Options

Daycare vs. IT career

2»

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Comparisons to college tuition also vary from state to state, but almost everywhere the ratio is startling. In 40 states the average annual cost for an infant in center-based care was higher than a year’s tuition and fees at a four-year public college. In Massachusetts, the yearly infant care cost exceeded the yearly cost of tuition and fees by $9,533; in New York, Wyoming and Washington, D.C., the infant-care costs were more than double the college costs.
    Parents and The High Cost of Child Care: 2010 Update | NACCRRA - The National Association of Child Care Resource & Referral Agencies

My wife lost her job 2 years ago and, since we live in an area with higher than average unemployment, was unable to find a job in a year. We then decided that it made logistical sense (not necessarily financial sense) to start a family. We wanted to start one soon - I'm not getting any younger - and it would be hard for her to try and and start a career only to have to go on maternity leave. It also gave her the opportunity to focus on a healthy pregnancy and our first son was born 3 months ago. We plan for her to stay home at least his first year and then evaluate child care costs, job prospects, and the thought of having another child. I am against paying for my wife's MBA student loans while she pursues a career as a housewife, but it doesn't make sense to take a job only to have the entire salary eaten by day care costs.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think now a days and its going to get worse its kind of scary to just have one income. My wife has great benefits but average pay, I had great pay but barely average benefits. We were paying 10K a year in day care and my wife made 40K a year but her 401K match was 2 dollars for every dollar she contributes up to 7 percent plus a small pension that was free. Her health benefits covered over 100K in medical bills and a bunch of other stuff.

On the other hand if you or your spouse are working somewhere barely making anything, I know some do it just for the benefits and social interaction.