Options

Desktop Support Job: Impossible to get?

traceyketraceyke Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been reading these forums for almost a year now, but this is my very first post icon_thumright.gif

I'm finding it very hard and frustrating to get a "hands on" desktop support job here in Michigan (been hunting since January). I've been interviewed from companies left & right, but it's always the same story: "wonderful interview, but we've found someone more experienced". What really stings is that it's always narrowed down to me and 1 or 2 other candidates and I always end up losing.

The positions that I apply for are entry level desktop support positions (mostly contracts), that are basically hands-on type of work. I have about 2 years of help desk/remote/phone support experience, and I'm TIRED of the phone lol. I even made major changes to my resume for the better. Is this normal or do I need even more "experience"? I will now throw myself upon the mercy of the techexams.net forum gods lol.

P.S: I am almost done studying for the Network+ and will test later on this month. I was going to do Security+ afterwards, but now I'm wondering if I should postpone that and start studying for the MCITP: Desktop Support Technician Windows 7 with hopes that it will help me land a job in desktop support.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the forums!

I dont blame you for being fed up of the phone-based role. You have enough experience doing a phone-based role, start working on some serious certs. Ditch these compTIA ones and start working on the MCITP: Desktop Support Technician. That should get you noticed and hopefully give you a leg-up on other candidates.

Also important is to not despair. Keep applying and go hard after the cert(s) and you'll eventually land a sweet desktop support gig. Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums!

I dont blame you for being fed up of the phone-based role. You have enough experience doing a phone-based role, start working on some serious certs. Ditch these compTIA ones and start working on the MCITP: Desktop Support Technician. That should get you noticed and hopefully give you a leg-up on other candidates.

Also important is to not despair. Keep applying and go hard after the cert(s) and you'll eventually land a sweet desktop support gig. Good luck!

Thanks Essendon. I'm so split in half between the Security+ and MCITP: Desktop Support Technician because I always thought that it pays to have the "Big 3" CompTIA certs before doing anything else.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    traceyke wrote: »
    I've been reading these forums for almost a year now, but this is my very first post icon_thumright.gif

I'm finding it very hard and frustrating to get a "hands on" desktop support job here in Michigan (been hunting since January). I've been interviewed from companies left & right, but it's always the same story: "wonderful interview, but we've found someone more experienced". What really stings is that it's always narrowed down to me and 1 or 2 other candidates and I always end up losing.

The positions that I apply for are entry level desktop support positions (mostly contracts), that are basically hands-on type of work. I have about 2 years of help desk/remote/phone support experience, and I'm TIRED of the phone lol. I even made major changes to my resume for the better. Is this normal or do I need even more "experience"? I will now throw myself upon the mercy of the techexams.net forum gods lol.

P.S: I am almost done studying for the Network+ and will test later on this month. I was going to do Security+ afterwards, but now I'm wondering if I should postpone that and start studying for the MCITP: Desktop Support Technician Windows 7 with hopes that it will help me land a job in desktop support.

I had to leave Michigan in order to find any work and that was about two years ago.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks Essendon. I'm so split in half between the Security+ and MCITP: Desktop Support Technician because I always thought that it pays to have the "Big 3" CompTIA certs before doing anything else.

I'd say that's a fairly popular misconception. These compTIA's are entry-level certs and you are really not that entry level anymore. Sure the S+ would give you an understanding of security, but it isnt something I'd look for in a candidate applying for desktop support. Put yourself in the shoes of a desktop support hiring manager, would you go with someone with an MCDST,A+,N+ or would you go with someone with an A+,N+,S+ with the same experience, all other things being the same?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    I had to leave Michigan in order to find any work and that was about two years ago.

Veritas you were a Michigander? What type of IT jobs were you looking for originally before leaving the "Magnificent Mitten"? My Dad keeps telling me that I may have to leave the state of Michigan in order to find a job, but there's two issues with that suggestion:

1.) I'm 24 and I've lived here all my life. Although moving to a new state seems fun and exciting, it also scares the hell outta me! lol

2.) From a financial standpoint, I doubt that I would be able to find an entry level desktop support position that would pay enough for me to live on my own out-of-state.

