WGU MBA IT Management in 1 term?

jblake1986jblake1986 Posts: 49Member ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok so I spoke to my enrollment person and he said it is a total of 36 Competency Units and I have read easily of people on here doing more than that in a term. He also said there were no proctored exams, but just a paper per class(12), two papers a month seems fairly possible. Honestly with the extra time I have at work I could probably do a 10~ page paper per week. Any ideas on this? I know that it is not accredidated, but with a MBA in 6 months and for 3k I am not sure how I can turn it down.

Has anyone finished this degree in one term? Or is anyone currently in this degree? I cannot find anyone that is.
ICND1 Test Apr 23

Comments

  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Posts: 471Member
    jblake1986 wrote: »
    Ok so I spoke to my enrollment person and he said it is a total of 36 Competency Units and I have read easily of people on here doing more than that in a term. He also said there were no proctored exams, but just a paper per class(12), two papers a month seems fairly possible. Honestly with the extra time I have at work I could probably do a 10~ page paper per week. Any ideas on this? I know that it is not accredidated, but with a MBA in 6 months and for 3k I am not sure how I can turn it down.

    Has anyone finished this degree in one term? Or is anyone currently in this degree? I cannot find anyone that is.

    As with anything it depends on the time you can put into it. I am not so sure each class is just a paper. Someone is doing another emphasis Masters degree and it is a few presentations and a paper for each class. It could be different with the MBA-IT though. I don't know of anyone on here that is doing the MBA-IT track. If you are a good writer you could probably do it, but also consider grade times can take up to 5 days.
    WGU grad
  • eansdadeansdad Posts: 775Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    jblake1986 wrote: »
    I know that it is not accredidated,

    It is a regionally accredited degree just not AACSB accredited which only means anything if the job requires it much like CAE for Security.
  • TurgonTurgon Posts: 6,313Banned
    jblake1986 wrote: »
    Ok so I spoke to my enrollment person and he said it is a total of 36 Competency Units and I have read easily of people on here doing more than that in a term. He also said there were no proctored exams, but just a paper per class(12), two papers a month seems fairly possible. Honestly with the extra time I have at work I could probably do a 10~ page paper per week. Any ideas on this? I know that it is not accredidated, but with a MBA in 6 months and for 3k I am not sure how I can turn it down.

    Has anyone finished this degree in one term? Or is anyone currently in this degree? I cannot find anyone that is.

    How on earth can you complete an MBA or any Master's programme for that matter in six months? What's next a one year PhD?
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Posts: 151Member
    I'm in the MS:ISA program right now, and the classes kind of alternate with an exam class, and a class that goes along with it where you write papers.

    Generally, for each paper-writing class I've had to do anywhere from 3-5 papers/presentations. So it's not going to be just one paper per class. The MBA program may be a little different, but I'm guessing it's a similar format.
  • erpadminerpadmin Posts: 4,165Member
    eansdad wrote: »
    It is a regionally accredited degree just not AACSB accredited which only means anything if the job requires it much like CAE for Security.


    Not just if the job requires it, but if you want to go into adjunct teaching (being a professor part-time), it could be difficult to do so without an MBA from a AACSB-accredited school.

    Some jobs might find the WGU-MBA degree to be enough; some might not.
  • jblake1986jblake1986 Posts: 49Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    This was exactly what I was looking to hear. I wanted to see from other people that have done these types of classes. If it takes longer I have no issue with that , but the enrollement group makes it sound much easier than I am sure it is.
    ICND1 Test Apr 23
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas CISSP, GIAC x5, CompTIA x5 Greenville, SC USAPosts: 5,735Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    How on earth can you complete an MBA or any Master's programme for that matter in six months? What's next a one year PhD?

