it to be all policy because that will make me teh sadz icon_redface.gif

Well see what happen's next.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Interesting chat with the recruiter. What she doesn't know is it is policy or implementation (or both) but it is firewall and IA work. I just don't want it to be all policy because that will make me teh sadz icon_redface.gif

Well see what happen's next.

I would still consider it even if there is a little bit more policy that implementation. Having that policy experience will help you get into management roles much faster too (IA type stuff) plus you will obviously get a clearance.

Would it be for a particular site? Because once firewall settings are in place you only change them to what the needs are of that site. Recently we had to change / clean up our firewall rules because of a new system we put in for our users.

Still I would take it even if it has a little more IA than IT just so you can get your foot in the door.
  • Options
    Take a look here for the description information:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/61324-c.html

My think is I am not gunning for management. I am 23 and I want to be a techie for a while ya know? I still have network analyst desires ya know?
  • Options
    Take a look here for the description information:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/61324-c.html

My think is I am not gunning for management. I am 23 and I want to be a techie for a while ya know? I still have network analyst desires ya know?

True, I agree with you r but if you a clearance really bad then this might be a good path to go for the sort term.

But your job does sound more IA related most of the stuff my Information Assurance Officer (IAO) performs (though she still performs some System Admin duties too ). If you search those DOD forms they explain quite a bit to you. However, your position can still have tech stuff related too.

Certification and Accreditation (C&A) - so for example lets say I have a system and I my DIACAP package (DoDI 8510.01 -http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/851001p.pdf ) is complete. It's going to need to be certified and accredited by someone before the system is allowed to be on a production environment.
  • Options
    What type of certs does she have? just curious...
  • Options
    What type of certs does she have? just curious...

From what I know Security + and a great deal of exp (expert in Active directory and DNS). I think she has her CISSP too, not to sure on that. She also has government based certs (SA level 1 and Level 2 according to the DOD). FSO has classes we take to keep up to date on certain things. SRR classes they call them.
  • Options
    higherho wrote: »
    From what I know Security + and a great deal of exp (expert in Active directory and DNS). I think she has her CISSP too, not to sure on that. She also has government based certs (SA level 1 and Level 2 according to the DOD). FSO has classes we take to keep up to date on certain things. SRR classes they call them.

So when you say it isn't technical, is it basically checking checkboxes and making sure others did their stuff?
  • Options
    So when you say it isn't technical, is it basically checking checkboxes and making sure others did their stuff?

Its more policy / protocol based. Security guidelines , etc.
  • Options
    Its more policy / protocol based. Security guidelines , etc.

icon_sad.gif so basically what I just said, but there is some golden rulebook out there? lol
  • Options
    icon_sad.gif so basically what I just said, but there is some golden rulebook out there? lol

Yes, In the Job description it describes to you the DOD standards. I highly doubt you will get slammed like an IAO does. A security analyst sounds more technical with IA mixed in.
  • Options
    Yes, In the Job description it describes to you the DOD standards. I highly doubt you will get slammed like an IAO does. A security analyst sounds more technical with IA mixed in.

I seriously hope so. I was actually looking forward to CCNP security and GCFW/GCIA