Options

Cisco To Fire 10,000 People

124»

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Yup, but that is true of any field, it's not security specific.

I agree, and the security genre is no different.

Again I disagree. I think it's still on the ramp up, everything I see in the industry and everything I hear from our recruiters in regards to demand validates this. And Security is one of the last things you can outsource, to be effective it has to be heavily based on context, and that is something 3rd parties will lack. It's not as simple as making sure a tunnel is up, or a filter in place, effective security teams need an end to end understanding of not just the network but the company processes in general. How else can you make a call on whether certain events or flows are an issue or not? It's not as Black & White as RS (not implying it takes more skill, but network level Infosec is the definitive grey-area, it's a different mindset...which is probably why you do see so many ineffective infosec engineers out there, they approach it just as the next hot thing without having that mindset).

We already outsource a number of webfacing security appliances to a third party party SOC. So are many other organisations when and where it is appropriate. There is a demand for people who have the deep end to end (E2E) understanding you speak of and that is where the best jobs are IMO, so if you can bring that to the table I think there are opportunities a plenty, one reason being the growth in threat and compliance, others being ineffective infosec professionals, policies and mindset. Security is vital and should be an explicit part of any IT Professional's brief, but we need more end to end focus.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    docrice wrote: »
    I'm very curious as to exactly what "doesn't understand how TCP works" means. Are we talking about someone who doesn't know what a three-way handshake is and just pushes a button to run a port scan, or someone who doesn't know in-depth the different set of TCP options each common OS supports?

Even more basic things than that to be honest, but I gotta train to catch so a discussion for another day I think!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Does Nortel rings a bell?

They too started this way and now all is left is dust!

Isn't Nortel still big in the voip arena?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Isn't Nortel still big in the voip arena?

They have a lot of deployments out here, but Avaya bought them out. Now Avaya is the biggest player in the VOIP arena by the sheer number of handsets they have out here. Best belive that all the Nortel equipment that is out here Avaya will be giving huge discounts when its time for them to upgrade.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Turgon wrote: »
    Again I disagree. I think it's still on the ramp up, everything I see in the industry and everything I hear from our recruiters in regards to demand validates this.

I think the ramp up is far from over. In fact, it may just be my awareness, but it seems thats it's only been in the last year or two that this has really begun to catch the public's attention. Thus, "acts of war" and such are being touted. In fact, I really think the understanding of the need for security for national interest is only in its infancy. That said, it is being bloated and a lot of the positions I scan over at the entry / intermediate level already seem to be more theoretical than technical. Why learn TCP/IP when you can just learn tools someone else has written. ncool.gif
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    That certainly hasn't been my experience, TAC has really gone to hell in recent years. Perhaps it is the fact that their escalation and senior guys leave and aren't replaced. It will only get worse with this news. I have been told on numerous occasions that "we don't know". This isn't what I look for when paying for vendor support. The only way to get any real answers through TAC is to make a lot of noise with your account manager and hopefully you will get one of the few good TAC guys left.

Very true!
    shodown wrote: »
    I know people from India seem to be the big pointing finger, but the reality is that a lot of corps have already decided to close up shop and move to the PI, and other places that already have a basic understanding of the English language.

Expect to see more people from other countries filling the support role as India is on the verge of becoming to expensive to outsource too.

I keep in touch with friends and families in the Philippines and from what they've been telling me, it is already happening. India is slowly getting expensive for companies and the way they can still get income with this BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) is to outsource it to other countries like Singapore or Philippines, who charges less.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I am! icon_thumright.gif

Tisoy for life. Mabuhay!

Pare! Tapsilog tayo!
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    kabayan!

Kabayan, don't take this the wrong way... but... How come you didn't know what PI meant? I hear PI from bay area peeps all the time!
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Story made it to CNN

Cisco to lay off 6,500 workers and sell Juarez plant - Jul. 18, 2011
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Cisco announced plans on Monday to lay off 9% of its workforce and to transfer another 7% of its staff to another company in a sale of one of its businesses.
    The networking giant said it would hand out pink slips to 6,500 employees, including 2,100 who volunteered for early retirement packages.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Seems its not just CISCO feeling the pinch...

Juniper catches 'Cisco flu' - The Times of India
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    zerglings wrote: »
    Very true!

I keep in touch with friends and families in the Philippines and from what they've been telling me, it is already happening. India is slowly getting expensive for companies and the way they can still get income with this BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) is to outsource it to other countries like Singapore or Philippines, who charges less.

Pare! Tapsilog tayo!

Kabayan, don't take this the wrong way... but... How come you didn't know what PI meant? I hear PI from bay area peeps all the time!
    I know what it meant but I had to make sure. lol

Too bad they pay dirt cheap to those guys that work in IT. Some people that I know that used to work for Cisco moved to HP. I guess HP is paying them more.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I know what it meant but I had to make sure. lol

Too bad they pay dirt cheap to those guys that work in IT. Some people that I know that used to work for Cisco moved to HP. I guess HP is paying them more.

I am a sub-contractor on an HP owned contract (NMCI) I am expecting to be employed by HP in about 6 months :) I was shooting for Cisco but the opportunity is here, and now.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Juniper has a huge presence in the service provider world, especially when it comes to routing, but they're making inroads into the Enterprise market. The Enterprise is still Cisco's bread and better, but yeah, folks like Brocade and HP are not making it easy on them.

The end result is that we're likely to see prices on Cisco gear drop as well. At some point they're going to have to realize that large portions of their market have become commoditized, and the margins they expect are simply unrealistic. Not everyone can get away with being Apple.

It wouldn't surprise me to see prices on gear drop, but prices on the service contracts rise.

High margins invite competition. When that stops happening, capitalism and the western economies have failed. At that point it's time to stop stocking up on certs and start stocking up on guns, ammo, and seeds.

Most companies require quotes from multiple vendors for any significant project. As the feature sets of Juniper and ProCurve got closer to Cisco, it became harder to justify the price difference. Staff preference for a certain vendor - due to training, certifications and experience - may still overcome that price difference. However, at some point it is cheaper to send a couple engineers to JunOS training than buy Cisco equipment.