    LOL, I'm going to guess that the OP's six month hopes are not going to happen...
    Currently working on: Linux and Python
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Posts: 304Member
    I do have to echo some of the skepticism already expressed.
    Firstly consider why are you going for this Master's degree.
    Is an advanced degree keeping you from earning the salary for the work you already do?
    (ie, are you doing the job of an MBA holder, but they won't pay just because you don't have the paper qualifications).
    If that's the case then you should rightly go for it.

    I'm a little curious, what exactly are you learning in six months that takes other people 2-3 yrs ?
    Do you already know the material?
    Or can you honestly LEARN that quickly?
    I can honestly say that I deserved every grade on my transcript, there was only one time I disputed a course grade, mostly because the instructor ignored outright every submitted piece of work i submitted electronically and just gave me an F. (it was a hybrid online/in person class)

    I did cramming a few intro/electives though, i passed my intro to stats simply because i could parse the scenario based questions and plug in the appropriate values into the formula.
    Don't ask me to explain the concepts :P
    Some courses depend on cumulative knowledge, ie, they build on intro courses and progressively introduce more advanced concepts.
    How would this program work unless you were skipping the "lower level" courses and simply doing the most advanced ones?
    I suppose you can "test out" of some intro courses.

    I guess a few of the concerns are
    Do you already know the material?
    if not,
    Can you honestly learn that quickly?
    or
    Is the material not REAL Masters-level knowledge but just an over glorified/over priced version of undergrad courses?

    The last point is a little disturbing, because we already see a trend, at least here in the US where education is more of a commodity (subject to free-market influence) as opposed to a serious benchmark of knowledge.

    If you feel confident that you've dealt with a significant portion of the subjects in some other context and able to write on those topics with authority, then it may not be such a bad idea.
    I did have the pleasure once of working with a brilliant it manager, who un-officially managed the finance dept as well (whose staff did have advanced degrees). Though on paper he only had a bachelors in IT.
    So I can see where it's possible, I'm not being sarcastic.
  • jblake1986jblake1986 Posts: 49Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    I completely understand. My thought here is I dont not want to spend the time or money for a B & M school. Could I get accepted into them? Sure, but this way I would have a MBA for less than 7k~ and can use that to further my career. I am sorry, but I think a lot of the MBA's are just "paper" I mean certain ones do hold some serious clout, but in reality if I am not in top 25-50 status it is all the same so why not spend half the cost/time?
    ICND1 Test Apr 23
  • TurgonTurgon Posts: 6,313Banned
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    The last point is a little disturbing, because we already see a trend, at least here in the US where education is more of a commodity (subject to free-market influence) as opposed to a serious benchmark of knowledge.

    Yes I would agree with that. In fact I would go further. There seems to be less emphasis on getting an 'education' which by definition requires elapsed time, and more on simply getting a bit of paper to appease some criteria out there in the job stakes. Paper is paper, but once done your educational experience is over. So look around and get the best 'education' you can.

    Unless things have changed, an MBA student should be coming into the program with significant management experience under their belt, ideally at the strategic level or close to it.
  • petedudepetedude Posts: 1,510Member
    From another forum, posted by a WGU MBA student:
    Hello All,
    I am half way through my MBA program in 5 months. I do have an undergraduate degree in business. It doesn't make the MBA any easier. I have studied extremely hard. They say 20 hours a week. I am doing 8-12 hours a day. That is why I can do so many classes in 5 months. I am no genius.
    . . .

    Given that comment, I highly doubt one could wrap this MBA in one term. If you REALLY work hard, it looks like you could finish in two. It is designed to take at least three terms, though, from what I can see. It's a LOT of research and writing, as most MBA programs should be.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • powerfoolpowerfool Senior Member Posts: 1,623Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    jblake1986 wrote: »
    Ok so I spoke to my enrollment person and he said it is a total of 36 Competency Units and I have read easily of people on here doing more than that in a term. He also said there were no proctored exams, but just a paper per class(12), two papers a month seems fairly possible. Honestly with the extra time I have at work I could probably do a 10~ page paper per week. Any ideas on this? I know that it is not accredidated, but with a MBA in 6 months and for 3k I am not sure how I can turn it down.

