Options

Is IT the one field where I can succed without college?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I think the big thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the "core" knowledge of IT is changing at such a rapid rate that a degree in the field is useless as the knowledge could be useless years later.

Unlike other professions such as Doctors where the core knowledge only changes slightly...

maybe not?

To an extent.. Every knows (or should know) IT is an ever changing field you will always be expected to learn something new.. You can't get your A+/MCSA 03/CCNA and expect to never need to learn anything new again.

Cisco requires a renewel (and their exam material changes), MCSA will eventually retire for the MCITP set, even CompTIA stuff expires from this year forward.

Bottom line. No one can say don't get a degree and you'll be ok, but with as much as the IT field changes a degree should be least of your worries, after all when you get a degree you have it.. Certificates expire and need to be updated or renewed.

Certificates are nice things to say yea I got one, but they won't guarantee you anything in life.

Years ago someone told me... The A+ means everything if you don't have it, but nothing if you do. -Take it with a grain of salt. That was told to me years ago a few test exam versions ago. (back when it was Core and OS I don't know how much the exams have changed since then and I have no intention on finding out either.)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    cooldudemanuscooldudemanus Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    To an extent.. Every knows (or should know) IT is an ever changing field you will always be expected to learn something new.. You can't get your A+/MCSA 03/CCNA and expect to never need to learn anything new again.

Cisco requires a renewel (and their exam material changes), MCSA will eventually retire for the MCITP set, even CompTIA stuff expires from this year forward.

Bottom line. No one can say don't get a degree and you'll be ok, but with as much as the IT field changes a degree should be least of your worries, after all when you get a degree you have it.. Certificates expire and need to be updated or renewed.

Certificates are nice things to say yea I got one, but they won't guarantee you anything in life.

Years ago someone told me... The A+ means everything if you don't have it, but nothing if you do. -Take it with a grain of salt. That was told to me years ago a few test exam versions ago. (back when it was Core and OS I don't know how much the exams have changed since then and I have no intention on finding out either.)

bottom line- you had better love computers a whole fcking lot. Not merely have a slight interest in them.

I guess I re-visted these forums to simply determine what to study my last 3 years of college...

This forum was what initially gave me the confidence to go though.. I commend you guys for that
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bottom line- you had better love computers a whole fcking lot. Not merely have a slight interest in them.

I guess I re-visted these forums to simply determine what to study my last 3 years of college...

This forum was what initially gave me the confidence to go though.. I commend you guys for that

I currently work in printing and even though the majority of companies are moving to more of an internet presence, printing still pays pretty darn good money. There are press operators at my work that make $40.00 an hour and bindery operators that top out at $25.00. Also, Coke and Frito Layer venders pay pretty good too. Although, that these jobs don’t require a college degree. There are a few jobs that don’t require a degree, but these jobs are few and few between. Advancing in these fields gets harder and harder as you get older. Also, it’s harder to find a new job in that same field with the same pay.

If computer is your passion then follow my advice. If you’re not sure then take a few IT classes and see if you like what is being taught in the classes.
    • Think about obtain a 4 year degree from a school that your 2 year college has an agreement with.
    • I say take at least one class in the following IT disciplines during your 2 year degree:
    • DATABASE
    • WEB Design
    • Networking
    • Security
    • Programming
    • Project management
    • Server class
    • Break and fix-computer class
    • These are just a few directions a person can go in IT. I want took at least one of these classes in each of these sub fields and it gave me a better understanding of the direction I wanted to take in IT.
    • Volunteer or make sure to do an internship , this will put ahead of the other students that think a degree is “just enough”
    • Be a tutor at you school you could place this on your resume
    • Try to get a 3.0 or higher GPA
    • Become friends with your instructors they can be a reference for you and possibly write a reference letter for you.
    Good luck..I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423

Loving the job will certainly help..

Some opening certs for entry work IT work would probably be A+, Network+, and/or the Windows XP/7 certs from microsoft if you want to work as an IT Technician/Field Tech/Help Desk Tech/etc.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Another thing is how to define "success" here?

I believe everyone has a different standard.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does it matter what the degree is in?

I am observing that the IT field allows people without college degrees to succeed unlike a majority of the other fields Nursing,Accounting,Engineering ect.

You can learn on the job or take some computer classes if you're computer literate. But would you want a nurse tending to you if she didnt have her BSN??? and i'm not talkin aboot a nurse's ass't...i'm takin aboot an RN. Would you want an acc't working on ya financials if that person didnt have their BA?

and IT is such a broad world that, most pplz confuse it with just help desk/desktop support. its way more to it, so depending on what role you want, degrees might be needed, and they always do help.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tearofs wrote: »
    Another thing is how to define "success" here?