Essendon thanks a million for the insight, I think I'm going to go hard for the MCITP once I pass the Network+. I'll get the S+ afterwards. I do want to work for the government in the future, so I know that the S+ will be needed eventually.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I agree with Essendon. Go for that MCITP Desktop Support instead of Sec+. During an Interview it will be very easy to tie in that cert to the position requirements. I took MCDST years ago and definitely opened some doors for me.

The "scares the hell outta me" thinking will get you nowhere. 5 years ago I sold my apartment and cars, packed my family and moved from another country to the US. I left behind many friends and family but my priority is looking out for my wife and daughter. So far it has the best thing that ever happened to me. Never be afraid of change, especially if you are young. If you don't take risk you will always wonder what would've happened if you did.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Play around with the cost of living calculator and find areas you might be interested in moving to in the future. I plugged in Detroit to Little Rock with a salary of 28k. You would need to earn 27,667 in Little Rock, but the housing and other necessities are a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    Veritas you were a Michigander? What type of IT jobs were you looking for originally before leaving the "Magnificent Mitten"? My Dad keeps telling me that I may have to leave the state of Michigan in order to find a job

You're dad is probably right. I graduated from a community college in Michigan and most of my classmates were planning on leaving the state. It's hard in Michigan, and only the veterans IT professional seem to be doing well at keeping and finding jobs.
    1.) I'm 24 and I've lived here all my life. Although moving to a new state seems fun and exciting, it also scares the hell outta me! lol

I left the Michigan at 25 and I lived there all my life as well. I had connections but none that could provide me with a job that paid more than $10/hr which was not something I wanted to do.

2.) From a financial standpoint, I doubt that I would be able to find an entry level desktop support position that would pay enough for me to live on my own out-of-state.

I saved up a few thousand dollars, enough money to move, and left for SC. I haven't regretted at all. I'm not suggesting that it was the smartest way to go about it, but I definitely don't regret it. There are so many more jobs down in the South than there are up North.
  • Options

I left the Michigan at 25 and I lived there all my life as well. I had connections but none that could provide me with a job that paid more than $10/hr which was not something I wanted to do.

I saved up a few thousand dollars, enough money to move, and left for SC. I haven't regretted at all. I'm not suggesting that it was the smartest way to go about it, but I definitely don't regret it. There are so many more jobs down in the South than there are up North.

Omg I'm going through the EXACT SAME thing that you went through when you was my age. The highest I ever made in my life is $10 an hour (I know, sad life :) lol), and the only jobs that I know I can easily get are the help desk/technical support dead end phone jobs that pay $9 - $10 an hour.

I turn 25 on June 19th, maybe it is time for me to the fear on the backburner and start looking elsewhere. I love the state of Michigan dearly, but I guess it's time to make a change icon_cry.gif.
  • Options
    Omg I'm going through the EXACT SAME thing that you went through when you was my age. The highest I ever made in my life is $10 an hour (I know, sad life :) lol), and the only jobs that I know I can easily get are the help desk/technical support dead end phone jobs that pay $9 - $10 an hour.

I turn 25 on June 19th, maybe it is time for me to the fear on the backburner and start looking elsewhere. I love the state of Michigan dearly, but I guess it's time to make a change icon_cry.gif.

TE is a great place to network. If you decide on an area you want move to, let us know and maybe one us can give you advice. If you search through the threads you will find a few titled, "where should I move to?"
  • Options
    carajeancarajean Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also a Mitten resident I have been looking for a desktop support job also for almost 2 years. I think what holding me back is currently I work in a non-IT field but have previous years experience ( computer tech ) and I do work on the side right now for local companies as their IT go to person but thats few and far between. I really honestly think that these jobs especially here in MI are being filled by people the HR person knows.

