Favorite wireless router?

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
What is your current favorite wireless router? I am fed up with my ASUS RT-N16. First one was dead after 10 days. Second one is randomly losing WAN connection after just 6 months. Tried DD-WRT and Tomato and both present the same issue. I am thinking of going back to a trustworthy and reliable Linksys WRT54GL. I am seeing mixed reviews about the E200, E3000 and E4200. What's working for you right now?

Comments

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Been using my WRT54GL for 5+ years now with no problems. Beat the pants off of my old DLINK something or other.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Netgear 3700 Dual Band, works flawlessly.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    AT&T supplied mine - something made by 2Wire. It works great, but when I have to buy, I usually go with Linksys. Their interface has just always been the easiest to navigate to me.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Interesting. Now it seems the stupid Comcast modem is the problem, not the router. Tried my old Netgear router as well as a new Linksys I brought from work and the issue remains. The Asus may not suck after all. More to come.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Been using my WRT54GL for 5+ years now with no problems. Beat the pants off of my old DLINK something or other.

Second that.
  • Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Netgear WNDR 3700 + Motorola SB6120 modem = awesomeness.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a WRT54GL for a while but I bricked it. I recently replaced it with one of the new Cisco/Linksys E3200's. I'm digging it so far.
    :study:
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I used to use WRT54GSs but now I use AP1242AGs. DD-WRT on the WRT54GSs was pretty solid once I found a build/version that worked properly. The AP1242AGs are plain APs though as I have a separate router. It used to be a 1841 but I've since replaced that.

I've considered upgrading to 802.11n but haven't decided on what I would buy if I did. Some of the Ubiquiti hardware is pretty nice from what I can see.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Second that.

Third to that, I like Linksys routers, they're solid, cheap, easy to use and they just do the job for you.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I currently use the Netgear WNDR 3700 and it's amazing worth every penny!! icon_thumright.gif

I have also used Cisco Linksys routers which are great too
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • network86network86 Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the Netgear WNDR 3700 which is awesome! Works perfect.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Apple Airport Extreme Base Station
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I use Untangle server as router/firewall/ips which is then hooked up to a dell powerconnect 2700 16 port gigabit switch. From there I have a Cisco 1252ag as ap1, dlink dgl4500 as ap2, apple time capsule as ap3, and a cisco 871w as guest wireless. Works pretty good.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In the past I used the Linksys WRT routers. Really liking the new Valet wireless router.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Linksys boxes are nice. I used them for quite a while.

My all-time favorite however is AVM's Fritzbox. I don't know if these are sold outside Europe but they have an excellent feature set and are very reliable.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Used to be the Draytek 2920n but it has too many issues with it (it being wireless / DHCP and the lot).

Next in line is the Cisco 877 for me (finally ordered the CISCO877WGEMK9) or the Sonicwall TZ100W (doesn't have an ADSL modem build in though)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • GaWdLyGaWdLy Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I normally buy Linksys routers for home, but we have a love/hate relationship. The setup is beyond simple, and the base featureset is great for the price. Unfortunately, the weekly reboots required for the hardware to work are annoying, and the lack of qualified technical support are a problem.

For work or for a nice home installation: can't beat a Cisco Aironet! A PITA to set up at times, but great hardware, great range.

Edit: I realize the Aironet is not a router, but for wireless, it can't be beat. :)
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Interesting. Now it seems the stupid Comcast modem is the problem, not the router. Tried my old Netgear router as well as a new Linksys I brought from work and the issue remains. The Asus may not suck after all. More to come.

Actually, my router that I got from Comcast has worked well. Its a NetGear router, not sure of the model# but will let you know. Been working smoothly.

@Forsaken - How is that Apple Airport Extreme Base Station?
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I use Untangle server as router/firewall/ips which is then hooked up to a dell powerconnect 2700 16 port gigabit switch. From there I have a Cisco 1252ag as ap1, dlink dgl4500 as ap2, apple time capsule as ap3, and a cisco 871w as guest wireless. Works pretty good.

I also use Untangle as my firewall/router/nat/ips/everything else it does, and then have a linksys and dlink set up as wap only for wireless. Want to find one that supports DD-WRT, though it would be overkill since I don't need a router. Oh well :)
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Cthu1huCthu1hu Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Loving the WNDR3700 here as well!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Xcluziv wrote: »

I love it.

I don't actually need it to function as a router, just as an AP, so it's in bridge mode, and it took no hackery to get it there.

Dual Band, so my 802.11n clients are on one network, my 802.11b/g's are on another, 4 gig ports, and at some point Apple changed it so that if you attach an external hard drive to the AEBS, it'll function as a Time Machine target without any of the hackery that it used to take to make it work.

At 180 bucks, it's not cheap, but it's worth it, and I won't be replacing it for a very long time.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dlink DIR-825

I got chewed out for calling them routers though. Some call them "wireless access points" with routing capabilities.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bought a DGN2200 ADSL all in one router modem. Had nothing but problems. Overheating, constant WAN loss. Had to go back to my bridging my Zyxel modem and using a WRT54G running DDWRT. Havent had an issue since. Will never buy anything Netgear again! That was their last chance ever...
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anything that will run DD-WRT or a wireless card in an Untangle box.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Dlink DIR-825

I got chewed out for calling them routers though. Some call them "wireless access points" with routing capabilities.

If it has routing capability then its a router. Just like a layer 3 switch is technically a router if any of the ports are routing.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    Actually, my router that I got from Comcast has worked well. Its a NetGear router, not sure of the model# but will let you know. Been working smoothly.

Oh yea, that routter was a NetGear Wireless N-150 Router WNR1000
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Cisco 871W. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Update: Comcast replaced my 4 year old modem and faith has been restore on my ASUS RT-N16. I jumped to conclusions too fast. Direct result of IAD (Internet Access Deprivation).
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in love with ubiquiti.