    Has anyone finished this degree in one term? Or is anyone currently in this degree? I cannot find anyone that is.

    I think you should be able to do it... I have to write six formal papers like that for my one UMUC course this semester (though it is six credit hours).

    That being said, I think that an MBA is the one academic achievement that it really does matter which school you choose. There are tons of people with an MBA, these days, and tons of them that aren't in a better situation. Of course, if you are applying for a job and you have an MBA and a competitor doesn't, you will certainly have a leg up on them.
    AZ-300 [ ] AZ-301 [ ]
    2019 Goals: Azure Architect
  • KernelPanicKernelPanic Posts: 2Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not a chance. MBA course work is WAY WAY more complicated than 101 / 201 credits or examinations. In addition it requires major reasoning and problem solving skills to get a paper passed. My undergrad was a walk in the park compared to MBA course work. Everything is about 3 times harder.
  • MiikeBMiikeB Posts: 301Member
    I will have all but 3 classes completed in one term for my WGU MBA IT focus.

    I fully believe I could have gotten it done in one term. 2 things got in my way:

    1) I took all of January off for a vacation

    2) I was not properly prepared for the 3 group classes, I thought there was only one group class. I would recommend you get the Leadership class done in your first 2 months, the Strategic Management in the second two and start the Capstone month 5 to properly pace these group projects.

    I am very burnt out though. I still have a few papers to write this term and I can feel the burnout hard.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • petedudepetedude Posts: 1,510Member
    MiikeB wrote: »
    I will have all but 3 classes completed in one term for my WGU MBA IT focus.

    How do you like the program, though? Do you feel you learned things of value?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    I'm wrapping up my second semester at WGU -MBA Strategy Management. I have two courses left Financial Analysis and the Capstone. It's not easy at all, I wonder how someone could get done in 6 months with a job LOL. They probably have Rodney Dangerfield for a father. Let me guess next they are both on the diving team?
  • MiikeBMiikeB Posts: 301Member
    petedude wrote: »
    How do you like the program, though? Do you feel you learned things of value?

    No I don't, I just wanted it on my resume.

    Its not easy, and I did learn things, but nothing that I really see as valuable. My mind may change if I ever end up in a position that deals with more financial aspects.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • darkerzdarkerz Posts: 431Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Right off the bat, I really need to say that this thread and the tones bother me, a lot.

    Having the paper on a resume is fan freaking tastic, but anyone with half a brain in hiring will sniff you right out. When our company see's a Masters graduate applying, we get the best guys we have and really pick those people apart- it's assumed they have 10-30 years of experience and are truly the "Masters / Experts" of what they do or did.

    As a life long learner, I believe an education and degree beyond the paper have so much value. Really digging deep and knowing the material, understanding the concepts, remembering the facts and having the time spread out to have earned it not only show on your resume - they show the second you open your mouth.

    Also, think this. Anyone who see's a degree completed in 6 months is going to roll their eyes and throw your resume out.

    It gives anyone who's taking the online schooling like WGU a horribly bad reputation with the existing stigma surrounding it, and it's damn unfortunate because if you take your time and absorb what WGU has to offer, for example, you will come out better for it.

    My 2 cents and 3000 dollars / term there.
    :twisted:
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    Darkerz you make a valid point. One that transcends degrees but finds itself in our very own house. Certifications are finding themselves in the same light. With all the **** out there the CCNA or any of the non labbed certifications have red flags surrounding them. There will always be questions on the integrity of the education, wether it be a certification or a degree. You don't think people who are in the who's who crowd get preferential treatment at the Ivy league schools if they are willing to pony up large sums of money? Or the 19 year old who finds a **** site and gets his MCSE and CCNP in 3 months? Or how about the student who pays a service to write his or her papers? In the end it's all the same.
  • petedudepetedude Posts: 1,510Member
    MiikeB wrote: »
    Its not easy, and I did learn things, but nothing that I really see as valuable. My mind may change if I ever end up in a position that deals with more financial aspects.