I also only have 3 years of college but didn't finish. No certs to boot. So im kinda stuck as to what to do because right now I need a job in the worse way so I can move closer to family and friends.

I also think my resume needs work but im unable to find any help with it.
  • Options
    I wish I could move outta state but im in a committed relationship right now where he just bought a house and has the higher paying job. whats a girl to do?
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Since you said you want to work for the Government, have you given any thought to joining the Military? Tell the recruiter you want to do IT, and don't let them talk you into anything else. I'll recommend the Air Force since that is what I did. Right now you'd be looking to get into 3D0X2 if Systems Administration is what interests you, or one of the other 3D career fields for other areas of IT.

It will get you experience, your housing will not be an issue, your pay will be OK, and you'll get a security clearance. It will put you in a good spot to find a higher paying job when you get out in a few years.

I went from making $9.25/hr and not being able to afford moving out on my own at 19, to making about $17/hr at the end of my enlistment. I bought my 1st house at 21, a 1200sq ft 3 bedroom 1 bath, overised 2 car garage, cement patio with a hot tub. Not bad for a 1st house. At 24 when I got out and took my 1st civilian IT job, I started at $27.62/hr as a Senior Systems Administrator.

Now my salary is the equivelant of over $10/hr higher than what it was back then, and hopefully very soon it will be even higher.

Being open to moving anywhere really opens up a lot more opportunities for you, so don't be scared of moving. It is a LOT easier to move around when you're still young, before you have a wife and kids. Once you add a wife and kids to the picture, it gets a lot harder to move.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It seems Michigan is like Vegas. I wanted to return to the US to Las Vegas, but with almost 15% unemployment, and many unemployed IT guys , it would have been extremely hard, particularly at my level of IT experience.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    It seems Michigan is like Vegas. I wanted to return to the US to Las Vegas, but with almost 15% unemployment, and many unemployed IT guys , it would have been extremely hard, particularly at my level of IT experience.

I follow this forum pretty closely and I feel like a lot of people out of Michigan have trouble
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    I follow this forum pretty closely and I feel like a lot of people out of Michigan have trouble

No, usually only when we stay in Michigan! icon_lol.gif

Just kidding....
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Since you said you want to work for the Government, have you given any thought to joining the Military? Tell the recruiter you want to do IT, and don't let them talk you into anything else. I'll recommend the Air Force since that is what I did. Right now you'd be looking to get into 3D0X2 if Systems Administration is what interests you, or one of the other 3D career fields for other areas of IT.

It will get you experience, your housing will not be an issue, your pay will be OK, and you'll get a security clearance. It will put you in a good spot to find a higher paying job when you get out in a few years.

The military was one my original ideas after I graduated from MSU back in 2009, but I'm an asthmatic who still have symptoms every now and again. Apparently, this is a deal breaker to the armed forces. If you have asthma past the age of 13, then you cannot join the military. A recruiter told me this.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    The military was one my original ideas after I graduated from MSU back in 2009, but I'm an asthmatic who still have symptoms every now and again. Apparently, this is a deal breaker to the armed forces. If you have asthma past the age of 13, then you cannot join the military. A recruiter told me this.

Well there are waivers for everything, that would certainly make it more difficult to get in.

I have flat feet and was told I couldn't. I got in anyway. It wasn't an issue for me until about halfway through my enlistment. I started having to go "on profile" seeing the doc, getting notes that said I wasn't allowed to run. Now that I am out, but still in the ANG, I have a permanant profile that says I can't run. I do a 1 mile walk for my fit test instead.