I believe everyone has a different standard.

Yes, and that is why this type of thread starts almost every month. There is no definitive answer. You may or may not be able to get what you want out of IT with or without a degree/certification.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Overqualified guys will be applying for the same jobs as you.

Exactly. My current job as L1 help desk has some people with serious overqualifications. One of the other guys in training with me has 8 years expereience as a L3 server admin for my previous employer. I've got 3 years help desk under my belt as well as certs, no clue who else applied for the job but this is about the only thing available. Those of us who have years of experience have to work too, if entry level is all that's available, it's still better than unemployment.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    No one seems to point out the fact is that the it's not your qualifications that get you the job it's how your qualifications compare to the other guy that applied. You don't need a 4 year degree to work in a help desk, but if the guy you're applying against has one well now it's definitely a requirement to you getting the job (or having some other quality that he doesn't).

Also, I think people vastly overstate experience in a lot of situations. For example: There is no difference between 9 months experience in a help desk role and 18 months in the same role. That concept applies to a lot of jobs. Yeah you always pick up a few things here and there, but after a year or two you're not learning anything new unless you are actively trying to do so.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Questions like these are only relevant to the path of an individual.

My brother got a degree in communications and now is an apache pilot.
    My cousin got a degree in marine biology and now owns an ISP.
    2 Network Engineers I work with have degrees, I don't.

College will teach you hard work, deadlines, creative thinking and it will test your patience and willingness to stick something out. It will not grant you a job in your desired market.

Job to Job you will find different answers of whether or not a degree is required or desired. Different corporate cultures weigh value on higher education and real world experience.

College is not a means to a job, tons of people go through college and don't learn crap. I've managed plenty of 10 dollar an hour BA/BS/MA/MS holders. You get out just as much as you put in. If you have a drive to learn, grow and set your ego aside you will succeed whether or not you have certs or college.

I pursued a degree because I personally wanted an EDUCATION. I pursue certifications to make myself more marketable, but college makes me stress/think/push more and more.

I don't know what point i'm trying to make, but people need to understand their is no black or white.

This topic comes up way to much. Work 60+ hours a week, document everything you do, reflect on it. See if you learn something. Do this for 6 months and ask yourself if your ready for a real job.
  • Options
    cooldudemanuscooldudemanus Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    You can learn on the job or take some computer classes if you're computer literate. But would you want a nurse tending to you if she didnt have her BSN??? and i'm not talkin aboot a nurse's ass't...i'm takin aboot an RN. Would you want an acc't working on ya financials if that person didnt have their BA?

and IT is such a broad world that, most pplz confuse it with just help desk/desktop support. its way more to it, so depending on what role you want, degrees might be needed, and they always do help.

How do I know the IT professional won't make my situation worse. If he has a degree in say Computer Science, he will understand the core knowledge of computers.

Your logic is partially invalid
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    You probably all remember me. Well, fast forward a year later and I have about one year's worth of the college basics done.

Anyway, As I recall, IT is a field where you can get a good job without finishing college. Yes, I know it's dependent on experience,connections ect.

Is it changing? Do you still need a degree to succeed in IT?

Why do you think you can get a good job as an IT person without college? And why do you THINK it is the only field you can land a job without college? There are plenty of fields where folks are successful because they are smart or resourceful or both.

But my concern is that you bothered to start college and from what you write, make it sound like you are seeking a short cut?? Why?

Read any of the several threads on this board that discuss college and you will find time and time again everyone supports a formal education. Even a formal education over only obtaining certifications. Why make things difficult for yourself? Get some schooling, earn the diploma and if you then wish to suppliment your studies add the appropriate certifcations. The market is pretty flooded with IT talent who are actively seeking jobs and they HAVE the education and EXPERIENCE, so don't short yourself from the beginning.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is it changing? Do you still need a degree to succeed in IT?

Hell to the NO!

exp/certs = for the win!icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Hell to the NO!

exp/certs = for the win!icon_thumright.gif

But exp/certs/degree trumps all ... So circle gets the square...
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    briangl wrote: »

Having done judgment recovery I can say that a large part of those provisions are regulated by the state. Some states you can not garnish wages (like PA). I don't know of any states that will allow you to garnish social security or disability and in NJ if you granish a bank account and they can show that even some of the money came from social security or disability then they'll get it back.

Like everything else you need to be responisble for your own spending. I know a few people who have charged up over $200k for a B.A./B.S. (they were allowed to take out an extra $20k/semester for housing and living expenses) and are still trying to find work. Unlike a car, credit card or house you really need to understand just what is expected of you and look at what the degree will do for you. Or you could just take the minimum amount of classes required to defer your loan for the rest of your life or move out of country.