    Hmmm. . . never go for a business-related degree, even MBA-ITM, if you're not ready to learn some finance. Why? Finance is the engine that keeps business moving. Also, many of the business constraints you hear about in IT (e.g. "we don't have a budget for that") have their bases in Finance.

    If you want fewer finance-related courses and more tech ones, go for an MS-ITM or MS-IT with some other school.

    Anyway, good to hear the MBA-ITM has some substance to it. I know someone who did it in a year, and I think he took some shortcuts-- e.g. jumping ahead to tasks without doing the requisite COS reading, etc. But it's certainly no six-month cinch.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    Pete you are right on the money. It's not a cinch and anyone saying so hasn't gone through it. It can be done in 1 year if you work hard at it, but most likely it's 1.5. Seriously how many people on this forum could walk right through decision analysis?
  • MiikeBMiikeB Posts: 301Member
    darkerz wrote: »
    Right off the bat, I really need to say that this thread and the tones bother me, a lot.

    Having the paper on a resume is fan freaking tastic, but anyone with half a brain in hiring will sniff you right out. When our company see's a Masters graduate applying, we get the best guys we have and really pick those people apart- it's assumed they have 10-30 years of experience and are truly the "Masters / Experts" of what they do or did.

    As a life long learner, I believe an education and degree beyond the paper have so much value. Really digging deep and knowing the material, understanding the concepts, remembering the facts and having the time spread out to have earned it not only show on your resume - they show the second you open your mouth.

    Also, think this. Anyone who see's a degree completed in 6 months is going to roll their eyes and throw your resume out.

    It gives anyone who's taking the online schooling like WGU a horribly bad reputation with the existing stigma surrounding it, and it's damn unfortunate because if you take your time and absorb what WGU has to offer, for example, you will come out better for it.

    My 2 cents and 3000 dollars / term there.

    You are making the assumption that just because the degree was obtained as a resume builder that the person did not acquire the knowledge prior to getting the degree.

    These qualifications on my resume will get me more interviews having them than not having them. Your interview process should consist of testing the candidates knowledge for the job they are applying for. It should not be an attempt to test the results of a colleges curriculum.

    Also, when I say I got it done in almost 6 months, probably 9, that consists of working on it constantly. I am in Afghanistan right now and have had nothing to do but complete work.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • petedudepetedude Posts: 1,510Member
    MiikeB wrote: »
    . . .
    These qualifications on my resume will get me more interviews having them than not having them. Your interview process should consist of testing the candidates knowledge for the job they are applying for. It should not be an attempt to test the results of a colleges curriculum.
    . . .

    People in skilled professional roles, whether IT or finance or medicine, should have a combination of education and/or certification outside of on-the-job-experience. Like I've said elsewhere around these parts: "external. . . validation"!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • MiikeBMiikeB Posts: 301Member
    petedude wrote: »
    People in skilled professional roles, whether IT or finance or medicine, should have a combination of education and/or certification outside of on-the-job-experience. Like I've said elsewhere around these parts: "external. . . validation"!

    I'm not saying that they shouldn't have more than just on the job experience, I'm saying that you should not expect them to have any particular knowledge outside of what you requested in the job description.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Daneil3144Daneil3144 Posts: 152Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkerz wrote: »

    Also, think this. Anyone who see's a degree completed in 6 months is going to roll their eyes and throw your resume out.

    This type of mentality is concerning. Anyone else run in to this?
  • EANxEANx Posts: 1,041Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    Why are you bringing up a three year-old thread?
  • Daneil3144Daneil3144 Posts: 152Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    Why are you bringing up a three year-old thread?


    That's what the search utility for, correct?
Sign In or Register to comment.