It really depends on how bad they need people in career fields that you qualify for. If they need people bad enough, they'll work around issues like that.
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    haven't read the whole thread but here's my $0.02

Breaking into a new field is always tricky.
    I'm going through the same frustration with trying to get my first networking gig, and i have a Bachelor's degree, CCNA, 4 yrs of help desk experience, 4 yrs in the military and can crimp my own patch cables!
    It's a chicken and egg story it feels like, they want you to have experience but no one will give you that chance to get experience. (If it makes you feel better one recruiter told me I need to find a more "junior" role than the "Junior Network Engineer" position I applied for :P )
    You need to find that right guy (or gal) who is willing to take a chance on you.
    I dunno what it is, certainly a numbers game, and you need to convey some level of technical confidence when you talk to people.
    Apply to staffing companies and nag them for gigs, even if only temporary.
    Those companies may forget you if you don't fit one of their immediate openings, so you got to nag them a little. (but in an enthusiastically positive way)
    If you ever fixed someones computer ask them if you can use them as a reference.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Far too many well meaning people telling you to postpone the situation by getting more certs that could take you a year to obtain..

The world and his aunt either works in IT and has experience now or wants to get it. I would say abandon corporate helpdesk roles. Support costs are being squeezed terribly now and more and more people are in there doing the same certs to get out. Most dont. Try the small shops in your area, the computer solutions providers, the integrators..check the yellow pages. There are lots of companies in your local phone book that could use a system administrator/computer guy. Be that. It will give you much wider exposure than being a helpdesk drone working another year and getting more certs to become the same as everyone else. Once in helpdesk, get out as quick as you can. Inside 5 years the wages and future wages for helpdesk people will head to a vanishing point.
  • Options
    I would have NEVER thought that I would get so many responses on this topic:D! You guys' advice has been extremely helpful! I love this field too much and I will keep applying, studying, and working on getting to where I need to be. If I have to move to another state, so be it. If I have to "look into the yellow pages" for small business IT shops, then so be it lol.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My Dad keeps telling me that I may have to leave the state of Michigan in order to find a job, but there's two issues with that suggestion:

I think your dad is right. I moved TO michigan after college to close to family and had the same issue. I came back to florida to find a job. I just left a desktop support role and I was making decent money there to live on my own. I managed to get 22/hour but I had my degrees to help. Most guys get about 16-$20 an hour for desktop roles in the area.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    ramirerramirer Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if you are still looking in MI but Apex systems, DeVry University, and TEKsystems were all looking for a Desktop Support tech recently. Two of them listed previous experience as a requirement but I applied with no experience and have received phone calls from all three.

Most of the desktop support jobs that I seen are around the Pontiac/Rochester Hills area. The ones I mentioned above were in Dearborn, Southfield, and Detroit.
  • Options
    ramirer wrote: »
    Not sure if you are still looking in MI but Apex systems, DeVry University, and TEKsystems were all looking for a Desktop Support tech recently. Two of them listed previous experience as a requirement but I applied with no experience and have received phone calls from all three.

Most of the desktop support jobs that I seen are around the Pontiac/Rochester Hills area. The ones I mentioned above were in Dearborn, Southfield, and Detroit.

Yes, I'm STILL lookingicon_cry.gif lol. But I will definitely check these places out. Thanks!
  • Options
    factory81factory81 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have this job that you speak of (West Mi), and if it weren't for knowing the right people I probably wouldn't have the job. But it required me bending over backwards if you will.

I never worked on printers, or specialized in lasers. Not only was I expected to work on them, but I needed to become certified on them. Between HP and Xerox I had to take 9 tests in total...

A+ was required, because I also needed to become an ACMT. Something I never was familiar with! Apple products.....2 tests for Apple....with yearly renewals needed. Counting with me? That is 13 tests so far.

70-685 and 70-680 to try and get a pay raise and get a certification worth owning. Oh yeah I had to become certified to work on HP's too. So that was HP2-H08 with the strings attached I would do HP2-T17, HP2-Z12, HP0-Y30 and HP0-Y31 as well so I can get moved up in to supporting more important projects.

Desktop support technician jobs suck, and they really want you to be more capable all the time. Just because you know how to troubleshoot - they want you to be able to deploy and setup machines properly.

Thats a big term too, deploy and setup. Because that can mean a lot of things...and involve several people (e.g. a CCNP:Voice to take care of the voip setup, a MS Server/Virtualization guru to setup all the vm's, and so on)

I would try and move up the ladder to more "meaningful jobs".

I knew a guy with an A+, his 70-685, 70-642, 4yr @ WMU in CiS, and he saw a job opening for a Sharepoint admin, so he studied in one weekend for 70-667/70-668, passed them on Monday, applied through the job hunting agency on Monday as well with these new certs in hand. Got a job 53,400/yr in GR, full benefits, 1st year paid vacation of 3 weeks with the opportunity to work up to 5, cell phone paid for, home internet connection, all his certs now are paid for and the employer loves it when he brings more in, and he can work remotely with his own discretion.

This is just simply knowing the right stuff at the right time it would seem. Which sucks because as you know no one can make up their mind and things are always progressing. So we are stuck in this constant wheel of testing/certifications/re-testing.

I have to give it up for my employer though. Giving me a MONSTER resume. They breed I.T. engineers I swear
  • Options
    ramirerramirer Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I'm STILL lookingicon_cry.gif lol. But I will definitely check these places out. Thanks!
    Well I got hired for one of the Apex Systems spots. It's a one month contract for help at St. Johns hospital. My first desktop support job so I am a bit nervous.
  • Options
    MC85MC85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ramirer wrote: »
    Well I got hired for one of the Apex Systems spots. It's a one month contract for help at St. Johns hospital. My first desktop support job so I am a bit nervous.

Yeah, my thing is I'm a little iffy on a short-term contract job. Right now I work on a helpdesk p/t (usually 30-something hours a week) but it's a permanent position so I can work there indefinitely.

I wouldn't mind a job (preferably full time) that paid more but I'd be a little worried about giving up a permanent job for a 3- or 6- month contract job and then being out of work if they don't decide to extend it. But then again my jobs a little stagnant and I might get better experience (and pay!) with a contract job, so I dunno. :/
  • Options
    I am also still looking for like a desktop support. I have applied everywhere and anywhere. No luck yet. I also cant do contract work. Right now I make pretty good money for Genesys hospital if your familiar with flint town. I think though thats the thing holding me back is they see im not working in my field even though i have previous experience. I really need to relocate but nothing is panning out. I dont know if a degree will help but either way completion is a year ish away.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    carajean wrote: »
    I am also a Mitten resident I have been looking for a desktop support job also for almost 2 years. I think what holding me back is currently I work in a non-IT field but have previous years experience ( computer tech ) and I do work on the side right now for local companies as their IT go to person but thats few and far between. I really honestly think that these jobs especially here in MI are being filled by people the HR person knows.

I also only have 3 years of college but didn't finish. No certs to boot. So im kinda stuck as to what to do because right now I need a job in the worse way so I can move closer to family and friends.

I also think my resume needs work but im unable to find any help with it.

Post your resume we can help you out (Just remove your address/name company name ect)

As for finding a desktop support job it depends on 2 things I find. One is location which you know doesn't look good where you currently live. The other is how to break in to desktop support (or any other level of IT unknown to you) is confidence. You have to show them why you can "eventually" do the job better than the other experienced candidates.

I would say apply for other jobs out of state while you are still living there and see what bites. Sometimes nowadays they will either fly you out for an interview if it's a high profile company or do a few phone interviews before you do a final interview out there on your own expense.

Keep your head up and def. go with the MCITP or MCDST.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    carajean wrote: »
    I am also still looking for like a desktop support. I have applied everywhere and anywhere. No luck yet. I also cant do contract work. Right now I make pretty good money for Genesys hospital if your familiar with flint town. I think though thats the thing holding me back is they see im not working in my field even though i have previous experience. I really need to relocate but nothing is panning out. I dont know if a degree will help but either way completion is a year ish away.

Unfortunately without experience all that sets you apart is certs (and/or a degree). Knock out MCDST and MCITP and you will have a much easier time getting a desktop support job. Another way to do it would be to move back to help desk and then even 2 months on that job start applying for desktop support jobs.